MN MN - Albert Lea, I-90, WhtMale 40-55, UP13731, garnet/ruby ring, clothes, coins 1965-1992, Apr'15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd like to see an official exclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can't rule him in or out.

His last known location was apparently Beloit, Wisconsin. His credit card was used in Albert Lea, but that doesn't mean he was anywhere near it. Might be him, might be it was stolen or found. Ambiguous.

The ring isn't distinctive enough to hang an identification on. Dentals can be ambiguous, especially if not all the decedent's teeth were found or if Mr. Clemons hadn't been to the dentist in some time.

If they haven't been able to rule him out, they're likely waiting on DNA results--and depending on which lab they used, backlogs are running in the 2-3 year range right now.

I'd like to see an official exclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if they can't rule him in or out.

His last known location was apparently Beloit, Wisconsin. His credit card was used in Albert Lea, but that doesn't mean he was anywhere near it. Might be him, might be it was stolen or found. Ambiguous.

The ring isn't distinctive enough to hang an identification on. Dentals can be ambiguous, especially if not all the decedent's teeth were found or if Mr. Clemons hadn't been to the dentist in some time.

If they haven't been able to rule him out, they're likely waiting on DNA results--and depending on which lab they used, backlogs are running in the 2-3 year range right now.

Broken Bones Raise Questions in Freeborn County Skeletal Remains Case
Dental work was submitted into two national databases, as was DNA taken from the remains, but neither have gotten any successful matches to help identify the person.

I don't have any reason to suspect someone other than Mr. Clemons used his card at the Conoco in Albert Lea. Don't know of any evidence that his card was stolen and used other places as well. Mr. Clemons is known to have been in Rochester for sure, and was supposedly sighted in Mankato as well, so I'd say there is a good chance he was in Albert Lea and a good chance it was he who used his card. As far as I'm concerned, his last known location, based on that charge, was Albert Lea. My understanding is that the last time his card was used was that charge in Albert Lea. It would seem there is a good chance, given that he permanently disappeared, that he died shortly after that charge. The unidentified remains were found 3 miles from the Conoco where the card was last used.

Remains were found 5 years ago. DNA results should be in by now if ever they will be. I would consider it incompetent for LE not to have shown an image of that ring to Nicole Clemons (or another relative) unless they somehow know for a fact the remains cannot be Mr. Clemons. It is not that difficult a thing to do. A few calls, a few emails.... She either says, 'no I never saw gramps wearing that ring...', or 'OMG, OMG...' Perhaps that has already happened. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
I don't have any reason to suspect someone other than Mr. Clemons used his card at the Conoco in Albert Lea. Don't know of any evidence that his card was stolen and used other places as well. Mr. Clemons is known to have been in Rochester for sure, and was supposedly sighted in Mankato as well, so I'd say there is a good chance he was in Albert Lea and a good chance it was he who used his card. As far as I'm concerned, his last known location, based on that charge, was Albert Lea. My understanding is that the last time his card was used was that charge in Albert Lea. It would seem there is a good chance, given that he permanently disappeared, that he died shortly after that charge. The unidentified remains were found 3 miles from the Conoco.

Remains were found 5 years ago. DNA results should be in by now if ever they will be. I would consider it incompetent for LE not to have shown an image of that ring to Nicole Clemons unless they somehow know for a fact the remains cannot be Mr. Clemons. It is not that difficult a thing to do. A few calls, a few emails.... She either says, 'no I never saw gramps wearing that ring...', or 'OMG, OMG...'

Hey, you're convinced and I'm not going to argue. I'm just saying there's a lot of room for ambiguity there and it's entirely possible they don't have a definitive answer.

And for the record, I don't think it's him. Too many things don't match.

Hey, you're convinced and I'm not going to argue. I'm just saying there's a lot of room for ambiguity there and it's entirely possible they don't have a definitive answer.

And for the record, I don't think it's him. Too many things don't match.
I'm not convinced of anything. Jeebus. There are literally thousands of missing to whom the remains could belong. All I'm saying is SHOW NICOLE THE RING.

W
H
Y

N
O
T
?

From NamUS

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing Levi's brand pants, size waist 34, length 30. Stafford brand underwear. Near the Body
What size did James Clemons wear? 30 would be short for a man 6' tall

Footwear Mario de Gerard loafers, size 8. On the Body
What size did James Clemons wear? 8 would be small for a man 6' tall

Jewelry A 10 karat gold ring with a red garnet or ruby colored stone. On the Body
Would Nicole Clemons recognized the ring as having belonged to James Clemons?

Coins dates range 1965-1992 Near the Body
No coins post-2000 when Clemons disappeared.

Estimated year of death: 2000-2012
Clemons' disappearance is within that range.

I'm glad to read the DNA Doe project is working on another Minnesota case, as I'm from Minnesota. They recently identified another person from Minnesota, Lilydale Jane Doe. It should be interesting to find out who this man is.
The DDP are also working now on Rock County John Doe from Minnesota
MN - MN - Beaver Creek Twp, I-90/Rock Co Rd, WhtMale 30-50, UP11523, in culvert, clothes, locket, Mar'81

Unfortunately all Minnesota cases are DDP fund cases, so the lab costs are not covered by the law enforcements but from public donations

Bumping for our guy!

And an FYI - I received an email from Dr. Huston (Ramsey County Medial Examiner contact for this case) in response to my inquiry about the possibility of Albert Lea John Doe being Mr. Clemons. His response:

Hi Lisa,

Since both the UID and missing person are in Namus and both (missing person’s family) have DNA listed, they would have been ruled out as the system would have identified a match/similarity.”

I'm not sure how to document an email but I am certainly willing to share it!

Bumping for our guy!

And an FYI - I received an email from Dr. Huston (Ramsey County Medial Examiner contact for this case) in response to my inquiry about the possibility of Albert Lea John Doe being Mr. Clemons. His response:

Hi Lisa,

Since both the UID and missing person are in Namus and both (missing person’s family) have DNA listed, they would have been ruled out as the system would have identified a match/similarity.”

I'm not sure how to document an email but I am certainly willing to share it!
I'd still show Mr. Clemons' grand-daughter Nicole Clemons a pick of the ring found with the remains recovered along I-90 just a few miles from Mr. Clemons' last presumed (based on credit card usage) known location at a gas station in Albert Lea, Minn.

I'd still show Mr. Clemons' grand-daughter Nicole Clemons a pick of the ring found with the remains recovered along I-90 just a few miles from Mr. Clemons' last presumed (based on credit card usage) known location at a gas station in Albert Lea, Minn.
It was a non-gas purchase - he was apparently hoofing it or hitching by that time, as he'd left the truck in Wisconsin by that point.... Poor guy was apparently totally disoriented. Mr. Clemons may not be the Freeborn County 2015 John Doe, but I think there's a pretty good chance his remains aren't far from Albert Lea....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micin
Back