MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miscommunication or Misstatement? By whom?
Here's another. Mary Moriarty Rt this yesterday
After Daunte Wright's killing, criticism of
@kittythehare Thx for your post w link.
Per article, "On the afternoon of April 11, Brooklyn Center police officers pulled over Wright for driving with expired tabs....
"In the days after Wright's death, protesters hung air fresheners on a fence surrounding the police station. Wright phoned his mother right before he died and said he had been stopped for an air freshener dangling from his rearview mirror..."
If license tabs/tags were not expired at time of LE stop, seems that MSM and/or soc media would have sniffed that out by now. IDK, could be wrong. my2ct.

Per article, "On the afternoon of April 11, Brooklyn Center police officers pulled over Wright for driving with expired tabs....
"In the days after Wright's death, protesters hung air fresheners on a fence surrounding the police station. Wright phoned his mother right before he died and said he had been stopped for an air freshener dangling from his rearview mirror..."
If license tabs/tags were not expired at time of LE stop, seems that MSM and/or soc media would have sniffed that out by now. IDK, could be wrong. my2ct.
The sentence you cite is what his mother reported and she claimed that is what he told her.
There is no debate about the tags.
The substantive point in the article related to the post to which I responded is here
In 2020, 121 people were killed across the nation during traffic stops, accounting for about 10% of fatal police encounters, according to data collected by Mapping Police Violence, a group of researchers who record every death at the hands of law enforcement.

Proponents say these minor stops are an effective tool that alert police to more serious crimes. This is how a state trooper famously caught Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh — by stopping him for driving with no license tag.

But a growing body of research shows pretext stops don't do much to curb serious crime, said Maria Ponomarenko, a law professor at the University of Minnesota. "The overwhelming evidence is it doesn't work," Ponomarenko said. "Hit rates are incredibly low."
That is the context.
Article is dated April 17.

"Petty" Violation?
Brooklyn Center residents demand reform after Daunte Wright death | kare11.com "No more traffic stops for petty violations in the City of Brooklyn Center. No more using those petty violations in attempt to harass and look for other infractions," he said..."
sbm
Isn't that taking it a little too far? Why would anyone bother to buy current tabs for their car if you can't be pulled over and get a ticket for not having them? Running a stop sign is also a petty violation. So no one can get pulled over for that either?
@Apollo Thx for your post. You raise a good question.

@Tippy Lynn Thx for your post. Not directing this at you, just jumping off your post quoting Matt Branch, a Brooklyn Center resident.

Which traffic violations are petty?

Last edited:
Misstatement? By Whom?
The sentence you cite is what his mother reported and she claimed that is what he told her.
There is no debate about the tags...
@kittythehare sbm Thx for your response and repeating info about pretextual traffic stops.
Sorry I did not make my point clearer. Seems imo either Wright or his Mother made a misstatement about the reason for traffic stop. Imo that influences my assessment about credibility of other statements by the person(s) making them. my2ct.

Misstatement? By Whom?
@kittythehare sbm Thx for your response and repeating info about pretextual traffic stops.
Sorry I did not make my point clearer. Seems imo either Wright or his Mother made a misstatement about the reason for traffic stop. Imo that influences my assessment about credibility of other statements by the person(s) making them. my2ct.
Okay , we'll try it from here.
It's time to end traffic stops for minor equipment violations. "They net minor violations, target nonwhites, don't cut crime, research shows" Let's pass
@CedrickFrazier
and
@KellyForUs
's bill this session.
source
https://twitter.com/Jamiemlong/status/1383827686015987728?s=20

Isn't that taking it a little too far? Why would anyone bother to buy current tabs for their car if you can't be pulled over and get a ticket for not having them? Running a stop sign is also a petty violation. So no one can get pulled over for that either?

That won’t solve anything. Even if it passes in Brooklyn Center they’ll get pulled over in the next suburb.

jmo

That won’t solve anything. Even if it passes in Brooklyn Center they’ll get pulled over in the next suburb.

jmo
Hopefully they'll see what a bad idea it is and not pass it in Brooklyn Center. I read a list of what constitutes petty misdemeanors in Minnesota and they include; Failure to obey traffic control device, Passing parked emergency vehicle, Driving the wrong way on a one way, and Speeding in a school zone.
What a disaster waiting to happen if vehicles can't be pulled over for those infractions.

