Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it not aimed at kids? People with children did watch it.

If you think the VMA's are appropriate for children, let's say 12 for example, then I don't know what to say. Look up on wikipedia the laundry list of things that have happened at the VMA's, this isn't the Oscars over here. As a matter of fact, you can make the argument that MTV as a whole isn't really appropriate for children with what they put on their air (Jersey Shore for example).

I still don't see how this is any different from what Madonna used to do in the 80's, with what she wore and what she sung.

Hannah Montana ended in 2011. She's no longer on Disney Channel. She is not signed to their record label. Her new music/image is not marketed towards children. It sounds like it's time for parents to find an actual role model (like maybe themselves?) for their kids instead of expecting a 20-year-old pop star to raise them.

100% agree. You think Chris Brown cares if he's a role model or not? Celebrities are not role models, their celebrities.

Elvis gyrated. Parents came unglued. Youngsters ate it up.

Prince wore high heels and sang about sex with his sister. Parents came unglued. Youngsters ate it up.

Madonna dressed like a bride and humped the stage and sang about being a virgin. Parents came unglued. Youngsters ate it up.

Now Miley is wearing rubber panties and fake fingering herself. I am not going to come unglued, because I don't want my youngsters to eat it up.

I still can't figure out the bears...

What was that all about?

Stuffed bears and other stuffed animals, especially wearing them as backpacks or other clothing accessories is part of the current rave/ecstasy drug scene. The kid sucking his thumb in her video and Miley writhing around sexually are all part of that as well. All of these are signs to people familiar with the "culture". Clearly, Miley is desperate for others to know she is a super cool super sexual party girl:
Most people who attend raves, whether taking E or not, dress in bright, flashy flamboyant attire which could often be described as child-like. Typical rave-going fashion statements include bright wigs, beads, glitter, stuffed animal backpacks, costume accessories, and an abundance of fluorescent color. Glowsticks are popular rave items since one's visual perception is heightened by ecstasy, and pacifiers and candy are often used to stave off the teeth-grinding that is a common side effect of the drug. Ravers incorporate bright, flashing lights and often enjoy laser displays tailoring to those under the influence. http://voices.yahoo.com/the-spread-ecstasy-its-relationship-with-2218245.html?cat=71

The average rave kid is between the ages of thirteen and twenty-five. In the scene many younger ravers wear distinctive clothing, some even wear or carry items that associate with drug use. For instance, some ravers that are seen wearing candy necklaces can disguise pills in with the candy beads. The ravers who wear pacifiers around beaded chains might try to look cute or strange, although some who wear these baby plugs suck on them to prevent teeth grinding while taking MDMA. It is common for ravers to dress for comfort. Wide legged and baggy pants are often worn along with a loose brightly colored shirt with different logos or symbols on them. The younger kids in the rave scene wear costumes, though all ravers dress differently. Some go to look like innocent children, decked in multi colored beads and accessories, carry stuffed animals, toys, and wear bright colors. Some wear wide legged pants with colored straps on the pockets, gas masks, goggles with radioactive signs, glow-sticks and fluffies (large multi-colored faux fur leggings).http://ravers-disease.deviantart.com/art/Essay-On-The-Rave-Culture-273884635

2. Kandi Kid Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on more

392 up, 66 down
Kandi Kids (other spellings of Kandi: Kandy, Candy, Candi, Candie ... you get the idea. other spellings for Kids: kidds) are people of any age (but usually not much older than 20 or much younger than 12) who believe thoroughly in P.L.U.R. (Peace Love Unity Respect (optional second R stands for Responsibility)), usually attend raves (though not all do, especially the younger ones) and are often seen wearing neon colors, sparkles, jewelry made of pony beads or similarly chunky plastic beads, things that sparkle, blink or glow and things made of/related to plushies (stuffed animals, for those of you who forget what plushies are). http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kandi kid
[quote=Ausgirl;9789653]So many "Disney kids" end up train wrecks.. there's quite a list now of those who've had drug/alcohol issues/mental breakdowns/abuse issues...

I think they're exposed to a lot of stuff kids ought not be, from a very early age.. and then people seem surprised when they melt down in their 20's.

Disney and companies like it, which make untold millions off the work of child stars. NEED to start taking good care of the children concerned, protecting them from industry predators, drugs, inappropriate parties, all the bad fast lane stuff. Because as the kids-grown-up continue fall like flies, it's really not good for the company image. :no:

eta : (I was using my sarcasm font, for that last bit.. jfyi)[/quote]

I remember watching outtake of a movie starring a child. He was repeatedly praised as being "genius" and hugged over and over and over again at the wrap party. Kids don't filter excessive praise the way adults can. Add parents who never discipline at all and allow exploitation, there is a huge receipe for disaster. I think that's what is happening with the Disney kids and other child stars.

I had to bring this post forward...

I am so happy I don't have girls as I don't know how one shields them from this stuff in the age of Facebook, etc, which make them aware of everything even if they are restricted from watching inappropriate programs such as the VMAs.

As a mother of four boys, though, it is almost as daunting trying to bring them up to respect women, and see that displays such as Miley's are debasing to women. So many sitcoms today have constant sexual innuendos, and even blatant sexual statements and displays, and the bar is constantly being lowered. There really are no "safe" shows for pre-adolescents and adolescents from a parental point of view. Even the Disney "family" stuff is way over the line of what was considered appropriate not so long ago.

I recall watching an episode of 90210 years ago. The curly blond kid grabbed his girlfriend and tossed her on the bed and said something to the effect of, "I want to do you in the..." and the trailed off. I was pretty surprised by that. Especially since it was marketed to young kids. The inference was clear to me.

If you think the VMA's are appropriate for children, let's say 12 for example, then I don't know what to say. Look up on wikipedia the laundry list of things that have happened at the VMA's, this isn't the Oscars over here. As a matter of fact, you can make the argument that MTV as a whole isn't really appropriate for children with what they put on their air (Jersey Shore for example).

I still don't see how this is any different from what Madonna used to do in the 80's, with what she wore and what she sung.

The difference? Madonna had talent. Again, I think people are forgiving when it comes to vulgarity or over the top sexuality if there is something, some little thing of substance or meaning backing it. I am not a fan of Madonna. I do not think her music is genius or beautiful or that she has an incredible voice or whatever. But she is supremely talented as a dancer and entertainer and as the writer of pop-hits which is a lot harder than many believe.

Miley is none of that. At least not now. Her performance was nothing but gratuitous sex performed awkwardly and immaturely. To me it looked like an out of control 13 year old who has no parental control, acting out what she thinks "sexy" is. You know, those horrible kids who go on maury or whatever and scream, "You don't know me. I do what I want!" It was pretty bad. In fact, it appears it was so amateurish an unsexy that most young men were not turned on by it at all.

I still can't figure out why people are worried about her Hannah Montana fan base. The VMAs are definitely not (and have never been) aimed at that age group.

It smacks of manufactured outrage. This performance was not on Disney, it was not on Hannah Montana, it was not on a show aimed at kids. So what, pray tell, is all the hullabaloo over some possible damage done to little kid fans?
Because it was televised, even broadcast on channels that weren't MTV and photos are up everywhere, even Instagram, so that little girls have/are seeing photos & videos of this performance, even unintentionally!!! I didn't let my 12-year-old watch the VMA's, yet she had seen Miley's inappropriate outfits on Instagram. It gets out- it doesn't stay confined to her target audience. That's why it's an outrage to parents like me whose daughters used to idolize Hannah Montana just a few short years ago. This is NOT what I want for a role model for my daughter- using your body for sex, instead of being valued for your brains. There are plenty of other ways to break out from being a Disney star without resorting to *advertiser censored*. Just look at Selena Gomez and Annette Funnicello for example...

I agree parents should not allow their little ones to watch this kind of stuff, or nearly anything on t.v. besides PBS. Lol.

However, I didn't watch this program. I found out about it through morning news, internet. I suppose children could too. It has been talked about ad nauseum, even on the evening shows. I'm sure lots of children have seen worse. There really was no avoiding it, unless you do not have a television. Not blaming Miley or her producers for that.

This was just bad. Bad performance, bad everything. No message that was decipherable, other than a young girl thinks an old dude is hot and wants to do him. It may have been to make fun of pedophelia (or Americans loving to watch little girls, ick), but like trying to out grow the little girl image, it did the opposite. It magnified it.
Bingo!!! It's not all about irresponsible parenting, my 12-year-old did NOT watch the show, yet she was fully aware of Miley's inappropriate outfits. Miley herself even posted them on her Instagram account.

The VMAs have NEVER been aimed at the 12 year old set, though. There is always some sort of "incident", some instance of pushing the envelope at this show. It's not like this was aired during "family hour" on Nickelodeon or Disney channel, and unsuspecting 12-and-unders were exposed to it.
But it was aired on other channels- I caught the whole video by accident on HLN- a trial channel, and other mediums like Instagram. My 12-year-old didn't have to watch the show to find out about it- it's all over.

But Instagram isn't aimed at 12 year olds either. Nor is headline news.

If I had a young daughter (mine's 15) and she saw this, and mentioned it, I'd talk to her and say something like: "You know what, honey? Hannah Montana was just a character in a TV show - I know you know the difference between real life and television. In real life, the young woman who played the Hannah character is a grown up now. She isnt a young girl like she was when she made the show. The other night, she did a grown up show, for other grown ups and older teenagers. I think what she did wasn't all good, for X,Y,Z reasons, but grown ups make their own choices, some good, some bad, and we won't always agree with everything they do. You can still like her show and her old music, but the new stuff isn't for girls your age. When you are a bit older, you can start making decisions on whether to follow her music or movies, but for now she is singing for grown ups, not girls your age, and we aren't going to buy it until you're older"

It's not that hard to talk to kids about this stuff. And if its really seeping into their lives so many ways, then there's no choice for a parent BUT to talk to them.

"she's letting down her HM fans"

Well those fans are now 20 years old too...they probably loved it.

"it was tacky and disgusting" - did anyone turn the tv off?

"she is acting like a tramp" - not one word about Robin Thicke, the source and co-performer of the "possibly pro rape" anthem

"it's not art" well to today's 20 year olds, it is. Who created this sexual world they grew up in?

US, that's who. You and me and the other "older generation" who are now clutching their pearls. It is Miley's art, she is expressing herself. Don't like it? Don't watch. :banghead:

Again, VMA'S not the Nobel Prize Ceremony.

VMA's in downtown Brooklyn right? Yeah obviously high society...NOT.

Everyone said exactly the same things about Elvis.

"she's letting down her HM fans"

Well those fans are now 20 years old too...they probably loved it.

"it was tacky and disgusting" - did anyone turn the tv off?

"she is acting like a tramp" - not one word about Robin Thicke, the source and co-performer of the "possibly pro rape" anthem

"it's not art" well to today's 20 year olds, it is. Who created this sexual world they grew up in?

US, that's who. You and me and the other "older generation" who are now clutching their pearls. It is Miley's art, she is expressing herself. Don't like it? Don't watch. :banghead:

Again, VMA'S not the Nobel Prize Ceremony.

VMA's in downtown Brooklyn right? Yeah obviously high society...NOT.

Everyone said exactly the same things about Elvis.

:goodpost:

Truth!

But Instagram isn't aimed at 12 year olds either. Nor is headline news.

If I had a young daughter (mine's 15) and she saw this, and mentioned it, I'd talk to her and say something like: "You know what, honey? Hannah Montana was just a character in a TV show - I know you know the difference between real life and television. In real life, the young woman who played the Hannah character is a grown up now. She isnt a young girl like she was when she made the show. The other night, she did a grown up show, for other grown ups and older teenagers. I think what she did wasn't all good, for X,Y,Z reasons, but grown ups make their own choices, some good, some bad, and we won't always agree with everything they do. You can still like her show and her old music, but the new stuff isn't for girls your age. When you are a bit older, you can start making decisions on whether to follow her music or movies, but for now she is singing for grown ups, not girls your age, and we aren't going to buy it until you're older"

It's not that hard to talk to kids about this stuff. And if its really seeping into their lives so many ways, then there's no choice for a parent BUT to talk to them.
Believe me, we have talked. The point is I don't want her even accidentally exposed to this cr*p. There's no reason for it, other than that Miley has problems. The point about her being a role model as Hannah Montana is that the show just ended only 2 years ago- so you're supposed to take a girl who idolized MC at age 10, and suddenly say don't follow her career anymore??? That's not going to happen. I did block my daughter from following Miley Cyrus on Instagram when I discovered it late last night, but by then it's too late, you can't unsee what you've already seen!!!

No, you can't unsee it, and that's why you talk. It's a good starting point for talking about all kinds of things, especially pointing out Robin Thicke's role (everyone remember HIM?! the recipient of all the grinding? who seems to have been forgotten about in the rush to shame Miley alone?) the lyrics of HIS song and how they are problematic towards women, etc. For talking about child stars, how they don't get to freely choose, really, the career they have been thrust into, and how the way they grew up affects them in adulthood, etc.

Trust me, your daughter will be exposed to much worse than this (if she hasnt already; and if she is on Instagram, theres a good chance she has) and I know you know that.

But for the sake of your DD, and all other women, I feel like all I am really asking is that the critique of Miley's performance be made without resorting to all the name calling (lewd, vulgar, trampy, trashy, whorish, slutty, etc), body shaming (she's not shaped like a real woman! She has no curves! What's wrong with her butt? What's up with her tongue?), etc. That kind of stuff is harmful to ALL women. And also importantly, to include Robin Thicke in your criticism. It's very hard for me to understand how many think its perfectly ok to single Miley out for this shaming, but give Robin a complete pass (or much of a pass; if he is criticized at all, it's merely an afterthought to all the Miley bashing). That tells girls and women that its okay for men to be raunchy, and participate in receiving this attention, but it makes the woman a *advertiser censored*. It's a demeaning double standard. And even worse when it comes from other women.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...and-miley-cyrus-craft-their-finest-twerk-song

"No, please. Stop."

"Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus joined forces to record a newly leaked club anthem with lyrics as wide ranging as "Girl I can't believe what you do to me" and "I valet the car." Of course the song's called "Twerk" and arrives on the heels of Cyrus' controversial performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, where she showered viewers (and Robin Thicke) with several minutes of her signature dance."

Lol, I keep seeing the Sex Pistols. Maybe that would be a better venue, not pop. Punk.

<modsnip>

OMG!:eek:

Blatant sexuality and drug use in Hollywood!

Who knew????

By the way I doubt Miley was high on anything other than her performance. You just can't twerk like that if you're off your face.

OMG!:eek:

Blatant sexuality and drug use in Hollywood!

Who knew????

By the way I doubt Miley was high on anything other than her performance. You just can't twerk like that if you're off your face.

WHAT?!?!? DRUGS?!?!? Noooooooooooo!!!!! :scared::scared:

Speaking of twerking... if y'all hear I have been practicing... you would be, of course, wrong. :innocent:

So who is Miley's intended audience, any ideas? Also, do people still pay for music in this day and age? If so who?

So who is Miley's intended audience, any ideas? Also, do people still pay for music in this day and age? If so who?

I could not tell what the target audience was. If it was 20 somethings, I take it from Gitana's post they are still into teddy bears. I have no clue.

If it was what Pop became, it would have been to sell to tweens and teens. Which could be where any issues are with the sexuality. (I just think it sucked really bad, someone should have told her she was not stage performance ready.)

I think most people download music to there mobile devices now, as far as people still playing music. I still play lps, cds, cassettes (yes I said it, no 8 tracks left), youtube or computer radio, radio, live music, sometimes 78's on the old crank handle Victrola! :eek:

I am not in MC's target audience, and DD is all grown up with her own babies to worry over, so that is no issue for me. Guess I am old.

But for the sake of your DD, and all other women, I feel like all I am really asking is that the critique of Miley's performance be made without resorting to all the name calling (lewd, vulgar, trampy, trashy, whorish, slutty, etc), body shaming (she's not shaped like a real woman! She has no curves! What's wrong with her butt? What's up with her tongue?), etc. That kind of stuff is harmful to ALL women. And also importantly, to include Robin Thicke in your criticism. It's very hard for me to understand how many think its perfectly ok to single Miley out for this shaming, but give Robin a complete pass (or much of a pass; if he is criticized at all, it's merely an afterthought to all the Miley bashing). That tells girls and women that its okay for men to be raunchy, and participate in receiving this attention, but it makes the woman a *advertiser censored*. It's a demeaning double standard. And even worse when it comes from other women.

Embrace and celebrate the fool she made out of herself? Really?
It was trashy...there is nothing wrong with calling it like it is.

I could not tell what the target audience was. If it was 20 somethings, I take it from Gitana's post they are still into teddy bears. I have no clue.

If it was what Pop became, it would have been to sell to tweens and teens.

I think most people download music to there mobile devices now, as far as people still playing music. I still play lps, cds, cassettes (yes I said it, no 8 tracks left), youtube or computer radio, radio, live music, sometimes 78's on the old crank handle Victrola! :eek:

I am not in MC's target audience, and DD is all grown up with her own babies to worry over, so that is no issue for me. Guess I am old.

I was being facetious, but just can't see this rubbish having a big audience, and I can't quite work out what it would be. I guess it's the kind of song that gets played in a club or whatever.

And my comment was about PAYING for music, actually forking out cash when most music can be found free online, especially by 20 somethings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper