MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@jjs

I did mention it last weekend to our grandson who is a police officer.

He said he wasnt going to Monday morning quarterback any case.

He said the DA over the case,and investigators have evidence in all cases that is not ever disclosed before trial.

He said there is more than likely other witnesses beyond the officers, and more video footage we haven't seen plus other evidence.

I'm not sure what he means by murder since this IS a homicide which includes different degrees.

Evidently the charging DA believes the evidence he has amassed shows this was an accidental shooting, I have no reason to question him.

She still will be tried in criminal court for the killing of Mr. Wright.

jmho

I showed him the video when it was first released, and that was his opinion before she resigned or any charges were brought. And of course there are more videos and evidence, which will be interesting to see.

Thank you for posting this, I always like to see uninvolved officers' opinions on these situations.

Or the police made a misstatement to Duante. It is completely possible the police said they pulled him over for tags and you're not supposed to have stuff on your mirror. It is hard to know without being there.
@darring21 Yes, as I posted above, it's possible. I also said I have not searched LE-released body cam vids for any audio of LEO stating reason for stop.

It could be enlightening. Anyone???

@jjs
I did mention it last weekend to our grandson who is a police officer....
He said he wasnt going to Monday morning quarterback any case.
He said the DA over the case,and investigators have evidence in all cases that is not ever disclosed before trial.
He said there is more than likely other witnesses beyond the officers, and more video footage we haven't seen plus other evidence....
@oceanblueeyes sbm bbm Pls Feel tell your grandson he's got a lotta smarts.
I think I know where he got them. Or at least some of them. my2ct.

Here, Alabama, I'd say 1 in 5 cars have face masks hanging from the rearview mirror right now.

Also, years ago, I was pulled over for my license plate light being out. And I was a teenaged white girl on her way home from work. He used his flashlight to check all in the car and made me show him my drink - that I had between my legs. (No cup holders in my 79 280zx). I didn't have to get out of the car though.

The next night the same officer pulled me over for a tail light. And the night after for driving erratically - he had been following me for miles and I was freaking nervous.

My dad talked to someone at the police department and I wasn't pulled over again. But that was some scary stuff.

Last edited:
Our hearts are heavy over yet another shooting of a Black man, Daunte Wright, at the hands of police. It’s important to conduct a full and transparent investigation, but this is also a reminder of just how badly we need to reimagine policing and public safety in this country.
https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1381978744257122311?s=20

Daunte Wright to be eulogized at Minneapolis funeral

Hundreds of people turned out Wednesday at a Minneapolis church for the public viewing for 20-year-old Daunte Wright, a father of one shot by a police officer on April 11 during a traffic stop in the small city of Brooklyn Center.

Friends and family members wept as they stood before Wright’s open casket, which was blanketed with red roses. All who viewed the open casket on Wednesday saw the young man dressed in a jean jacket bedazzled with several red and green gem-like buttons on both sides of the lapels.

At least five other states — California, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Texas and Illinois — have such laws, but the total number is unclear. The National Conference of State Legislatures does not track such legislation. The American Civil Liberties Union, which has sharply criticized such traffic stops, was unsure how many states allow them.

Minnesota's law does not specifically mention air fresheners, but says a person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle with “any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield,” with certain exceptions, including sun visors, rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices.
Are air fresheners illegal in Minnesota? | weareiowa.com

Police say traffic stops for minor violations have helped them solve more serious crimes, including drug trafficking, illegal firearms possession and shootings. They often cite the case of Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, who was stopped by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper for driving without a license plate about 90 minutes after the 1995 explosion that killed 168 people and injured hundreds more.

Joe Gamaldi, a police sergeant in Houston who is the national vice president of the Fraternal Order of Police, said he would be “hard-pressed” to find a police officer he's worked with who has stopped a motorist simply for having air fresheners dangling from the rearview mirror. But he said traffic stops for minor violations can lead to police finding evidence of other crimes.

“There are times where we simply stop someone because they have a taillight out and then that leads to an investigation of drugs, guns — and that gun is about to be used in a drive-by shooting — and because we are able to stop that car, we are able to prevent that,” he said.

“If you don't want someone stopped for an air freshener or even a (motor vehicle) equipment issue, you need to go to your legislature and have the law changed,” he said.
Driving while Black: Iowa Supreme Court case shows officer targeted Black man in 2010 | weareiowa.com

Here, Alabama, I'd say 1 in 5 cars have face masks hanging from the rearview mirror right now.

Also, years ago, I was pulled over for my license plate light being out. And I was a teenaged white girl on her way home from work. He used his flashlight to check all in the car and made me show him my drink - that I had between my legs. (No cup holders in my 79 280zx). I didn't have to get out of the car though.

The next night the same officer pulled me over for a tail light. And the night after for driving erratically - he had been following me for miles and I was freaking nervous.

My dad talked to someone at the police department and I wasn't pulled over again. But that was some scary stuff.

that one was stalking you, what a creepo.

Minneapolis police stop and search a disproportionate rate of Black and East African drivers and their vehicles during routine traffic stops compared with other races.

The city is predominantly white, yet Black and East African drivers accounted for 78% of police searches that started as stops for moving or equipment violations from June 2019 through May 2020, according to Minneapolis police data. Whites made up 12% of searches during the same types of stops in that time frame.
Black drivers make up majority of Minneapolis police searches during routine traffic stops

Redacted sections in the training status letter include volunteer experience, financial history, driving record and criminal history among others. Brooklyn Center officials have not responded to questions about whether any materials, including commendations or discipline, were withheld.

he files released to The Associated Press on Monday include former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter's job application, letters of recognition, pay information and a training status letter with most sections blacked out. The AP requested the documents under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.

Training details scarce in file of officer who shot Daunte Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member