MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure what his mother's condition was before she died and if she was lucid, but if she knew what was going on at the time his family found out he was killed, I can't imagine how absolutely awful her last four days must have been. :( I am sure she was very proud of him and all he had accomplished.

"According to the Detroit Police Department, an unknown individual broke into the home of 53-year-old Dr. Devon Hoover sometime during the night of Saturday, April 29, extending into Sunday, April 30."

Detroit police investigating break-in at home of murdered neurosurgeon

Did the intruder remain on the property for an extended amount of time or are they not certain when the breakin occurred or both? That's both stupid and courageous of the perp to B&E.

"We are confident no other residents are at risk and this was not an incident where the victim's home was broken into or the act was random," said White, who spoke following the department's latest graduation ceremony for new recruits.

Police investigating break-in at home of slain Detroit neurosurgeon Devon Hoover

"This was not an incident where the victim's home was broken into..." (Oh.)

Was there a search for evidence by the perp that may implicate themselves in the murder? If so, what could that be? A lost ball cap, broken eye glasses, lost eye contact lens, computer? How did the perp see while inside the home at night? The mystery deepens.

I know this is getting ahead of things, but I am thinking about the historical house/mansion that he so lovingly restored, and the grounds that are so impeccably kept. Apparently he held multiple charity events at his home, including for the opera and other cultural organizations. I would love to see a local philanthropist purchase the home from his family (if he left the home to his family if he had a will, or if he didn't then it would go to his family automatically, I believe). And turn it into the Devon Hoover Museum or something similar in his name (or the Devon Hoover Center for the Arts, or something similar).

Gardening groups could also maintain it, the fountains, plants, etc. This assumes the family will not want to keep it, I suppose it depends on their finances. But if they do decide to sell it, then I hope it is purchased by a wealthy philanthropist or philanthropic organization. And with a family member or two serving on the board to ensure it stays true to his memory. Just some thoughts on the future of this wonderful property that Dr. Hoover so lovingly restored and poured so much of himself into.

Edited to add - So many I think would love to see a monument/place like this in his memory and generations would be able to learn about this unique soul at the Hoover House in Detroit, Michigan.
I bet the house was immaculately and beautifully maintained.

I'm not sure what his mother's condition was before she died and if she was lucid, but if she knew what was going on at the time his family found out he was killed, I can't imagine how absolutely awful her last four days must have been. :( I am sure she was very proud of him and all he had accomplished.
Family members stated that they did not tell the mother that DH had been murdered. The mother apparently had cancer and was in hospice at some point, so her passing was not unexpected, although of course very sad and the family lost their mother and Devon during a four-day period.

Family members stated that they did not tell the mother that DH had been murdered. The mother apparently had cancer and was in hospice at some point, so her passing was not unexpected, although of course very sad and the family lost their mother and Devon during a four-day period.

Thanks for the info. So deeply sad.

People on the Facebook page said she was in a semicoma, and they did not tell her.

It was Devon not showing up for a scheduled final visit that prompted the wellness-check call.

Read The Rules folks. Sleuthing and discussing people who have not been officially named a POI or suspect in a case is not allowed at Websleuths. This is just common decency.

To bring an innocent person's name or online persona into any discussion at Websleuths can result in them being associated online with a murder. It has the potential to encourage an entire internet to start sleuthing them, possibly outing them, and possibly wreaking havoc with their life.

Do NOT do this.

A person of interest arrested Friday in connection with the death of a neurosurgeon found dead in his Boston-Edison home last week has been released, police said.

"We can confirm that the person of interest taken into custody on April 28 has been discharged following prosecutorial review," officials said in a tweet Tuesday. "Homicide personnel will continue to investigate the information in its possession and follow up on any leads it receives."

The person of interest, a man, was taken into police custody just after midnight last Friday in connection with the death of Dr. Devon Hoover. Hoover, 53, was found shot to death in his home last week Sunday...

DETROIT – A person of interest who was in police custody in connection with the Detroit neurosurgeon, who was murdered in April, has been released.

Police said on Tuesday that the person of interest who was taken into custody on April 28 had been discharged following a prosecutorial review. Following the release, officials say that homicide personnel will continue to investigate the murder and follow up on any leads they receive...

Person of interest in death of Detroit neurosurgeon has been released, police say

DETROIT – A person of interest who was in police custody in connection with the Detroit neurosurgeon, who was murdered in April, has been released.

Police said on Tuesday that the person of interest who was taken into custody on April 28 had been discharged following a prosecutorial review. Following the release, officials say that homicide personnel will continue to investigate the murder and follow up on any leads they receive.

Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, was found with gunshot wounds, wrapped in plastic in his attic on April 23. Police were called on that day to conduct a welfare check at the doctor’s Detroit home, as he did not arrive to visit his mother as planned.

More at link . . .

...It's unclear at this time how the now-free person of interest was linked by investigators to the death of Dr. Devon Hoover.

Authorities have not discussed a possible motive for the killing, but Detroit Police Chief James White said investigators do believe that the doctor knew his killed, and that this was not the result of a home break-in or a random act...

...It's unclear at this time how the now-free person of interest was linked by investigators to the death of Dr. Devon Hoover.

Authorities have not discussed a possible motive for the killing, but Detroit Police Chief James White said investigators do believe that the doctor knew his killed, and that this was not the result of a home break-in or a random act...

I was disappointed when I read this POI was released. I was hoping this person was the suspect and would be charged. oh well. I hope the police have leads on this very sad and tragic case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15
Back