GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think this is a very valid comparison. Let’s say a nurse comes in to administer a medication, is in a rush because there are many patients needing help, and accidentally gives the wrong drug. The patient dies. The nurse didn’t mean to give the wrong medicine. If the nurse had checked carefully, it would’ve been obvious it was the wrong medicine. This happens all the time, yet the nurse isn’t charged with a criminal act. I’m not sure how this is all that different. If anything, a police officer using a taser by mistake is more understandable because there’s a level of safety concern for the officer that’s not present with the nurse.

Mistakes happen. If we expect officers to be held to a standard of never making a mistake or spending the rest of their life in prison, good luck finding good men and women to protect us as a society.

Oddly, IMO, it seems the ones who expect zero mistakes from police are the ones who scream the loudest when there aren’t an officers coming to their rescue.

I wouldn’t give her prison time at all. If prison is where she belongs, it’s where nurses and doctors belong for every fatal mistake they make as well.

I find this comparison very interesting and intriguing. I can see how some of the premise and framework is pretty similar - a trained professional who may have been (or very likely has been) taught differently during their training, makes an action that causes severe bodily harm or death to someone, etc.
It’s very interesting- I really value the other opinions on here.

WEll UP to today was thinking she would walk. Media locally has been quite sure KP would be a great witness..very likeable and well spoken. I am not finding that at all...the direct glossed over so much and now the cross is getting at many things that make Potter look bad. To a point she is sympathetic but not as much as I expected and comes across as arrogant and angry. She is not doing herself any favors.

She should of said Daunte’s name not “the driver “ and that she was “ sorry” her very beginning testimony with her lawyer.
I get the feeling her lawyer has given her some -not favorable to her advise- how to act , how to answer.
JMO cause under the end of prosecutor cross .. she looks -sounds humble, sincere, in the moment Like I had hoped.
I do not like her lawyer.
Really sad for her.
I do feel her remorse NOW.

MOO

Last edited:
WEll UP to today was thinking she would walk. Media locally has been quite sure KP would be a great witness..very likeable and well spoken. I am not finding that at all...the direct glossed over so much and now the cross is getting at many things that make Potter look bad. To a point she is sympathetic but not as much as I expected and comes across as arrogant and angry. She is not doing herself any favors.
I totally agree with your post. I was expecting her to be an excellent witness. She seemed to want to challenge, unnecessarily, the prosecuting attorney on minor points and be argumentative. She also seemed to change her demeanor drastically when answering questions from the prosecution as compared to questions from the defense. I hate to say it but I had less sympathy for her after her testimony.

She should of said Daunte’s name not “the driver “ and that she was “ sorry” her very beginning testimony with her lawyer.
I get the feeling her lawyer has given her some -not favorable to her advise- how to act , how to answer.
JMO cause under the end of prosecutor cross .. she looks -sounds humble, sincere, in the moment Like I had hoped.
I do not like her lawyer.
Really sad for her.
I do feel her remorse NOW.

MOO
Her lawyer, imho, seems to really suck.

I'd have to agree with many of your points.

However, I don't know how I'd come across in her position. I question the overall prosecution of this case.

I find this comparison very interesting and intriguing. I can see how some of the premise and framework is pretty similar - a trained professional who may have been (or very likely has been) taught differently during their training, makes an action that causes severe bodily harm or death to someone, etc.
It’s very interesting- I really value the other opinions on here.
Here's the big difference that comes to mind. The relationship between a doctor/nurse and a patient is much different than the relationship between a suspect and a police officer. The relationship between a health care provider and a patient is amicable. They 'like' each other. The police and a suspect, generally speaking, do not 'like' each other. When a doctor/nurse is interacting with a patient, it's for the purpose of helping them and the patient is grateful for the help. The police arrest suspects (also known as the bad guys) and suspects do not 'like' the police.

I'd have to agree with many of your points.

However, I don't know how I'd come across in her position. I question the overall prosecution of this case.
I would think after a police officer shoots someone and they're a 'mess' about it.. the last thing they'd want/allow that officer to be doing, is going to check up the road on the victim(s)?? Seems unreasonable to me to have expected her to do that, so why make it into a big point to go against her as far as the prosecution is concerned? She never asked if her fellow officers were ok because obviously they weren't shot, the victim was shot. SHE was a mess, not them.

I would think after a police officer shoots someone and they're a 'mess' about it.. the last thing they'd want/allow that officer to be doing, is going to check up the road on the victim(s)?? Seems unreasonable to me to have expected her to do that, so why make it into a big point to go against her as far as the prosecution is concerned? She never asked if her fellow officers were ok because obviously they weren't shot, the victim was shot. SHE was a mess, not them.
She was in better shape than Daunte Wright the actual victim in this case.

I think a major contributing factor was not taking Mr Wright to the back of the car to arrest him. If that had happened, the entire situation could have been avoided. But, the arresting officer was a trainee and wasn't corrected mid-arrest.

Sounds like this is a lack of correct training ?
I don't think training had anything to do with it. She's had 26 years of ongoing training. I think she simply made a mistake.

OH I agree, I believe she make a mistake, I believe she is very sorry for what happened. At the time I wrote my post the questions and answers seemed to imply there were some certain training that was not done.

Of course, but what is your point? She made a terrible mistake, she was in agony about what she'd done. If she'd started walking up the road to him, I'm pretty sure her supervisor would've stopped her and told her to just sit.
Maybe it's just me but if I had wrongly shot another human being I would at least try to see if he could be helped even if they had pulled me back.

It's almost like her defence attorney didn't even review the evidence with her ahead of time. I thought it was generally said that a lawyer knows the answer before he asks the question, but in this case, it seems her lawyer keeps surprising himself with her answers.. because it's like it's the first time they talked about what he'd be asking. imo.

Here's the big difference that comes to mind. The relationship between a doctor/nurse and a patient is much different than the relationship between a suspect and a police officer. The relationship between a health care provider and a patient is amicable. They 'like' each other. The police and a suspect, generally speaking, do not 'like' each other. When a doctor/nurse is interacting with a patient, it's for the purpose of helping them and the patient is grateful for the help. The police arrest suspects (also known as the bad guys) and suspects do not 'like' the police.
I’m not sure what this has to do with how we treat a professional who makes a grave error that costs someone their life. The fact that the nurse likes me and is trying to help me doesn’t make me any less dead if I’m given the wrong medication because of their mistake.

Maybe it's just me but if I had wrongly shot another human being I would at least try to see if he could be helped even if they had pulled me back.

Same here and even as we see it as making a mistake, her not guilty plea says that she thinks she isn’t liable for the mistake. That flys in the face of justice when we so often see LE themselves demand that common citizens own and pay for their mistakes. It just seems like a different standard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake
Back