Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But...she's made it clear that she doesn't want little kids as her fan-base. She's not even signed to her Disney record label anymore. Her song "We Can't Stop" is much different than her HM songs. So I don't see how the opinion of 8-year-olds on Miley's performance really matters?

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on her career in the long-term. I know Miley wants adults to like her, but it seems like this performance definitely set her back. I feel like there's a lot of people who don't like her, but like her music, though. It will probably just depend on how often the media reminds the public of this performance. Then again, how long do most pop stars last in the music industry?

I think that's the thing in show business...we don't have to like them to buy their music. It seems the new (well not so new) thing is the more chaos and drama you can create the more people will buy your stuff...or see your concerts...and so on...personally I like Chris brown's music but will turn it off because my values/morals are you don't abuse people....so I won't support it....that's big for me. It isn't for everyone. Some value music more. I think I went off topic...oops.

I don't even know how to respond to this. With respect, it's just not logical to me at all.

*advertiser censored* shaming is trying to cause a woman to feel embarrassment about being a sexual being. It's about trying to make someone feel slutty for being a normal person. It's about depicting as slutty, normal sexuality. It's not about criticizing a woman for crassly approximating the misogynistic interpretation of sexiness (actual sluttiness). You know, the kind of sexuality created by men for men? I mean, if you are interpreting *advertiser censored* shaming as criticizing actual slutty behavior, or characterizing the behavior, mannerisms and style of hookers as negative, then you have a vastly different understanding than me.

There is a usefulness for shame. But the kind of moral relativism you appear to be espousing basically states that right or wrong is always subjective or contextual or cultural and thus ever criticizing behaviors as wrong is inappropriately judgmental.

Sorry, friend, I find that to be ridiculous.

I absolutely see something wrong with selling sex for money. I mean what dream world are we in when prostitution is seen as just another job choice? Should it be legalized and regulated? I think so. Do I hate women who sell sex for a living? Of course not. Do I feel sorry for them. Absolutely. Would I ever want my daughter to do such work? Hell no. (Would you?)

You say I am demeaning sex workers/strippers/*advertiser censored* actors by ascribing a negative connotation to what they do. No, they are demeaning themselves. And most do so because they have no other way out. 99.9% of female prostitutes, strippers and *advertiser censored* actresses have been molested as a child. What is portrayed in most *advertiser censored* is not reality. It is a depiction of certain men's views as to what is sexually exciting. Most women find it to be incredibly debasing and anti-feminist.

Stripping? The current most predominant form - like the kind Miley was imitating - was again, created by men for men.

Having sex with strange men for money? It is an exceeding rarity that these women enjoy their work. I see prostitutes come into my office on a weekly basis. I know the reality of their lives. I have heard the stories from men who frequent prostitutes as well. Being beaten or robbed by Johns. Having sex while past the point of exhaustion. Having sex while blood gushes form their vagina from overwork and disease. If you think any negativity surrounding this work is subjective, I don't know what to say. There's no point in talking further. That takes moral relativism to such a degree that we might as well say no one should judge pedophilia because whether or not getting turned on by little kids is right or wrong is purely subjective.

Yes, IMO, prancing around like a stripper or costuming oneself like a prostitute is negative. It's gross, it's sad and it's pathetic, when coupled with nothing else. "Sluttiness", which is what this is, with no message, no talent, no artistry, is crap. Not art.

And that's what our conversation has been about.

Miley Cyrus was an exploited child star who grew up to have money but not much of anything else. She had opportunities to be someone. Instead, this is what she has become. I have a problem with that.

I find it ironic that the very behavior feminists used to decry as an example of violence against women and the exploitation and degradation of females by the patriarchy is now being embraced as a positive example of self-expression, when exhibited by very young stars who have been served up on a platter by their stage parents to money grubbing, soulless producers.

Please. This is just sad to me.

I had to bring this post forward...

I am so happy I don't have girls as I don't know how one shields them from this stuff in the age of Facebook, etc, which make them aware of everything even if they are restricted from watching inappropriate programs such as the VMAs.

As a mother of four boys, though, it is almost as daunting trying to bring them up to respect women, and see that displays such as Miley's are debasing to women. So many sitcoms today have constant sexual innuendos, and even blatant sexual statements and displays, and the bar is constantly being lowered. There really are no "safe" shows for pre-adolescents and adolescents from a parental point of view. Even the Disney "family" stuff is way over the line of what was considered appropriate not so long ago.

My daughter is 8 and in the third grade. Kids in her class were talking about this because she came home and asked me if "Hannah Montana had done dirty stuff with teddy bears". Even if its not geared toward younger kids, they see it. :(

My daughter is 8 and in the third grade. Kids in her class were talking about this because she came home and asked me if "Hannah Montana had done dirty stuff with teddy bears". Even if its not geared toward younger kids, they see it. :(

That's not Miley's fault, though. And it's up to the parents to make sure their children don't imitate her. How did the other kids in your daughter's class find out about it? Unrestricted use of the TV and computer?

That's not Miley's fault, though. And it's up to the parents to make sure their children don't imitate her. How did the other kids in your daughter's class find out about it? Unrestricted use of the TV and computer?

How is it not her fault?

How is it not her fault?

Because she performed on a show that was not aimed at kids. It's not her fault that the national media made a huge deal out of it. The shows and websites that talked about it are not aimed at kids either.

Because she performed on a show that was not aimed at kids. It's not her fault that the national media made a huge deal out of it. The shows and websites that talked about it are not aimed at kids either.

How is it not aimed at kids? People with children did watch it.

I believe I read the official rating for the show was 14. Which is well above the Hannah Montana age group.

Edit - so if folks are so concerned about younger children having been watching, their problem should have been with the adults who sat their youngsters down to watch a show aimed at teens and up.

Wow! Did you see the reference to Miley in that article. It leads to here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/pedobear-is-officially-miley-cyruss-1-fan-cci

Wow, I didn't catch that. 4chan strikes again (well, back in 2009 anyway lol). So I wonder if she/her show choreographers were playing off that as well with the bears.

4chan did something similar recently with, I think, Taylor Swift. Voted up some creepy looking middle aged dude to make him winner of an online contest to meet the celeb. Think I remember the contest was cancelled due to it.

Wow, I didn't catch that. 4chan strikes again (well, back in 2009 anyway lol). So I wonder if she/her show choreographers were playing off that as well with the bears.

4chan did something similar recently with, I think, Taylor Swift. Voted up some creepy looking middle aged dude to make him winner of an online contest to meet the celeb. Think I remember the contest was cancelled due to it.

bbm and omg that was indeed creepy stuff - and yes contest was cancelled.

I agree parents should not allow their little ones to watch this kind of stuff, or nearly anything on t.v. besides PBS. Lol.

However, I didn't watch this program. I found out about it through morning news, internet. I suppose children could too. It has been talked about ad nauseum, even on the evening shows. I'm sure lots of children have seen worse. There really was no avoiding it, unless you do not have a television. Not blaming Miley or her producers for that.

This was just bad. Bad performance, bad everything. No message that was decipherable, other than a young girl thinks an old dude is hot and wants to do him. It may have been to make fun of pedophelia (or Americans loving to watch little girls, ick), but like trying to out grow the little girl image, it did the opposite. It magnified it.

How is it not aimed at kids? People with children did watch it.

That doesn't mean it's aimed at kids. The show was rated 14 and up. It started at 9 PM on a Sunday. It has a history of having scandalous performances. Just because irresponsible parents decide it would be great family night viewing is not Miley or MTV's problem.

I just gotta say...

I think miley taught this cat how to twerk lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXCMJ7sV67c"]Animals Getting Wild: Cat Gets Down & Starts Twerking! - YouTube[/ame]

sors, but my humor is showing...

I think what Miley did at the vm'as is just to get some attention, jmo

I had to wonder about what all lead to this performance. My mind wondered to the horrid stories I've read about how many pedophiles are in Hollywood that prey on child actors. It probably has nothing to do with it.

I have to admit, I don't watch these things and I don't watch much tv at all. I do know young people will emulate what celebrities do. They like to dress like them, act like them, wish they were famous.... I don't like this at all. We can try all we want to shelter our children from this but it is literally impossible the older they get. Should we shame celebrities into setting good examples through their entertainment? I think we should. There really is no other way other than to speak out against it and stop spending money on it.

There is nothing cool or sexy about what she did. It was degrading. This kind of stuff certainly hurts the message we are trying to send about women being treated as human beings and not objects. Expressing ones sexuality has nothing to do with stripping to make it look like you are naked, twerking a old married man, rubbing your genitals on stage while girating your nasty coated tongue around and dancing with drugged pedo bears.

Thanks Miley and others, for making a "choice" to set a great example for your fans!

She's was a role model, whether she liked it or not. With that position came responsibilities. It's not okay to cash-in as a role model while it is financially advantageous (through her Disney contracts), then expect that she can cast off all related responsibilities when she wants to indulge in public lewd behavior. As an adult, she should know better.

Was her sex-infused stage appearance appropriate for anyone over the age of 14? Is it really the fault of parents if the younger siblings of a 14 year old child are aware of this lewd woman?

I agree parents should not allow their little ones to watch this kind of stuff, or nearly anything on t.v. besides PBS. Lol.

However, I didn't watch this program. I found out about it through morning news, internet. I suppose children could too. It has been talked about ad nauseum, even on the evening shows. I'm sure lots of children have seen worse. There really was no avoiding it, unless you do not have a television. Not blaming Miley or her producers for that.

This was just bad. Bad performance, bad everything. No message that was decipherable, other than a young girl thinks an old dude is hot and wants to do him. It may have been to make fun of pedophelia (or Americans loving to watch little girls, ick), but like trying to out grow the little girl image, it did the opposite. It magnified it.

I'm not seeing the "little girl" in the performance. What I saw was a lewd, talentless woman that appeared to have too much exposure to the *advertiser censored* industry.

Miley has been in the business long enough to know that if she put something like this horrible display out there that it would be talked about by everyone for many, many days. Let's not forget the backlash that she and Billy Ray both got for their photo a couple of years ago. Then there was also the pole dancing that Miley has done in the past as a performance as well. Miley knows full well that if she does something like this it WILL be talked about and her younger fans will end up hearing about it. As a 20 year old woman she is completely responsible for her own actions and the consequences of those actions. Miley decided to go for it and do this anyway so the fallout is on her.

I finally watched the part of the VMAs with Miley and Thicke and I personally found all of it to be disgusting. There was nothing of value to it at all. There was not a great performance, vocally or otherwise, not even a good performance. After watching that display I would have demanded my money back if I had paid to watch a show that included that carp.

MOO

She's was a role model, whether she liked it or not. With that position came responsibilities. It's not okay to cash-in as a role model while it is financially advantageous (through her Disney contracts), then expect that she can cast off all related responsibilities when she wants to indulge in public lewd behavior. As an adult, she should know better.

Was her sex-infused stage appearance appropriate for anyone over the age of 14? Is it really the fault of parents if the younger siblings of a 14 year old child are aware of this lewd woman?

Hannah Montana ended in 2011. She's no longer on Disney Channel. She is not signed to their record label. Her new music/image is not marketed towards children. It sounds like it's time for parents to find an actual role model (like maybe themselves?) for their kids instead of expecting a 20-year-old pop star to raise them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18