MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 24 June 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love seeing him in his pretty orange colors. LOOOOOVE.

f9aaf08324987933a6d17920ec945d50.png

No decision... judge will review and get back to one of the attorneys.

Sounds to me like judge is feeling inclined to move the trial to a neighboring county (which the state objected to).

Judge expressed concern not over the news media, which he complimented, but on SOCIAL media. He didn't specify any particular platform, just lumped it together. Not sure how social media can be controlled (imo, there is no control possible). Moving the trial to a neighboring county may help but may not. State wants a county outside of the immediate viewing area if there's going to be a change of venue. Judge didn't seem eager on that. State argued they believe there are people who are not aware of the case right within Horry County. Judge said who knows if they (the 30 or so the solicitor mentioned) were even truthful.

Judge made a point of talking about the "friend of Truslow," saying that he (the judge) cannot just dismiss someone for knowing/being friends with one of the attorneys and since this person swore they could be impartial the judge claims he had no choice but to seat them. (Anyone know the law on this?)

I predict: change of venue but over to the next county, which Sidney wants, state doesn't want, and may not make a difference.

No decision made at the hearing.

WMBFNews.com ‏@wmbfnews 7m7 minutes ago
Judge will review submissions on the motion for change of venue before making his ruling.

WMBFNews.com ‏@wmbfnews 6m6 minutes ago
Judge tells media there is no need to call him, the decision will be made available. Hearing is over.

ETA: Aaaand I'm too slow!

I have no feeling either way on a change of venue. Just want to get the trial started again.

in other news yesterday ....

Though he received a five-month jail sentence on the contempt charge, Moorer could be released near the end of September for earning credits for good behavior and working. Moorer currently is assigned to housing unit clean-up at the jail and is allowed two 30-minute visits each week.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article100480682.html

Pic of him yesterday:

57d090a450a4d.image.jpg

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_4c8a04fa-7540-11e6-85e0-1f5afc1c89f5.html

In the video clip., Nancy Livesay says she feels they can find local jurors who have not heard of the case. Dennis says, that's what they said in the OJ Simpson case

Dumb comparison. SM is not a celebrity.

Moorer has been at an Horry County jail since July 29, when he was sentenced to five months incarceration on a contempt of court charge for breaking a gag order by speaking to the press during his trial in June.

HCSO Chief Deputy Tom Fox said a judge can specifically order for a defendant to not receive work credit during a sentence, but Moorer’s order doesn’t include that, so the jail is required to allow him to work.

Fox said high-profile inmates typically work in the kitchen or grounds inside the secure part of the jail.
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/33040...-retrial-date-venue-in-moorer-kidnapping-case

Syd can put his culinary degree to work :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like judge is feeling inclined to move the trial to a neighboring county (which the state objected to).

Judge expressed concern not over the news media, which he complimented, but on SOCIAL media. He didn't specify any particular platform, just lumped it together. Not sure how social media can be controlled (imo, there is no control possible). Moving the trial to a neighboring county may help but may not. State wants a county outside of the immediate viewing area if there's going to be a change of venue. Judge didn't seem eager on that. State argued they believe there are people who are not aware of the case right within Horry County. Judge said who knows if they (the 30 or so the solicitor mentioned) were even truthful.
RSBM & BBM: If I read correctly, moving the trial would mean keeping it in the 15th judicial circuit. The only two counties in this circuit are Horry and Georgetown. Georgetown doesn't have its own news stations. Just like us, they watch Myrtle Beach, Florence, and Charleston news. To me, moving the trial seems like nothing more than placation at the taxpayers' expense. JMO.

RSBM & BBM: If I read correctly, moving the trial would mean keeping it in the 15th judicial circuit. The only two counties in this circuit are Horry and Georgetown. Georgetown doesn't have its own news stations. Just like us, they watch Myrtle Beach, Florence, and Charleston news. To me, moving the trial seems like nothing more than placation at the taxpayers' expense. JMO.
Yes, Georgetown is the county that was mentioned and it's the point the solicitor made about Georgetown (being in the same viewing area). The judge didn't give any credence to the state's arguments about "demographics." In fact judgey-poo seems to dislike the word, "demographics," and then Nancy Livesay kept using the word after he reacted to it. <smh>. Judge was going round 'n round and frankly I had trouble keeping up with the verbal windmills of his mind. Lots of word salad from judgey-poo.

Yes, Georgetown is the county that was mentioned and it's the point the solicitor made about Georgetown (being in the same viewing area). The judge didn't give any credence to the state's arguments about "demographics." In fact judgey-poo seems to dislike the word, "demographics," and then Nancy Livesay kept using the word after he reacted to it. <smh>. Judge was going round 'n round and frankly I had trouble keeping up with the verbal windmills of his mind. Lots of word salad from judgey-poo.
Yeah, that move makes absolutely no sense, but why am I not surprised the judge is considering it as a solution?

As much as I like Livesay, and I do, I think she has a hard time reading people and cues.

While I don't want the trial moved, I kind of do just so he can't appeal it later when he is found guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members