MI MI - Paige Renkoski, 30, Fowlerville, 24 May 1990

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also of note, LE has never said there was any new damage to Paige's vehicle as if she'd been bumped.

ETA to add link. BBM

With what would have been less than a half hour left on the drive to Lansing, Paige pulled her car off on the side of I-96. Robert Getschman, a cold-case investigator in Livingston County looking into Paige’s case, told Dateline, “there was no damage to the vehicle at all,” so it’s unclear why Paige stopped on the interstate that day.

I agree with many of the posts here. For some reason Paige pulled over alongside the highway. There could have been any number of reasons for her doing so, as has been mentioned.

Since Paige has never been heard from since this sighting on 24 May, 1990, and since this particular maroon van has never been found (AFAIK), then logic suggests she entered the van, willingly or not, and was driven away to an unknown location. By the time LE arrived at the scene and found her still-running car several hours later, Paige could have been literally anywhere.

I agree with many of the posts here. For some reason Paige pulled over alongside the highway. There could have been any number of reasons for her doing so, as has been mentioned.

Since Paige has never been heard from since this sighting on 24 May, 1990, and since this particular maroon van has never been found (AFAIK), then logic suggests she entered the van, willingly or not, and was driven away to an unknown location. By the time LE arrived at the scene and found her still-running car several hours later, Paige could have been literally anywhere.
This case haunts me-- my now deceased mother and I discussed it all the time when it happened

and years later as well.

Per this site, the weather that day was 14C (57F) and sunny in Fowlerville that day.

I stand corrected. There are so many articles that discuss this case, and one (or more) did say that it was raining that day.

However, I stand by the rest of my previous post, though will add more detail(s). I.e., it's still plausible that a very minor car accident may have occurred & that this somehow led to her disappearance. To clarify, even if the slight front bumper damage to her car was pre-existing....IMHO it's still plausible that her car either slightly tapped/hit another car, or that her car was slightly tapped/hit from behind. And, in either case - this may not have resulted in any extremely visible damage. But - because of this - both parties may have still pulled over on the side of the highway.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. There are so many articles that discuss this case, and one (or more) did say that it was raining that day.
It's interesting to read the original articles on some of these older cases and see how some of the little facts get changed in the reporting.

It was not raining, she'd been at the park with a friend and was on her way to see her boyfriend play softball at another park closer to her home when she disappeared

JMO/YMMV

It was not raining, she'd been at the park with a friend and was on her way to see her boyfriend play softball at another park closer to her home when she disappeared

JMO/YMMV
I am thinking the way the car was left running and her shoes off- perhaps she was driving with no shoes- so she is driving a long and someone uses a ruse to make her quickly pull off the freeway-
perhaps she was led to believe there was some type of emergency with her car so she gets out of her car quickly with no shoes- at that point she was taken quickly.

@Nina Michigan did LE ever find the maroon van the men were driving? I don’t recall it ever being found but wanted to check. Thanks.

@Nina Michigan did LE ever find the maroon van the men were driving? I don’t recall it ever being found but wanted to check. Thanks.
afaik the van was never found. They have interviewed some men as potential POI but no suspects have ever been named.

I am thinking the way the car was left running and her shoes off- perhaps she was driving with no shoes- so she is driving a long and someone uses a ruse to make her quickly pull off the freeway-
perhaps she was led to believe there was some type of emergency with her car so she gets out of her car quickly with no shoes- at that point she was taken quickly.

Yes, these are my thoughts as well. I.e., I don't think this was a case where she took her shoes off prior to getting out of the car (which would be unusual). But, she may have been driving without shoes on to begin with, and had to get out of the car quickly - so didn't take the time to put them back on. Hence, they were left in the car.

As a guy, I always drive with shoes on. But, after doing research on this I have read that women sometimes drive without shoes on because it may be more comfortable this way; this may depend on the type(s) of shoes that are worn, etc.

JMO/YMMV

Thank you. I wish I could have gone back & edited my previous post (where I mention the rain) for clarity, but you're not able to edit posts after a certain period of time.

Last edited:
Yes, these are my thoughts as well. I.e., I don't think this was a case where she took her shoes off prior to getting out of the car (which would be unusual). But, she may have been driving without shoes on to begin with, and had to get out of the car quickly - so didn't take the time to put them back on. Hence, they were left in the car.

As a guy, I always drive with shoes on. But, after doing research on this I have read that women sometimes drive without shoes on because it's more comfortable & possibly due to the type(s) of shoes that are worn, etc.

Thank you. I wish I could have gone back & edited my previous post (where I mention the rain) for clarity, but you're not able to edit posts after a certain period of time.
I do think women might take their heels off for comfort sometimes when driving- men probably don't do that (since most of them don't wear heels LOL)

Thanks for confirming that Nina. I do not remember the van being found, or seen, after Paige was last seen along the highway.

