MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 24 June 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for all the losses to Matthew and flooding down there. I hope you all are drying out a bit now. My little slice of heaven every summer is on Pawleys Island, and I feared it would suffer at least as much or worse than when Hugo blew through there. I'm glad it survived relatively intact.

As far as this case, WTH is taking the judge so long to set a new date for SM's trial?? My heart goes out to HE's family as they wait and wait and wait for justice.

I thought of the Elvis family today after I said to my son, "if you don't mind" and it made me think of the trial/prosecutor.

Yes, what the heck is taking so long???

I thought of the Elvis family today after I said to my son, "if you don't mind" and it made me think of the trial/prosecutor.

Yes, what the heck is taking so long???

I think it's safe to assume, it will be 2017 before we see a retrial. IMO

Where are we now in all of this? Is the judge still reviewing juror questionnaires?

Who knows? The system here is pathetic IMOO.

Agreed!
I've recently started keeping a spreadsheet of local crime data up-to-date with information from the MB daily crime bulletin and J Reuben Long's booking information. I'm keeping a log of not only the arrests, but also the crimes reported. I hope to eventually compare that data to information I plan to obtain from court records later. I'm trying to gauge how many of the violent crimes that occur in this county actually lead convictions and what kind of sentence is typically ordered for those who are convicted. I already know that far too many crimes that occur in this area are committed by repeat offenders and that far too many violent criminals are offered extremely lenient plea deals to avoid the trial process and this needs to change. I'm hoping once these cold, hard facts have been gathered, they can be used to light a fire under someone or get supporters to rally for a more competent solicitor if I have to. My goal isn't to place blame on anyone or to cause someone to lose their job, but to figure out why the violent crime in our area continues to increase (& I personally suspect leniency is a big factor) and what can be done to change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed!
I've recently started keeping a spreadsheet of local crime data up-to-date with information from the MB daily crime bulletin and J Reuben Long's booking information. I'm keeping a log of not only the arrests, but also the crimes reported. I hope to eventually compare that data to information I plan to obtain from court records later. I'm trying to gauge how many of the violent crimes that occur in this county actually lead convictions and what kind of sentence is typically ordered for those who are convicted. I already know that far too many crimes that occur in this area are committed by repeat offenders and that far too many violent criminals are offered extremely lenient plea deals to avoid the trial process and this needs to change. I'm hoping once these cold, hard facts have been gathered, they can be used to light a fire under someone or get supporters to rally for a more competent solicitor if I have to. My goal isn't to place blame on anyone or to cause someone to lose their job, but to figure out why the violent crime in our area continues to increase (& I personally suspect leniency is a big factor) and what can be done to change that.

Guess you saw there was a shooting on Saturday? Now they are saying it was gang related...

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article112763558.html

Myrtle Beach has become quite the cesspool of crime, drugs, and other horrific crimes.

I get a daily email report from SpotCrime about incidents in my area, but it does not include any details. Just the nature of the crime and an approximate location map. It's truly unbelievable how many shootings, assaults, and thefts that occur so close to my home! It's disgusting to think of.

In other places where I lived, there were "police blotters" in the local newspapers that gave daily crime reports. Not here though!

IMO, "the powers that be" keep as much out of the papers as they can. Or, they can only cover so much news, that they pick and choose what they want to run in the paper. But, in fact, the police logs are overwhelming with heinous and "stupid" criminal activity here.

One only needs to view a day of bookings at J Rueben Long Detention Center.

Sad.

I drove by Socastee High School yesterday and noticed that the HE banner is no longer hanging on the fence in front of the school.

https://goo.gl/xw849V

It was starting to look ratty though IMO.

In it's place are a bunch of "corporate sponsors" banners.

I drove by Socastee High School yesterday and noticed that the HE banner is no longer hanging on the fence in front of the school.

https://goo.gl/xw849V

It was starting to look ratty though IMO.

In it's place are a bunch of "corporate sponsors" banners.

Yeah, I actually noticed that a week or two ago myself. My parents live in the neighborhood right across the street from SHS, so I'm over that way all the time.

So sad nothing is happening in this case. Seems so obvious.

Agreed!

Its great you are doing that and I suspect it will be upsetting and eye opening when you see how many of the people arrested for real crimes just end up back on the street to do more crimes again.

It would not be so bad if when someone was arrested for a real crime that they actually did some hard time each time. Even if 1 or 2 years in jail would help. They get out so fast it makes you wonder if charges are just dropped sometimes even though they are guilty.

We get the "must have been a drive by gang shooting" all the time on our local news and its so bad that the news media and public is used to it and its like LE doesnt even try to find out who did it if it looks like a gang shooting.

Its like if it was gang related well lets not try to spend time and effort in finding them or prosecuting them. Well get them next time.

The problem with that is the next time means another victim. Sooner or later the victim is US from a stray bullet or robbery. Wish it was taken more seriously by all involved that can do something about it.

Moorer case moved to Georgetown County
By Kendall McGee
Published: November 9, 2016, 2:40 pm Updated: November 9, 2016, 2:51 pm

CONWAY, SC (WBTW) – On Wednesday, Judge R Markley Dennis Jr. issued an order granting a change of venue in the case of Sidney Moorer.

According to the order, the venue will be changed from Horry County to Georgetown County and the jury will also be selected from Georgetown County.

Moorer is accused of kidnapping Heather Elvis who disappeared in December 2013 and hasn’t been seen since.

[...]

“The Court’s primary concern is whether a fair and impartial trail may be had in this case. This Court finds that it cannot,” the document said.

In the order, the judge cites reports of a potential juror posting to Facebook that they “know how to get around the Judge just by saying that they can be unbiased.”

Of the 100 questionnaires submitted by the state that stated they could be unbiased and impartial, 35 percent of the individuals use Facebook, 16 percent had learned about the trial on the internet, and 6 percent openly admit to viewing part of the trial.

Officials have not yet released the new trial date.
http://wbtw.com/2016/11/09/moorer-case-moved-to-georgetown-county/

Thanks for the link PT!

Terry Elvis, the father of Heather Elvis, released the following statement regarding the change of venue:

'That decision the judge has made, in essence to me, says that Judge Dennis believes the people in Horry County can’t be trusted to dispense justice. I believe they can. However, the first time, the judge allowed a friend of the defense attorney to sit on the jury, even though there was a motion from the solicitor’s office that he be removed for cause. I don’t believe Horry County is so empty of people that are unbiased that they can’t seat a jury. I’d have rather seen him at least try to seat a jury than to make a decision based on what he’d seen online and what he’d seen from the jury polls that were sent out. I think the citizens of Horry County came really close to dispensing justice, but there was an immovable block in their way that should have never been allowed. Moving this to Georgetown won’t solve anything; the same media outlets exist. Regardless, this is a huge inconvenience for everyone. Horry County will have to travel. The people of Georgetown County are well familiar with the facts of the case, just like everybody else is, and no matter where you seat a jury, guilty is guilty.'

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/33671...orgetown-county-after-change-of-venue-granted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper