GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am getting concerned and hope we don't have a hold out (or more) . I think more likely just sorting out Man1 vs Man2.
Or it may be that their notes differ---like when the session was with Dr. Miller---and since the court won't clarify, they're left to deliberate that issue (and maybe more).

I can see why 12 people can't agree on a verdict. I can't even agree with myself on a verdict.

The biggest problem I have with the whole incident is that she shouldn't have shot anything, gun or taser, into that running vehicle with DW in the driver's seat in the first place. It's against policy and she had to have known that. Just one of the multiple mistakes she made and she alone is responsible for the end result. A man is dead. We all make mistakes---I get that---but she made multiple mistakes that resulted in his death.

The verdict in former officer Kim Potter's manslaughter trial will hinge on body camera footage, experts say
a4407339467ca9391cdf90c93f98b214

Former Brooklyn Center police Officer Kim Potter reacts after a traffic stop in which Daunte Wright was shot in this screen grab from police body camera video.

bfa85a043191e9fa84bf44012cc57a00

This composite of two police body camera and one dash cam screen grabs shows the events of the fatal traffic stop.

Dr. Ziv Cohen, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College, speculated that the case will be difficult for the jury to decide because the "fact pattern" of Potter's testimony supports both the prosecution's argument and the defense's argument.

"I think that it's clear from her testimony that she made a mistake, and that she didn't have any malevolent intention or behavior," Cohen said. "But unfortunately, making a mistake can qualify as culpable negligence or even as recklessness."

Last edited:
I don't understand why she had the right to use deadly force. He didn't threaten anyone, he didn't have a weapon, the large in stature Officer Luckey had a hold of him and the other officer had a hold of the gear shift. If they weren't forced to let go of him and the gear shift by Potter yelling ''taser taser taser'', not much chance he could have gone anywhere.

I don't understand why she had the right to use deadly force. He didn't threaten anyone, he didn't have a weapon, the large in stature Officer Luckey had a hold of him and the other officer had a hold of the gear shift. If they weren't forced to let go of him and the gear shift by Potter yelling ''taser taser taser'', not much chance he could have gone anywhere.

Is a taser considered deadly force? I still don't understand that part (legally or otherwise).

Is a taser considered deadly force? I still don't understand that part (legally or otherwise).

Tasers are not considered deadly force that is why they use them and use batons and use pepper spray, rubber bullets, tear gas, flash grenades etc...

But if used improperly, like using these methods on someone who is trying to drive, the situation can became lethal.

What Nonlethal Weapons Can Be Used by the Police?

Jury had two questions. Paraphrasing:

What happens if we can't reach a concensus? (Judge reread part of the jury instructions.)

And, they want to be able to handle her gun. (Judge ordered zip ties be removed so jury can remove from box.)

Jurors have two questions:
1. What do we do if we can't come to an agreement? The judge re-read her instructions about listening to other jurors and examining their own views and sent them back to work.

2. "Can the zip ties be removed from exhibit 199, Potter’s gun, so it can be held out of the evidence box?" They will unzip the gun so they can hold it.

Jurors have two questions:
1. What do we do if we can't come to an agreement? The judge re-read her instructions about listening to other jurors and examining their own views and sent them back to work.

2. "Can the zip ties be removed from exhibit 199, Potter’s gun, so it can be held out of the evidence box?" They will unzip the gun so they can hold it.
Well there you have it...very concerning if you think she should be guilty.

Tasers are not considered deadly force that is why they use them and use batons and use pepper spray, rubber bullets, tear gas, flash grenades etc...

But if used improperly, like using these methods on someone who is trying to drive, the situation can became lethal.

What Nonlethal Weapons Can Be Used by the Police?

Exactly.

I’ve rewatched the body cams.
No one was in danger until KP inserted herself (which started the danger clock).
Even the deployed taser could have caused a plethora of injury or death.
KP was both over reacting and negligent IMO.

The jurors asked if they could remove zip ties keeping former Potter’s gun in an evidence box so they could hold it, and the judge said they could.

Chu read the one question from the jury: “If the jury cannot reach consensus, what is the guidance around how long and what steps should be taken?”

She then reread jurors their instructions, which included an instruction to continue to “discuss the case with one another and deliberate with a view toward reaching agreement if you can do so without violating your individual judgment.”

Potter’s attorneys objected both to the judge rereading the jury instruction and to allowing jurors to hold the gun. They argued that rereading the jury instruction inappropriately emphasized that paragraph over the rest of the instructions. Chu overruled both objections.

The judge has ordered that the jury be sequestered during deliberations — meaning they remain under the court’s supervision in an undisclosed hotel and cannot return to their homes until they have reached a verdict or the judge has determined they can’t reach one. Her order allows them to communicate with family members as long as they avoid discussing the trial.

Kim Potter Trial: Live Updates on Jury Deliberations | AP News

The jurors asked if they could remove zip ties keeping former Potter’s gun in an evidence box so they could hold it, and the judge said they could.

Chu read the one question from the jury: “If the jury cannot reach consensus, what is the guidance around how long and what steps should be taken?”

She then reread jurors their instructions, which included an instruction to continue to “discuss the case with one another and deliberate with a view toward reaching agreement if you can do so without violating your individual judgment.”

Potter’s attorneys objected both to the judge rereading the jury instruction and to allowing jurors to hold the gun. They argued that rereading the jury instruction inappropriately emphasized that paragraph over the rest of the instructions. Chu overruled both objections.

The judge has ordered that the jury be sequestered during deliberations — meaning they remain under the court’s supervision in an undisclosed hotel and cannot return to their homes until they have reached a verdict or the judge has determined they can’t reach one. Her order allows them to communicate with family members as long as they avoid discussing the trial.

Defense objects to the jurors holding the gun??? Wow.

Deliberations will continue Wednesday.

Jurors weighing the case of the suburban Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed Black motorist Daunte Wright asked the judge after a full day of deliberations Tuesday what they should do if they can’t reach a verdict.

Judge Regina Chu told them to continue working, as was explained in the initial instructions she gave them. The jurors resumed deliberations for about 90 more minutes, then ended for the day shortly after 6 p.m. The jury also deliberated for about five hours on Monday.

Exactly.

I’ve rewatched the body cams.
No one was in danger until KP inserted herself (which started the danger clock).
Even the deployed taser could have caused a plethora of injury or death.
KP was both over reacting and negligent IMO.

Do you think the supervising officer was lying when he said he felt he was in danger of great bodily injury or death, when he was halfway in the passenger side?

I don't know why there is a discussion about paid vs unpaid expert witnesses. Can you let me know what the concern is? I don't think I have ever called or even listed (if not called) an expert witness that was not paid. These people are professionals, and it is how they earn a living.

I think the discussion was that the defense expert did not want to be paid, more than the other expert being paid.

Do you think the supervising officer was lying when he said he felt he was in danger of great bodily injury or death, when he was halfway in the passenger side?
I don't remember him saying that. So I watched his testimony again--direct, cross and redirect. Can you point out where in his testimony he says that? I did not hear him say that second time around either.

ETA: I watched day 3 when he was a witness for the prosecution

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezinu