Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i could believe this if the only person missing was Susie or Stacy. I don’t buy a prank gone wrong or a drunken jealous fit that results in three women, one an adult parent, going missing. I just can’t go that far personally. Making three women disappear from the face of the earth would have to be more than a spur of the moment heat of passion type of crime and something that was planned in advance. That’s where this theory loses me....if Janelle was jealous of Susie and wanted to hurt her, why take Stacy too? Surely she didn’t think they were BOTH screwing around with mike? And what about Sherrill? Why take her?

I am with you that a group of people can indeed keep secrets- especially if they feel threatened or that they could face prison time for their part.

The intent was to beat him up and intimidate him , it just proves faced with a murder charge ( not sure if MA had death penalty in 1969 ) kids can keep their traps shut a LONG time .

What if same with 3MW . Original intent wasn’t murder . Now you can’t have witness ,PANIC sets in . So all three are taken .

With no traction after 28 years , all possibilities should be looked at .

FWIW , I don’t believe jk had anything to do with the initial disappearances . But , may have been brought in later , as Police describe . Or has more knowledge then has been publicly given .

so these are kids who are getting a thrill from having sex in someone’s bed in a house they’ve never been to before, yet we are also supposed to believe that Janelle stayed home on a sofa with family when all her friends were lying to their parents staying elsewhere? These two theories don’t work together for me.

They may have had sex in the house- I actually did consider that, but as cherrymeg said, I also presumed that surely it would be too much to think they saw the purses, cars, clothes and thought the 3 “went for a quick walk” but still decided to romp in sherrill’s bed....that’s pretty ballsy, even for a teen.

And even assuming they did, what the hell would take SEVEN hours to sufficiently clean up? And why not call stacy’s mom when your other friend (Adina) is freaking out worried and why not initially disclose the 3:30 visit and why not initially disclose the two phone calls that made you so upset, and why would you clean up the glass and dump it across the street instead of in the house trash.......and on and on. That sex piece still wouldn’t explain much to me. How do you see it justifying the rest of her behavior?
I don't see anything particularly odd about Janelle's behavior.
-
You believe that seeing the three purses and three cars should have convinced Janelle that something was wrong, but you're only saying that because you have the benefit of hindsight. If I had walked in on that situation, I would have thought that the women had walked somewhere for coffee and donuts or gone out to breakfast in someone else's vehicle. When they weren't back after a couple of hours, I might have thought that someone had invited them to go boating or to go to the beach or to go on a picnic, etc. I would have been angry at them for breaking the plans; I never would have thought that they had been abducted. That wouldn't even have been my hundredth guess.
-
All of the behavior of Janelle's that you find odd seems to me like the normal behavior of a typical self-absorbed teenager.

I don't see anything particularly odd about Janelle's behavior.
-
You believe that seeing the three purses and three cars should have convinced Janelle that something was wrong, but you're only saying that because you have the benefit of hindsight. If I had walked in on that situation, I would have thought that the women had walked somewhere for coffee and donuts or gone out to breakfast in someone else's vehicle. When they weren't back after a couple of hours, I might have thought that someone had invited them to go boating or to go to the beach or to go on a picnic, etc. I would have been angry at them for breaking the plans; I never would have thought that they had been abducted. That wouldn't even have been my hundredth guess.
-
All of the behavior of Janelle's that you find odd seems to me like the normal behavior of a typical self-absorbed teenager.

again, you are leaving out a lot of facts and lies and smoothing over major issues (not a “couple” of hours but NINE or more before police are called). We can agree to disagree about Janelle and mike but to me, no way was this normal.

in any other case when people constantly change their stories and omit major details, we see this as a red flag. The fact that they were “teens” doesn’t change that for me.

again, you are leaving out a lot of facts and lies and smoothing over major issues (not a “couple” of hours but NINE or more before police are called). We can agree to disagree about Janelle and mike but to me, no way was this normal.

in any other case when people constantly change their stories and omit major details, we see this as a red flag. The fact that they were “teens” doesn’t change that for me.
Oftentimes, the changing of one's story, especially over a period of years, simply means that the person doesn't remember the details very well and is filling in the gaps. Memory is malleable; numerous studies have shown that. The Janelle angle is a red herring. And nine hours is nothing—people take for that long to go boating or go to a pool party all the time. Even after nine hours I would not have thought that three grown women had been abducted; that isn't an everyday occurrence.

Oftentimes, the changing of one's story, especially over a period of years, simply means that the person doesn't remember the details very well and is filling in the gaps. Memory is malleable; numerous studies have shown that. The Janelle angle is a red herring. And nine hours is nothing—people take for that long to go boating or go to a pool party all the time. Even after nine hours I would not have thought that three grown women had been abducted; that isn't an everyday occurrence.
Janelle and Mike H. were in and out of Sherrill's home along with other teenagers and their parents. They didn't bother to check in with Stacy's parents. No matter what excuses can be made for Janelle and co. acting like Sherrill wasn't going to come home doesn't make sense.

Janelle and Mike H. were in and out of Sherrill's home along with other teenagers and their parents. They didn't bother to check in with Stacy's parents. No matter what excuses can be made for Janelle and co. acting like Sherrill wasn't going to come home doesn't make sense.

Mrs. McCall and family were out for the day attending Lake Springfield boat races (incommunicado-no mobile phones) on 6/7. She called Kirby's at 10:30 am - mostly likely to touch base with Stacy regarding everyone's plans for the day. Stacy didn't overnite there - Mrs. McCall alluded to her thoughts that she would deal with that issue later. At that point in time - how many parents of teenagers would cancel their family plans for the day?

Janelle. How stressed would anyone be under her circumstances. She and MH are running around trying to find answers - where are they - coffee shop, sunbathing, sandwich shop, out for a walk, with SA heading to to Branson, etc. etc.. Where is her best friend? Where's Suzanne? Why isn't Mrs. Levitt home? Can't reach the McCalls. Physically checks back at Delmar several times and calls numerous times. Graduation day and nite was exciting and long - Sunday is wearing on - she's mentally and physically exhausted and scared. Worried that things aren't adding up - decides it's time to call others. Under those circumstances does crying seem abnormal for a teenager or even an adult?
Another area of introspect - not only Janelle, there are inconsistent statements attributed to Mrs. McCall also. Should Mrs. McCall be deemed culpable as well? Or could these inconsistencies be the result of LE's coaching requests in order to protect withheld information? Therefore, media reported as such.

Mrs. McCall and family were out for the day attending Lake Springfield boat races (incommunicado-no mobile phones) on 6/7. She called Kirby's at 10:30 am - mostly likely to touch base with Stacy regarding everyone's plans for the day. Stacy didn't overnite there - Mrs. McCall alluded to her thoughts that she would deal with that issue later. At that point in time - how many parents of teenagers would cancel their family plans for the day?

Janelle. How stressed would anyone be under her circumstances. She and MH are running around trying to find answers - where are they - coffee shop, sunbathing, sandwich shop, out for a walk, with SA heading to to Branson, etc. etc.. Where is her best friend? Where's Suzanne? Why isn't Mrs. Levitt home? Can't reach the McCalls. Physically checks back at Delmar several times and calls numerous times. Graduation day and nite was exciting and long - Sunday is wearing on - she's mentally and physically exhausted and scared. Worried that things aren't adding up - decides it's time to call others. Under those circumstances does crying seem abnormal for a teenager or even an adult?
Another area of introspect - not only Janelle, there are inconsistent statements attributed to Mrs. McCall also. Should Mrs. McCall be deemed culpable as well? Or could these inconsistencies be the result of LE's coaching requests in order to protect withheld information? Therefore, media reported as such.

Even if she couldn't get in touch with anyone in the McCall family that doesn't explain why people were camped out at Sherrill's home. Like you said no cell phones were being used so why were 18 (maybe more) people hanging around one phone line?

Even if she couldn't get in touch with anyone in the McCall family that doesn't explain why people were camped out at Sherrill's home. Like you said no cell phones were being used so why were 18 (maybe more) people hanging around one phone line?
Well, teenagers generally can't stand to be around adults, so if they have a house to congregate in where no adults are home, that's where they'll go, especially if there's a bit of an exciting mystery unfolding.

Well, teenagers generally can't stand to be around adults, so if they have a house to congregate in where no adults are home, that's where they'll go, especially if there's a bit of an exciting mystery unfolding.
Most teenagers wouldn't want to be caught by a parent in their house when they weren't invited in. Suzie wasn't there neither was her mom, why were 18 people there? People's houses are sometimes empty it's not an invitation to party or hang out in them.

Most teenagers wouldn't want to be caught by a parent in their house when they weren't invited in. Suzie wasn't there neither was her mom, why were 18 people there? People's houses are sometimes empty it's not an invitation to party or hang out in them.
Were you a teenager back in the late 80s/early 90s? Back then it pretty much was.

Hi all,

I see a ton of posts on here about the Springfield Three, though I've been unable to navigate to a central hub of information about the case. I also see a lot of shorthand i.e. "LE", and being relatively new to the case I was wondering if someone could either direct me to the proper thread, or educate me on the terms (or both!). I appreciate any help, and would love to talk theories and clues with anyone willing.

CK

Why? Because at 7:30pm realizing things weren't adding up - JK called them seeking advice/assistance? Per police incident report JK & MH, JK's parents, Adina + parent, Mr. & Mrs. McCall + 2 daughters = 10. Understandable.
Who are the additional 8 or more?

Hi all,

I see a ton of posts on here about the Springfield Three, though I've been unable to navigate to a central hub of information about the case. I also see a lot of shorthand i.e. "LE", and being relatively new to the case I was wondering if someone could either direct me to the proper thread, or educate me on the terms (or both!). I appreciate any help, and would love to talk theories and clues with anyone willing.

CK

I merged your post with the most current Websleuths’ thread for the Springfield Three. LE is shorthand for law enforcement. Here is the link to most abbreviations you’ll see around here...aka Websleuths lingo: Websleuths Lingo

ETA: here is the entire Springfield 3 sub forum I should have included initially The Springfield Three

Last edited:

Wait wait wait....are you saying you think the teens went to Sherrill’s house to party (during the daytime) because she wasn’t home? Partying in a house they had never been to when the kid whose house it is isn’t even there? And you think this was “normal” behavior for teens in the 80s-90s? I was a teen then and no, it most certainly was not. A party at night hosted by the kid whose home it was when the parents were out of town, yes. This is not that.

first, ms McCall called janelles home at 10:30 and was informed by janelle’s sister that neither Janelle nor Stacy was there. Yet Janelle says that she WAS home until 12:30, calling dozens of times to no avail. THEN, after this alleged inital 12:30 trip, Janelle gets back and finds out that Stacy has been busted for not staying at her (janelles house). So Janelle calls me McCall back, but does NOT tell her she has just come from the Delmar house. We know this because ms McCall says at this points she thinks the girls are still sleeping and that’s why they don’t answer the phone. This wrongful assumption was the reason the McCall’s headed to the lake instead of being concerned. So why didn’t janelle just tell her? She already knew Stacy stayed there so why not mention that hey, I just got back and there was broken glass and cars and keys and purses all there, etc? Why in the world would you keep this to yourself no matter where you thought they were? Instead she gives Janice the phone number and acts like she hasn’t been there.

Next, Janelle’s first story is that she wasn’t concerned. Ok. But then we know she calls adina who IS concerned and I’m sure told her so. The day goes on and Janelle goes back to the home at 3:30 and experiences two “obscene” phone calls while there and leaves crying in the backseat according to her new story dropped a year later. Yet, none of this is revealed to the police that night. Not the 3:30 visit, not the obscene phone calls, and she STILL doesn’t call anyone at this point even though now she says (a year later) than indeed she is worried at this point and was “crying in the backseat.”

No one apparently calls anyone until msmccall is finally informed by adina’s mother sometime after 7:30 (probably a while after 7:30 considering she doesn’t arrive until 9) that the purses and cars and keys are all there. And we don’t get the full story from Janelle even now because according to janelle she only went to the home at 12:30, 3:30 and 7:30, yet when ms McCall arrives at 9 no one is there (she says the house was completely dark, she stumbled in to find a light, and only afterward people started pouring into the house. So that brings us to FOUR trips to the home, not two, two obscene calls that surely to god would have been reported by any person with a single brain cell, and an admission that she was indeed worried by at least 4 but no phone calls to get help even though Stacy’s cover was long blown.

Please explain these inconsistencies with more than just “being tired” or “forgetful” or “being a teen.”

I’ll say once more- I don’t think janelle and Mike physically hurt or abducted the women but I think they are hiding something. And I don’t think having a quick romp in the house is the reason. Nor do I think the kids and their parents had a house party at Sherrill’s because “that’s what people did back then”.

first, ms McCall called janelles home at 10:30 and was informed by janelle’s sister that neither Janelle nor Stacy was there. Yet Janelle says that she WAS home until 12:30, calling dozens of times to no avail. THEN, after this alleged inital 12:30 trip, Janelle gets back and finds out that Stacy has been busted for not staying at her (janelles house). So Janelle calls me McCall back, but does NOT tell her she has just come from the Delmar house. We know this because ms McCall says at this points she thinks the girls are still sleeping and that’s why they don’t answer the phone. This wrongful assumption was the reason the McCall’s headed to the lake instead of being concerned. So why didn’t janelle just tell her? She already knew Stacy stayed there so why not mention that hey, I just got back and there was broken glass and cars and keys and purses all there, etc? Why in the world would you keep this to yourself no matter where you thought they were? Instead she gives Janice the phone number and acts like she hasn’t been there.

Next, Janelle’s first story is that she wasn’t concerned. Ok. But then we know she calls adina who IS concerned and I’m sure told her so. The day goes on and Janelle goes back to the home at 3:30 and experiences two “obscene” phone calls while there and leaves crying in the backseat according to her new story dropped a year later. Yet, none of this is revealed to the police that night. Not the 3:30 visit, not the obscene phone calls, and she STILL doesn’t call anyone at this point even though now she says (a year later) than indeed she is worried at this point and was “crying in the backseat.”

No one apparently calls anyone until msmccall is finally informed by adina’s mother sometime after 7:30 (probably a while after 7:30 considering she doesn’t arrive until 9) that the purses and cars and keys are all there. And we don’t get the full story from Janelle even now because according to janelle she only went to the home at 12:30, 3:30 and 7:30, yet when ms McCall arrives at 9 no one is there (she says the house was completely dark, she stumbled in to find a light, and only afterward people started pouring into the house. So that brings us to FOUR trips to the home, not two, two obscene calls that surely to god would have been reported by any person with a single brain cell, and an admission that she was indeed worried by at least 4 but no phone calls to get help even though Stacy’s cover was long blown.

Please explain these inconsistencies with more than just “being tired” or “forgetful” or “being a teen.”

I’ll say once more- I don’t think janelle and Mike physically hurt or abducted the women but I think they are hiding something. And I don’t think having a quick romp in the house is the reason. Nor do I think the kids and their parents had a house party at Sherrill’s because “that’s what people did back then”.
eyeseestars,

Please see excerpt and bolded sentences below from NL 06/07/02; then my comment following.

News-Leader 06/07/2002
(Snipped for word count)

Janis was a little upset that her daughter didn't stay where she had planned to sleep. But she would talk with Stacy about that later.

For the time being, she called Suzie's and left instructions on the answering machine for Stacy to call her when she returned.

Like Janelle and Mike, Janis was worried but not alarmed. The McCall family went to Lake Springfield to watch miniature boats race, as planned. Janis' mother from Oklahoma was in town, and the family enjoyed a hot day in the sun together.

Janis had talked to Janelle, who explained that she and Mike couldn't find Stacy and Suzie.

As the day wore on, Janis' voice on Suzie's answer machine was getting more frantic, her concern evident. Her worry grew when she got a call from a friend, the mother of one of Stacy's close friends.

"Are you aware Stacy's purse and her car and Suzie's car is still at Sherrill's house but the girls aren't?" the woman said.

The sun was starting to set. Janis and one of her two older daughters jumped in the car and drove toward the tiny house on Delmar. The plan was that the sister would drive Stacy's car home.

"I was going to let her look for her car and clothes," Janis says. "I thought, `That serves you right. You didn't let me know anything and I won't let you know.'"
-------------------------------------
Now, at this point Mrs. McCall has worried all day and has been made well aware of the strange circumstances at Delmar; but yet on the drive to Delmar she is thinking of punishing Stacy? Goes to show you that she didn't have an inkling either. Hindsight is 20/20. This only highlights that no one - not even Mrs. McCall - a mom - in her wildest dreams couldn't fathom that her daughter, Suzanne and Mrs. Levitt had been abducted. Yet, Janelle should have? Yes, after knowing their daughter's clothes, habits, etc. and instinct - Mrs. McCall called her husband. They knew LE needed to be called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95