GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Personally, this case outrages me.

IMO, he had no right to open his door and shoot her. If he's going with the "accidental discharge" claim, then why would his lawyer say this?

"Cheryl Carpenter, the attorney representing the homeowner, told The Detroit News that the shooting was "justified." "I'm confident when the evidence comes it will show that my client was justified and acted as a reasonable person would who was in fear for his life."

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

So which is it? He was in fear of his life so he shot her, or the gun accidentally went off?

The bottom line is it's not right. An innocent young girl lost her life.

JMO

She was bleeding from the head, possibly disoriented and her cell phone was dead. She was looking for help. A witness said she ran back into her house to call 911 for Renisha, but when she came back out to check on her, she had wandered off.

Seeing as how her head was bleeding and she had just had a car crash, it seems very likely she was hurt, afraid and disoriented.

Instead of help, she was murdered. Awesome.

I've read way to many differing stories as to what really happened concerning the car accident. And who actually called 911 and an ambulance. I'll wait for Kim Worthy (whom I have alot of respect for) to get the real facts. <modsnip>

I do not believe this has anything to do with race.

This is the first I have heard of the case and just want to say I am struck at how beautiful she was. Her image is going to stick in my brain. So very sad.

Personally, this case outrages me.

IMO, he had no right to open his door and shoot her. If he's going with the "accidental discharge" claim, then why would his lawyer say this?

"Cheryl Carpenter, the attorney representing the homeowner, told The Detroit News that the shooting was "justified." "I'm confident when the evidence comes it will show that my client was justified and acted as a reasonable person would who was in fear for his life."

Link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

So which is it? He was in fear of his life so he shot her, or the gun accidentally went off?

The bottom line is it's not right. An innocent young girl lost her life.

JMO

you are right, the attorney statement surely does not line up with the accidental discharge. There are accidental shootings, there are justifiable shootings and then there is whatever name you want to put on whatever the hell this was because IMO, this was neither accidental nor justifiable. MOO :cow

none of this passes my smell test....

Seriously...Detroit is the shooting capitol of the world. There were probably a dozen or more that same evening that didn't involve homeowners in fear for their lives. Why anyone would intentionally live there, I have no idea. But if someone's trying to get in to my house in the detroit area after 3 a.m. I'm the most justified shooter on the block, imo.

A sad loss. Tragically similar to the recent case in North Carolina.

People are more afraid of strangers at their door in the night. Much more often, we hear about someone busting in & doing harm.

These days I'm more afraid of people with too many guns and not enough common sense. If I'm in public and see someone carrying a weapon I leave immediately and don't return.

These days I'm more afraid of people with too many guns and not enough common sense. If I'm in public and see someone carrying a weapon I leave immediately and don't return.

Curious where you live. I've lived in states where you seriously can't carry a gun at all and states where it's totally legal to carry in any way. And I've yet to see anyone actually carrying a gun that's visible to the public.

eta: not trying to get personal. Just like the state or region. I've lived in the NE, the Deep South, LA and the SW.

Curious where you live. I've lived in states where you seriously can't carry a gun at all and states where it's totally legal to carry in any way. And I've yet to see anyone actually carrying a gun that's visible to the public.

eta: not trying to get personal. Just like the state or region. I've lived in the NE, the Deep South, LA and the SW.

Ohio. My favorite grocery store recently relocated next door to an indoor shooting range. I refuse to shop there.

I actually live in NY and a few weeks ago some loon was wandering around in my condo complex with a shotgun. cops came and didn't find him, but said it wasn't illegal if unloaded. idk

i was wondering...who actually answers a door with a loaded weapon? and if you are in fear of an intruder (as this guy claims he was) wouldn't the most logical thing would be NOT to answer the door and call the cops?

is very likely that she might have suffer concussion and was disorientated. i don't understand how he can justify to himself the shooting a defenseless teen because he "thought" he was being broken in.

Ohio. My favorite grocery store recently relocated next door to an indoor shooting range. I refuse to shop there.

Thanks for answering. I don't think I've ever shopped next to a shooting range, but I doubt it would freak me out since they're their for that specific purpose...not to randomly shoot the shoppers next door, I imagine. To me, it seems far more likely that shooters at the market would be criminals rather than patrons of the range. I would also think that that market is probably the safest one in town! jmo

I actually live in NY and a few weeks ago some loon was wandering around in my condo complex with a shotgun. cops came and didn't find him, but said it wasn't illegal if unloaded. idk

Do they know whether he had a license or was a criminal?

i was wondering...who actually answers a door with a loaded weapon? and if you are in fear of an intruder (as this guy claims he was) wouldn't the most logical thing would be NOT to answer the door and call the cops?

is very likely that she might have suffer concussion and was disorientated. i don't understand how he can justify to himself the shooting a defenseless teen because he "thought" he was being broken in.

who said he answered the door? As I've read it, he responded to someone trying his doors in the middle of the night. He lives in a Detroit suburb. He'd be a fool NOT to have a weapon to go downstairs if someone is trying his doors at 3 a.m. jmo

Thanks for answering. I don't think I've ever shopped next to a shooting range, but I doubt it would freak me out since they're their for that specific purpose...not to randomly shoot the shoppers next door, I imagine. To me, it seems far more likely that shooters at the market would be criminals rather than patrons of the range. I would also think that that market is probably the safest one in town! jmo

No way. Shooting ranges attract people with unhealthy obsessions with weapons, including the mentally ill.

Crime is very low in our area so there are no criminals in the grocery store. We have good sensible LE.

It just gave me creeps walking up to the store listening to sounds of gunfire coming throgh the wall next door. No way I will shop there again.

who said he answered the door? As I've read it, he responded to someone trying his doors in the middle of the night. He lives in a Detroit suburb. He'd be a fool NOT to have a weapon to go downstairs if someone is trying his doors at 3 a.m. jmo

Living in a Detroit suburb is not the same as actually living in Detroit. Most suburbs are much safer than the inner city. It's not even comparable.

People need to learn to dial 911 before grabbing their weapon and confronting whoever might be at their front door.

I only saw someone carrying a gun in public once. It was at this grocery store in NJ, and we have strict gun laws so I'm not even sure it was legal to do so. Anyway, I just about passed out when I saw it. I am not used to it at all, and if I saw someone with a gun in public, I would get very nervous.

A sad loss. Tragically similar to the recent case in North Carolina.

People are more afraid of strangers at their door in the night. Much more often, we hear about someone busting in & doing harm.

The woman here called 911, like she should have if she was afraid. She did not use a gun whatsoever.

One of the responding cops was some sort of crazy man, imho, and he was arrested by his own department for the shooting as fast as you could imagine.

Also, Charlotte's DA was partners 14 years ago with the cop's new lawyers, so he requested that our State Attorney General prosecute the case so there would be no possible conflict of interest. The AG accepted the case.

In poor Renisha's case, the public doesn't even know the name of the shooter, and he has not yet even been arrested!

There is one similarity, though. Both homeowners were apparently afraid of people who were in reality car-crash victims late at night :( The NC homeowner did fine to call 911, though, and the death was in no way her fault.

soooo, is it shoot first ask questions later?

he was a fool for going downstairs with a loaded weapon. i have no idea how dangerous detroit is as i am safely ensconced in oz. what is the point of having a police force is people can shoot when they "perceive" a threat?

the logical process, for me would be call the cops. i have been in a similar position with someone bashing on my windows and screaming blue murder and that is what happened: i called the cops. was i scared shitless, yes. who was it? a drunken kid who thought he was locked out of his house...we both lived to tell the tale

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobcatbob
Back