GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think that prison is appropriate. I do think that it is time for her to retire.
Though her obvious remorse and the totality of circumstances can be a factor in regards to her sentence, I think some prison is appropriate and needed.

At the end of the day, the defendant was not say, hired as a flight attendant- then tossed a technical maintenance manual and told to trouble shoot a plane's auto pilot.

Rather, she choose to be a police officer, was functioning as a police officer and had received sufficient training to distinguish between a taser and a fire arm (was even a training officer herself).

Likewise, she was performing a duty that was well with in her training level and experience level. She was not say, suddenly ordered to join a Swat team with no Swat training or experience that was attempting to rescue hostages from a barricaded suspect.

For me, the totality of having sufficient training for the job and also performing a duty with in her experience level holds her to a higher level of responsibility. I would find her guilty, then factor the totality of the circumstances towards how long a sentence should be.

Boy the closings were interesting. I thought State was excellent...well thought out and methodical. Easy to follow. Then came Mr. Gray....I thought he was just awful...all over the place in thoughts...yelling at the jury..pacing back and forth and just so angry. I think the jury may have it pretty easy....guilty. I expect a verdict tomorrow...could be early. I think Mr. Gray really failed KP.

Boy the closings were interesting. I thought State was excellent...well thought out and methodical. Easy to follow. Then came Mr. Gray....I thought he was just awful...all over the place in thoughts...yelling at the jury..pacing back and forth and just so angry. I think the jury may have it pretty easy....guilty. I expect a verdict tomorrow...could be early. I think Mr. Gray really failed KP.
I thought the same thing.

As if his presentation wasn't bad enough, I kept waiting for his voice to give out. He was very uncomfortable to listen to.

I'm going to disagree about the verdict though. I'll go with a hung jury.

It seems like most TV talking heads think Man 2 is the right verdict. I tend to agree...but absolutely hung is possible...I remember the one juror who had aspirations to be on the police force...did the explorers etc. and then decided against it because he did not want to have to use his weapon.....he might have a problem holding her accountable. I think if we have one or more holdouts we will know soon otherwise expect a verdict today.

I haven't watched most of the trial.. trying to review some of it.. just wondering.. I'm watching 'Lucky's' testimony.. he says he called for 'another vehicle'.. seems as 'backup', as far as I understand it?? Just wondering why he would've felt he'd need backup for a simple traffic stop?? Is that usual?

ETA: This was at the point before he knew DW's outstanding arrest warrant, and other charges, etc. At that point he only knew the guy had expired plates, couldn't produce a license or insurance, the vehicle smelled like weed and he saw some signs of weed, etc.

Last edited:
I haven't watched most of the trial.. trying to review some of it.. just wondering.. I'm watching 'Lucky's' testimony.. he says he called for 'another vehicle'.. seems as 'backup', as far as I understand it?? Just wondering why he would've felt he'd need backup for a simple traffic stop?? Is that usual?

ETA: This was at the point before he knew DW's outstanding arrest warrant, and other charges, etc. At that point he only knew the guy had expired plates, couldn't produce a license or insurance, the vehicle smelled like weed and he saw some signs of weed, etc.
I believe KP said calling for backup was protocol Bc she and the trainee were considered “one” officer and he was supposed to behave as if it was just him on a call/stop. I can’t remember exactly how she worded it during her testimony, but it made sense why backup was called when they were called (i.e: that was how it was supposed to happen per protocol).

I also think the climate in the community at that time was super TENSE with officers often not stopping cars at all in fear of being accused of "profiling". It was and is a big problem...back up seemed like a good idea I imagine given everything going on.

Jury has asked a question
( Apologies if already posted)
- What was the date of KP’s interview
with Dr Miller ? -
The judge read this question in court.
Judge said you have all the evidence back there with you, your notes and your recollection…nothing further can be provided.

heard this on court tv this am
JMO

Jury has asked a question
( Apologies if already posted)
- What was the date of KP’s interview
with Dr Miller ? -
The judge read this question in court.
Judge said you have all the evidence back there with you, your notes and your recollection…nothing further can be provided.

heard this on court tv this am
JMO
I went to the youtube where the prosecution started asking Dr. Miller about having interviewed KP.. I figured that was when they would say the date of when the interview occurred.. the question was objected to.. and when it came back, the question wasn't asked as to when. Is there some secret about when this occurred? On my screen, it's at 1:15

Also, when there is an objection, why do they mute the mics? Isn't the jury still in the room to hear the argument about why an objection should be sustained or overruled?

Interesting that the officer wasn't charged in that case but instead it was the City of Madera.

Can the city also be sued in this (Kim Potter) case?
The City of Madera was sued in civil court. I believe the Wright family is bringing a suit against the City as well.
The prosecutors in the Torres case did not charge that officer criminally.

I went to the youtube where the prosecution started asking Dr. Miller about having interviewed KP.. I figured that was when they would say the date of when the interview occurred.. the question was objected to.. and when it came back, the question wasn't asked as to when. Is there some secret about when this occurred? On my screen, it's at 1:15

Also, when there is an objection, why do they mute the mics? Isn't the jury still in the room to hear the argument about why an objection should be sustained or overruled?
On CTV commentary re: the jury’s question…
Most seem to conclude the reason for the question is to find out if defense built their strategy post her Dr Miller interview. IMO the -use of force - theory was an after thought by defense.
IOW , it’s okay if she shot him with the gun because the victim caused her to -apply force- and if she had purposely pulled and fired the gun ( instead of taser) it was justified.
Justified use of force.

Insulting. The entire defense IMO.
Calling Daunte “The driver” . I’m sure the jury caught it all.
She will probably get 10 years like Amber Guyger. I don’t see KP walking.

MOO

Last edited:
Though her obvious remorse and the totality of circumstances can be a factor in regards to her sentence, I think some prison is appropriate and needed.

At the end of the day, the defendant was not say, hired as a flight attendant- then tossed a technical maintenance manual and told to trouble shoot a plane's auto pilot.

Rather, she choose to be a police officer, was functioning as a police officer and had received sufficient training to distinguish between a taser and a fire arm (was even a training officer herself).

Likewise, she was performing a duty that was well with in her training level and experience level. She was not say, suddenly ordered to join a Swat team with no Swat training or experience that was attempting to rescue hostages from a barricaded suspect.

For me, the totality of having sufficient training for the job and also performing a duty with in her experience level holds her to a higher level of responsibility. I would find her guilty, then factor the totality of the circumstances towards how long a sentence should be.
Excellent post!

Interesting (imo)

Several lawyers following the trial told USA TODAY the case hinges on how jurors understand whether Potter acted "consciously." The charges do not require prosecutors to prove that Potter, who is white, intended to kill the 20-year-old Black motorist.

"It boils down to — how does the jury apply that consciousness element in both of these charges," said Rachel Moran, an associate law professor at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota. "There’s probably going to be disagreement among those 12 people about what it means in this particular case."

Kim Potter trial jury debates manslaughter charges: What it means

No problem. I actually went back to edit my post to include links but was too late.
I hope this is enough info.

Ijames:

Ijames, who testified that he is not being paid to review the case, said that he has decades of law enforcement experience after graduating from the FBI training academy. He’s worked as a patrol officer, detective and an assistant police chief. He also said that he just underwent open-heart surgery last week.

Kim Potter Trial, Dec. 16 Live Updates: Former BCPD Chief Saw 'No Violation' Of Policy When Reviewing Body Cam Video

Stougher:

Then, Gray highlights that Stoughton is paid $295 an hour for his work as an expert witness, and has billed the prosecution about $10,000 so far.

Kim Potter Trial, Dec. 15: Daunte Wright's Father Testifies, 'I Miss Him A Lot'

Miller:

She then brought up what Potter had previously told Laurence Miller, a psychologist and witness paid $30,000 by Potter's defense team as a consultant, who had interviewed Potter about the shooting.

Ex-officer Kim Potter cries on witness stand during manslaughter trial
Thanks so much @fred&edna for providing all this. I admit to having an unusual curiosity about paid-expert-witnesses. Appreciate you digging up these links.

Thanks so much @fred&edna for providing all this. I admit to having an unusual curiosity about paid-expert-witnesses. Appreciate you digging up these links.

I have the same curiosity regarding paid experts on the witness stand. And, honestly... I don't always trust my memory so I try to refer to links for my own confirmation. No worries ;)

I was the one that started comparing the paid vs non paid experts and got the names wrong etc. But my point was I think calling out a guy because he is being paid is really pointless...and I question why anyone is up there not getting paid. So often a witness is shamed for doing his job and getting paid and that does not hold much credibility with me.

I don't know why there is a discussion about paid vs unpaid expert witnesses. Can you let me know what the concern is? I don't think I have ever called or even listed (if not called) an expert witness that was not paid. These people are professionals, and it is how they earn a living.

I am getting concerned and hope we don't have a hold out (or more) . I think more likely just sorting out Man1 vs Man2.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsHansford24
Back