MI-Rochester Hills-Multiple people injured in shooting at Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad. splash pad-June 15,2024

I want to know if the owner of the home where he lived, if it's not him, or his relatives, knew about both his ownership of weapons and his mental health issues.

Was he living off disability or other benefits? Was he receiving, or supposed to receive, therapy as part of his benefits? Did he take medication? Was he taking or withdrawing from medication or other drugs when he committed the shootings?

I'm glad his mother was gone when police found him at home, or she might have been another victim. Which she is, albeit still alive.
I feel for the mom. My hunch is she was a stable force in his life and perhaps prevented or lessened outbursts, etc. That is a huge burden to carry, to feel responsible for another person's potential violence.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this horror happened when she wasn't there. I hope she has support around her.

jmo

This Detroit News article is for subscribers only and likely has a paywall. As the title suggests, the shooter was paranoid and thought that the government was tracking him. He told his mother to turn off her cell phone so he couldn't be located. He was known to pace the house carrying weapons. Suspect definitely had serious mental health issues.

Last edited:
This Detroit News article is for subscribers only and likely has a paywall. As the title suggests, the shooter was paranoid and thought that the government was tracking him. He told his mother to turn off her cell phone so he couldn't be located. He was known to pace the house carrying weapons. Suspect definitely had serious mental health issues.

A man with serious mental health issues who had a stash of weapons.

I want to know if the owner of the home where he lived, if it's not him, or his relatives, knew about both his ownership of weapons and his mental health issues.

Was he living off disability or other benefits? Was he receiving, or supposed to receive, therapy as part of his benefits? Did he take medication? Was he taking or withdrawing from medication or other drugs when he committed the shootings?
I want that info as well---so if mom knew he had mental health issues and had weapons in the
Home---"what responsibility did she have to notify authorities? He is said to have been paranoid

I want that info as well---so if mom knew he had mental health issues and had weapons in the
Home---"what responsibility did she have to notify authorities? He is said to have been paranoid
This Detroit News article is for subscribers only and probably has a paywall. Suspect's mother could be charged in the shooting. She may have been aware that her son posed a danger to others and failed to report him to authorities. Mother has hired an attorney and is no longer cooperating with the ongoing investigation.

This Detroit News article is for subscribers only and probably has a paywall. Suspect's mother could be charged in the shooting. She may have been aware that her son posed a danger to others and failed to report him to authorities. Mother has hired an attorney and is no longer cooperating with the ongoing investigation.

I just saw that headline and was coming here to post the headline: Well Crumbly has opened the floodgates for parents to be charged.

I just saw that headline and was coming here to post the headline: Well Crumbely has opened the floodgates for parents to be charged.
Ethan Crumbley was a minor at the time of the Oxford shooting. In the case of the splashpad rampage, the deceased suspect was 42. I'm not sure how his mother can be held accountable for his actions. JMO

Ethan Crumbley was a minor at the time of the Oxford shooting. In the case of the splashpad rampage, the deceased suspect was 42. I'm not sure how his mother can be held accountable for his actions. JMO
You make a good point but there might be some exceptions -

Shooter's Mother. Criminal Liability?
She could if she had any kind of guardianship over him, or if he was declared incompetent.
@airportwoman
Maybe you've found info in MI statutes supporting conclusion that shooter's mother may be criminally liable. (With or without appointment as guardian for him?) IDK.

From a quick search of MI. statute, I'm not seeing a section indicating CRIM. liability, at least not in the couple sections linked below.

But under MI. "Extreme Risk Protection Order Act" aka "Red Flag Law" which took effect in Feb. 2024, it MAY have been poss for a fam. member (like his Mother) to petition for a judge "to issue an extreme risk protection order (ERPO) to confiscate firearms from individuals who pose a threat to themselves or others." < per website below.
Text of law also linked below.

Possible CIVIL liability is a different issue.

On the face, preventing these tragic situations seem so straightforward but IRL are so difficult to avert.
- Explanation on Gifford's.org re MI. 2023 "Child Access Prevention" statute, criminal offense re individual (not just parent) leaving a firearm unattended where a MINOR is present or likely to be present, but fails to safely store it.

- Text of 2023 MI. statute.
28.429 "Firearm; safe storage requirements; penalties if minor obtains firearm; exceptions; ... Sec. 9."
^ MCL - Section 28.429 - Michigan Legislature

- Another MI. law imposing crim liability on parent re MINOR w firearm in "weapon free school zone."
750.235a "Parent of minor guilty of misdemeanor; conditions; penalty; defense; definitions."

- MI. "Extreme Risk Protection Order Act" (Red Flag law)
- Text of law available at page 110:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo