Missing cell phones

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I called my cell phone company and told them I was concerned about my privacy, etc. They connected me with someone in the know. Basically he said that if I make a call, the cell tower it hit is logged. Voice mails and missed calls are not. If I answer my cell, it's also logged, and that information is not available to any LEA without a warrant.

He could have been talking out of his behind though, and I might have missed what he was trying to say, because he sounded busy and was talking fast.

Also, I'm in Switzerland, so it may be different in the USA.

That's true in the US- with the addition of the owner or owners listed on the acct. In other words- if it's your account- you can usually request the log after proving you are the owner of the acct.
It also depends on the provider. Many do log VM, because many attach VM services to their accts.

I wonder why, um, she didn't just check the incoming number in her phones history... :waitasec:

I said "ping or whatever" because I don't know how the cell companies are able to tell that a phone was answered, just that they can. Cell phones are always pinging from what I understand. But they must do something different when a call is placed or answered? Or maybe they just ping a lot when a call is placed or answered? IDK..... I'm giving myself a headache!

I don't really understand the cell phone technology but I think the phone must constantly transmit other information besides pings to the cell tower during a call so the tower can send your voice to the other phone.

This thread is so long, and there are so many great thinkers on here that it is safe to say a lot of us realize the (potential) importance of these missing cell phones and I believe they are going to be the key to this case...I asked at some point that.. the police must have the cell phone records (to have found out about MW, right?) but wouldn't they have to have been subpeanaed and wouldn't that have been a public record? Does a Grand Jury have to make their own subpeanas public?

Please don't judge someone by their hair color.
My hair is close to that same color. I'm not a whack job, I work full time, have two kids in college and one still in high school, pay my bills and am overall, pretty dadgum functional for the most part.
I colored my hair bright fushia like that in support of October being Breast Cancer Awareness month. After Halloween, I'll either go back to a normal color or do something else fun with it.
For years I coloured my hair cotton candy pink. I am not a whack job; I just like funky hair colours.

Right now, it's a boring chocolate brown, but there's a dark purple in thr store I've got my eye on.

That's true in the US- with the addition of the owner or owners listed on the acct. In other words- if it's your account- you can usually request the log after proving you are the owner of the acct.
It also depends on the provider. Many do log VM, because many attach VM services to their accts.

I wonder why, um, she didn't just check the incoming number in her phones history... :waitasec:

What did I miss? How do we know she didn't?

From what I understand, the cell phone constantly pings the nearest tower, but when I make a call or answer one, it's logged in such a way that it's absolutely clear that I made a call or answered one.

IMO

The reason people keep thinking it went to voicemail is probably because MW's explanation doesn't make any sense. Someone answered that call and MW isn't revealing who that was. Why? What is she hiding? LE questioned her 4 times for the same reason. She must know something. The whole cell phone story has been bizarre from the beginning, and I think it may be the key to the entire mystery.
She may very well only be hiding info to the reporter and the public in general. If she has info, I am sure LE has told her to keep mum on it so she probably tippy toed around the info to the reporter.

I think it didn't become important to her until tracked down by LE (unless she "knows something"). And by that time, the phone history (on her phone) was gone. For all we know, it was one of those bizarre phone calls that you get that make no sense. 50 seconds is not that long for some wrong numbers, especially if you've been awakened by the call.

A few years ago, I kept getting voicemails that were intended for a person with a different name. Calls like "Gladys, your dog is loose again", etc., and for a while I kept returning the calls and letting her know she had the wrong number. Then I gave up and just ignored them.

She probably didn't want to tell the reporter everything she knows. Hopefully she's told LE everything she knows.

From what I understand, the cell phone constantly pings the nearest tower, but when I make a call or answer one, it's logged in such a way that it's absolutely clear that I made a call or answered one.

IMO
Nice sleuthing!!! Two thumbs up at your making the call to your own cell carrier :)

What did I miss? How do we know she didn't?

Good point- we don't.

But doesn't it seem like LE would have seized her phone and done that? And if she already had, then she would know that? :waitasec:

This thread is so long, and there are so many great thinkers on here that it is safe to say a lot of us realize the (potential) importance of these missing cell phones and I believe they are going to be the key to this case...I asked at some point that.. the police must have the cell phone records (to have found out about MW, right?) but wouldn't they have to have been subpeanaed and wouldn't that have been a public record? Does a Grand Jury have to make their own subpeanas public?

No. Some companies - if they're having a good day - will give this simply on customer request, as in the case of Channon Christian's dad who got her ping information the day he requested it although she's an adult. I guess the account was in his name. I think almost all phone companies will give this information when then the police and customer request it together, which is what would have happened in this case. We were hearing about this call in the very first days of Lisa being missing - there was no subpoena needed.

I think it didn't become important to her until tracked down by LE (unless she "knows something"). And by that time, the phone history (on her phone) was gone. For all we know, it was one of those bizarre phone calls that you get that make no sense. 50 seconds is not that long for some wrong numbers, especially if you've been awakened by the call.

A few years ago, I kept getting voicemails that were intended for a person with a different name. Calls like "Gladys, your dog is loose again", etc., and for a while I kept returning the calls and letting her know she had the wrong number. Then I gave up and just ignored them.

She probably didn't want to tell the reporter everything she knows. Hopefully she's told LE everything she knows.

True. But if her phone was still intact, it's got a recoverable memory. Even if she erased the history, kwim?

I wouldn't judge anyone on hair colour, piercings, tattoos, choice of dress - pink hair however does make someone visually distinctive and neighbours would be able to say if she was previously known to have visited the Irwins.

Ok, if LE said nothing about the phone call, how did they MEDIA know to go interview MW? She certainly didn't sound comfortable talking with them?

SO, prior to Media contact the only people that knew about this phone call was LE, MW and whoever made the call. Which one leaked it to media????

IMO: someone within the LE leaked it - showing DS and JI a playing card -IMO - The timing of the lawyer squabble, to introducing MW into the game - to DS&JI leaving for a break....
I personally think somebody in MW's circle of friends leaked it. That age is known to not have a secrecy filter, especially when partying.

For years I coloured my hair cotton candy pink. I am not a whack job; I just like funky hair colours.

Right now, it's a boring chocolate brown, but there's a dark purple in thr store I've got my eye on.

My daughter does a lot funky things with her hair, and it's just her way of expressing her individuality. She is the sweetest, kindest, most honest person I know. People sometimes give her "looks", and it makes me angry because I know they are judging her. She, on the other hand, doesn't care at all when this happens. She's one confident young woman!

I could see if she has haphazard living arrangements, lives with other people or stays with friends, her phone could be almost shared property, other people could answer it or use it sometimes. I have a young 20-something niece with that kind of living arrangement, people moving in and out, part-time jobs, carefree existence. Just speculating about how someone could not know who answered their phone.

Considering the magnitude of this case and the surrounding publicity, don't you think MW would have at least been curioius as to who answered her phone from that number and would have wanted to determine who it was and what was said? I don't believe her, I don't believe DB or JI, and I don't believe the couple who said they saw a man carrying a baby that night.

I personally think somebody in MW's circle of friends leaked it. That age is known to not have a secrecy filter, especially when partying.

I've kinda wondered if, ya know. Someone pocket-dialed or something.

Good point- we don't.

But doesn't it seem like LE would have seized her phone and done that? And if she already had, then she would know that? :waitasec:

Maybe I misunderstood.
I'm quite certain LE has got her phone history, incoming numbers and all.

I am not sure what you're expecting her to know that she doesn't.

I find the whole story about DB "reprogramming" three cell phones unbelievable. If she was so drunk that she "blacked out", how in blue blazes could she have the wits about her to program a cell phone or three?
SBM
BBM
She could have been working on them earlier in the day before she started drinking. It is also possible she was working on that when she was sitting outside for a while. Nowhere does it say she was doing it after she was drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwen