GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You are correct about the Blakely thing. I heard the prosecutor say so. Also heard court tv discuss it. It seems the state just wants to hammer this woman for making a terrible mistake. I don't get it. I hope she will not have to go to prison, after spending a quarter century in service to her community. imo
So you don't want a woman who killed a man to go to prison?Daunte Wright is the victim in this case.Being a cop is not an excuse to get away with a person's death JMO

I watched the testimony today about the taser vs a gun. While I fully believe this wasn't intentional, I just don't understand how she could make such a terrible mistake. The only thing the same about the weapons is that you pull a trigger to discharge them. Other than that? Nothing. Not the color, not the weight, not the side of the body they were kept, one has a light beam---the other does not, the length of the handle is different, the texture of the handle is different, the body shapes are different, the holster releases are different.

<modsnip> I personally still believe she made a grave error. I think the general public have no idea what it is like to be a police officer. Yes, I do think there are bad LE out there, some that abuse power, some that do profile; but a whole lot of really good men and women that just want to make a difference in good ways.

However, I think it is difficult to say with any certainty that if we were put in the position of a high stress situation where we do not know what the intentions of a criminal are, how would we react. She made a rash decision in seconds. She "should have" known that it wasn't her taser, but was a gun. She "should have" allowed him to run; but, they are taught, they are trained to not allow a suspect to flee. He should not have died, but I still don't believe that was her intent. He should not have fled LE previously, but he did. He should not have had other charges against him previously, but he did.

We are at a crossroads where the public is now distrustful of LEO and LEO is distrustful of the public that they have been hired to protect. I would honestly hate to see a world where we didn't have law and order - without police officers. I think they need more training and things need to change. The world has changed dramatically socially from where we used to be, but I doubt officer training has changed dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do feel safe with LE. Now if I committed a criminal act, I would fearful of going to jail and LE is sure to arrest me, if pulled over.

I do feel those committing crime are in the segment that fear any encounter with LE that would result in incarceration. More training on how to successfully complete an arrest with a person choosing to flee?

I found it odd this LED wears a tazer on the right, never heard of this. I've paid close attention to LE in my area over the last week. Our City Police, County Sheriffs Dept and the Virginia State Police wear gun on the right, tazer on left.

I ask my County Deputy neighbour what he thought. He said, if he had to wear a tazer as his main weapon on the right, he'd find a new job.

Moo....

Testimony shows, tazer (main weapon) on right, gun (secondary weapon) left.

So why was she never council, written up and terminated. To allow an employee to work for years violating policy , demonstrates it was a NON issue. Now everybody and anybody sate she went against policy. I call foul play, on management.

Moo....

Moo....

Testimony shows, tazer (main weapon) on right, gun (secondary weapon) left.

So why was she never council, written up and terminated. To allow an employee to work for years violating policy , demonstrates it was a NON issue. Now everybody and anybody sate she went against policy. I call foul play, on management.

Moo....

Moo....

I'm not sure where you're getting that she wore her taser on her right side.

The testimony today shows she wore her taser on her left side, not her right side---including on April 11th, the day of the shooting.

Starting at the 3:00 mark, the prosecutor shows 5 different images on 5 different dates of her wearing her taser on her left side.

I have been reading posts and internet, trying to catch up. Jury is deliberating ?

You would have to quantify the circumstances. Is the LE encounter a person with no criminal intent, charges or a person with out standing warrant or committed a robbery or murder.

When I attend a school/public event and the LE parents have weapons. I do feel safer.

My level of fear for a traffic stop, for running a stop sign and the tickets gonna cost me 300.00, might be a ticked off 3.

My level of fear if I ran over an killed a child would be a 10. I would know, I would be charged and arrested for murder or vehicular manslaughter.

Incarceration IMO, is at the root cause for fear of LE.

Moo...

my 20 year old son gets pulled over alll the time... ALL the time.... for made up reason. "you dont have your front plates on" when cop was never in front of him. "your vehicle matches a robbery call"... he even had a cop pull him over and accuse him of being a pimp because he and his gf had gone dancing the evening before and she left her heels in the car. he has come to the point where he replies to all police encounters with "i dont answer questions". he isnt doing anything wrong, hes just brown. his older 23 year old brother is white passing and drives horribly, has been pulled over only a few times and is either warned or cited for truly bad driving. my story is anecdotal but its wide spread by all reports.

She would of done the family,the public, herself a better service to
immediately plead guilty and take a punishment.
Rather than drag the victim of her mistake through all of this.
Not to even address the fact she could of killed the passenger or other officer....

MOO

She would of done the family,the public, herself a better service to
immediately plead guilty and take a punishment.
Rather than drag the victim of her mistake through all of this.
Not to even address the fact she could of killed the passenger or other officer....

MOO

Do you think every doctor or nurse who makes a deadly mistake (and many mistakes are made) should go to prison?

<modsnip: victim blaming>

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Minneapolis and have been watching this trial since jury selection. While I think she should be accountable in some way for this terrible mistake I think she will end up walking. The burden of proof is on the state and I don't think they have done a good job of that at all Also they overcharged and with no lessers to consider the jury will not go with Man1 or Man2. The State's last "spark of life" witness was Duante's father and it was very short and frankly not as emotional as I expected. Word around here is Kim Potter will be an excellent witness as she is very articulate and likeable and of course is truly remorseful. I get why people want a different outcome here but I just don't see the State prevailing in this case.

I live in Minneapolis and have been watching this trial since jury selection. While I think she should be accountable in some way for this terrible mistake I think she will end up walking. The burden of proof is on the state and I don't think they have done a good job of that at all Also they overcharged and with no lessers to consider the jury will not go with Man1 or Man2. The State's last "spark of life" witness was Duante's father and it was very short and frankly not as emotional as I expected. Word around here is Kim Potter will be an excellent witness as she is very articulate and likeable and of course is truly remorseful. I get why people want a different outcome here but I just don't see the State prevailing in this case.

I don't understand why DW's father was called to testify. I understand why his testimony would be relevant in the sentencing phase if she's found guilty as impact testimony, but I don't know why he was called as a witness in the guilt phase. He wasn't there.

Tomorrow should be interesting---especially if KP takes the stand.

(I really like this no nonsense Judge and her captivating voice)

I don't understand why DW's father was called to testify. I understand why his testimony would be relevant in the sentencing phase if she's found guilty as impact testimony, but I don't know why he was called as a witness in the guilt phase. He wasn't there.

Tomorrow should be interesting---especially if KP takes the stand.

(I really like this no nonsense Judge and her captivating voice)
It is referred to as "spark of life" testimony and as I recall was discussed and okayed by judge. It is common in trials like this...but in this case the father at least in my opinion did not evoke as much sympathy as he should have. It was so weak that I think the State chose not to just close last night. I doubt they have more witnesses but I guess wanted to wait until today in case that magic witness come out of the blue over nightnight?

CTV referred to the father’s testimony as “bookending” the prosecution case.
Mother at beginning, girlfriend center , father at the end. During the father’s testimony they showed Daunte’s photo with his child.
I felt it was important for the father to speak about father-son relationships in the Wright family. Daunte’s child will be affected.
Just my take away.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE