MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
~whew~

I was holding my breathe........until he was about 5 or 6 sentences in.......then I knew he was going to send them back.

If it's a "Timing" issue - I think that might point more towards a guilty verdict? Anybody else thinking that?

With this judge and knowing one person friendly to the defense is on this jury I'd just as soon see the state try SM again.
I agree. If there is a deadlock and more evidence comes to light, is it admissable?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What is court's exhibit 7? Anybody know?

Remember, the business video had what appeared to be the actual time stamped. But, the video from the resident appeared to have been an hour off.

Remember, the business video had what appeared to be the actual time stamped. But, the video from the resident appeared to have been an hour off.
I think she did not change the clock to accommodate daylight savings time, so it was off

Such an instruction became known as an Allen charge and is given when, after deliberation, a jury reports that it is deadlocked and unable to decide on a verdict.
Per wiki

intended to prevent a hung jury by encouraging jurors in the minority to reconsider.

Allen charge is when they tell them to go back in and try to reach a verdict, just what he did. Court 7 ? something about time stamps?

Hopefully, the jury heard the judge when he said in a round-about way, 'If you cannot deliberate, we'll find another jury that can."

Maybe that will put some pressure on them to come to a verdict even if it is not legally allowed by the court?

Example of Allen Charge:

This is an important case. The trial has been expensive in time, effort, money and emotional strain to both the defense and the prosecution. If you should fail to agree upon a verdict, the case will be left open and may have to be tried again. Obviously, another trial would only serve to increase the cost to both sides, and there is no reason to believe that the case can be tried again by either side any better or more exhaustively than it has been tried before you.

Any future jury must be selected in the same manner and from the same source as you were chosen, and there is no reason to believe that the case could ever be submitted to twelve men and women more conscientious, more impartial, or more competent to decide it, or that more or clearer evidence could be produced.

If a substantial majority of your number are in favor of a conviction, those of you who disagree should reconsider whether your doubt is a reasonable one since it appears to make no effective impression upon the minds of the others. On the other hand, if a majority or even a lesser number of you are in favor of an acquittal, the rest of you should ask yourselves again, and most thoughtfully, whether you should accept the weight and sufficiency of evidence which fails to convince your fellow jurors beyond a reasonable doubt.

Remember at all times that no juror is expected to give up an honest belief he or she may have as to the weight or effect of the evidence; but, after full deliberation and consideration of the evidence in the case, it is your duty to agree upon a verdict if you can do so.

You must also remember that if the evidence in the case fails to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the Defendant should have your unanimous verdict of Not Guilty.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/a105.htm

~whew~

I was holding my breathe........until he was about 5 or 6 sentences in.......then I knew he was going to send them back.

If it's a "Timing" issue - I think that might point more towards a guilty verdict? Anybody else thinking that?

We don't know that the "timing" is the only issue tho.

I think she did not change the clock to accommodate daylight savings time, so it was off

Yes! And the expert dude explained all of that during the the trial.

If it is the two conflicting times on the cameras, is. It really that difficult to accept the daylight savings issue? That would be such a shame.

I was confused about this too; not about the time being off but how the expert knew what it actually was. But, at some point, I think folks just need to understand that an expert is an expert is a reason. They know things we don't, and you have to decide whether or not to trust that expert even if you don't understand EXACTLY what they said (because you're not the expert).

Jury getting way in the weeds if it's over the black truck heading to PTL or returning.

And the timing on 2 different videos

IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is the two conflicting times on the cameras, is. It really that difficult to accept the daylight savings issue? That would be such a shame.

IIRC it wasn't just off by an hour. It was like an hour and 8 minutes or something. That's probably what is throwing them.

Yes, but the witness explained how he was able to recalculate based up the cameras hard drive.

Allen charge is when they tell them to go back in and try to reach a verdict, just what he did. Court 7 ? something about time stamps?

Yes, the timestamps were off onscreen. The CCTV owner testified that she was aware of the fact and said they did not manually turn them back.

However, the CCTV's internal system was said to make the adjustment for DLST. Where is that info Nancy? Going back to look for that info now.

P.S. I noticed the weird timing of the seconds. Most likely a cheap-o system.

How do you all know the jury foreman is a friend of KT? My real question is, do other jury members know he is a friend? I doubt the jury would have voted this friend a jury foreman if they sensed conflict

But the Judge mentioned a time difference of 3 hours ? So couldn't be the daylight savings time video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper