MI - Samantha Woll, a Detroit synagogue president, fatally stabbed *Arrest*

DETROIT – More information related to the fatal stabbing of Samantha Woll, a well-known Detroit synagogue president, may come to light during the preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing her.

Michael Jackson-Bolanos, 28, is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, Jan. 23 for the continuation of a preliminary examination hearing. Jackson-Bolanos has been charged with felony murder, and other charges, in connection with the Oct. 21, 2023, killing of 40-year-old Woll at her Detroit home...

Can’t access the article but would love to know what the Wayne County assistant prosecutor is describing as “a tragic mistake.”
Media victim blaming... IMO...
Mistake?
SHE did not make a mistake by entering her own home and continuing her own life as she sees fit.
Door was closed...
Locked or not...
PERP is the monster at fault.
IMO

Media victim blaming... IMO...
Mistake?
SHE did not make a mistake by entering her own home and continuing her own life as she sees fit.
Door was closed...
Locked or not...
PERP is the monster at fault.
IMO
I disagree that is 'victim blaming'.

On the contrary, I think the prosecutor (not the media, who quoted him) is stating that there was no intention on Samantha's part: she wasn't expecting anyone , she wasn't blind to the risk of leaving her door open in Detroit. She simply made a mistake and didn't completely close it behind her. And that simple, ordinary mistake lead to her death.

People make mistakes, most people don't blame them for it.

No one is saying 'the accused made a tragic mistake'!

JMO

Some mistakes are paid with life :(
That is sad reality.
People should be aware of it.

JMO

Here's another article from today's preliminary hearing. I extracted a portion (bbm) that addresses an additional charge.

"Judge Kenneth King sent the case against Michael Jackson-Bolanos to trial court with an added first-degree murder charge, saying “whoever did this had ample opportunity to reflect on their actions,” before stabbing her eight times in the head and neck during an Oct. 21 home invasion in Detroit's Lafayette Park neighborhood, just east of downtown."

I disagree that is 'victim blaming'.

On the contrary, I think the prosecutor (not the media, who quoted him) is stating that there was no intention on Samantha's part: she wasn't expecting anyone , she wasn't blind to the risk of leaving her door open in Detroit. She simply made a mistake and didn't completely close it behind her. And that simple, ordinary mistake lead to her death.

People make mistakes, most people don't blame them for it.

No one is saying 'the accused made a tragic mistake'!

JMO
Yes... I made a "mistake" by attributing the statement to the media instead of to the prosecutor.

But... in reference to Sam making a "mistake" by allegedly not locking her door....
The only reason it is a mistake is because of the crazy actions of an outside influence.

example:
Perhaps all situ was the same... but instead of an outside monster who makes "mistake"...
and a fire suddenly breaks out in her home...
and she is able to get out in time to save herself from the fire...
would leaving the door open be called a mistake then?
Or perhaps be called a blessing?

Further...
Say some Jane Doe habitually closes and locks bedroom door upon bed time... to create one more barrier to some home invasion.
Perhaps that locking action could be considered wisdom if it prevents harm from a surprising event such as an intruder...
However... if somehow room catches on equally surprising fire...
and Jane Doe is not able to get out of her locked room in time to save her own life...
Judgment of "wisdom" changes to "mistake"...

I am not trying to be argumentative...

I just feel that adjectives that lead to judgement should be eliminated when describing events where victims are not responsible for the tragedy that befalls them.

All JMO

I haven't seen that detail confirmed anywhere, do you have a link that makes that clear?

If you look at the timeline you will note it is stated that her door was left open

Last edited:
It also says in the ADT timeline that the back door was opened/closed twice within minutes after she arrived home. The air pressure shift could make front door open more. She does not own animals so she wasn’t letting the cat/dog in & out. This opens to a common area, not a private back yard/porch. Just seems unusual to do for after midnight in Detroit by a single women- MOO.
I wonder what she was wearing when she was found, still in the dress she wore at wedding or had she gone upstairs to her bedroom and changed before falling asleep? On the couch that the prosecutors are saying.
I want it so badly for this to be this MJB. For Justice to be served for Sam & her family, but the preliminary left a lot to be answered in trial. Why so little blood on his jacket? Why nothing stolen if his MO is larceny? How could all the bruising and stabbing take place with 2 main areas of blood loss in such a short time? Only movement after ADT went idle is 4:20 am. I heard the fruit basket was tipped over in dining/kitchen area in prelim, was it also said there was fruit on floor by couch in living room too? Much mention made of a neighbor hearing a scream about 1:30, does someone have a link where this statement is made?

It also says in the ADT timeline that the back door was opened/closed twice within minutes after she arrived home. The air pressure shift could make front door open more. She does not own animals so she wasn’t letting the cat/dog in & out. This opens to a common area, not a private back yard/porch. Just seems unusual to do for after midnight in Detroit by a single women- MOO.
I wonder what she was wearing when she was found, still in the dress she wore at wedding or had she gone upstairs to her bedroom and changed before falling asleep? On the couch that the prosecutors are saying.
I want it so badly for this to be this MJB. For Justice to be served for Sam & her family, but the preliminary left a lot to be answered in trial. Why so little blood on his jacket? Why nothing stolen if his MO is larceny? How could all the bruising and stabbing take place with 2 main areas of blood loss in such a short time? Only movement after ADT went idle is 4:20 am. I heard the fruit basket was tipped over in dining/kitchen area in prelim, was it also said there was fruit on floor by couch in living room too? Much mention made of a neighbor hearing a scream about 1:30, does someone have a link where this statement is made?
It seems the judge in this case did decide to let this case go to a jury, but some of his comments seemed to indicate he had a lot of questions as to whether the prosecution had enough evidence for a guilty verdict.

"When police arrived, they found signs of a struggle Sgt. Daron Zhou had testified, according to the Detroit Free Press.
A fruit basket had been knocked to the floor and Woll had bruises to her face, knees and elbows.
There was also blood in the entryway and couch in the living room -
where investigators believe she was asleep before being stabbed eight times.

'There was a lot of blood leading to the interior of the residence,' Zhou said."

It's easy to imagine SW's interaction with her attacker lasting mere seconds, and that the "bruising" she suffered was simply a result of falling to the ground and/or crawling outside (and not from some kind of drawn-out hand-to-hand combat or whatever the Defense suggested). Keep in mind that MJ was wearing surgical gloves. I'd imagine the Prosecution will call an expert who can explain why the types of wounds SW suffered are not the type that would necessarily cause a lot of blood to be transferred to whoever attacked her; that the large amount of blood found at the condo was a result of pooling rather than spraying. I'm also wondering whether the small amount of blood on MJ's jacket might be explained by the jacket having been washed. We don't know for sure whether MJ actually stole something from SW (there's no evidence either way--and evidence that valuables were left behind doesn't mean he didn't take ANYTHING) but it's easy to picture him panicking and leaving the scene (rather than poking around her condo for things to steal).

Also, the ADT evidence supports the finding that SW was attacked at 4:20am -- when the sensors were re-activated, not at "1:30am" when the sensors showed no activity in the home whatsoever.

It's easy to imagine SW's interaction with her attacker lasting mere seconds, and that the "bruising" she suffered was simply a result of falling to the ground and/or crawling outside (and not from some kind of drawn-out hand-to-hand combat or whatever the Defense suggested). Keep in mind that MJ was wearing surgical gloves. I'd imagine the Prosecution will call an expert who can explain why the types of wounds SW suffered are not the type that would necessarily cause a lot of blood to be transferred to whoever attacked her; that the large amount of blood found at the condo was a result of pooling rather than spraying. I'm also wondering whether the small amount of blood on MJ's jacket might be explained by the jacket having been washed. We don't know for sure whether MJ actually stole something from SW (there's no evidence either way--and evidence that valuables were left behind doesn't mean he didn't take ANYTHING) but it's easy to picture him panicking and leaving the scene (rather than poking around her condo for things to steal).
We tend to have this impression of stabbings causing this large volume of blood dispersal that lands all over the perpetrator, and yes, sometimes it does, but often it doesn't, too. Look at the recent trial to do with the killing of Brianna Ghey. The blood found on the defendants was minimal, despite the large number of stab wounds to Brianna's head, neck, and upper torso.

MOO

We tend to have this impression of stabbings causing this large volume of blood dispersal that lands all over the perpetrator, and yes, sometimes it does, but often it doesn't, too. Look at the recent trial to do with the killing of Brianna Ghey. The blood found on the defendants was minimal, despite the large number of stab wounds to Brianna's head, neck, and upper torso.

MOO
Regarding the stab wounds: Did the perp have the knife on his person, or did he take it from SW's kitchen counter?

Regarding the stab wounds: Did the perp have the knife on his person, or did he take it from SW's kitchen counter?
Police haven't said anything publicly and it's possible they do not know. From what I gather, the weapon was never found (so it's probably hard for police to tell what knife was used).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50
Back