MI-Rochester Hills-Multiple people injured in shooting at Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad. splash pad-June 15,2024

According to this one source

Shooter offed himself during the stand off

The suspected shooter was cornered by police at a mobile home park in Shelby Township for hours after the shooting. Police said he killed himself during the standoff. He has not been identified, but Bouchard said the suspect was known to police.

This looks like such a lovely place for kids and families in the community, especially during the hot days of summer.

That's exactly what I am thinking - what a fun, outdoor, wholesome, affordable, neighborhood activity for families. That's the sort of thing we WANT for our communities.

But someone with a gun ruins it.

jmo

Last edited:
This looks like such a lovely place for kids and families in the community, especially during the hot days of summer.

Absolutely.

I find it saddening and disturbing that these days a person needs to be so constantly/consistently vigilant even just simply trying to enjoy one’s summer with his/her children … Even when taking children to the movies (recent stabbing at screening of “If” in Mass) or just to cool off at a splash pad (mass shooting today), I, at least, am always on guard.

Even still, as we who follow true crime know (all too well), in “random shooting” situations like this, all too often, victims, unfortunately, just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. :”(

I so wish children and their parents could enjoy these simple summer pleasures without fear. It has been heartbreaking to see this. Could have just as easily been my boys playing on the/at the splash pad. Sickens me … truly.

All MOO.

For context, the Brooklands Park area was a pretty dilipidated, unwelcoming-seeming area of Rochester Hills for many years -- probably one of the few seedy parts of what is otherwise a pretty nice and beautiful city. The impression I get from having lived here for some time is that it was economically thriving at some point in history, but then fell on hard times, and much of what remained was unmaintained developments from that era; this can still be seen in neighboring parts of Shelby Township east of Dequindre Road.

The splash pads where the shooting occurred were part of an effort by the city within the past five years to redevelop and gentrify the area and make it more family-friendly, and it worked quite well; whereas people would have felt genuinely unsafe walking on that part of Auburn Road in the past, especially at night, it had become quite common after the renovation and reconstruction to see families from the area spending time there as a casual summer outing, and it no longer seemed seedy by any means.

This is part of why the shooting came as a shock: it contrasted with the overall safe image that this area had gained after the gentrification.

It's also worth noting that Brooklands Park is a stone's throw away from the Oakland-Macomb county line (in fact, the shooter was found just inside Macomb County, not Oakland where the attack occurred); without going into too much detail, northern Macomb County is known for a certain type of demographic that is IMO relevant to this discussion, and there is definitely spillover into the immediately neighboring areas of Rochester Hills.

All JMO/MOO.

Last edited:

The gunman was “apparently in no rush. Just calmly walked back to his car,” the sheriff said.

Bouchard said the first deputies who arrived immediately began providing first aid including tourniquets. Officers also were able to quickly come up with a likely address, and a car matching the suspect’s vehicle was at the residence.

Deputies surrounded the home and tried to make contact with the suspect inside to no avail, Bouchard said. After deploying a drone, they eventually entered the home and found the suspect dead inside.

Another weapon was found in the home, and the quick containment of the suspect may have prevented a “second chapter” to the shooting, the sheriff said.

According to this one source

Shooter offed himself during the stand off
Suspect is a 42yo man. Victims seem to be ranging from 4yo to 78yo. Motive unknown at this point and it appears the shooter didn't have any connections to the victims. Suspect has no known prior criminal history.

The police tracked the shooter to a home. They flew a drone into the home and "found what appeared to be an 'AR-platform' firearm on the kitchen table, Bouchard said Saturday night."

So, he planned to shoot from his house too? At the cops? At neighbors?

Suspect is a 42yo man. Victims seem to be ranging from 4yo to 78yo. Motive unknown at this point and it appears the shooter didn't have any connections to the victims. Suspect has no known prior criminal history.

The police tracked the shooter to a home. They flew a drone into the home and "found what appeared to be an 'AR-platform' firearm on the kitchen table, Bouchard said Saturday night."

Perhaps this explains the large number of armored vehicles that showed up to the site? I counted at least 5-6.

The suspect was identified as a 42-year-old white male who lived with his mother. Bouchard said the man had no criminal history but was believed to have had mental health challenges.
Since they're saying mom is not home, perhaps she is physically okay at another location.I wonder if she knew he had weapons?
It was such a a quick statement issued about possible mental health. I'm just going to say this, their are evil people in the world that hurt and kill others. I believe most people automatically think there is absolutely something amiss with these people. .Evil doesn't equate to mental health issues. Some folks are just rotten.
I'm praying for these families full healing.

Yeah, it sounds like everyone owns an AR style/platform rifle these days. Very lethal and dangerous. Similar to the Las Vegas shooter from a few years ago. The ammo goes through walls and steel like paper.

Since they're saying mom is not home, perhaps she is physically okay at another location.I wonder if she knew he had weapons?
It was such a a quick statement issued about possible mental health. I'm just going to say this, their are evil people in the world that hurt and kill others. I believe most people automatically think there is absolutely something amiss with these people. .Evil doesn't equate to mental health issues. Some folks are just rotten.
I'm praying for these families full healing.

Agree. Another version is evil + injustice collectors. People unhappy with their own lives who want to take it out on innocent strangers.

ETA: Sick jerks who target children are especially evil.

Last edited:
I wondered if the shooter was someone who was an injustice collector, specifically related to the location (water park used the land their family once owned or wanted, mad about happy families or kids running around/yelling, etc.). Not that there is ever justification for what he did.

MOO.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

They did a great job. Sadly, cities and towns these days form LE task force groups that they train to handle these events. We had an AR 15 incident in our neighborhood last year and the SWAT team was made up of guys from at least 4 different cities. They pool their resources and equipment to respond to these active shooter incidents. They're very brave people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lived in Rochester Hills for more than 31 years and never knew about the splashpad. That area is the extreme northeast section of RH. I live in the far southwest part of the city. DH and I watched golf much of the afternoon, had dinner, and then watched the hockey game. We didn't learn about the incident until 10:00 when we saw it on WXYZ news. I can't wrap my head around something like this happening in Rochester Hills as it is a wonderful place to live.

Thanks for all the posts/photos on this terrible tragedy. I'm guessing we're nearly neighbors, AlatzuMeizzaja.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50
Back