GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This new body cam ….
Officer Luckey IMO was ready to cut Daunte some slack . He even said back in his patrol car something like - I think he’s telling the truth.
IMO KP should of not said
-there’s a warrant out for you-
until officer Luckey had Daunte cuffed.
I guess KP was in higher “training mode”
could of dialed it back …
cause look what SHE DID.

MOO

This new body cam ….
Officer Lucky IMO was ready to cut Daunte some slack . He even said back in his patrol car something like - I think he’s telling the truth.
IMO KP should of not said
-there’s a warrant out for you-
until officer Lucky had Daunte cuffed.
I guess KP was in higher “training mode”
could of dialed it back …
cause look what SHE DID.

MOO

I'm wrong more than not, but I think officers must tell you are under arrest prior to handcuffing a person. I've seen many cases here and locally, once they say you are under arrest...BAM the person resist.
Moo...

I believe the defendant has remorse. I think she has since the moment she realized her fatal error. but I also believe she is guilty as charged.

Paul Engh, the defense attorney, said, “Police officers are human beings.”

agreed. Just like non police officers. Just like any regular citizen. And yet, just like any regular citizen whose mistake involves a deadly weapon and is the direct cause of someone else's death, they should be held accountable. If anything, I hold KP to a higher standard. She had a much higher level of training in her role as LEO.

Daunte was also, at the end of the day, just a human being. DW was no saint, no hero. KP lived to regret her mistake. Daunte no longer can. two flawed human beings.

This case just makes me sad all around. MOO IMO

I had forgotten what she was charged with. Here’s a reminder for anyone else needing it.

What is ex-officer Kim Potter charged with in Daunte Wright's death?

The charges

First-degree manslaughter in this case means prosecutors allege that Potter caused Wright's death while committing a misdemeanor — the "reckless handling or use of a firearm so as to endanger the safety of another with such force and violence that death or great bodily harm to any person was reasonably foreseeable."

The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges that she caused his death "by her culpable negligence," meaning that Potter "caused an unreasonable risk and consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm" to Wright, while using or possessing a firearm.

Neither charge requires prosecutors to prove Potter intended to kill Wright.

I was just listening to some legal talk elsewhere which suggested the prosecution intends to pursue Blakely factors if Potter is found guilty. They based this on the fact the prosecution offered a great deal of (cumulative) testimony/evidence regarding the car crashes that were caused after Wright was shot. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense from a legal standpoint.
For anyone else (like me) who didn't know about Blakely factors...

Prosecutors will sometimes refer to “Blakely factors" or a “Blakely motion" in a criminal case. This means they intend to pursue a sentence longer than what the state law suggests.

Sentencing Guidelines Under Blakely v. Washington.

I was just listening to some legal talk elsewhere which suggested the prosecution intends to pursue Blakely factors if Potter is found guilty. They based this on the fact the prosecution offered a great deal of (cumulative) testimony/evidence regarding the car crashes that were caused after Wright was shot. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense from a legal standpoint.
For anyone else (like me) who didn't know about Blakely factors...

Prosecutors will sometimes refer to “Blakely factors" or a “Blakely motion" in a criminal case. This means they intend to pursue a sentence longer than what the state law suggests.

Sentencing Guidelines Under Blakely v. Washington.
I don't see that happening. It would be very foolish for the prosecution to do so.

I don't see that happening. It would be very foolish for the prosecution to do so.

Oh... I thought that's why the after-effects of the shooting were covered so thoroughly yesterday. Obviously, didn't realize that would be foolish... lol! Thank you for your legal input! I love learning the why's and why not's :)

Kim Potter trial: Patrol officer testifies over Daunte Wright death

A stream of police officers and emergency medical workers followed her to the stand for much of the day, eventually prompting Potter attorney Paul Engh to seek a mistrial on the grounds that the state was presenting evidence irrelevant to her guilt or innocence, and instead was showing evidence consisting of “sordid pictures and prejudicial impact.”

Prosecutor Matthew Frank pointed out that the state is seeking an aggravated sentence for Potter if she’s convicted, and to do so must show the wider impact of her actions. Judge Regina Chu quickly dismissed the motion, though she did tell prosecutors to avoid showing the jury duplicate autopsy pictures.

bbm

Kim Potter's ex-supervisor says he would've been 'probably dragged' and hurt if Daunte Wright had successfully fled the fatal traffic stop

upload_2021-12-10_20-42-51.pngMychal Johnson, former patrol sergeant at the Brooklyn Center Police Department, testifies in the trial of former Officer Kim Potter.

Potter's defense said in opening statements that she tried to tase Wright because he was putting Johnson's life in danger.

"She can't let him leave because he's going to kill her partner," defense attorney Paul Engh had told the jury on Wednesday.

On Friday, defense attorney Earl Gray asked Johnson what would have happened to him if Wright had successfully "taken off with you in that car halfway."

"Probably dragged," Johnson responded.

"Dragged and what?" Gray asked, to which Johnson responded, "injured."

Gray then asked Johnson if he thought that he might have died if Wright had successfully driven the car away. Johnson said, "yes."

Oh... I thought that's why the after-effects of the shooting were covered so thoroughly yesterday. Obviously, didn't realize that would be foolish... lol! Thank you for your legal input! I love learning the why's and why not's :)

You are correct about the Blakely thing. I heard the prosecutor say so. Also heard court tv discuss it. It seems the state just wants to hammer this woman for making a terrible mistake. I don't get it. I hope she will not have to go to prison, after spending a quarter century in service to her community. imo

You are correct about the Blakely thing. I heard the prosecutor say so. Also heard court tv discuss it. It seems the state just wants to hammer this woman for making a terrible mistake. I don't get it. I hope she will not have to go to prison, after spending a quarter century in service to her community. imo
I see that now also. That just makes no sense to me. I think she is pretty heavily charged as is, so to also seek enhancement is just over-kill in my opinion. But this being handled by the AG's office I believe and not the local DA's office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back