GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Probably the most common set of circumstances that will result in a First Degree Manslaughter charge is what’s known as the “heat of passion” killing. This occurs when one person causes the death of another when their actions were provoked by words or acts of another that caused the actor to essentially lose control.

A familiar example of this situation: a person comes home to find his/her spouse in bed with another and irrationally attacks the spouse or the spouse’s lover and the attack results in death.

In this situation, it is unlikely that there was any sort of premeditation or planning by the attacking thought; rather, the act of catching a spouse in bed with a stranger caused a momentary loss of self-control that ended in death.

Other Situations That Can Result in a Charge of First Degree Manslaughter

• committing misdemeanor assault with exceptional force and violence that resulted in the death of another;
  • intentionally causing the death of another while acting under the duress of threats made by another to the actor that reasonably caused the actor to fear imminent bodily harm or death of another;
  • selling a controlled substance, the use of which causes death; or,
  • causing the death of a child while engaged in the malicious punishment of that child.
https://arechigo-stokka.com/blog/minnesota-first-degree-manslaughter/

It doesn't really sound like the above fits for this defendant. imo.
-----
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

To me, it doesn't sound like 2nd degree manslaughter fits either? imo.

Is there another charge that would be appropriate?

ETA: Sorry, I made a major typo above.. I have corrected it to say 'doesn't sound like, rather than 'does'

Last edited:
answers like "i suppose" and "i guess" ..I can't imagine that played well with the jury. Also one thing that was not hit much by either side is the change in the taser which apparently was a new taser for her and she had it about a month. The new one is black while the previous one was yellow. I would think that point could make some difference even though she was trained. Also their is something that has to be disengaged so give more time to think. While I do not think she meant to kill him that was an extraordinary mistake.

I haven't followed this case closely so this may have changed, but a prosecution witness testified her Taser was yellow.

"The Taser is yellow; the firearm is black," McGinnis said during questioning by the prosecution. "The Taser has a stocky body to it compared to the Glock handgun. The grip of the Taser is shorter and wider than the Glock."

Kim Potter trial: Minnesota state investigator outlines differences between gun and Taser - CNN

Hospitals don’t issue meds and surgery instruments as a use of force tool. Medical pros don’t hold legal power over citizens either.
True. Perhaps we need to stop holding law enforcement legally responsible for arresting criminals. There was a legal obligation per testimony given today for an arrest to be made. We need to remove that legal obligation and stop expecting the police to enforce laws and arrest people if we aren’t comfortable with the concept of mistakes ever being made.
I have a neighbor that’s a highway patrolman and he wears the gun on his right hip and taser on the left to try and prevent this type of thing. I’m curious if this dept has the same policy?
According to testimony, yes, they did. Carrying a gun on the dominant side and taser on non-dominant side is typical/standard. It reduces the risk of this type of error occurring. It clearly doesn’t eliminate the risk, much like most things in life we do to reduce risk. It’s often impossible to eliminate the risk. I suppose we could opt to have officers not carry tasers at all. It’s either shoot with a gun or not at all.

Probably the most common set of circumstances that will result in a First Degree Manslaughter charge is what’s known as the “heat of passion” killing. This occurs when one person causes the death of another when their actions were provoked by words or acts of another that caused the actor to essentially lose control.

A familiar example of this situation: a person comes home to find his/her spouse in bed with another and irrationally attacks the spouse or the spouse’s lover and the attack results in death.

In this situation, it is unlikely that there was any sort of premeditation or planning by the attacking thought; rather, the act of catching a spouse in bed with a stranger caused a momentary loss of self-control that ended in death.

Other Situations That Can Result in a Charge of First Degree Manslaughter

• committing misdemeanor assault with exceptional force and violence that resulted in the death of another;
  • intentionally causing the death of another while acting under the duress of threats made by another to the actor that reasonably caused the actor to fear imminent bodily harm or death of another;
  • selling a controlled substance, the use of which causes death; or,
  • causing the death of a child while engaged in the malicious punishment of that child.
https://arechigo-stokka.com/blog/minnesota-first-degree-manslaughter/

It does really sound like the above fits for this defendant. imo.
-----
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

To me, it doesn't sound like 2nd degree manslaughter fits either? imo.

Is there another charge that would be appropriate?
Neither of these charges sound appropriate to me. The second one specifically states something about making a “conscious choice”…. and I honestly don’t believe she made a conscious choice to use her gun. It was a mistake. There was an article somewhere today that talked about prosecution’s decision not to have “lesser included” charges and how that might end up being why she is acquitted because these charges just don’t seem to legally fit what happened here. I just don’t see how a jury of 12 random citizens will all agree to convict. All IMO of course.

Neither of these charges sound appropriate to me. The second one specifically states something about making a “conscious choice”…. and I honestly don’t believe she made a conscious choice to use her gun. It was a mistake. There was an article somewhere today that talked about prosecution’s decision not to have “lesser included” charges and how that might end up being why she is acquitted because these charges just don’t seem to legally fit what happened here. I just don’t see how a jury of 12 random citizens will all agree to convict. All IMO of course.
Sorry, I made a major typo there.. I have corrected and put an ETA at the bottom of my post. I don't think either of those charges fit this case.

I think not having lesser included charges greatly benefits her. The jurors may not feel shes guilty of what she's been charged with but want her to face some consequence for the killing. Without lesser charges, they can't do that and will have to acquit.

that piece of paper …anyone else see it?

When she said she took the piece of paper out of Daunte’s hand ( as Luckey was trying to cuff him) I was waiting for her to SAY because I had the paper in my Left hand , I got mixed up and thought the taser was under my free hand.
If you watch the body cam…she still is holding THAT piece of paper in her LEFT hand sitting on the curb ,upset, after she shoots Daunte.
POSSIBLY she made the fatal mistake because of holding that paper in her left hand rather than her right hand ?
She mentions the -taking of the paper- on the stand btw…

ETA:
I personally don’t feel like she got to speak her truth of what really transpired. The defense was fixed in motion.
JMO

Last edited:
I think not having lesser included charges greatly benefits her. The jurors may not feel shes guilty of what she's been charged with but want her to face some consequence for the killing. Without lesser charges, they can't do that and will have to acquit.
She’s lost her entire career and life as she knows it. That’s some degree of consequence IMO. It’s certainly more than other professionals face for fatal mistakes in their professional lives.

I think the testimony was that the old taser was solid yellow whereas the new taser, that she just got a few weeks prior, was yellow with black on the top.
yes Apollo you are correct...not sure where I got the other. This is exactly correct. Again with it supposed to be yellow and out in front that should have triggered her..it seems she was more busy looking at Johnson.

I’m not sure of the kind of gun she had but several brands of semi auto handguns have some tricky safety mechanisms that must be manipulated before firing.

yes Apollo you are correct...not sure where I got the other. This is exactly correct. Again with it supposed to be yellow and out in front that should have triggered her..it seems she was more busy looking at Johnson.
And wouldn't you think the fact that the handles were different shapes and textures and one was twice as heavy as the other one would have triggered something, even if she didn't look at what she was firing? It appears she just wasn't thinking about what she was doing. Kind of like Amber Guyger---all of those indicators that something wasn't right and none of them clicked in.

At least she still has her life.Too bad Daunte Wright can't say the same.
So do you believe we should be criminally charging medical professionals who make fatal mistakes with patients? I’m honestly trying to figure out how we, as a society, have arrived in a place where killing someone by mistake in a professional capacity is a crime depending on which profession you’re in.

So do you believe we should be criminally charging medical professionals who make fatal mistakes with patients? I’m honestly trying to figure out how we, as a society, have arrived in a place where killing someone by mistake in a professional capacity is a crime depending on which profession you’re in.

I see it as negligence, not simply a mistake. Many in various professions are held responsible for that.

At least she still has her life.Too bad Daunte Wright can't say the same.
I see it as negligence, not simply a mistake. Many in various professions are held responsible for that.
Criminally responsible? I’ve seen firsthand medical errors that cost someone their life from negligence. Professional licenses lost, malpractice suits settled out of court because it was obvious how a trial would go, but the thought of criminal liability for medical malpractice? No.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back