Still Missing MN - April Lee Pease, 30, Bloomington, Hennepin County, 17 Mar 2009 *Arrests*

JUN 5, 2023
[...]

The court heard both VHS tapes Marks recorded to his son Adrian and Ginell in relation to the disappearance of April Pease. In Adrian’s tape, Marks said April is a terrible mother and Marks was coming to save him. Marks said if he failed, he at least succeeded in freeing Adrian.

[...]

When Ginell dropped the VHS tapes off to Bloomington PD, one of the cases had Pease’s SIM card attached to it for the last activity to be recorded on March 18, 2019. This is the same period Pease went missing with Marks and Kelly Sorenson in nearby states.

Washington State Child Custody Investigator Kyle Barber was the next witness to speak. Barber was assigned to Marks and Pease custody case in October 2008 after Pease filed protective orders charges in September 2008.

[...]

April Pease’s mother, Dorothy, testified this afternoon on April’s state in 2008-2009 and April’s relationship with Marks. Dorothy mentioned how April knew Marks would never leave her alone. Dorothy said Marks discovered that April went to a women’s shelter in Washington through Ginell and Kelly Sorenson calling to find her location for Marks to show up at April’s shelter to be arrested.

In cross examination, Marks didn’t deny telling Ginell and Kelly to call airports to find April’s whereabouts while he was in jail. Both Dorothy and Barber testified that Pease was going to a confidential shelter in Minnesota for April to check out between March 17 and 18, 2009, to then disappear.

[...]

JUN 5, 2023
[...]

In court, her mother, Dorothy Pease, testified how she believes Marks killed her daughter. She said Marks choked her and that her daughter explained how she was afraid of him.

Pease had three children and shared a son with Marks.

Pease did tell the jury her daughter lost custody of her two children and temporary custody was given to Marks after she went missing.

A video of marks dedicated to Pease's other two children and his son was played in court. In the video, Marks can be seen and heard apologizing to the three children for quote "What he was about to do."

That video was taken just a few days before Pease went missing.

[...]

JUN 5, 2023
[...]

The prosecution got into details of Marks’ ex-girlfriend and mother to one of his children, April Pease, a Minnesota woman who was found dead in 2009. Marks has been charged with second degree murder in that case.

The state showed videos where they said Marks confessed to killing Pease. Previously, Marks’ ex-wife, Ginell McDonough, verified the videos that were made out to her and Marks’ children.

The court learned the Marks and Pease had a nasty custody battle over their son, he said Pease was unfit to raise the child.

In the video to his children, he said he’s about to do something that will either put him in prison for the rest of his life or get him killed. But he doesn’t mind if it means protecting his son from Pease.

He said in the video to his children, “Even if I was to get away with this, I’ll show you this (video.) I’m a bad person, but I’m not a bad person to let a child to get hurt. I hope to be reunited with you, but if I fail at this, I succeeded anyway because I freed you.”

[...]

In the article above -

The prosecution got into details of Marks’ ex-girlfriend and mother to one of his children, April Pease, a Minnesota woman who was found dead in 2009. Marks has been charged with second degree murder in that case.

I have in my notes that she has NOT been found - and the title still has Still Missing. Wonder if the article is incorrect??

In the article above -

I have in my notes that she has NOT been found - and the title still has Still Missing. Wonder if the article is incorrect??
She has never been found. The article is wrong.

In the article above -

Ugh! It should read, "who went missing in 2009." MOO

JUN 6, 2023
[...]

Mark’s ex-wife, Ginell McDonough, also testified and confirmed that Marks admitted to her that he killed April Pease in Minnesota. Marks has been charged with second degree murder in that ongoing investigation.

McDonough said Marks told her that he left Pease unrecognizable in a shed in one of the Dakotas. McDonough also testified that Marks removed Pease’s teeth and hands.

McDonough also discussed videos in which Marks admitted to killing Pease. When the prosecution ordered McDonough to watch them, she cried, and Marks lost his temper. He was upset the state wanted to play videos in front of McDonough, especially since they were shown in court on Monday.

“Is this the Jenna Scott capital murder trial or the April Pease trial? I don’t understand,” said Marks.

[...]

JUN 6, 2023
[...]

... McDonough said Marks made his confession to her a few years after April went missing in 2009.

Recounting Marks confession, McDonough said Marks and his former girlfriend Kelly Sorenson got Pease in Minnesota to kill her in an abandoned shack in North or South Dakota.

McDonough wasn’t certain as to how Pease was killed, but said via Marks confession, he made April’s body unidentifiable removing her hands and feet.

[...]

In cross examination with the prosecution, Maxwell also confirmed in front of the jury Marks confessing to her about how he killed April Pease.

Maxwell said Marks was euphoric in sharing the details as if he was bragging about cutting up April’s body.

[...]

JUN 7, 2023
  • Marks’ testimony over April Pease focused on his custody battle with her over Adrian.
  • Marks did admit he sent April an email saying he’d kill her.
  • Marks said the email was taken out of context and was sent to convey humor.
JUN 8, 2023
  • Marks said he has colon cancer and is not taking medication because he’s ready to go.
  • Marks said he needs to be on death row so his sons don’t have to put their lives on hold.
  • Marks said he did not kill April and said Ginell McDonough lied in her testimony on this situation.
  • Marks asked for the death penalty from the jury. He said he deserves it for helping cover up the murders of Scott and Swearingin.
  • Garza accused Marks of killing missing Minnesota woman, April Pease, which Marks has been charged with second degree murder.
  • “Unfortunately, April Pease isn’t here to testify because she’s dead isn’t she,” said Garza.
  • Marks said he has nothing to do with April Pease’s disappearance.
JUN 9, 2023
  • After a week-long punishment phase, a jury has given Marks the death penalty.
  • Garza asked Marks where he buried April Pease, and Marks denied any involvement her disappearance.
  • "You told Jenna you killed more people," Garza said.

Last edited:
According to court records, Pease was reportedly abducted in 2009 from a women’s shelter in Bloomington. Her mother reported her missing, saying she was at a similar shelter in Washington after suffering abuse at the hands of Cedric Marks, whom she shared a 4-year-old son with.

Marks became a person of interest in Pease's case in 2019 after he was arrested in an unrelated murder case in Texas. The criminal complaint alleges two bodies were recovered from a shallow grave in Clearview, Oklahoma, one of which belonged to Mark’s ex-girlfriend, charges allege.

Bloomington police said in a post on X they believe Pease’s remains are in the Clearview area, and while several searches have been conducted, her remains have not yet been located.

The police department announced on Thursday it's offering a $2,000 reward for information that leads to her body.

Marks, of Belton, Texas, and Kellee Kristine Sorensen, of Lynden, Washington, were both charged in 2020 with second-degree murder in connection to Pease’s death. Sorenson allegedly told police she helped Marks find Pease at the shelter and helped with the abduction.

JUN 6, 2024
Kristine Sorensen of Lynden, Wash., 38, has a hearing scheduled in July to determine her mental capacity to participate in her defense.

Investigators found that Marks and Sorensen traveled to Minnesota in March 2009 and found Pease. Investigators say they then took Pease against her will and drove south on Interstate 35.

Marks then allegedly killed Pease while Sorensen sat in the vehicle.

Investigators have searched Clearview for Pease’s body, but it has not been found.

Authorities say Marks is on death row in Texas for the unrelated murder and Sorensen has been found incompetent for the murder of Pease. There is a warrant out for Marks in Hennepin County.

Well - I see the article says Sorensen has a hearing in July - I have searched Hennepin court site & the jail site - and she does not appear.
She was in Washington State - Whatcom County. But I no longer have access to the Washington State site to check & see if she is still there.
I would have thought that from 2020 she would be in MN already.
Here are my notes on her Washington case #
Washington: Whatcom County #20-1-00334-37 no update in MN as of 6/17/23/no update 9/23/23

2023 is the last time I checked this case out.

The Bloomington Police Department is offering a $2,000 reward for information that leads to the recovery of April Pease's remains. She went missing in March 2009.

Cedric Marks and Kellee Sorensen have been charged with her murder in Minnesota. Marks has ties to Clearview, Oklahoma.

Bloomington police believe Pease's remains could be in the Clearview area.

Any news on the DATE in July for Sorenson's mental capacity hearing? I am finding zilch...

I searched the Whatcom county court site - could not access that, but the jail site does not show her there. So searched Hennepin jail - nothing there either...

TIA if anyone can help!

Any news on the DATE in July for Sorenson's mental capacity hearing? I am finding zilch...

I searched the Whatcom county court site - could not access that, but the jail site does not show her there. So searched Hennepin jail - nothing there either...

TIA if anyone can help!
Zilch here as well. :( I searched for hearings in all of MN for the month of July. Nothing.

Your Search Criteria: Person Name
Last Name: SORENSON
First Name: KELLEE
Hearing Date From: 07/01/2024
Hearing Date To: 07/31/2024
Case Categories: All
Locations: All
Informational Message No hearings match your search. The hearing you are searching for may be unavailable in MCRO, or may not exist.

Zilch here as well. :( I searched for hearings in all of MN for the month of July. Nothing.

Your Search Criteria: Person Name
Last Name: SORENSON
First Name: KELLEE
Hearing Date From: 07/01/2024
Hearing Date To: 07/31/2024
Case Categories: All
Locations: All
Informational Message No hearings match your search. The hearing you are searching for may be unavailable in MCRO, or may not exist.

Did you try Sorensen - instead of son

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back