Found Deceased MI - Wynter Cole Smith, 2, kidnapped and murdered, suspect Rasheed Malik Trice, 28, arrested, Lansing, 2 July 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How? How? How? How could someone be so evil? <tears>

When I looked at his FB yesterday it gave me some hope, mainly because he portrays himself as a great dad with all the pictures of him with a child (his?) on there, and I hoped he might have left Wynter with someone. He must have so much rage within that even stabbing the ex 15 times didn't release it all. I have to remind myself that he will have to answer for this to ease my rage at him...

he has pix of wynter there :(

...On Thursday, Almount Smith, Wynter’s grandfather, spoke with Local 4 photographer Sunny Shields and said there’s something he would like her killer to know.

“You took my grandchild’s future and dreams away from her,” Smith said. “She will never attend school and will never experience adulthood. She was a precious angel -- not only to me and her parents, but to everyone.”

Smith also sent the above photos of himself with Wynter...

Detroit — Law enforcement used information obtained from a suspect's cell phone to help narrow down their search for Wynter Cole Smith, the 2-year-old Lansing child who was allegedly abducted and found three days later in an overgrown field-like alley in Detroit.

Following Wynter's kidnapping, an Amber Alert sparked a statewide search by multiple local, state and federal police agencies and volunteers that ended at about 6:50 p.m. Wednesday when her body was found by the FBI in an area near Coleman A. Young International Airport on the city's east side...

The cell phone data helped law enforcement to focus on Detroit's east side, but it remains unclear how officers decided eventually to focus on the neighborhood near Coleman A. Young City Airport. At 6:50 p.m., an FBI agent found the 2-year-old's body...

No big surprise here. This is not RMT's first run-in with the law.

Thanks, BDE, for the info -- I guess he was heading for the Big Time -- and, if he is tried (or pleads -- hah!) and found guilty, then he is in for a Long Haul.

I think many of us felt that this sad, sad ending would come for that sweet pretty little Wynter who surely brought much joy to those who loved her. My heart aches.
Fly high, Sweet Girl, fly high.

Last edited:
...On Thursday, Almount Smith, Wynter’s grandfather, spoke with Local 4 photographer Sunny Shields and said there’s something he would like her killer to know.

“You took my grandchild’s future and dreams away from her,” Smith said. “She will never attend school and will never experience adulthood. She was a precious angel -- not only to me and her parents, but to everyone.”

Smith also sent the above photos of himself with Wynter...
His loving heart is broken -- I feel sure he will never be the same.
Many of us have seen the joy and pure love of a grandfather and a sweet angelic little girl who smiles so big when she sees her grand-daddy.
Saying a little prayer for him.

Detroit — Law enforcement used information obtained from a suspect's cell phone to help narrow down their search for Wynter Cole Smith, the 2-year-old Lansing child who was allegedly abducted and found three days later in an overgrown field-like alley in Detroit.

Following Wynter's kidnapping, an Amber Alert sparked a statewide search by multiple local, state and federal police agencies and volunteers that ended at about 6:50 p.m. Wednesday when her body was found by the FBI in an area near Coleman A. Young International Airport on the city's east side...

The cell phone data helped law enforcement to focus on Detroit's east side, but it remains unclear how officers decided eventually to focus on the neighborhood near Coleman A. Young City Airport. At 6:50 p.m., an FBI agent found the 2-year-old's body...

With technology these days, criminals can run, but they can't hide---

Authorities in Lansing, Mich., said the body of Wynter Cole-Smith was found Wednesday evening near Coleman A. Young International Airport. Photo courtesy of Lansing Police Department/Facebook

Authorities in Lansing, Mich., said the body of Wynter Cole-Smith was found Wednesday evening near Coleman A. Young International Airport. Photo courtesy of Lansing Police Department/Facebook
*she is so very precious. how could someone look into her eyes and take her life away? he should fry. light him up
Just look at that perfect child.

Detroit — They came, bearing colorful balloons shaped like stars and hearts, and a wooden cross, and wearing their grief on their faces for a vigil for little Wynter Cole Smith on Thursday, some as young as Wynter herself.

Showing the grief and anguish he felt about the slaying of the 2-year-old, Pastor Maurice Hardwick could only let out a yell.

Others in the gathering of more than 100 supporters who stood on the street where the girl was found 24 hours earlier joined him in their anguish.

"We are heartbroken," the Detroit activist said while clenching a megaphone. "Everybody out here is heartbroken."...

JUL 7, 2023
Two years before his arrest in connection with the disappearance of slain Michigan toddler Wynter Cole-Smith, Rashad Maleek Trice pleaded guilty to domestic violence after he was charged with assaulting the child's mother, according to court records reviewed by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY network.

The 2021 criminal case from Monroe County in Michigan, which also lists Wynter as a "victim or complainant" in the case, is part of Trice's lengthy and violent history documented inside the state's criminal justice system, records show. Records indicate Trice assaulted Symari Cole, the mother, and do not specify why her daughter is described as a victim in the case.

[...]

Cole and Trice had been in a previous relationship, according to authorities and court records. Police said Wynter Cole-Smith is not Trice's biological daughter.

Trice, however, did have a child with Cole, according to his account in a paternity case in Wayne County Circuit Court filed last year. Based on court records, their child would be younger than Wynter Cole-Smith.

[...]

(The article goes on to further detail his criminal history)

Wynter's father is a 24 year old senior and student athlete at the University of Tennessee Martin. He left UT as soon as he learned of Wynter's kidnapping to search for her. Nice picture of him with his daughter in the article.

Praying for Wynter's parents and grandparents as they grieve the loss of their beloved child and grandchild.

1688741815557.png

MASON, Mich. – The man linked to the disappearance of Wynter Cole Smith, accused of attacking her mother in Lansing, and charged with fleeing St. Clair Shores police has been moved from the hospital to a jail cell.

As of Friday morning, July 7, Rashad Maleek Trice, 26, of Detroit, has not yet been charged in connection with the disappearance or death of 2-year-old Wynter, whose body was found in an alley on Wednesday night.

He is, however, facing several other charges in Ingham and Macomb counties...

MASON, Mich. – The man linked to the disappearance of Wynter Cole Smith, accused of attacking her mother in Lansing, and charged with fleeing St. Clair Shores police has been moved from the hospital to a jail cell.

As of Friday morning, July 7, Rashad Maleek Trice, 26, of Detroit, has not yet been charged in connection with the disappearance or death of 2-year-old Wynter, whose body was found in an alley on Wednesday night.

He is, however, facing several other charges in Ingham and Macomb counties...

This case leaves me (and I know you and others as well) with a profound feeling of sadness and anger as well.

“Trice, 26, has been charged with felony assault with intent to murder, first-degree criminal sexual assault, first-degree home invasion and other crimes, state court records show.

Trice, through his attorney, declined to comment. He is being held without bond, with a probable cause hearing set for July 13.

Now, Wynter’s relatives are planning a Friday evening vigil.

“We are heartbroken over the loss of our beautiful daughter, granddaughter, cousins, niece and big sister,” her family said Thursday in a statement.

“Wynter’s brief but bright life was taken from her unnecessarily; and we will grieve her death forever.”

This case leaves me (and I know you and others as well) with a profound feeling of sadness and anger as well.
Trice should never have been walking free after his previous domestic assault record. Hopefully, the only daylight that he sees in the future is a prison yard. Given the opportunity, RMT would surely assault and/or kill again. JMO

Trice should never have been walking free after his previous domestic assault record. Hopefully, the only daylight that he sees in the future is a prison yard. Given the opportunity, RMT would surely assault and/or kill again. JMO
That is the part that makes me so angry- the problem is that there are many Trice's walking around free who should be in prison. It seems maybe that men who have committed domestic violence/assaults are not always given appropriate lengthy prison sentences.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseCherami
Back