MI-Rochester Hills-Multiple people injured in shooting at Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad. splash pad-June 15,2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are a lot of people out there who are paranoid. It doesn't mean they're killers nor does it mean their loved ones should be forced to turn them in. Dangerous territory here. MOO
Do you feel the same way about family members contacting suicide prevention resources if they feel that a loved one is considering taking his/her life?

Do you feel the same way about family members contacting suicide prevention resources if they feel that a loved one is considering taking his/her life?

Leading your suicidal relative to suicidal prevention resources isn't nearly the same as having a responsibility to contact authorities to turn in your relative. If they want to do it, thats fine. But requiring them to do it is entirely different and opens up a hornets nest of legal questions. Not every person is trying to "do right" by their relative. JMO

Another victim injured in the June 15 shooting at Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad in Rochester Hills was released from the hospital Monday, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

The 30-year-old Rochester Hills woman "is home resting comfortably" after spending over two weeks in the hospital, according to a sheriff's office press release. She is the eighth of nine people wounded to be released. A 39-year-old Rochester Hills mother, who was seriously injured as she was shot multiple times while trying to protect her children, remains hospitalized, the sheriff's office said.

Her 8-year-old son was released from the hospital Friday...

Rochester Hills — While the Fourth of July brought drizzles and gray skies, it didn't stop at least a couple of families from enjoying the Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad the day after it reopened for the first time since a mass shooting there two and a half weeks ago.

The city said it reopened the facility on the advice of the Oakland County Sheriff's Office and mental health advocates who spoke with victims of the June 15 shooting, which wounded nine people.

"The Splash Pad has always been a place for our community to come together, and as we saw at Festival of the Hills last week, our community is yearning for that connection," the city said in an update on its website. "The Splash Pad will be open from 10 am to 8 pm, seven days a week. There will be an additional public safety presence in the area as well as information available for resources through Oakland Community Health Network."...

There are a lot of people out there who are paranoid. It doesn't mean they're killers nor does it mean their loved ones should be forced to turn them in. Dangerous territory here. MOO

Unfortunately, paranoid ideation can be linked to violent behavior, especially if its linked to substance abuse. It doesn't always happen but it can. Was this guy using drugs or drinking? Who wants to risk it?

A large-scale epidemiological study investigating the association with violence in schizophrenia patients living in the community identified distinct but overlapping risk factors for minor and serious violence including positive psychotic symptoms, co-occurring substance abuse, interpersonal and social factors, childhood conduct problems and victimization.11 More recently, meta-analyses and case register studies concluded that psychiatric disorders are associated with violence, but that the relationship is largely or entirely explained by comorbid substance misuse.12–14

You also don't have to be psychotic to have harmful levels of paranoid ideation. The linked study was done in England, where guns aren't available to the general public.

JMO, buying guns, especially military grade automatic weapons, is not a good idea for people with this disorder, yet it happens a lot.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, paranoid ideation can be linked to violent behavior, especially if its linked to substance abuse. It doesn't always happen but it can. Was this guy using drugs or drinking? Who wants to risk it?

You also don't have to be psychotic to have harmful levels of paranoid ideation. The linked study was done in England, where guns aren't available to the general public.

JMO, buying guns, especially military grade automatic weapons, is not a good idea for people with this disorder, yet it happens a lot.

Most people who are psychotic or experience paranoia which is a symptom of psychosis, are not killers and as far as I know, there is no study linking paranoid PERSONALITY disorder (which is way different from psychosis) to murder.

But regardless, that's a bit of a different issue than what I wanted to address. The main topic I disagree with is families being forced to turn in loved ones. That's not ok for all kinds of reasons, but especially because it opens the door to abuse.

MOO based on my experience

Reactions: nao
Most people who are psychotic or experience paranoia which is a symptom of psychosis, are not killers and as far as I know, there is no study linking paranoid PERSONALITY disorder (which is way different from psychosis) to murder.

But regardless, that's a bit of a different issue than what I wanted to address. The main topic I disagree with is families being forced to turn in loved ones. That's not ok for all kinds of reasons, but especially because it opens the door to abuse.

MOO based on my experience

The article I linked, though, notes that people who experience paranoia and also abuse alcohol and drugs, are more likely to act on their paranoid thoughts. Having a stockpile of dangerous guns, including automatic rifles and large capacity cartridges, can also increase the likelihood they will act out violently.

Other contributing factors can be hostility, agitation and aggression.

There are spree killers who are hostile, aggressive and paranoid and this person was one example.

"There will be an additional public safety presence in the area as well as information available for resources through Oakland Community Health Network."...
rsbm.

I drove past the site earlier today just to check this out; it was deserted, despite it being the 4th of July weekend, and I also didn't see any "additional public safety presence"; there was no sign of law enforcement anywhere in sight.

About a decade ago, I remember there was at least one police car always patrolling that area, but I haven't seen anything of the sort in recent years, and I believe that may have been a factor in allowing the incident to occur.

JMO, MOO.

The article I linked, though, notes that people who experience paranoia and also abuse alcohol and drugs, are more likely to act on their paranoid thoughts. Having a stockpile of dangerous guns, including automatic rifles and large capacity cartridges, can also increase the likelihood they will act out violently.

Other contributing factors can be hostility, agitation and aggression.

There are spree killers who are hostile, aggressive and paranoid and this person was one example.

But again, the point was the onus should not be on family members to turn in their loved ones. JMO

I also think there's too big an emphasis on paranoia and no connection with paranoid personality. Substance abuse, all by itself, is a major risk factor for all violence, due to disinhibition and impulsivity. Add to that anything else -- even type A personality -- and it escalates quickly.

Regardless, family should not be responsible for turning in family members. Parents should be on the hook for not keeps guns away from kids, but in a case like this one, only the perp is responsible for his actions. MOO.

But again, the point was the onus should not be on family members to turn in their loved ones. JMO

I also think there's too big an emphasis on paranoia and no connection with paranoid personality. Substance abuse, all by itself, is a major risk factor for all violence, due to disinhibition and impulsivity. Add to that anything else -- even type A personality -- and it escalates quickly.

Regardless, family should not be responsible for turning in family members. Parents should be on the hook for not keeps guns away from kids, but in a case like this one, only the perp is responsible for his actions. MOO.
Family should be responsible for keeping guns away from people with paranoid personality disorders. At best they shouldn’t be purchasing guns for them. They can’t control an adult’s behavior, but they should seek help in those situations.

rsbm.

I drove past the site earlier today just to check this out; it was deserted, despite it being the 4th of July weekend, and I also didn't see any "additional public safety presence"; there was no sign of law enforcement anywhere in sight.

About a decade ago, I remember there was at least one police car always patrolling that area, but I haven't seen anything of the sort in recent years, and I believe that may have been a factor in allowing the incident to occur.

JMO, MOO.
That makes me sad, but then I remembered I reacted in similar ways. My area has been hit with violent tragedies and I also have avoided the scenes of the crime, even though they are perfectly safe and lovely.

Entire communities are victims of violent crimes and it takes almost a generation for the wound to heal. Feeling sad about that.

jmo

A 39-year-old woman who was shot in a mass shooting at a Rochester Hills splash pad has been released from the hospital, the last of the nine victims to go home, the Oakland County Sheriff's Department announced Friday.

The woman spent three weeks in the hospital after being shot June 15 at the Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad while trying to protect her children from the gunman, 42-year-old Michael Nash, who died by suicide in the Shelby Township mobile home he shared with his mother.

Her 8-year-old son and 4-year-old son were also injured in the shooting and were previously released to continue their recovery at home. A page verified by the sheriff's department was started for the Bebout family, whose first names have not been released...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarlaK
Back