MI - Nevaeh Buchanan, 5, Monroe, 24 May 2009 - Body found - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being snotty at all, genuinely curious what the life she was born into is? Do I think she was victimized as a child in order to have the poor boundaries that we see her exhibit today? Yeah, I do. But I am not sure what that really means today, in regards to her duty as a mother?

The "life I was born into" was to a 16 year old drug addict who had been victimized herself. Grew up in various forms of welfare apartments, mentally and physically abused by her and boyfriends, and molested by the type of men that are attracted to women who are drinking and drugging with their daughter in tow. Was she just living the life she was born into? I don't have kids as I wouldn't trust myself to have the nurturing/patience that it would require. I have seen another poster on this thread today talking about what I perceive to be a similar background and she isn't suggesting that JB is anything less than responsible for this situation, at least a major contributor.

I don't want to be uncaring about how she got to the place she is, but my experience in life is that you can't excuse continuously outrageous behavior in an adult because their childhood sucked. Life can be cruel, at some point you have to grow up, or if you want to be self destructive do it with adults as your cohorts, don't drag a kid through it. Someone has to do something and someone has to be held accountable or we are just sitting by and watching the next generation be groomed to do it all over again.

All eyes are on JB and RSO friends because this story has been seen before and it always ends the same way. Neveah didn't live her short childhood that included all of those factors and also fall into the 3% of stranger abductions and even if she did her mother wasn't watching her and had no clue where she was. It is still neglect.

Hi Impatient, I don't think she was victimized intentionally by her mother to into a life where poor boundaries would rule her life. She grew up in the boundaries set by her parents which became a way of life for her and evidently never was given the tools to move off the treadmill she was on into a life with positive direction. xox

That wasn't very well said! LOL

I heard a remarkable quote last night and thought it was applicable here:

Many of us as children are given baggage that we must carry into adulthood. However, once we become adults it's our responsibility to unpack them. Just a thought.

Impatientredhead: How great!! You are a survivor of a horrendous childhood and I send your way all my heartfelt hugs...

I agree - Jennifer was neglectful as a mom and who knows what else she has failed in. My question is - was there intent on her part to be neglectful? Or is Jennifer doing the 'best she can'? Education, IQ, caring people, religion, and all life and personal circumstances give the options necessary to live a better life from what was experienced as a child. If Jennifer is a known drug abuser, the child should have been taken from her. As someone earlier pointed out, was DCFS negligent in taking care of Nevaeh?

I can't disagree with that. Grandma and Uncle both knew that JB was exposing Nevaeh to SO's and they'd had words with JB over it, but apparently the courts knew too and they didn't step in. If my child got mixed up in drugs and committed crimes to support their habit but then did their time, I would support them to the best of my ability when they got out because they'd deserve their shot at a second chance. There's no indication that NB has committed any crimes since she was released.

This is not a typical middle class family. They are all undereducated, not overly intelligent, and they've been raised in a different lifestyle than what most of us are familiar with. If Grandma made some poor choices, I can't fault her for it. She's suffering greatly for her bad choices, we don't need to shove her mistakes down her throat.

Stupid question here? When the mother was released from prison, did she complete her sentance, or was she parolled? In other words is she still under the jurisdiction of the corrections departments and the courts? is she still on probation? Because if she is still on probation won't she end up going back in, just for the direct associations with the violent RSO felons? let alone bringing a child into direct contact with them?

Impatientredhead: How great!! You are a survivor of a horrendous childhood and I send your way all my heartfelt hugs...

I agree - Jennifer was neglectful as a mom and who knows what else she has failed in. My question is - was there intent on her part to be neglectful? Or is Jennifer doing the 'best she can'? Education, IQ, caring people, religion, and all life and personal circumstances give the options necessary to live a better life from what was experienced as a child. If Jennifer is a known drug abuser, the child should have been taken from her. As someone earlier pointed out, was DCFS negligent in taking care of Nevaeh?

I don't know, and it is just so sad and so frustrating. We cannot protect kids who are not being protected by their caregivers, it is just impossible. I don't know how or when we intervene, but I don't think wrapping these moms up in victim labels helps anyone. Lowering the bar for we expect from them does not help them or their kid.

And I do know first hand that it doesn't matter one bit to a 5 year old whether mom is doing the best she can or not when she is being victimized by the men mom has invited through the front door. The majority of these situations *seem* to me to be women that are more than intelligent enough to know right from wrong, and that the real issue is putting their wants above their child's needs. Being in denial doesn't make the act less intentional in my eyes, but I am open to the idea that I am very biased in my perceptions (I still think I am right though... LOL).

She is on probation for Home Invasion. The RSO's in custody have broken the law. She could be jailed for stupidity maybe and/or Child Neglect. Didn't Casey get nailed for that first before they charged her with more?

I certainly understand - although it will very very emotional I feel like if people not from this area saw it - it would help them figure out what really happened to this poor little girl.

Okay...I went. Like I said, it is really close to my house. I am pretty sure that a reporter snapped my picture too. I ran into family while there, and she shot a pic while I was hugging them goodbye.

It was horrible. Truly horrible. I was okay until I got about a minute from it, and then I started to feel a buzz in my body. Then when I got there, all I could do was stare down at where she was and cry.

There is no picture that could show accurately how steep that it. I have no idea how he got her down that embankment. None. Cement he could have slid down, but not her because of the stones and vines in the path that leads down. I can't imagine how someone can get down that without assistance during the day, yet alone at night carrying a small child.

I took pictures. I will load them and post them in a bit.

In JB's Corrections Department bio, it lists: "Tattoo- Lower Right Ankle - Cross with banner above states "Amyah" and banner below states 'Mom.' "

Is Amyah a person's name? Sorry if this was previously addressed and I missed it.

Per America's Most Wanted, Amyah is Nevaeh's middle name.

Missing Child

Person Given Name : Nevaeh

Person Middle Name : Amyah

Person Sur Name : Buchanan

ETA: Amyah means Beautiful angel

Mel

Okay...I went. Like I said, it is really close to my house. I am pretty sure that a reporter snapped my picture too. I ran into family while there, and she shot a pic while I was hugging them goodbye.

It was horrible. Truly horrible. I was okay until I got about a minute from it, and then I started to feel a buzz in my body. Then when I got there, all I could do was stare down at where she was and cry.

There is no picture that could show accurately how steep that it. I have no idea how he got her down that embankment. None. Cement he could have slid down, but not her because of the stones and vines in the path that leads down. I can't imagine how someone can get down that without assistance during the day, yet alone at night carrying a small child.

You're awesome, thank you for your up close information. Could 2 men have been in a boat, docked there, carried her out with the cement, etc. does this seem likely? I heard there was a beer can underneath the spot where Nevaeh was buried, is this true information?

She is on probation for Home Invasion. The RSO's in custody have broken the law. She could be jailed for stupidity maybe and/or Child Neglect. Didn't Casey get nailed for that first before they charged her with more?

KR where can we find her probation status information? I could only find her entry at the Michigan Dept. of Corrections:

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=627126

On that site if you scroll down it says

PROBATION SENTENCES
ACTIVE None
INACTIVE None

SUPERVISION CONDITIONS
None

(sorry for the caps I copied and pasted 'cuz I'm lazy like that). TIA for direction to have a look for myself. :)

Scarlett: Thanks for going and posting pictures - it has to be a terrible experience to be so close. The perp is still out there, somewhere, and I hope you take good care of yourself. As was mentioned yesterday, maybe a boat was used.

KR where can we find her probation status information? I could only find her entry at the Michigan Dept. of Corrections:

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=627126

On that site if you scroll down it says

PROBATION SENTENCES
ACTIVE None
INACTIVE None

SUPERVISION CONDITIONS
None

(sorry for the caps I copied and pasted 'cuz I'm lazy like that). TIA for direction to have a look for myself. :)

You are correct, I deem alot of my information from HLN, obviously incorrect information. The Home Invasion was in 2006. Chances are she served 24 months probation. So she's clean for now....

SuziQ....Of course LE has to consider relatives, as we all know they 'are' often the perps, but they are just as often 'not'. Look at the Elizabeth Smart case in Utah..where the family was suspected but innocent. I don't think 'mothers kill their children every day' the media makes it look like this for ratings and profit. I think if you look at the official crime statistics you'll see women are very very rarely murderers, and only a tiny minority of mothers kill their children...like maybe 1 in 100,000, it's really rare.

Actually the only crimes women commit in the same numbers as men are shoplifting and killing their kids.

When a parent kills a child, the mother is as likely as the father to be the murderer. But, dads are more often sentenced to LWOP or to receive the death penalty. Moms are more often hospitalized or receive a lighter sentence.

http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/

You are correct, I deem alot of my information from HLN, obviously incorrect information. The Home Invasion was in 2006. Chances are she served 24 months probation. So she's clean for now....