A black FB friend of mine who lives in Texas was pulled over too for having an air freshener dangling from his mirror. He was in his 40's with a wife and kids, never had so much as a speeding ticket, had served in the Marines and was nicely dressed. He did everything as instructed, but was manhandled to the ground and handcuffed. This also happened (minus the handcuffing) when he had a rear brake light not working which he was unaware of. These incidents happened over 15 yrs ago, so this kind of thing has been going on for a long time. Honestly, I think some white officers panic whenever they see a large black man.

This good man still sometimes posts news items where a white officer does something good in a black community to prove there are many wonderful ones
and to try to lower the anger and distrust his black FB friends have towards police.

I asked my friend who is an RCMP officer why American police would pull their guns on someone over a counterfeit bill or traffic stop. She said because they, unlike officers here in Canada, suspect everyone they approach may be armed. Having experience may actually make an officer more wary and skittish because, as she said, " You don't know all the crap and close calls they've had to put up with in their careers." I always try to understand both sides, but in Chauvin's case, I just can't cut him any slack.

Last edited:

i think these interactions should be limited mostly to being ticketed and not an excuse to toss the vehicle looking for something. in this case, i am not sure anything would have changed as they ran his warrants and he had one. i think the second officer touching him set him off.

if u dont pay your registration the price goes higher and higher and causes other problems financially nfor the driver, and there was supposedly a moratorium on stopping ppl for that purpose due to covid. and running a stop sign is actually dangerous because u can hit someone.

I asked ... why American police would pull their guns on someone over a ... traffic stop. She said because they, unlike officers here in Canada, suspect everyone they approach may be armed... I always try to understand both sides, but in Chauvin's case, I just can't cut him any slack.
@Kaley Smith sbm Thx for your post. A jury has now spoken on Chauvin and agrees w you, so my post does not address Chauvin case, as this thread is about Wright.

My earlier post noted Duante's Mother said he told her her was stopped for expired license tabs (or tags).
Seems imo either Wright or his Mother made a misstatement about the reason for traffic stop. That influences my assessment about credibility of other statements by the person(s) making them. Standing by that point. my2ct.

Hopefully they'll see what a bad idea it is and not pass it in Brooklyn Center. I read a list of what constitutes petty misdemeanors in Minnesota and they include; Failure to obey traffic control device, Passing parked emergency vehicle, Driving the wrong way on a one way, and Speeding in a school zone.
What a disaster waiting to happen if vehicles can't be pulled over for those infractions.

i dont agree with the ones that include increased risk like speeding etc. it should just be tail light out, air freshener on mirror or tabs for me. things that wont hurt others.

@Kaley Smith sbm Thx for your post. A jury has now spoken on Chauvin and agrees w you, so my post does not address Chauvin case, as this thread is about Wright.

My earlier post noted Duante's Mother said he told her her was stopped for expired license tabs (or tags).
Seems imo either Wright or his Mother made a misstatement about the reason for traffic stop. That influences my assessment about credibility of other statements by the person(s) making them. Standing by that point. my2ct.
Or the police made a misstatement to Duante. It is completely possible the police said they pulled him over for tags and you're not supposed to have stuff on your mirror. It is hard to know without being there.

Or the police made a misstatement to Duante. It is completely possible the police said they pulled him over for tags and you're not supposed to have stuff on your mirror. It is hard to know without being there.

agreed, im giving the benefit of the doubt and not discrediting someone over minutiae. that may be what he was told. we will never know.

Oh goodness, that doesn't make any logical sense to me. Just the ones you've listed have been known to cause accidents leading to deaths or severe injuries.

Have they even consulted with any accident safety experts or even possibly the CDC that keeps up with vehicle accidental deaths or federal government agencies who track vehicle accidents every year along with the vehicle violations?

Its mind boggling they want to put their citizens at risk.

So it will be okay if someone runs a red light or blows through a stop sign? What if they run a red light or stop sign because they are intoxicated with either alcohol or drugs? What if the officers sees them do this, and let's it go, but they've done so because they have committed a serious crime in that area?

So that means if all of this passes the officers will ignore all of it including if they see someone driving the wrong way on a one way street knowing innocent people have been killed?

As for aa having an airfreshner hanging from their mirror is downright silly to be pulled over. Millions of vehicles all over the nation have those, and this is the only state I've even heard of doing so.

Even now in my state anyone who has an expired tab on their vehicle tag is pulled over, and ticketed. Even during Covid they are easily obtained online. They have thirty days to show proof it's been paid.. if not the DMV will seize the tag., and its entered into the DMV data base for all police officers to see while on patrol. It's even worse if they are stopped driving also with expired insurance or license. Uninsured motorists everywhere in our nation cost billions of dollars every year. They are also the reason insurance is higher for even those who abide by the law. It would be interesting to know the stats on how many uninsured motorists caused vehicle accidents each year.

Imo, a traffic stop can result in protecting all of the public they serve. That's the very reason it's been done since the very beginning. I do realize that simple traffic stops have resulted in the shooting/murder of police officers. So some simple traffic stops can be a very dangerous time for the officers. We've seen several horrific cases just recently. Also over 60k police officers were assaulted/attacked last year in the line of duty per the FBI. Its logical to think many happened during traffic stops, imo.
Still officers know they are sworn to protect, and serve all in their communities.

I believe in reform, but this seems to be an extreme knee jerk reaction. I don't believe they could have thoroughly thought this through carefully for all of the citizens they serve.

Jmho

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is a (white) police officer in the US. He did many years in the military before becoming an officer and served several deployments. He and I often do not agree with police situations in the US, but I believe he is one of the good ones, really trying to protect and serve.

He watched the video and immediately said she should be charged with murder. You can see a bit in the video, their tazers have bright yellow. He said there is no way that an officer on the force for that long didn't have it out for that long and not realize it was her gun and not her tazer.

Just dropping this in here, I know what I think, but I really wanted to get the opinion of an actual police officer on this.

All JMO, ofc

Reason for Stop?
@darring21 Thx for your post. Agreeing w you - it's possible, LEO told Wright the stop related to the air freshener and I alluded to this in my earlier post:

"If license tabs/tags were not expired at time of LE stop, seems that MSM and/or soc media would have sniffed that out by now. IDK, could be wrong. my2ct."

Still I'm thinking if vehicle's tabs/tags were current, and if LE told Wright they were expired, the fact of non-expiration/non-violation would have surfaced by now but maybe not.

BTW, I have not searched LE-released body cam vids for any audio of LEO stating reason for stop. Anyone???

Last edited:
For anyone driving in MN w an item like air freshener, fuzzy dice, dream catcher, high school/college grad. tassel, baseball hat, sunglasses, scarf, lucky charm, amulet, fetish, sports mascot, healing crystal, veteran symbol, heart, etc.
if you have any lingering doubt about whether it's prohibited, here ya go.
2020 Minnesota Statutes. 169.71 WINDSHIELD. "Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions.
(a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than:

(i) sun visors;
(ii) rearview mirrors;..."

plus a few more exceptions like GPS & toll-pass.

Seems MN statute treats any of the above listed items like full these windshield sunshades, so a lawful reason for LE to stop a driver:
shopping

^ image from https://belusaweb.s3.amazonaws.com/product-images/colors/sun-shade-crsunshde-silver.jpg

Well I didn't know until someone told me that air fresheners can be used to hide drugs or to cover the smell of certain drugs. I'm quite naive when it comes to drugs.

@jjs

I did mention it last weekend to our grandson who is a police officer.

He said he wasnt going to Monday morning quarterback any case.

He said the DA over the case,and investigators have evidence in all cases that is not ever disclosed before trial.

He said there is more than likely other witnesses beyond the officers, and more video footage we haven't seen plus other evidence.

I'm not sure what he means by murder since this IS a homicide which includes different degrees.

Evidently the charging DA believes the evidence he has amassed shows this was an accidental shooting, I have no reason to question him.

She still will be tried in criminal court for the killing of Mr. Wright.

jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member