GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I must say that I'm very surprised. I was thinking a hung jury or manslaughter at most. Wow.

I must say that I'm very surprised. I was thinking a hung jury or manslaughter at most. Wow.

He never stood a chance of having a fair trial in Detroit. I have never seen a Judge so biased against the defense. She hamstrung the defense when it came to being able to defend their client. To this day the state never entered any evidence supporting McBride was at Mr. Wafer's home seeking help. In fact all the evidence entered showed she refused help and assistance from everyone yet this Judge allowed the state to throw speculation around like it was water. She didn't even enter evidence to support a good faith basis or foundation that RM was seeking help.

Even the locals were predicting from the minute it happened they were going to throw the book at him before they even knew any of the evidence and way before the trial even started saying it was because he was white and the victim was AA. Isn't Detroit predominately AA?

I hope he has a great appellate lawyer because I see several appellate issues that can be raised especially when it comes to the Judge's rulings which is the basis for cases to be overturned most of the time

If this had happened in another state Mr. Wafer would be going home a free man tonight. My heart breaks for him. Why oh why did RM have to pound on his doors making him think she was breaking in? GAH! If she had just stayed put like she legally should have done when she had her wreck Mr. Wafer's life would have gone on as peaceful as it always has been.

Local news just interupted General Hospital. I'm discusted, beyond discusted.:tantrum:

I don't blame you for being disgusted.

I didn't even turn my tv on. The last thing I want to see and hear is them finding Mr. Wafer guilty.

IMO

Thanks for the updates. I didn't have TV, computer, or radio on and wasn't aware that the verdict was already in. WDIV noon report indicated that jury was still deliberating and taking lunch break.

Jury: Porch shooter guilty of second-degree murder, manslaughter

Theodore Wafer found guilty second-degree murder in Renisha McBride's death

Published On: Aug 07 2014 07:39:26 AM EDT Updated 17 m

DETROIT -
A jury has found a Dearborn Heights man guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges for the deadly shooting of an unarmed woman on his porch.

The jury met for about three hours Wednesday after hearing closing remarks from prosecutors and a lawyer for Theodore Wafer. Jurors returned Thursday to Wayne County court and announced their verdict about 2:45 p.m.

The 55-year-old Wafer was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and felony firearm. He was found guilty on all charges...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hooting-that-left-unarmed-woman-dead/27348264

He never stood a chance of having a fair trial in Detroit. I have never seen a Judge so biased against the defense. She hamstrung the defense when it came to being able to defend their client. To this day the state never entered any evidence supporting McBride was at Mr. Wafer's home seeking help. In fact all the evidence entered showed she refused help and assistance from everyone yet this Judge allowed the state to throw speculation around like it was water. She didn't even enter evidence to support a good faith basis or foundation that RM was seeking help.

Even the locals were predicting from the minute it happened they were going to throw the book at him before they even knew any of the evidence and way before the trial even started saying it was because he was white and the victim was AA. Isn't Detroit predominately AA?

I hope he has a great appellate lawyer because I see several appellate issues that can be raised especially when it comes to the Judge's rulings which is the basis for cases to be overturned most of the time

If this had happened in another state Mr. Wafer would be going home a free man tonight. My heart breaks for him. Why oh why did RM have to pound on his doors making him think she was breaking in? GAH! If she had just stayed put like she legally should have done when she had her wreck Mr. Wafer's life would have gone on as peaceful as it always has been.

Respectfully, I am a criminal defense attorney. From what I've seen, I don't think the judge was biased, nor was the defense hamstrung. I think the defense did a good job with what they had. And based on Wafer's own statements and actions, I think he was sunk. As others have pointed out, he really should have remained silent and consulted with a lawyer, rather than speaking with LE.

Ultimately, the jury felt he didn't act reasonably and in self-defense. That comes down to him, and what he said to LE, and how he testified on the stand - not the State's opening or closing, or the judge's rulings on evidence.

in Florida they would throw him a parade and would render a not guilty verdict. This is Detroit and Wayne County. Most of the jurors were white by the way. I don't get blaming the victim here. She was wasted and high so I guess that means she deserved the death penalty? The fact is that Mr. Wafer gave two conflicting statements: one at the time of his interrogation and then he took the stand and told another tale. Juries don't like that. There is no way what Mr. Wafer did was reasonable. He did not know Renisha was bombed. she knocked on his door and instead of doing the logical thing - that is to call the cops he actually opens his door - his only protection from anything bad on the other side of that door: he levels shotgun and blew her face off. I am surprised at 2nd degree. I was thinking manslaughter.

I don't believe it was about race. It was the fact he lied. Once he lied, his word was no longer to be trusted. And, if it matters, AA jurors were in the minority. It doesn't really matter the make-up of Detroit. And I would hope no Americans would find a person guilty based upon his color.

Respectfully, I am a criminal defense attorney. From what I've seen, I don't think the judge was biased, nor was the defense hamstrung. I think the defense did a good job with what they had. And based on Wafer's own statements and actions, I think he was sunk. As others have pointed out, he really should have remained silent and consulted with a lawyer, rather than speaking with LE.

Ultimately, the jury felt he didn't act reasonably and in self-defense. That comes down to him, and what he said to LE, and how he testified on the stand - not the State's opening or closing, or the judge's rulings on evidence.

Thank you for your opinion on this. I think the jury instruction that if they found his exculpatory statements to be false, they could consider that evidence of his guilt critical in this verdict.

In other words, I think they believed he lied and delivered a guilty verdict accordingly.

I am very gratified they found him guilty on all three charges.

Justice for Renisha McBride.

I don't believe it was about race. It was the fact he lied. Once he lied, his word was no longer to be trusted. And, if it matters, AA jurors were in the minority. It doesn't really matter the make-up of Detroit. And I would hope no Americans would find a person guilty based upon his color.
ITA. Wafer lied and it showed a consciousness of guilt. I think the jury did take this seriously and carefully tried to apply the laws of the state to the circumstances of the case. It wasn't about race at all.

hi everyone, LTNS

Wafer did indeed receive a fair trial. This judge wasn't biased. She mediated and did a fine job of it.

had he stood in his home with the steel door locked/closed and continued to look for his phone, which he found really fast after he blew Renisha's face off and called police, he'd not be in this position.

Michigan statute is clear, one has no duty to retreat inside his home. Problem for him, Renisha was never inside his home. No proof of a breaking and entry, none at all.

Had he called police Renisha would be alive and probably under arrest herself. Since he acted impulsively he made himself the perp.

He told LE the weapon accidently discharged, not until he retained an attorney did this morph into SD.

He told police he was angry, told the jurors he didn't want to 'cower' in his own home. He told them he was piss and vinegar (angry) which doesn't equate to being scared ..had he kept this damn door shut, he'd be in the clear.

When the evidence is strong against the perp, trash the victim, trash the investigation. LE went on the accidental discharge, until he retained that attorney. So of course, they investigated way after the fact but that is due to Wafers lies and deceit. He should have been a real man, admitted he made an egregious error and taken a plea deal.

Since he choose to impulsively react when not in danger, imminent danger, this was a just verdict..

We need to stop coddling these killers and hold them responsible for their actions.

Justice for Renisha came today...

Livie, you are so right. Banging on a door is not an imminent threat of death. I think the jury went by the honest and reasonable standard and imo Wafer failed in both.

hi everyone, LTNS

Wafer did indeed receive a fair trial. This judge wasn't biased. She mediated and did a fine job of it.

had he stood in his home with the steel door locked/closed and continued to look for his phone, which he found really fast after he blew Renisha's face off and called police, he'd not be in this position.

Michigan statute is clear, one has no duty to retreat inside his home. Problem for him, Renisha was never inside his home. No proof of a breaking and entry, none at all.

Had he called police Renisha would be alive and probably under arrest herself. Since he acted impulsively he made himself the perp.

He told LE the weapon accidently discharged, not until he retained an attorney did this morph into SD.

He told police he was angry, told the jurors he didn't want to 'cower' in his own home. He told them he was piss and vinegar (angry) which doesn't equate to being scared ..had he kept this damn door shut, he'd be in the clear.

When the evidence is strong against the perp, trash the victim, trash the investigation. LE went on the accidental discharge, until he retained that attorney. So of course, they investigated way after the fact but that is due to Wafers lies and deceit. He should have been a real man, admitted he made an egregious error and taken a plea deal.

Since he choose to impulsively react when not in danger, imminent danger, this was a just verdict..

We need to stop coddling these killers and hold them responsible for their actions.

Justice for Renisha came today...

I love your post and yes, he should have manned up and taken a damn plea. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions. His attorney led him astray thinking if he got on the stand he could elicit sympathy. problem was he gave two entirely different accounts of what happened. In the end the jurors came to the only correct conclusion: he did not act reasonably under the circumstances.

As others have pointed out, he really should have remained silent and consulted with a lawyer, rather than speaking with LE.

Yup. The fact is only two people know exactly what happened that night and one of them is dead. That left only Wafer to tell the story and there wasn't much physical evidence. If he had kept his mouth SHUT until he talked to an attorney things would have probably worked out differently for him.

Gun owners should always tell their story to an attorney BEFORE talking to the police even if they are SURE the law is on their side.

I am conmfortable with the Jury's decision and glad this case has now been adjudicated.

The defense tried very hard to show Renisha had attempted to break into Wafer's house, but the evidence simply wasn't there. And that was all they had -- no breaking in, no castle doctrine, no self defense. It was fairly clear cut when you looked at the actual evidence.

While it's true that (within the city limits of) Detroit is primarily African American, there are many Wayne County communities from which the jury pool was derived that have mostly white populations - Downriver area, the Grosse Pointes, Livonia, Northville, among others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet
Back