GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Same here and even as we see it as making a mistake, her not guilty plea says that she thinks she isn’t liable for the mistake. That flys in the face of justice when we so often see LE themselves demand that common citizens own and pay for their mistakes. It just seems like a different standard.
I see it as she is saying she doesn’t feel she is CRIMINALLY liable for her mistake.

That goes for most trials.Everyone is always so sorry until it comes to facing charges.
IMO, it was immediately apparent she was horrified that she had mistaken her gun for her taser. Do you feel she shot him with her gun on purpose and is just claiming she thought it was her taser?

IMO, One can make a mistake and be incredibly remorseful, yet not believe they belong in prison for that mistake.

IMO, it was immediately apparent she was horrified that she had mistaken her gun for her taser. Do you feel she shot him with her gun on purpose and is just claiming she thought it was her taser?

IMO, One can make a mistake and be incredibly remorseful, yet not believe they belong in prison for that mistake.
The prosecuter is not claiming she shot him on purpose.She would still be criminally responsible without an intentional homicide.

I’m not sure what this has to do with how we treat a professional who makes a grave error that costs someone their life. The fact that the nurse likes me and is trying to help me doesn’t make me any less dead if I’m given the wrong medication because of their mistake.
Do you think a the public would be more likely to believe a doctor/nurse accidentally caused the death of a patient or the police accidentally caused the death of a suspect? It's just my thought that the public would be more inclined to believe the doctor or nurse because of the type of relationship they had.

Last edited:
Do you think a the public would be more likely to believe a doctor/nurse accidentally caused the death of a patient or the police accidentally caused the death of a suspect? It's just my thought that the public would be more inclined to believe the doctor or nurse because of the type of relationship they had. Of course it doesn't make any victim less dead. I didn't say that.
Ok, I see how the general public might be more inclined to believe a doctor or nurse made a genuine mistake. That said, obviously (or at least it seems obvious to me), police will also make mistakes. If we believe this was a genuine mistake on the part of the officer, is that officer deserving of the same type of repercussions as the doctor or nurse that makes a mistake? Why or why not? I’m struggling to understand why there would be such a drastic difference in repercussions between the two professionals for a mistake.

The prosecuter is not claiming she shot him on purpose.She would still be criminally responsible without an intentional homicide.

I don’t think she done it on purpose but when somebody has a deadly weapon in their possession, job or otherwise, they are responsible for what happens with it and there is little room for simple mistakes.

I don’t think she done it on purpose but when somebody has a deadly weapon in their possession, job or otherwise, they are responsible for what happens with it and there is little room for simple mistakes.
Do you feel doctors and nurses should be held to the same standard? They’re holding medications and surgical instruments that kill people accidentally every day. There’s little room for simple mistakes or people die. And they do. Daily. Yet the doctors and nurses aren’t arrested or sent to prison.

Apparently the defense was not allowed to bring in anything mentioning the general climate in the Twin Cities at the time of this shooting. Police was really under fire...actually so many were NOT stopping people for things like expired tabs etc. let alone theft. It is more or less still the same here. I think the general climate out there impacted her actions in some sort of subtle way whether the shot was the intended taser or her gun. No excuse but more and more police are quitting...they will all be watching the outcome here.

Do you feel doctors and nurses should be held to the same standard? They’re holding medications and surgical instruments that kill people accidentally every day. There’s little room for simple mistakes or people die. And they do. Daily. Yet the doctors and nurses aren’t arrested or sent to prison.

Hospitals don’t issue meds and surgery instruments as a use of force tool. Medical pros don’t hold legal power over citizens either.

No excuse but more and more police are quitting...they will all be watching the outcome here.

I think when you tell an entire profession they’ll go to prison if they make one fatal mistake, you’re bound to have a lot of them re-evaluate their career choice, especially for what they get paid. It’s not worth it.

It's almost like her defence attorney didn't even review the evidence with her ahead of time. I thought it was generally said that a lawyer knows the answer before he asks the question, but in this case, it seems her lawyer keeps surprising himself with her answers.. because it's like it's the first time they talked about what he'd be asking. imo.
I wonder how helpful it was for her attorney to bring up that in 26 yrs of being on the police force, she had never shot anyone with her gun or taser before but she did it in this instance because she saw the fear in the eyes of one of the other officers when Daunte tried to take off. So this apparently was the most serious/dangerous incident she had ever been involved in? Really? She had time to notice the fear in someone elses eyes but not time to notice the weapon she was holding.

Hospitals don’t issue meds and surgery instruments as a use of force tool. Medical pros don’t hold legal power over citizens either.
True. Perhaps we need to stop holding law enforcement legally responsible for arresting criminals. There was a legal obligation per testimony given today for an arrest to be made. We need to remove that legal obligation and stop expecting the police to enforce laws and arrest people if we aren’t comfortable with the concept of mistakes ever being made.

I wonder how helpful it was for her attorney to bring up that in 26 yrs of being on the police force, she had never shot anyone with her gun or taser before but she did it in this instance because she saw the fear in the eyes of one of the other officers when Daunte tried to take off. So this apparently was the most serious/dangerous incident she had ever been involved in? Really? She had time to notice the fear in someone elses eyes but not time to notice the weapon she was holding.

Good point and it goes back to her selective memory, with the “I don’t recall” game being so popular these days. She remembers all these details that support her excuse but conveniently can’t recall anything that may be negative to her case. I think the jury will read that as deceptive.

Good point and it goes back to her selective memory, with the “I don’t recall” game being so popular these days. She remembers all these details that support her excuse but conveniently can’t recall anything that may be negative to her case. I think the jury will read that as deceptive.[/QUOTE]
That's how I read it. Same with her demeanor on the stand with the whimpering and soft spoken replies. I'd find it hard to believe that's how she acted when she was on the force. It came across as acting. That's why I had less sympathy for her after her testimony. Her defense team did a terrible job getting her prepared for trial.

I think that the "slips and capture" theory is interesting as it pertains to this case.

Slips and capture - Wikipedia

Explainer: Slip and capture argument in Potter defense

answers like "i suppose" and "i guess" ..I can't imagine that played well with the jury. Also one thing that was not hit much by either side is the change in the taser which apparently was a new taser for her and she had it about a month. The new one is black while the previous one was yellow. I would think that point could make some difference even though she was trained. Also their is something that has to be disengaged so give more time to think. While I do not think she meant to kill him that was an extraordinary mistake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back