GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The autopsy report also states all her clothes were wet. This is a bizarre case...

The autopsy report also states all her clothes were wet. This is a bizarre case...

In the news link that Fran :gthanks: posted there is a map. She wasn't far from the Rouge River( 2-3 blocks looks like ) it runs a very long way. Possible she wandered down near the Rouge River during the missing 3 hrs.

I've tried to find the weather for that night, if it was raining. Haven't been able to find it.

I also noticed nothing noted about injuries from impact of a car accident in the autopsy.

Now I've read today from WXYZ she walked 6 blocks to his house. And I just read her parents claimed it was 2 miles. How would they know? I'm going with the map. appox 6 blocks. for now.

In the news link that Fran :gthanks: posted there is a map. She wasn't far from the Rouge River( 2-3 blocks looks like ) it runs a very long way. Possible she wandered down near the Rouge River during the missing 3 hrs.

I've tried to find the weather for that night, if it was raining. Haven't been able to find it.

I also noticed nothing noted about injuries from impact of a car accident in the autopsy.

Now I've read today from WXYZ she walked 6 blocks to his house. And I just read her parents claimed it was 2 miles. How would they know? I'm going with the map. appox 6 blocks. for now.

Hard to completely tell from this but I don't see a body of water between the accident site and where she was shot. Perhaps lawn sprinklers could have gotten her wet?

pic.twitter.com/icbmZNhurW

Of course that's what he thought. It was 3 a.m. I doubt he just happened to be up at 3 a.m. and shot her for fun.
jmo

Then he is an <mod snip>. Just don't open the door if you are so afraid. I call BS.

Do people in affluent neighborhoods of Detroit run their automatic sprinklers this time of year or is it too late/cold in the season to really worry about at this point?

I was thinking she may have tripped of fallen into water on her travels or something.

I don't believe that anyone in fear for their life would open the door, so that piece of info will be key in how I see this case. Did this man open the door without calling police? Why?

Some people do open the door with a loaded gun and expect that they'll just be able to use it if needed, but if I were on a jury I would remember that they didn't have to open it. I consider whether attempts were made to de-escalate the situation or wait for the proper authorities.

I don't have any problem at all with guns to protect someone inside their own home, btw. I do hold gun owners (including myself) to a high standard of responsibility. It is a HUGE responsibility to be a gun owner, imho.

I don't think someone trying the door handle would be enough to shoot, either. Except in a very few circumstances, like someone screaming that they are going to kill you, I don't think you should ever shoot someone you can't see.

I had a group of drunk kids try my door suddenly and come on in one night myself! It really scared me at first, and I was actually angry with them for that. I'm incredibly glad that I wouldn't have shot them, though. They were just stupid college kids who had the wrong apartment.

My understanding of this case is that she was shot at pretty close range with a shotgun to the head (face).

Injury sustained in a car accident that would involve possible concussion would be a head wound. I would assume a shotgun blast injury would pretty much erase all visible proof of a prior head injury

ETA I should clarify. I do not suggest with my comment about pretty close range that the shotgun was placed at or near her head as the autopsy is clear that was not the case. I simply suggest pretty close range in that she was reportedly on his porch and I assume that, since some articles allege the homeowner says she was trying doors to get in, she was somewhat close to the door.

I don't believe that anyone in fear for their life would open the door, so that piece of info will be key in how I see this case. Did this man open the door without calling police? Why?

Some people do open the door with a loaded gun and expect that they'll just be able to use it if needed, but if I were on a jury I would remember that they didn't have to open it. I consider whether attempts were made to de-escalate the situation or wait for the proper authorities.

I don't have any problem at all with guns to protect someone inside their own home, btw. I do hold gun owners (including myself) to a high standard of responsibility. It is a HUGE responsibility to be a gun owner, imho.

I don't think someone trying the door handle would be enough to shoot, either. Except in a very few circumstances, like someone screaming that they are going to kill you, I don't think you should ever shoot someone you can't see.

I had a group of drunk kids try my door suddenly and come on in one night myself! It really scared me at first, and I was actually angry with them for that. I'm incredibly glad that I wouldn't have shot them, though. They were just stupid college kids who had the wrong apartment.

<modsnip> Nice to know folks like you exist! Good post! :seeya:

I know when my BIL was involved in an accident where they hit a tree at the spot where he was sitting in the back seat a car. He had a concussion and was in shock but his friends did not know it. He walked up to the nearest house and told the people he lived there and tried to get into their home. LE had just arrived so they thought he was on drugs and arrested him. He was not on drugs but had a concussion which they later discovered when my husband who was on a police force from the nearby city looked in my BIL eyes and told the Chief his brother was in shock. They rushed him to the hospital and sure enough he was totally out of it. He kept telling everyone he just wanted to go home. When you are in shock you don't always know what you are doing.

It's not hard for me to believe this poor young woman had a head injury and was in shock because this is the way my BIL acted. It's also not hard for me to believe she may have tried to get into this man's home because in her mind this was her home. I do not agree with the man opening the door. His first thought should have been to call 911 instead of trying to handle it himself.

Stand your ground should never be your first option when there are clearly other options open. First call 911 and then don't answer the door. We live in a violent society today and I'm sure the last thing this man thought was that this young woman was injured. jmo

I know when my BIL was involved in an accident where they hit a tree at the spot where he was sitting in the back seat a car. He had a concussion and was in shock but his friends did not know it. He walked up to the nearest house and told the people he lived there and tried to get into their home. LE had just arrived so they thought he was on drugs and arrested him. He was not on drugs but had a concussion which they later discovered when my husband who was on a police force from the nearby city looked in my BIL eyes and told the Chief his brother was in shock. They rushed him to the hospital and sure enough he was totally out of it. He kept telling everyone he just wanted to go home. When you are in shock you don't always know what you are doing.

It's not hard for me to believe this poor young woman had a head injury and was in shock because this is the way my BIL acted. It's also not hard for me to believe she may have tried to get into this man's home because in her mind this was her home. I do not agree with the man opening the door. His first thought should have been to call 911 instead of trying to handle it himself.

Stand your ground should never be your first option when there are clearly other options open. First call 911 and then don't answer the door. We live in a violent society today and I'm sure the last thing this man thought was that this young woman was injured. jmo

MOO, But stand your ground just allows skittish gun holders to shoot first and cry "defense" later. And that worries me. <modsnip>

MOO, But stand your ground just allows skittish gun holders to shoot first and cry "defense" later. And that worries me. That law already excused the death of one child. How many more? :(

I don't like the Stand your ground law although when I was 23 I had a man banging on my door late at night while my husband was actually training with the Virginia Beach police at the time. The first thing I did was call LE. The second thing I did was grab the rife that was hanging on the wall. Turns out the man was trying to get away from a group of rednecks that chased him down in their pickup through the woods. I had a German Shepard and after the police arrived (about 6 patrol cars) the dog ran over to the man sniffed him and then proceeded to chase all the police back into their patrol cars. The only officer he did not go after was the one questioning the man. When my husband got home he looked at the gun and said where are the bullets? I reached in my pocket and pulled them out. I did not know how to load the gun. He said what were you going to do throw them at the guy?

According to Stand Your Ground I could have shot this man when all he was trying to do was get help.

We are a nation living in constant fear of something happening and some people just overreact. Not defending this man but we need more information on what really happened and why he felt the need to open that door. I only opened my door when the LE operator told me it was okay to open the door so I could answer some questions. jmo

I saw the vehicles on a news clip, her car and the one that was hit. No doubt she was traumatized and shaken up. Anyone would have been. The damage according to what the vehicles looked like - she definitely could have sustained a concussion as well.

I saw the vehicles on a news clip, her car and the one that was hit. No doubt she was traumatized and shaken up. Anyone would have been. The damage according to what the vehicles looked like - she definitely could have sustained a concussion as well.

The witness who first said she she would call 911 for Renisha said she seemed out of it, IIRC. Makes sense that she would be disoriented.

I don't like the Stand your ground law although when I was 23 I had a man banging on my door late at night while my husband was actually training with the Virginia Beach police at the time. The first thing I did was call LE. The second thing I did was grab the rife that was hanging on the wall. Turns out the man was trying to get away from a group of rednecks that chased him down in their pickup through the woods. I had a German Shepard and after the police arrived (about 6 patrol cars) the dog ran over to the man sniffed him and then proceeded to chase all the police back into their patrol cars. The only officer he did not go after was the one questioning the man. When my husband got home he looked at the gun and said where are the bullets? I reached in my pocket and pulled them out. I did not know how to load the gun. He said what were you going to do throw them at the guy?

According to Stand Your Ground I could have shot this man when all he was trying to do was get help.

We are a nation living in constant fear of something happening and some people just overreact. Not defending this man but we need more information on what really happened and why he felt the need to open that door. I only opened my door when the LE operator told me it was okay to open the door so I could answer some questions. jmo

This is a great balanced well reasoned post lambchop. Thank you. I agree, while at first blush this case has raised a lot of very valid questions as to what exactly took place that night, IMO the SYG laws leave too much up to interpretation after the fact as to what someone felt or thought or assumed, we do not know the facts of this case. Until we do, much of what is happening here is happening elsewhere. Speculation based on a very few known incontrovertible facts.

This is a great balanced well reasoned post lambchop. Thank you. I agree, while at first blush this case has raised a lot of very valid questions as to what exactly took place that night, IMO the SYG laws leave too much up to interpretation after the fact as to what someone felt or thought or assumed, we do not know the facts of this case. Until we do, much of what is happening here is happening elsewhere. Speculation based on a very few known incontrovertible facts.

I think we owe it to the man to find out exactly why he felt she was a threat. I'm thinking RM thought she was home and tried to get in through the door. The homeowner may have felt she was high on drugs. We only have part of the picture. We definitely need more information and maybe let this play out a little to see what happens. jmo

I was this young woman's age when I made the (stupid) decision to race a friend into town in rural Kansas one night-he one one road and me about a mile away. I rolled my relative's car end over end, wrapped it in 30 feet of barbed wire. I wasn't drunk or high, but I knew that there was one unopened can of beer somewhere I the car and I didn't want to get in trouble for it. Not thinking straight. I ran and ran until I came upon a house that "looked friendly" to me. It was after midnight, and I did not politely knock. I pounded and screamed as loud as I could until someone opened the door. I lied and told him I ran out of gas. This old man drove me back to my wrecked car (over three miles I had run) and immediately gasped and asked me over and over if I was sure there was no one with me: the steering wheel of the car was protruding through the roof, was how bad the wreck was.
I didn't have a scratch on me. People told me they were surprised I even survived.
The man offered to give me a ride home, and I jumped out of his truck as he was pulling away from a stop sign. I'm positive I had a head injury. I don't know where I'm going with this-just my two cents, I guess.

I was this young woman's age when I made the (stupid) decision to race a friend into town in rural Kansas one night-he one one road and me about a mile away. I rolled my relative's car end over end, wrapped it in 30 feet of barbed wire. I wasn't drunk or high, but I knew that there was one unopened can of beer somewhere I the car and I didn't want to get in trouble for it. Not thinking straight. I ran and ran until I came upon a house that "looked friendly" to me. It was after midnight, and I did not politely knock. I pounded and screamed as loud as I could until someone opened the door. I lied and told him I ran out of gas. This old man drove me back to my wrecked car (over three miles I had run) and immediately gasped and asked me over and over if I was sure there was no one with me: the steering wheel of the car was protruding through the roof, was how bad the wreck was.
I didn't have a scratch on me. People told me they were surprised I even survived.
The man offered to give me a ride home, and I jumped out of his truck as he was pulling away from a stop sign. I'm positive I had a head injury. I don't know where I'm going with this-just my two cents, I guess.

This is what people do when they are in shock and from head injuries. They just do not act normal but yet to someone who is listening to them they may sound very normal until you notice they are acting strangely. jmo

I have some strong opinions that are baggage I carry from other cases. I will be trying very hard to keep that baggage separate from this case and look at just the facts. That is very hard for me right now with so few of them to go on. But I do not like to be extreme in my views, but rather, view each case as its own entity.

November 11, 2013 at 1:00 am

Autopsy leads to more questions in Dearborn Heights shooting

Oralandar Brand-Williams /The Detroit News

Detroit&#8212; The 19-year-old Detroit woman who was shot and killed Nov. 2 by a Dearborn Heights homeowner was shot in the face, according to an autopsy report issued Monday in a case that continues to have more questions than answers.

The report from the Wayne County Medical Examiner&#8217;s Office does not specify the distance from which the fatal shot was fired, but it provided additional details about Renisha McBride&#8217;s death.

&#8220;There was an entrance shotgun wound to the face, with no evidence of close range discharge of a firearm noted on the skin surrounding this wound,&#8221; reads the report by Assistant Medical Examiner Kilak Kesha, who ruled McBride&#8217;s death a homicide...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131111/METRO01/311110095#ixzz2kRMmQ3Qc

Autopsy: Detroit woman, 19, whose slaying drew civil rights complaints died of shot to face

Renisha McBride died Nov. 2 after reportedly stopping for help in Dearborn Heights

Published On: Nov 12 2013 09:11:39 AM EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...face/-/1719418/22925972/-/r30k4b/-/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobcatbob
Back