Going from memory, I seem to remember that one or more men in prison for other offenses were questioned regarding her disappearance but I don’t know that anyone was officially named as a POI in this case.

Paige Renkoski​

Paige Marie Renkoski

Paige Marie Renkoski (NamUs)
It has been nearly 33 years since Paige Marie Renkoski disappeared.

Renkoski, 30, was a substitute school teacher who was living in Okemos. She was last seen on May 24, 1990, standing on the side of I-96.

Renkoski drove her mother to Detroit Metro Airport that morning, then visited with a friend who lived in Canton Township. She was seen at a party store in Canton Township later that afternoon, where she purchased a beer.

Witnesses told police they saw Renkoski on the side of the freeway speaking with a man next to a maroon minivan.

Her vehicle, a 2-door silver/gray Oldsmobile, was found stopped and running on the westbound shoulder of I-96, about half a mile from the Fowlerville exit. The windshield wipers were on and her purse, shoes and the beer she purchased were found inside the vehicle.

Investigators have received and investigated more than 1,000 tips since she disappeared. Police have searched several locations using crews, cadaver dogs, ground-penetrating radar and other methods. Renkoski or her remains have never been located.

Paige Renkoski​

Paige Marie Renkoski

Paige Marie Renkoski (NamUs)
It has been nearly 33 years since Paige Marie Renkoski disappeared.

Renkoski, 30, was a substitute school teacher who was living in Okemos. She was last seen on May 24, 1990, standing on the side of I-96.

Renkoski drove her mother to Detroit Metro Airport that morning, then visited with a friend who lived in Canton Township. She was seen at a party store in Canton Township later that afternoon, where she purchased a beer.

Witnesses told police they saw Renkoski on the side of the freeway speaking with a man next to a maroon minivan.

Her vehicle, a 2-door silver/gray Oldsmobile, was found stopped and running on the westbound shoulder of I-96, about half a mile from the Fowlerville exit. The windshield wipers were on and her purse, shoes and the beer she purchased were found inside the vehicle.

Investigators have received and investigated more than 1,000 tips since she disappeared. Police have searched several locations using crews, cadaver dogs, ground-penetrating radar and other methods. Renkoski or her remains have never been located.

Thank you for remembering this lovely young woman--- the fact her windshield wipers were on suggests to me that she stopped quickly, probably pulled over by who she may have thought were the police, or by a ruse, someone suggesting something was wrong with her car. This idea is supported by the fact that her purse and shoes were found inside the vehicle. My hope of course is that some day this case will be solved, but truly, It seems that is just that: hope.

Thank you for remembering this lovely young woman--- the fact her windshield wipers were on suggests to me that she stopped quickly, probably pulled over by who she may have thought were the police, or by a ruse, someone suggesting something was wrong with her car. This idea is supported by the fact that her purse and shoes were found inside the vehicle. My hope of course is that some day this case will be solved, but truly, It seems that is just that: hope.

Sitting here thinking about poor Paige, it breaks my heart to think she was totally tricked into pulling over on the shoulder. She was fooled--- It is horrifying to just imagine how her abduction went down. It is so obvious to me now (it just sorta dawned on me)-- the car was still running with the wipers going.---

Indeed, based on what's been reported it's entirely plausible that Paige was somehow tricked or coerced into pulling her car over to the shoulder of I-96. I've read several theories about how this may have been done, but all we know for certain is that she did pull over to the shoulder of I-96, and was seen by witnesses talking to one or more men near a maroon-colored minivan. As @Nina Michigan indicated, there have been no reports of this minivan ever being found.

Clearly Paige's vehicle was fully functional, as it was still running hours later when LE found it. I do not recall reading about any signs of violence or struggle in or near her car, and it's unclear why Paige left the scene with these men. Logic suggests that she was somehow forced to enter the van with these men, but specifics of how this may have taken place are unknown.

renkoski_paige7.jpg

Paige Renkoski, age 30
Missing since 24 May 1990

Renkoski was a substitute teacher from DeWitt Township, Michigan near Okemos in 1990. She dropped her mother off at Detroit Metro Airport on May 24, 1990, then turned around to go home. She apparently stopped on the westbound shoulder of Interstate 96 one-half mile from the Fowlerville, Michigan exit at 3:30 p.m.

She was last seen speaking with two unidentified African-American males. They were standing near a maroon or burgundy minivan. A photo of a similar van is posted with this case summary. There may have been a third man in or near the van. Renkoski was seen gesturing, throwing her hands up in the air, and one of the men put his hand on her shoulder.

A motorist who saw Renkoski and the individual at approximately 3:30 p.m. became concerned when he passed Renkoski's vehicle at the same location four hours later at approximately 7:30 p.m. Investigators were summoned to the scene at that time and found Renkoski's silver 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais abandoned.

The keys were in the ignition, the lights and radio were on, the doors were unlocked and the engine was idling. The driver's side door was unlocked and Renkoski's purse, wallet and shoes were found inside the vehicle, as well as an open bottle of beer. There was no damage to the vehicle. Renkoski has never been seen again.

Authorities are not sure why Renkoski was speaking to the unidentified men and they do not know if they were connected in any way to her disappearance, but her family says she would have stopped if she saw someone she knew.

Renkoski was close with her mother and was also engaged to be married in November 1990. Family members told investigators that Renkoski may have been having problems with her fiance in May 1990, but it is not believed she chose to voluntarily leave the area for that reason, and her fiance has been ruled out as a suspect. She had recently deposited a large sum of money in her bank account, which was untouched following her disappearance. She did not have any travel plans.

Three unsolved abduction/murders of young women occurred in the 1980s in the general area where Renkoski vanished. At around the same time, there were multiple incidents of people impersonating police officers and showing fake badges to motorists to get them to stop. It is not known if these murders and other incidents are related to Renkoski's disappearance.

Authorities reopened Renkoski's case in the late 1990s. An unidentified inmate in a Michigan prison was named as a suspect in Renkoski's case in May 2001. The man was in prison for carjacking; his victim was a young woman and the crime occurred only weeks after Renkoski disappeared.

Police interviewed the suspect several times and believed he had been one of the men Renkoski spoke to shortly before she went missing, but when the individual took a lie detector test, he passed and investigators eliminated him from their inquiry.

Sketches of six suspects in Renkoski's disappearance are posted with this case summary (see link). They have never been identified. Foul play is now suspected in her case.

LINK:

renkoski_paige7.jpg

Paige Renkoski, age 30
Missing since 24 May 1990

Renkoski was a substitute teacher from DeWitt Township, Michigan near Okemos in 1990. She dropped her mother off at Detroit Metro Airport on May 24, 1990, then turned around to go home. She apparently stopped on the westbound shoulder of Interstate 96 one-half mile from the Fowlerville, Michigan exit at 3:30 p.m.

She was last seen speaking with two unidentified African-American males. They were standing near a maroon or burgundy minivan. A photo of a similar van is posted with this case summary. There may have been a third man in or near the van. Renkoski was seen gesturing, throwing her hands up in the air, and one of the men put his hand on her shoulder.

A motorist who saw Renkoski and the individual at approximately 3:30 p.m. became concerned when he passed Renkoski's vehicle at the same location four hours later at approximately 7:30 p.m. Investigators were summoned to the scene at that time and found Renkoski's silver 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais abandoned.

The keys were in the ignition, the lights and radio were on, the doors were unlocked and the engine was idling. The driver's side door was unlocked and Renkoski's purse, wallet and shoes were found inside the vehicle, as well as an open bottle of beer. There was no damage to the vehicle. Renkoski has never been seen again.

Authorities are not sure why Renkoski was speaking to the unidentified men and they do not know if they were connected in any way to her disappearance, but her family says she would have stopped if she saw someone she knew.

Renkoski was close with her mother and was also engaged to be married in November 1990. Family members told investigators that Renkoski may have been having problems with her fiance in May 1990, but it is not believed she chose to voluntarily leave the area for that reason, and her fiance has been ruled out as a suspect. She had recently deposited a large sum of money in her bank account, which was untouched following her disappearance. She did not have any travel plans.

Three unsolved abduction/murders of young women occurred in the 1980s in the general area where Renkoski vanished. At around the same time, there were multiple incidents of people impersonating police officers and showing fake badges to motorists to get them to stop. It is not known if these murders and other incidents are related to Renkoski's disappearance.

Authorities reopened Renkoski's case in the late 1990s. An unidentified inmate in a Michigan prison was named as a suspect in Renkoski's case in May 2001. The man was in prison for carjacking; his victim was a young woman and the crime occurred only weeks after Renkoski disappeared.

Police interviewed the suspect several times and believed he had been one of the men Renkoski spoke to shortly before she went missing, but when the individual took a lie detector test, he passed and investigators eliminated him from their inquiry.

Sketches of six suspects in Renkoski's disappearance are posted with this case summary (see link). They have never been identified. Foul play is now suspected in her case.

LINK:

Thank you for posting this very informative summary of the case.
I have to say that I have little to no faith in lie detector tests as sociopaths pass them all the time and innocent people can fail them. I am sorry to hear this person who passed the lie detector test was ruled out. Good detectives know this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flint80
Back