MI MI - Romulus, LIVING BlkFem 40-60, Double Amputee, Names: Cj, Jesse, China Black, May'18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since the woman's picture was made public, they've gotten some tips. Several people recognized her because she's a double amputee and they remembered seeing her around Grand River and Livernois in Detroit.

"We know at one point in her life she was probably homeless and that led to her being a double amputee, it sounds like she may have lost her legs due to frost bite," Krebs said.

Who is Michigan's first living Jane Doe?

Who checked her into the adult foster care facility? I am confused about the backstory. If she was homeless and had her legs amputated because of frostbite like they think may have happened, did the hospital just release a double amputee back into the streets? Or did the hospital arrange for her to be checked into the facility? If so, I would think there would be solid info on the reasoning for amputation.

She is a double amputee and is missing her left pinky finger. She says she was hit by a drunken driver after leaving a McDonald's on Woodward Avenue near Wayne State University. She believes that's when she lost her memory.

"It's frustrating that you wake up in the hospital and you don't know who you is," Black said.

snip

The Michigan State Police said they will consider genealogy DNA if no one recognizes Black or there are no hits in the CODIS database.

Michigan State Police attempt to identify Metro Detroit woman who doesn't remember her identity

Dr. Cherryl Lamont Pearson is from my hometown. I’ve wondered if she could be a match for China. I figured it was too far fetched to submit, but what do y’all think?
  • Missing Since01/05/2002
  • Missing FromBartlett, Tennessee
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceBlack
  • Date of Birth08/21/1964 (55)
  • Age37 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'7, 160 pounds
  • Medical ConditionsPearson suffers from type one diabetes and requires insulin for it. She left her insulin pump and other diabetic supplies behind.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Pearson has a long, dark-colored birthmark on the side of her face. She has a small sixth finger on each hand. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Pearson was last seen at by friends at approximately 1:00 a.m. on January 5, 2002. She had attended a Memphis Grizzlies game at the Pyramid in Memphis, Tennessee and went to her residence afterwards, where she entertained some female friends.

She was supposed to go to her sister's home to babysit her children later on the day of January 5, but never showed up. Pearson's daughter said she had complained of feeling weak and lightheaded at the Grizzlies game.

hone records show Pearson received a five-second phone call at her residence after 1:00 a.m. The call was placed by an unknown individual at a nearby phone booth. No one saw her leave her home. She has never been heard from again.

Pearson's car, a dark blue 2001 Audi, was located at an apartment complex off Egypt-Central on January 7, two days after she was last seen. The location is two miles from her home in the 6400 block of Daybreak Street.

There were no signs of violence in or around the Audi, but the vehicle had been wiped clean of fingerprints. Pearson's medical bag was in the trunk, along with her keys and an envelope of cash.

At home, she left behind her her insulin pump and other supplies she needed to control her diabetes. She also left her pager behind, although she is a pediatrician and was on call the weekend of her disappearance.

Pearson's sister was listed as the beneficiary for her life insurance policy. Her sister's husband has a criminal record and was out on bail awaiting trial for bank robbery when Pearson disappeared. Authorities considered him a possible suspect and interviewed him, but he had an alibi and there was no evidence to tie him to his sister-in-law's disappearance. He was later convicted of the bank robbery and imprisoned.

Pearson is a graduate of Jackson Central Merry High School, the University of Tennessee, and Meharry Medical College. She moved to the Memphis area in the late 1990s, and at the time of her disappearance she lived on Daybreak Drive in Bartlett, Tennessee. Her loved ones describe her as a family-oriented person who would not disappear voluntarily without warning.

Pearson was declared legally dead in 2009, the same year her father died. Her case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.
Like this match.
But can you compare the two persons's facial features?

Who checked her into the adult foster care facility? I am confused about the backstory. If she was homeless and had her legs amputated because of frostbite like they think may have happened, did the hospital just release a double amputee back into the streets? Or did the hospital arrange for her to be checked into the facility? If so, I would think there would be solid info on the reasoning for amputation.
I think that the hospital checked her because of her cognitive issues after the accident.

But for me, the homelessness for a moment rings a bell of mental illness, substance abuse and/or mental disability.

I'll go back there tomorrow.

Can someone look at the yearbooks in Ancestry given the two possible high schools she attended? Also, finding someone married to Peter Smith and a son David in California.
Doable with Ancestry... but only for someone with an account

Imgur Pic link

IMO, I feel like there are similarities. China is the top left photo, the other two are CLP

Dr. Cherryl Lamont Pearson is from my hometown. I’ve wondered if she could be a match for China. I figured it was too far fetched to submit, but what do y’all think?
  • Missing Since01/05/2002
  • Missing FromBartlett, Tennessee
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceBlack
  • Date of Birth08/21/1964 (55)
  • Age37 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'7, 160 pounds
  • Medical ConditionsPearson suffers from type one diabetes and requires insulin for it. She left her insulin pump and other diabetic supplies behind.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Pearson has a long, dark-colored birthmark on the side of her face. She has a small sixth finger on each hand. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Pearson was last seen at by friends at approximately 1:00 a.m. on January 5, 2002. She had attended a Memphis Grizzlies game at the Pyramid in Memphis, Tennessee and went to her residence afterwards, where she entertained some female friends.

She was supposed to go to her sister's home to babysit her children later on the day of January 5, but never showed up. Pearson's daughter said she had complained of feeling weak and lightheaded at the Grizzlies game.

hone records show Pearson received a five-second phone call at her residence after 1:00 a.m. The call was placed by an unknown individual at a nearby phone booth. No one saw her leave her home. She has never been heard from again.

Pearson's car, a dark blue 2001 Audi, was located at an apartment complex off Egypt-Central on January 7, two days after she was last seen. The location is two miles from her home in the 6400 block of Daybreak Street.

There were no signs of violence in or around the Audi, but the vehicle had been wiped clean of fingerprints. Pearson's medical bag was in the trunk, along with her keys and an envelope of cash.

At home, she left behind her her insulin pump and other supplies she needed to control her diabetes. She also left her pager behind, although she is a pediatrician and was on call the weekend of her disappearance.

Pearson's sister was listed as the beneficiary for her life insurance policy. Her sister's husband has a criminal record and was out on bail awaiting trial for bank robbery when Pearson disappeared. Authorities considered him a possible suspect and interviewed him, but he had an alibi and there was no evidence to tie him to his sister-in-law's disappearance. He was later convicted of the bank robbery and imprisoned.

Pearson is a graduate of Jackson Central Merry High School, the University of Tennessee, and Meharry Medical College. She moved to the Memphis area in the late 1990s, and at the time of her disappearance she lived on Daybreak Drive in Bartlett, Tennessee. Her loved ones describe her as a family-oriented person who would not disappear voluntarily without warning.

Pearson was declared legally dead in 2009, the same year her father died. Her case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Cheryl has a long birthmark on the side of her face and a small 6th finger on each hand, so idk if China could be Cherryl, but no harm in submitting it to LE, right?

True. Would you mind submitting it for me please?
I am very busy at my mess for my friend in Venezuela (medications issues and spending already way too much time on the phone with carrier customer service).
Since I'll already spend all afternoon (afternoon in France) on the phone, I prefer letting you submit it.

Cheryl has a long birthmark on the side of her face and a small 6th finger on each hand, so idk if China could be Cherryl, but no harm in submitting it to LE, right?
Did you or someone else have time to submit this potential match this week?

Still having to deal with such a crazy mess with courrier customer service that I hardly have time to blow in a hankerchief!

I am way too busy next week for phone calls during US business hours. Another sleuther in a same or similar timezone would be better off at calling.

Also, Cheryl left her insulin pump.
Which means with severe hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia, she could had been confused and homeless with unmanaged type 1 diabetes.
Being homeless at Detroit is not out of the realm of possibilities with unmanaged type 1 diabetes.

The 6th finger is specific enough for ruling her in or out.

I agree with submitting it, but I will submit by email rather than by phone.
If email is absent, whoever wants can submit by phone. Just tell you submitted it by phone to avoid having too many sleuthers submitting the same possible match to LE.

Imgur Pic link

IMO, I feel like there are similarities. China is the top left photo, the other two are CLP
Submitted your idea to the MSP, Missing Person Unit.

Their answer:
Good afternoon Ms. [Giuc0],

Thank you for the tip. I have assessed the two cases and due to evidence and additional information we have on China Black, these two are not a match. I appreciate the work you put into comparing the two individuals profiles. If you come across anything else, feel free to reach out.

Stay safe -

So, back to the drawing board!

She is a double amputee and is missing her left pinky finger. She says she was hit by a drunken driver after leaving a McDonald's on Woodward Avenue near Wayne State University. She believes that's when she lost her memory.

"It's frustrating that you wake up in the hospital and you don't know who you is," Black said.

snip

The Michigan State Police said they will consider genealogy DNA if no one recognizes Black or there are no hits in the CODIS database.

Michigan State Police attempt to identify Metro Detroit woman who doesn't remember her identity

Thank you for these links. I wish I knew how to get still shots from the video posted here. She's got some dental stuff going on that would be helpful to know for comparisons.

No idea about how to do it with the sound, sorry.

If something is said in the video, better transcripting it because videos screenshots are often grainy :(

If it's really word for word, the part RBBM is an important clue about her education.
The mistakes are so glaring in the BBM parts that if it doesn't provide a clue, idk what it is!

That would eliminate Cherryl as a potential match right off the bat!

By watching the video on Michigan State Police attempt to identify Metro Detroit woman who doesn't remember her identity I can definitely say that she indeed speaks "who you is".

Two hypothesis:
1) She may have had a severe preexisting disability which damaged the brain area for academics.

2) Or it is from the accident.

The way she speaks tells about how extensive her disability is currently.

In her manners, I didn't find evidence of ASD, but from such a short interview, I can't say more.
Haven't found any evidence of ADHD, but she is probably medicated and you don't pick up these clues in such a short clip easily.

Can anyone detail the dental work she underwent?

Ok, the certain thing is we know who she is not: I do not believe, based on "who you is", that she had attended university, or even got her GED.

Maybe she did and the accident damaged her academics, but it's more likely than not it stems from a preexisting condition.

If I picked up this detail before, it would had been glaring to me that she was not a doctor, lawyer... in her past. So, Cherryl Pearsons would had been a glaring rule-out!

I don't know to what extent we can tell someone's education from the way they speak. It might just be the grammar she was raised with, it's pretty standard AAVE in some areas to speak that way and it doesn't denote a lack of education (but it's true that a lot of people raised speaking that way, who do get an upper education, will train themselves out of speaking in their normal way so they aren't judged). Though I think we can say, statistically, considering her homeless situation and her mental health, it's likely that you're right that she doesn't have any upper education.

I don't know to what extent we can tell someone's education from the way they speak. It might just be the grammar she was raised with, it's pretty standard AAVE in some areas to speak that way and it doesn't denote a lack of education (but it's true that a lot of people raised speaking that way, who do get an upper education, will train themselves out of speaking in their normal way so they aren't judged).
Thank you for this teaching moment :)

I live in Europe, which this way of speaking does immediately ring a bell.
As a polyglot, I can assure you how much you learn about a person only from her linguistincs!

I know that most people mostly rely on non-verbal cues, thus paying much less attention to the linguistics itself.

But in my personal experience, detecting lying is better done through the speech and content analysis than non-verbal cues. Thus, an anxious person who fidgets, and so on, you can better analyse the cause of her anxiety through a throughout speech analysis than from non-verbal cues.

Her speech, to a certain extent, speaks about her education level, her intellectual abilities, her abilities to process emotions...
Though it can be limited by cultural aspects.

Also, you can picck important cultural clues by solely analysing speech.
Two examples in English:
1) If the person says, EX: "flavour" instead of "flavor", you can be certain that she is not of Northern American education.
A Northern American speaker would say "flavor". An UK, SA, NZ, AUS, African, maybe Jamaican would say "flavour".

2) Another example giving clues to someone's past is hearing expressions you've never heard before, and you wonder what do they mean. EX: "Does she really choose to live in the Gramadoelas?" is not easily understable for a US native unless he has family or friends in South Africa. In SA, "living in the Gramadoelas" means living in the middle of nowhere.
In Australia, NZ, you would had said "living in the outback" instead of "living in the Gramadoelas"
Source: Oxford English Dictionary adds new entries: chuddies, jibbons and fantoosh | Reference and languages books | The Guardian
If the person hasn't lived in SA, you can be sure that she has been in close contacts with SA natives at some point in her life.

I have examples in French, my mother tongue and in Spanish, but I'm not sure they'd convey my point as well as my two examples above.

An example in writing where you can be sure that the person is not a native English speaker in her writing, and is highly relevant in the cyber space. In French, if you see [Question ? Text follows ], [Exclamation ! Text follows], [semicolon ; Text follows] and such, you can be certain that she is a French speaking native.
In French, the cardinal rule is that after a question mark, an exclamation mark, a semicolon... you have to leave a space before the punctuation sign and after your punctuation.

They are very subtle clues, but they give you vital clues for finding someone's past identity.

About speech, choosing "China Black" as an alias can point to clues about her past. She can be of Cuban, or at least Carribean descent.
You have a lot of African and Asian descents at Cuba, so "China Black" can point out to her origins.

My clear issue here is that if we start with the names she has given, it is a needle in the haystack because they are so common you spend an inordinate amount on it!

If you pick specific clues from her speech, you can narrow down your searching pool even with limited MP reported info.

Of course, her speech can be affected by being medicated or not, her state of mind on the specific day...

For an European ear, "you is" is such a glaringly unusual way to speak that it does immediately ring a bell.

I conceive that for a native US speaker, it doesn't necessarily raise any question.

But in UK, only people with very severe cognitive impairments can speak in such way.

At least in Europe, "you is" strucks as so unusual you immediately think that something is going on.

Teaching me about AAVE grammar does enhance my sleuthing skills because I can avoid making glaring mistakes.

So, if next time, it helps me see a blatant rule-out, as we say in France, I'll go to bed less stupid! (We even have a site collecting unusual knowledge called after this expression, but the authors took the expression in its litteral sense).

Would you mind telling me in what regions AAVE is widespread?
States or parts of them can be helpful at pointing clues from her past.

I wish I had a complete transcription and a full videotaped interview with China Black for more linguistic clues, cues of a specific neuropsych illness!
I have brain injury from birth, ADHD is one of its sequelaes with a collection of others.

It explains why I want so badly to help finding her identity!
With my very limited means and my disability, maybe we can do it!

Neurosciences are still in its infancy, there is still so much to learn.
But nothing can substitute picking up subtle linguistic clues for directions leading to her identity!

Though I think we can say, statistically, considering her homeless situation and her mental health, it's likely that you're right that she doesn't have any upper education.
Thank you for guiding me for better sleuthing :) I wish I could send virtual flowers here but alas! We can't send virtual smells yet!

Edit for spelling, grammar and such. Gee, I should not post after severe sleep deprivation! (went to bed at 3:00am & woken up by a parcel delivery at 8:30am. If it's not being sleep deprived, idk what it is!)

Last edited:
Also, "who is" makes me think that she is unlikely to have been adopted.

1) An adoptive family, a fortiori when she was a child, is overwhelmingly an upper-middle to upper class Caucasian couple. Upper-middle to upper class + Caucasian = she would had naturally say "who you are" because it would had been the way the Caucasian upper-middle to upper class couple speak every day.

2) Given her age, I strongly doubt she was an international adoptee. Adoptive couples adopted children looking alike them, so fair complexioned children. In interracial adoptions, dark children were very unlikely to be adopted.

By listening to her interview again, do I imagine something or she really has a strong Southern US accent?
Fellow sleuthers who are US native, can you enlight me please?

To be honest my knowledge of AAVE isn't as wide as it could be. I'm European too!

I do know that Detroit AAVE accents (which is what she should have if she was raised in Detroit as she thinks) are usually non-rhotic, whilst white people from Detroit usually have rhotic accents. The tense and aspect parts of AAVE usually follow different rules to a standard accent. It has four aspects of past tense and two aspects of future tense (pre-recent, recent, pre-present, past inceptive, and then immediate and post-immediate for future tense) but these too vary by region. A lot of AAVE accents will use 'ain't' in place of 'isn't, haven't, hasn't, don't, doesn't, didn't' etc. It's this sort of grammatical difference that can make some people turn up their noses and think those with AAVE accents/grammar are uneducated, but it's just how some regions speak.

AAVE started as almost entirely southern and rural but is now pretty widespread - though it would surprise me if she was from outside the state. I think you're right that it's unlikely she was adopted as most adoptive parents are middle or upper class and white. Adoption is expensive! The only exception would be if she was adopted by a relative, like an aunt or cousin or grandparent, because of the death of parents or being removed from her parents' custody.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back