GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to popular belief, I do cry ;)

Along with others, I've cried a million tears for many others and for George Floyd and his family because, although different circumstances, I know what it is like to lose a child due to someone else's negligence in their duty of care, and hearts that were too small. Like my son, I believe had George been the Mayor of Small Town or Big City America, knowingly or unwittingly passing a counterfeit $20 bill, he would be alive today.

I think many of us have a George Floyd in our lives ... they may not be a Mayor, but they are a person we love regardless of their human failings that are just different than our own human failings. None of us deserves to die because of those failings.

I will never forget, almost to his last breath, George still referring to DC with respect as Mr. Officer.

Tonite I'm in tears to see the crowds milling about, thousands who seem to be able to breathe easier and feel at peace because justice has been seen to be done. Justice can never bring their loved one back or be enough for those who loved George Floyd, but maybe this will finally be the catalyst for the winds of change that America and other countries so badly need.

Rest in Peace, Mr. George Floyd.
You touch me. ❤️

While he technically may be a first time offender, I think his past record of complaints which were never followed up shows an egregious pattern of misconduct. However, due to systemic flaws he was never held accountable until now.

I hope that is taken into account during his sentencing.

Contrary to popular belief, I do cry ;)

Along with others, I've cried a million tears for many others and for George Floyd and his family because, although different circumstances, I know what it is like to lose a child due to someone else's negligence in their duty of care, and hearts that were too small. Like my son, I believe had George been the Mayor of Small Town or Big City America, knowingly or unwittingly passing a counterfeit $20 bill, he would be alive today.

I think many of us have a George Floyd in our lives ... they may not be a Mayor, but they are a person we love regardless of their human failings that are just different than our own human failings. None of us deserves to die because of those failings.

I will never forget, almost to his last breath, George still referring to DC with respect as Mr. Officer.

Tonite I'm in tears to see the crowds milling about, thousands who seem to be able to breathe easier and feel at peace because justice has been seen to be done. Justice can never bring their loved one back or be enough for those who loved George Floyd, but maybe this will finally be the catalyst for the winds of change that America and other countries so badly need.

Rest in Peace, Mr. George Floyd.

I hear you. I am sorry for your loss. And, you are right about grace being given to some but not all. I am hoping this is the catalyst.

Great comment. I would only change “view the general public with distrust” to “view the general public with contempt.”

Maybe contempt would be applicable to some I met. I'll give you one example. One story I was privy to dealt with LE working in northern communities where a lot of First Nations lived. Being drunk is not exclusive to one segment of society but this particular officer thought it was funny when he drove a FN person to the outskirts of town and instead of leaving him there to find his own way back to town (like he usually did) handcuffed him to the passenger side door handle and drove back to town with the poor guy stumbling and being dragged by his hand. Really fun stuff, eh? I was shocked that this guy actually thought it was okay to mention something like that. That was 30 years ago and I hope it no longer exists.

@LouRaguse

Derek Chauvin was taken into Hennepin County jail custody immediately after his conviction. Department of Corrections took custody of him at 4:53 p.m. Chauvin is held Oak Park Heights prison, like he was before he bailed out last year. No new mug shot until tomorrow.

why did he keep putting his hands behind his back when they weren't cuffed?
I can't say for sure, but my thoughts are he put his hands behind his back because he understands the magnitude of his actions, and I think he believes he should have been convicted, and perhaps it was a sign to the world he agrees with the verdict.
I also think he may have just wanted to get it over with. I'm not saying he's not getting what he deserves, but I would be willing to bet this past year has been tough on him and his family as well.

Derek Chauvin's defense team may reference Rep. Waters' comments as proof trial was unfair

After the sentencing, the appeal time starts.

Zelin said the defense will argue for appeal on the basis that Chauvin did not get a fair trial for a number of reasons, including pretrial publicity, failure to change the venue and intra-trial publicity – including Waters’ comments and even potentially comments made by President Biden.

The defense will likely also bring up the fact that jury members saw the video before it was introduced into evidence, Zelin said, and that members were unfairly burdened by the idea that Minnesota would "burn to the ground" if Chauvin was not convicted.

Derek Chauvin's defense team may reference Rep. Waters' comments as proof trial was unfair

Maybe contempt would be applicable to some I met. I'll give you one example. One story I was privy to dealt with LE working in northern communities where a lot of First Nations lived. Being drunk is not exclusive to one segment of society but this particular officer thought it was funny when he drove a FN person to the outskirts of town and instead of leaving him there to find his own way back to town (like he usually did) handcuffed him to the passenger side door handle and drove back to town with the poor guy stumbling and being dragged by his hand. Really fun stuff, eh? I was shocked that this guy actually thought it was okay to mention something like that. That was 30 years ago and I hope it no longer exists.
WOW. Horrifying.
Edited to add I’ve lived in northern and southern Canada and the US and I’m not surprised sadly.

Last edited:

That's absolutely horrendous.

I had a family member dragged, with a noose around his neck, to his death.

I had hoped that such hatred was behind us.

I can't say for sure, but my thoughts are he put his hands behind his back because he understands the magnitude of his actions, and I think he believes he should have been convicted, and perhaps it was a sign to the world he agrees with the verdict.
I also think he may have just wanted to get it over with. I'm not saying he's not getting what he deserves, but I would be willing to bet this past year has been tough on him and his family as well.

Its also the position assumed when police officers are 'on parade' I believe.

He's used to automatically doing it, that's why its comfortable for him and may even have been a 'message' that he was (in his mind) still a police officer doing his duty. He just belongs in jail for a very long time.

Also some 30 years ago, I began dating this person in Vermont where we met skiing. His brother in Kentucky was getting married, and I was invited. His brother was a state trooper. The brother had no qualms about bragging how he and his colleagues had fun terrorizing black people when pulling them over on the road for no reason. Many there were laughing along, including this new guy I was with, and his extended family. I was appalled and scared and couldn't wait to get out of there. Needless to say, that was the end of any potential relationship.

I am quite disappointed that people are calling Chauvin a scapegoat. He is guilty of kneeling on a man even after his death, then showed complete disrespect for the man he had just killed by dragging him up by the handcuffs and slamming him down, while the EMT was trying to work on him. He is no scapegoat. He is a man guilty of murder.
I absolutely agree with your post he deserves a verdict of guilty. He deserves to be in prison for a long time with no special treatment because he was a police officer, what he did to this man was utterly horrific MOO.

Unfortunately, it does still happen. As a Canadian First Nations person, I'm lucky to "pass" as white. But many of my friends and family do not. And they have had horrible things happen to them from the police, even when there was NO reason to have a police interaction at all. "Your car looks like one we're looking for." "We're looking for someone Indigenous." "Your windows look too tinted, we need to see who you are."

Maybe this is why I feel the pain of PoC so deeply. George could so easily have been my dad, or my uncle, or my brother.

ETA I shouldn't have to feel lucky to pass as white. I should be able to not worry about how I look and be proud of my culture. I am ashamed that I even have that thought in my head.

Last edited:

After the sentencing, the appeal time starts.

Zelin said the defense will argue for appeal on the basis that Chauvin did not get a fair trial for a number of reasons, including pretrial publicity, failure to change the venue and intra-trial publicity – including Waters’ comments and even potentially comments made by President Biden.

The defense will likely also bring up the fact that jury members saw the video before it was introduced into evidence, Zelin said, and that members were unfairly burdened by the idea that Minnesota would "burn to the ground" if Chauvin was not convicted.

There is always immediate talk of appeal. And, no doubt, Chauvin's attorneys will try what they can ... once they have actually stopped to think properly about it. We expect no less in this day and age.

Noor (Justine Damond murder) tried to appeal, all the way to the top court. But it didn't work.

Thoughts on this??

I'm under the impression that his sentences will be concurrent, so he only has a max of 40 years. Usually, for the top charge, they do about 12.5 years. So that could be what he gets, but the prosecutor is trying to upward direct the sentence for aggravating factors, so he could get more.

ETA -- I also think these have parole, so he'd get out in about 8 or 9 years if he got the 12.5. Not sure about this, but I think so about the parole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme