Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well they didn't have anybody., :(

I know, I was waiting too. I hope at some point the lone juror will permit an interview as I want the opportunity to get a good feel for him/her. Something just doesn't feel right about this whole hold out thing.

I know everyone is disappointed by the jury non verdict today. Just imagine being in Janet's family's shoes. :(

Please people, let's get along. Stop the snipping at each other and personal attacks.

Agree to disagree and move on.

TIA for your cooperation,
fran

:seeya:

His mommy that said "f^%k" when the state was asking for a Sept retrial date.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? I saw her, couldn't believe it, and then it dawned on me that that word is probably as freely used in their vocabulary as I use the word headache.

Im too upset to read. Is there a bond? I do not want this guy out. Period, ever. I hope they retry and use a new da, they did a poor job, their case neededto b shored up. Also, when u hv a hold out they r refusing to deliberate and that is when u ask the judge to freaking remove the juror for refusing to deliberate. And bring in an alt. ppl no longer seem to know civics or american justice which is taught in ninth and eleventh grades. The foreperson should hv also known, to get rid or the juror who refused to deliberate. End of story.

Im too upset to read. Is there a bond? I do not want this guy out. Period, ever. I hope they retry and use a new da, they did a poor job, their case neededto b shored up. Also, when u hv a hold out they r refusing to deliberate and that is when u ask the judge to freaking remove the juror for refusing to deliberate. And bring in an alt. ppl no longer seem to know civics or american justice which is taught in ninth and eleventh grades. The foreperson should hv also known, to get rid or the juror who refused to deliberate. End of story.

The problem in getting rid of the problem juror was that there was not an alternate left. The judge released the alternate when deliberations began. I think the ADA did a pretty good job, which showed in her closing argument, else they would not have gotten 11 guilty votes.

I know everyone is disappointed by the jury non verdict today. Just imagine being in Janet's family's shoes. :(

Please people, let's get along. Stop the snipping at each other and personal attacks.

Agree to disagree and move on.

TIA for your cooperation,
fran

:seeya:

We were fine Fran, all 6 long weeks during this trial, until the one person showed up on here causing trouble 10 seconds after the final mistrial declaration was pronounced. That person hasn't even been in this trial thread for the duration, until this afternoon. The rest of us have behaved, I promise. :) And we will continue.

Thanks for getting me straightened out on this. I remember his suicide, but I was thinking she was in UNC-W.

She may have been a UNC-W student, East -- I can't remember -- but the murder definitely occurred in Raleigh -- it was the only weekend her roomie was out of town & she was by herself. The 2 women wanted a 2nd floor appt -- they said it made them feel safer, but all that was available was a 1st floor; and the lock on one of the bedroom windows was broken from day one. They complained about it, but it was never fixed -- sadly, that had a lot to do with this gruesome weekend.

I highly wonder if we have yet another CSI affect going on here...a person who does not know what circumstantial evidence is and what the difference between that and direct evidence. Too many lay ppl do not know this and yet we expect them to serve on juries. Yes there is evidence that he did it...just like there was with JY, BC, SP, NE. There are also the overwhelming stats that show women are more likely to be killed by a lover, past or present, and pregnant women are at even higher risk (I am on my phone so I don't have my stats links..but they are googleable and Charley Project has many many many cases of missing women, pregnant and not pregnant, where a former intimate partner is implicated). The evidence is there, and no one is going to see RA or anyone else give direct evidence. There is rarely a smoking gun. I am glad for the 11 who understood this. BTW I don't care what gender you are....murder is murder (yeah I am talking about you Jodi Arias).

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Alford plea and he accepts 2nd degree and 20 years?

I would not be surprised, considering the cost of a retrial and Janet's family is emotionally spent. If offered, Raven would be a fool not to take it.

I think a bright spot I this delay may be the recently found computer files. Defense used them in a "You never know what ELSE is on there!" kind of way. We already know there's nothing bad about Janet on there, but there MAY be things about Raven that the state has not had time to find yet.
This was a good trial run for the state, and the delay may help them get more evidence - direct evidence that will nail Raven once and for all. Implicating KarEn would be a bonus.

We were fine Fran, all 6 long weeks during this trial, until the one person showed up on here causing trouble 10 seconds after the final mistrial declaration was pronounced. That person hasn't even been in this trial thread for the duration, until this afternoon. The rest of us have behaved, I promise. :) And we will continue.

Except when I talked about my cleavage. :blushing: :drumroll:

Alford plea and he accepts 2nd degree and 20 years?

I would not be surprised, considering the cost of a retrial and Janet's family is emotionally spent. If offered, Raven would be a fool not to take it.
Raven would probably grab it, but the "almost there" vote will give them confidence to stick to their guns.
It sounds like the state has a pretty good track record of putting these murderers away.

I'll probably be here for a few days. I always need to talk out my feelings. But for those who are leaving:

I echo NCEast's sentiment. Thank you for letting me join your group. You guys are the best.

I'll keep up the prayers for Janet's family. I want to hug them.

bbm

Hi, JJ -- it was not a matter of "letting" -- you always have been part of this little band of folks looking for justice for Janet. It's your group, too, and we without a doubt would have been less if you had not been with us!

I'd like to hug them, too. Maybe someone who can do that is reading/will read this forum and he/she can at least tell them our sentiments -- and I'm sure the ADAs are doing some hugging which would also come from "we the people."

I certainly plan to be part of the next trial for Janet's slayer -- it's not a great way to have a "reunion," but that's what I hope it will be. The ADAs will be sharper; Donna Jackson, bless her smart heart, will be back; and more i's will be dotted and more t's crossed. And the State should have the advantage... Let us hope.

I may hang out here for a day or two, just to see if there might be more details that are informative or encouraging.

Looking forward for justice in the future -- see you soon, JJ! (((hugs)))

OMG.... How SAD for the family. Hope the defendant is shaking in his shoes. I hope he doesn't get out on bond! I do believe he would abscond.

I would take a lot of $$ or property for his bond -- since the crime is 1st Degree Murder (and he does have a record, however mild compared to a murder charge). I was just thinking about it -- is his family in a position to have that kind or cash or properties? And if he did abscond, he would be a wanted man, and his family, or whoever, will have lost whatever assets were pledged for his bond... Heavy-duty stuff, here, Boods, as you know!

I would take a lot of $$ or property for his bond -- since the crime is 1st Degree Murder (and he does have a record, however mild compared to a murder charge). I was just thinking about it -- is his family in a position to have that kind or cash or properties? And if he did abscond, he would be a wanted man, and his family, or whoever, will have lost whatever assets were pledged for his bond... Heavy-duty stuff, here, Boods, as you know!

I don't get a good feel that his family could afford much of a bond. So even if it's reduced, I hope and pray he stays put until the next trial. I was so happy to hear Charlene burst out with that Sept. something date for the retrial....she's already on go. I hope it's not going to take a year, or another 8 years. I am so in touch with what Janet's mother and family are going through, I just hate so badly that it was not all finalized today. I am hoping one of the local tv stations will get an interview with the hold out juror, I am bursting to 'meet' him or her.

I don't get a good feel that his family could afford much of a bond. So even if it's reduced, I hope and pray he stays put until the next trial. I was so happy to hear Charlene burst out with that Sept. something date for the retrial....she's already on go. I hope it's not going to take a year, or another 8 years. I am so in touch with what Janet's mother and family are going through, I just hate so badly that it was not all finalized today. I am hoping one of the local tv stations will get an interview with the hold out juror, I am bursting to 'meet' him or her.

I wouldn't do that interview if I was that person. Think about it, you are the sole cause as to why the guy got a mistrial and you're going to get no sympathy from the public because it was a innocent vote you held out for, not guilty. You were probably getting steamrolled in the jury room, you probably want to go hide somewhere.

This is what is annoying about juries. Trials like this (granted I didn't follow this close) and JY wind up with mistrials but then the Cooper case, which IMO had reasonable doubt, doesn't. It's a very uneven system and there doesn't seem to be any formula to what happens/should happen with jury verdicts, no matter how slam dunk a case may be (especially Jason Young).

I wouldn't do that interview if I was that person. Think about it, you are the sole cause as to why the guy got a mistrial and you're going to get no sympathy from the public because it was a innocent vote you held out for, not guilty. You were probably getting steamrolled in the jury room, you probably want to go hide somewhere.

This is what is annoying about juries. Trials like this (granted I didn't follow this close) and JY wind up with mistrials but then the Cooper case, which IMO had reasonable doubt, doesn't. It's a very uneven system and there doesn't seem to be any formula to what happens/should happen with jury verdicts, no matter how slam dunk a case may be (especially Jason Young).

I totally agree about the hold out juror. If it were me, I'd be in hiding for the rest of my life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil
Back