Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to be traveling I70 Sunday- Tuesday from Kentucky to Colorado- any weather I should be aware of? I get nervous in flat land lol!
Oh flat land is the best there is for weather safety. You can always see what's coming!!! Storm spotting in hilly areas can be terrifying, for a number of reasons.

Thousands of SE Michigan residents without power for days

DTE Energy customers left without power after weekend storms

Thankfully, the woeful heat wave has passed, so those who are still left without power aren't sweltering. I was actually chilly during the night, got up and closed bedroom window, and got a throw out of the linen closet. Days are still warm but overnight temps in the 60s for the next few days. Nice :)

If you are thinking that Kansas is flat it is not. It is a total misconception. It is boring as heck but not flat at all. There are rolling hills of prairie land out west. jmo
I’ve only been through Kansas once by bus. Whatever that route was, it was exceptionally flat. However, I’m from Illinois and while parts of it are flat, we also have lovely rolling hills. But anyone driving the interstates through the center of IL on I-57, particularly in the southern part, is going to come away thinking it’s a rather ugly, flat state.

“It’s truly engrained,” said Jerry Dobson, professor of geography at the University of Kansas. “Every Kansan hears again and again, when new visitors arrive, ‘I’m surprised. This place is not as flat as I expected.’ I’ve driven across the state from east to west with a GPS unit on my dash. The first two-thirds are hilly. The last one-third is truly flat, and that’s the High Plains. The eastern part of Colorado is just as flat. Perhaps people forget the hilly part of Kansas and meld together the flat parts of Kansas and Colorado in their lasting memory.”

Research: If you think Kansas is the flattest U.S. state, you’re plain wrong

Just to clear up what I said about Kansas not being flat.

“It’s truly engrained,” said Jerry Dobson, professor of geography at the University of Kansas. “Every Kansan hears again and again, when new visitors arrive, ‘I’m surprised. This place is not as flat as I expected.’ I’ve driven across the state from east to west with a GPS unit on my dash. The first two-thirds are hilly. The last one-third is truly flat, and that’s the High Plains. The eastern part of Colorado is just as flat. Perhaps people forget the hilly part of Kansas and meld together the flat parts of Kansas and Colorado in their lasting memory.”

Oh, I agree. I’m just saying that these thoughts of prairie states being flat persist in part because some of the main routes through them show mostly flat areas. But get off the interstates and explore a little, and it may be entirely different.

I’m from a state that is perceived as flat cornfields 50% of the time, and as Chicago the other 50%. Neither is correct.

Oh, I agree. I’m just saying that these thoughts of prairie states being flat persist in part because some of the main routes through them show mostly flat areas. But get off the interstates and explore a little, and it may be entirely different.

I’m from a state that is perceived as flat cornfields 50% of the time, and as Chicago the other 50%. Neither is correct.

I agree, I need to explore my own state more. We have been to some areas. People would be surprised what their state has to offer.

Jewels....you will laugh at this and shake your head at the same time. Back in the mid 1990s a new manager was headed in my husbands department. The new manager has always lived in St Louis and never took a vacation out of that area. He got a transfer and promotion to Wichita, KS. He called and talked to all 6 employees under him....he was scared to come. He thought Kansas was the Wild West. That we did not have a lot out here and this still bothers me to this day....he thought there were Indians and Cowboys out here...shooting everyone. When he got here he was shocked Wichita was a normal city! We may be flat but there are rolling hills, mysteries of hidden gold in the hills, plus other sites. People really do not know Kansas.

Jewels....you will laugh at this and shake your head at the same time. Back in the mid 1990s a new manager was headed in my husbands department. The new manager has always lived in St Louis and never took a vacation out of that area. He got a transfer and promotion to Wichita, KS. He called and talked to all 6 employees under him....he was scared to come. He thought Kansas was the Wild West. That we did not have a lot out here and this still bothers me to this day....he thought there were Indians and Cowboys out here...shooting everyone. When he got here he was shocked Wichita was a normal city! We may be flat but there are rolling hills, mysteries of hidden gold in the hills, plus other sites. People really do not know Kansas.

That is hilarious! I know people have a misconception what Kansas geography is all about. We are not anything like what you see in the Western Movies.

When we got transferred to Lawrence, KS I was shocked at the some of the steeps hills going out to my DH office. I am still amazed at the hills around KU campus.

Winter outlook 2019-2020: What to expect in Michigan

DETROIT - The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released its winter outlook on Thursday, and it offers some interesting trends for us here in the Great Lakes region.

Overall, warmer-than-average temperatures are forecast for much of the U.S. this winter, according to NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. Although below-average temperatures are not favored, cold weather is anticipated and some areas could still experience a colder-than-average winter. Wetter-than-average weather is most likely across the northern tier of the U.S. during winter, which extends from December through February...

'Clash of the air masses' upgrades snow estimates to 4-6 inches in Metro Detroit
Detroit — As the work week begins in Metro Detroit, snowfall estimates have been upgraded from 2 to 4 inches that were forecast Sunday to 4 to 6 inches.

If estimates prove true, Detroit could set a new snowfall record for Nov. 11, not only topping the 4.1 inches seen on this day in 1984, but potentially dwarfing it. Only two November days in history have recorded snowfalls of six inches or more. One took place in 1925, the other in 2015...

Reactions: byo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member