MI - Shanda Vander Ark, charged with Murder and child abuse of son, 15, Norton Shores, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ice baths, denial of food led to teen’s death by mother’s hand, Muskegon prosecutor says

[...]
..she worked as a law clerk for Newaygo County Circuit Court and had graduated from law school, passed the bar exam but never was officially sworn in as an attorney.
[...]

So what we have is a seemingly intelligent person, who graduated law school and was working professionally as a law clerk, claiming she is unable to remember many of the facts and text messages presented by the prosecution.

MOO, but I'm not buying any of that. If her memory was as bad as she claims, then logically there's no way she could have graduated law school and be working in the court system. Again, MOO.

Vander Ark's attorney, Fred Johnson, argued his client did not grasp the harm she caused her son and did not know he was starving to death.

However, a Muskegon County deputy prosecutor, Matt Roberts, disputed that notion and said she tortured her son by feeding him hot sauce, putting him in ice baths, depriving him of sleep and locking the refrigerator and food cabinets.

Vander Ark's other son, 20-year-old Paul Ferguson, allegedly participated in the abuse, WZZM reported. Paul Ferguson faces one count of first-degree child abuse.

I realize Vander Ark's attorney is paid to defend his client, but how anyone could possibly believe him when he claims she did not know or realize the harm she caused her son and that she was starving him to death? AFAIK, all of the facts presented in her trial point to her knowing exactly what was happening.

MOO, but based on the evidence presented I cannot believe her denials or her alleged frequent 'gaps' in memory, even when her own texts are read in court.

I’ve been reading websleuths for years, but I think this is my first post.

This woman is a particularly monstrous abuser because to the outside world she appears to be an intelligent professional woman. I like how the prosecutor is just letting her talk. She’s digging her own grave with her selective memory and inconsistencies. She also seems to be blaming the victim a lot, talking about how sneaky he was. Poor kid was just trying to get food and stay alive. She seems to have no awareness that what she was doing was torture. No regret or remorse. Training Paul to be her henchman is another example of child abuse.

She seems to be someone who thinks they are brilliant and can talk their way out of anything—a personality type I’m very familiar with, unfortunately.
Bold and red color (above) by me.
So glad you have started posting -- your post is very strong. Your comment about Paul being her henchman is so true.

Hoping they will be incarcerated for a long, long time.

My god, there are no words for the depravity of this woman! It angers me that the jury did not get to ask her questions due to her "illness" this morning.

There needs to be some kind of state to state communication about people like this, same as in the Harmony Montgomery case. Her abuse was known in OK so she high tails it to MI and the Dad gives the kid back to her and this happens. Just disgusting.

Jury should be back in an hour with a guilty verdict, no doubt.
Yep -- I'm betting that the time it takes to fill out the verdict sheet (I assume that the jury has to put the verdict on a verdict sheet...) may well take longer than it will take to come to a unanimous verdict.

Here's a tidbit of MI law re murder -- I am assuming she was/will be charged with 1st Degree Murder.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -​

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.316 First degree murder; incarceration order upon conviction; penalty; definitions.

Sec. 316.

(1) Except as provided in sections 25 and 25a of chapter IX of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 769.25 and 769.25a, a person who commits any of the following is guilty of first degree murder and shall be punished by imprisonment for life without eligibility for parole:
(a) Murder perpetrated by means of poison, lying in wait, or any other willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing.
(b) Murder committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, arson, criminal sexual conduct in the first, second, or third degree, child abuse in the first degree, a major controlled substance offense, robbery, carjacking, breaking and entering of a dwelling, home invasion in the first or second degree, larceny of any kind, extortion, kidnapping, vulnerable adult abuse in the first or second degree under section 145n, torture under section 85, aggravated stalking under section 411i, or unlawful imprisonment under section 349b.
- - - - - - - - -​
much more in the complete statute...

This case has similarities to the Lacey Fletcher case, doesn't it. Someone suffering and starving to death over a long time, in a house with at least two other relatives. Educated caregivers who would have known how to find resources.
There are some differences in the cases, though.

“He look like that when you put him in the bathtub?” Roberts asked after slapping several pictures of Timothy’s bruised and severely wasted body in front of his mother.
The Michigan woman convicted of starving her disabled teenager to death violently vomited on the stand Friday after being shown pictures of his emaciated body hours before he died.
the NY Post must have been watching a different trial. Not only did Shanda NOT vomit profusely, she didn't even vomit a drop. She made a big show of gagging and did some tearless sobbing and that was that. I have no doubt she TRIED to vomit, but couldn't quite pull it off. MOO JMO

This case has similarities to the Lacey Fletcher case, doesn't it. Someone suffering and starving to death over a long time, in a house with at least two other relatives. Educated caregivers who would have known how to find resources.
I agree.

The difference is that Lacey's parents were getting sympathy in that thread because it was "only neglect"... which is a form of abuse!

Lacey's mom was also a court clerk, like Shanda Vander Ark.

Interesting to note that abusers who like to control people gravitate toward careers that give them power over others.
I feel the moms' professions make their crimes more insidious.

"Sheila Fletcher, 64, has worked as a police and court clerk in Baker and more recently as an assistant to the city prosecutor in Zachary, according to her LinkedIn page.
A Slaughter official said she resigned her post on the town’s Board of Aldermen on Jan. 24, three weeks after Lacey Fletcher’s death. She served for four years, most recently as mayor pro tem".

Ferguson appeared in a Muskegon County courtroom on Thursday for a settlement conference, where he entered a guilty plea to the single count. At the hearing, prosecutors said that they would not be filing any additional charges against him, in part because of feedback they got from the jury after his mother’s trial. Citing his cooperation, prosecutors recommended Ferguson receive a sentence within sentencing guidelines….

Before accepting the plea, the judge questioned Ferguson and warned him that when he imposes a sentence, “There is no guarantee that it would be within guidelines.” Ferguson answered simply, “Yes, Your Honor.”

The judge scheduled Ferguson’s sentencing for January 29. Vander Ark’s sentencing is scheduled for the same day

Ferguson appeared in a Muskegon County courtroom on Thursday for a settlement conference, where he entered a guilty plea to the single count. At the hearing, prosecutors said that they would not be filing any additional charges against him, in part because of feedback they got from the jury after his mother’s trial. Citing his cooperation, prosecutors recommended Ferguson receive a sentence within sentencing guidelines….

Before accepting the plea, the judge questioned Ferguson and warned him that when he imposes a sentence, “There is no guarantee that it would be within guidelines.” Ferguson answered simply, “Yes, Your Honor.”

The judge scheduled Ferguson’s sentencing for January 29. Vander Ark’s sentencing is scheduled for the same day

Curious what the jurors said to the prosecutor. Maybe CourtTV will interview him and we'll hear more.

Curious what the jurors said to the prosecutor. Maybe CourtTV will interview him and we'll hear more.

I don't know what to think. But, the kid probably never had a chance to be normal, and learn empathy. He grew up in an environment where abuse was normalized. And he was expected to abuse his brother, based on orders from his mother.

It is so twisted. The woman ruined their lives. The victim and the perpetrator.

Interview with prosecutor after 12/21 plea.

Discussing PF's social media posts.

Eta PF's FB link.

Last edited:
I'm surprised she called authorities following his death. He was already "invisible" to the community at large and wasn't connecting with extended family. This seemed to be the usual setup for a child "going missing or "running away. " imo

For anyone who may be interested:

Posted at 1:18 PM, January 4, 2024

Shanda Vander Ark was charged with murder and child abuse in the death of her 15-year-old son with special needs. Timothy was just 69 lbs. when he was found dead by his mom and brother in June of 2022. Prosecutors alleged that Shanda and her older son Paul tortured Timothy with ice baths and bread soaked in hot sauce made from two of the world’s hottest peppers. They also alleged that the pair denied him food and water. This week’s Court TV Podcast features Shanda Vander Ark’s direct examination in full as she tells the jury her side of this tragic story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back