I have seen several sources saying she did 9-11 months but according to the link above the offense was in 8-2006, she was sentenced in 12-2006, 2 year minimum, released 01-26-09. So she missed two plus years of with Neveah? And was home for a 120 days before her daughter was dead? And GK says they have known each other for two years, but she was in jail two years ago so how did they meet at the parole office? I am confused, again, or still.

There are millions of single, uneducated, disadvantaged mothers w all manner of histories from every background imaginable who do their job and take their role as a parent seriously everyday. I must agree w red who pointed out that accountability is crucial and that to go on denying the very real link between quality of parenting and the proportionate level of risks this poses to children is simply to ensure these patterns continue. It isn't about rubbing someone's nose in their mistakes, it is about accepting the responsibility for any child--and raising up a standard, becoming a voice for defenseless children against child neglect and endangerment thus learning from these tragedies in order hopefully to prevent future crimes against children.

As is the case w eg's given (children left in cars, no car seats etc), there is more than one level of culpability. And it is ALL about choices. Even GM in this case made the CHOICE, in light of her daughter's own parenting unfitness, to accept guardianship thus assuming responsibility to protect and care for Nevaeh herself. No one forced GM to assume this role, and if she didn't feel she could do so if it meant denying her daughter housing; or do so w/out resorting to Nevaeh's mother as a caregiver; or do so while working it was her option to decline. But whomever assumed that role and assumed custody of Nevaeh was the sole person who had both a legal duty and moral obligation to put Nevaeh FIRST and keep Nevaeh SAFE. It isn't about judgmentalism or tossing anyone on their can, it's about protecting those who can not protect themselves, not jeopardizing the only chance at life or safety Nevaeh had; not exposing a child to known predators nor leaving her w any who themselves choose to associate w them. For all we know there could well have been a longstanding pattern of enablement by GM-- and had GM taken a stand or set firmer boundaries and healthier limits w JB, perhaps this little girl might've lived to one day know the joy of being truly valued by her mother; as Nevaeh's mother may have learned parenting is a PRIVILEGE and that parents are STEWARDS who are not given but ENTRUSTED w children. And that those who neglect to take their responsibility seriously or to sacrifice and prioritize accordingly may one day find themselves without those responsibilities--or that unequalled privilege. Life is full of choices, yet the hard truth is the fewer consequences we're given, the fewer choices we will be left w in the end.

:parrot:

I haven't caught up but I want to respond to the above. While I understand the point that is being made, one thing is sticking in my craw. Everyone is acting as if JB was adjudicated to be unfit, and custody was taken away from her. This is not the case. GM was guardian simply bc JB was going to prison and for no other reason that I am aware of. GM still had custody, but that, I believe, was more a function of not having gone to the court to change custody back to JB. No one ever said that JB couldn't care for NB, be around NB, or anything of the sort. And her conviction for home invasion would not lead to that conclusion, either, as the crime has nothing to do with harming her.

Just because someone has committed a felony does not mean that their parental rights are terminated.

The Elizabeth Smart case contained a TOTALLY differant set of circumstances. They did not have Registered SO's as best friends, hanging out with their daughter. Jennifer knew this guy was a SO and claimed he was a "father figure" to Nevaeh. Jennifer knew he was not supposed to have any contact with children, yet she let him do so. Jennifer had Nevaeh, at four months old, in the car while she went in to rob a home for drug money. I am sorry, I can not see this woman as a "victim".

Sorry to nag, but I have only seen the "baby NB in the car while JB robbed a house" posted as a rumor on MT (which has a TON of rumors). Has any reputable news source printed this?

Sorry if it sounded like I wanted to be correct! LOL I was like dang I need to go look at that too :)

Sorry to nag, but I have only seen the "baby NB in the car while JB robbed a house" posted as a rumor on MT (which has a TON of rumors). Has any reputable news source printed this?

I did a google news search 6 ways to Sunday looking for confirmation of that Scarlett.

I can't find it. I'm approaching it as rumor until I see it reported or out of the mouth of one of the key players themselves.

http://mojo.channel955.com/cc-commo...449&STATION_ID=WKQIM-IP&TRACK=Nevaeh_Buchanan

has anyone listened to THIS radio interview? JB does not even know at this time whether Neveah even made it upstairs! Didn't she claim to "look" for herself for 45 minutes? Wouldn't she look there first?????

Also she claims she is NOT pregnant by George Kennedy. ((even tho the radio DJ said that a friend of Jennifer's called in earlier today to say she was pregnant with his child))

She did not state she is NOT pregnant...

Someone is the background is yelling "that's what you get!" while she is explaining away the Sex offender reasoning... ie why she let the SO around her child

There is a lot more... there are three spots at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop