GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
STOP the rudeness, personalizing and intolerance in this discussion.

We recognize that there are emotions on both sides, but if you cannot express your opinion with absolute respect toward other members, you will be removed from this discussion.

Just to clarify- I do think DC is a scapegoat, however I also think his superiors should all be held accountable, plus his training officers, plus his HR. I would love to package up DC and put him in jail and state problem solved- but I don’t think that is going to be the answer- that is the actual definition of a scapegoat!!!!!!!

In what legal experts called a rarity for the criminal justice system, George Floyd played a major role in the trial of the man prosecutors allege killed him. Jurors saw and heard Floyd up close, in multiple videos, begging for his life up until his final breath.

Dr. Ziv Cohen, a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at Cornell University, said that the videos the panel saw of Floyd's final moments were "powerful" evidence for the prosecution.

"That video is the star of this trial. It's the star witness of this trial. It's the biggest piece of evidence in this trial," Cohen told ABC News prior to the verdict being announced.

In bystander video taken from just feet away from Floyd and the officers who were on top of him during the May 25, 2020, arrest, and in even closer police body camera videos, jurors heard Floyd not just begging for his life but talking about his deceased mother, children and predicting his own demise.

"They gonna kill me. They gonna kill me, man," Floyd is heard saying in the now-famous video taken by a then-17-year-old high school student, Darnella Frazier.
George Floyd's voice haunted Derek Chauvin murder trial
BAck in "the day" that is not so long ago without all the cameras etc. Chauvin is just the kind of cop that would have gotten off these charges if they were ever brought to begin with. It is a new day.

Just to clarify- I do think DC is a scapegoat, however I also think his superiors should all be held accountable, plus his training officers, plus his HR. I would love to package up DC and put him in jail and state problem solved- but I don’t think that is going to be the answer- that is the actual definition of a scapegoat!!!!!!!
It is a good start. And a great improvement from when police, even if charged were acquitted.

President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris watched the verdict being read out along with staff in the White House's private dining room.

Afterwards, Biden spoke with Minnesota Governor Tim Walz. Biden, Harris and Jill Biden all spoke with George Floyd's brother Philonise Floyd from the Oval Office, the White House said.

"I'm feeling better now," Biden told the Floyd family in their phone call. "Nothing is going to make it all better but at least ... now there's some justice."

'You've been incredible. You're an incredible family," Biden said. "I wish I were there to put arms around you."

Minneapolis jury convicts ex-policeman Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd | Reuters

Last edited:
Chauvin's verdict, on all three counts, isn't a good sign for the other three officers.
No it’s not, and they had only been in training with the police academy (oh and a few weeks with on the beat cops)- but apparently the cops on the street corrupted them quickly (if I had an arms up emoji I would use it now)

Under Minnesota sentencing guidelines, Chauvin faces 12 -1/2 years in prison for his murder conviction as a first-time criminal offender. Prosecutors could seek a longer sentence of up to 40 years if Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill, who presided over the trial, determines that there were "aggravating factors."

Cahill said Chauvin's sentencing is likely eight weeks away.

In Minnesota, convicted criminals generally leave prison on supervised release after completing two thirds of their sentence. Chauvin had no previous criminal convictions.

Minneapolis jury convicts ex-policeman Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd | Reuters

The maximum sentence for second-degree unintentional murder is 40 years' imprisonment.

The maximum sentence for third-degree murder is 25 years' imprisonment.

The maximum sentence for second-degree manslaughter is 10 years and/or US$20,000

George Floyd murder trial: Jury finds Derek Chauvin guilty on all counts - NZ Herald

Last edited:
I am wondering now that this is over if one or more jurors will speak out given they are seeing themselves now as almost heros??? I think we might see some in the next days after they decompress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth