MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #14 - Chauvin Trial Day 11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the gaslighting defense.... smh

Why hasn't DC tried to negotiate a deal after seeing how devastating the evidence is against him?

I dont get it either. When he was initially charged with 2nd degree murder, 3rd degree murder and manslaughter he agreed to the lesser charge to serve 10 years in a federal prison rather than than a state prison but it was denied* This was around the time Cahill initially withdrew the 3rd degree charge IIRC. He still may end up acquitted or serve 10 years at the very least. I think going ahead with the trial was to provide a salve to the open wound America tends to every day. Justice isnt a nurse, though, she carries a sword and is blindfolded so where the blade hits is a crapshoot.
*I'm not familiar with US sentencing. In Canada, more specifically Ontario, where I'm from, our provincial prisons are for remand and sentences two years less a day. Our federal penitentiaries are for sentences more than 2 years so DC's request for federal time would have been automatic.

Edited to add: Bill Barr and not Cahill refused to accept deal.

Last edited:
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
12m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Earlier - Judge Cahill will allow the testimony of another state use of force expert, Seth Stoughton, but his testimony will be narrow.

State wanted to slow down body cam footage to better hear what #GeorgeFloyd said - def says "I ate too many drugs" State - "I ain't do no drugs" Judge won't allow saying jury can listen for themselves. Notes his surprise that state didn't object at the time.

Judge will allow Morries Hall to be called tomorrow outside presence of the jury to evaluate on a question by question basis on invoking 5th amendment.

State's final medical expert has taken the stand. Dr. Jonathan Rich, Cardiologist. He says this is his first time testifying in court.

Dr. rich.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

I guess I knew maybe one more plus "spark of life" but seems like at least three more maybe more.
I am torn on the sequester issue. Personally, I think they should have been to begin with. But I am not sure if that move should be made now, because of last night's unrest. I see both sides. I think these jurors are in a very unenviable position of hearing this highly charged case. To separate them from families and home at this point in the trial could cause them to become even more focused on wondering and trying to gauge what is going on "out there" in the world while they are tucked away. Thus being a big ole distraction from what they are tasked with.

I guess I am just confused as to why they haven't been sequestered all along and I suspect to do so at this point is like closing the the barn door after all the livestock has wandered away.

Yes I agree at this point there is a question....I am concerned the events last night have opened the door again for some serious problems in the city centered around the downtown area.

I love Jerry Blackwell’s questioning style. “Would you tell the ladies and gentlemen of the jury what a doctor is?” LOL

He is smooth but at this point I am just ready for the defense...have to wonder if the jury is thinking the same? He seems a bit mello dramatic ...the cardiac witness.

Last edited:
reviewed: Medical recs, interviews, all videos provided and autopsy report, additionally referred to Journal articles.

ETA Medical records reviewed were extensive, including previous Dr. and ER visits, labs, vitals, reported symptoms, EKG, cardiac telemetry monitor, etc.

EKG showed absolutely no abnormal heart rhythm. the telemetry monitor showed PVC (premature ventricular contraction). PVC is not uncommon and basically means the heart skips a beat occasionally.

Last edited:
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Dr. Rich testifies in his opinion #GeorgeFloyd died from: cardiopulmonary arrest, caused by low oxygen levels that were induced by the prone restraint and position asphyxia that he was subjected to.

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
32m
Final note on today's motions hearing, Judge Cahill just told the court, he plans to have closing arguments a week from today, on Monday, April 19th. That will give jury next weekend to get affairs in order, pack bags over weekend & then begin their deliberations after closings.

NEXT WITNESS: State calls Dr. Jonathan Rich, Chicago, area cardiologist. Expect his testimony to address lingering issues about #GeorgeFloyd heart condition. And to conclude that Floyd's enlarged heart, narrowed arteries & disease were NOT the cause of death.

Interesting to point out, this is very 1st time Dr. Jonathan Rich is testifying in a criminal court case. #DerekChauvinTrial #GeorgeFloyd Live gavel-to-gavel coverage all day online & on-air

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

I dont get it either. When he was initially charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter he agreed to the lesser charge to serve 10 years in a federal prison rather than than a state prison but it was denied* This was around the time Cahill initially withdrew the 3rd degree charge IIRC. He still may end up acquitted or serve 10 years at the very least. I think going ahead with the trial was to provide a salve to the open wound America tends to every day. Justice isnt a nurse, though, she carries a sword and is blindfolded so where the blade hits is a crapshoot.
*I'm not familiar with US sentencing. In Canada, more specifically Ontario, where I'm from, our provincial prisons are for remand and sentences two years less a day. Our federal penitentiaries are for sentences more than 2 years so DC's request for federal time would have been automatic.
In the US you are in what we call jail until your trial.
When you are convicted of a crime that's not a federal crime ie:
  • Terrorism
  • Counterintelligence Crime
  • Cybercrime
  • Public Corruption
  • Civil Rights Violations
- you are sent to the state prison where you convicted your crime to serve your sentence.

From Cathy Russon tweet...."Final note on today's motions hearing, Judge Cahill just told the court, he plans to have closing arguments a week from today, on Monday, April 19th. That will give jury next weekend to get affairs in order, pack bags over weekend & then begin their deliberations after closings."

I guess I sort of missed this...are we saying that Defense will rest their case by this Friday? I always thought it was about one month for testimony and then deliberations. Anyone else hear this?

After looking at his medical records:

High BP
anxiety
substance abuse

no diagnosis of heart disease previously, no signs of cardiac issues after looking at lab results, etc.

Unless I missed it, I don't think he is giving a time for this?

Only mentioning it since on the weekend it was being discussed on the sidebar thread about what, if any tests would have been done when he was hospitalized in March 2020.

How can you have "no" cardiac issues as evidenced on extensive testing....and yet reports of blocked arteries? Including one major one a 90%. Confused here.

Yes me too turaj. I understand that a lot of people walk around for years and not know there is an issue. But so many factors here, street drugs, covid, etc. I am sure we will hear more :)

just another note:
This doc isn't being paid to be there, he is being compensated for lost income while he is there, at $1200 a day.

How can you have "no" cardiac issues as evidenced on extensive testing....and yet reports of blocked arteries? Including one major one a 90%. Confused here.

IMO, GF never had an angiogram, which is the only way to properly visualize and diagnose Coronary Artery disease. It can be suspected, but not diagnosed until proven .This was all an unknown factor, until they did the autopsy.

IMO, GF never had an angiogram, which is the only way to properly visualize and diagnose Coronary Artery disease. It can be suspected, but not diagnosed until proven .This was all an unknown factor, until they did the autopsy.
Well this cardiac expert who never really saw GF is saying these things knowing the results of the autopsy. Says he has a healthy heart. Okay.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
3m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Dr. Rich testifies in his opinion #GeorgeFloyd has an "exceptionally strong heart" and found no evidence of a negative heart condition.

Does this testimony from state expert cardiologist conflict with Dr. Baker's testimony of 75% narrowing of arteries and heart disease?
Quote Tweet
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
· 2m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Dr. Rich testifies in his opinion #GeorgeFloyd has an "exceptionally strong heart" and found no evidence of a negative heart condition.

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Julie Rendelman
@jrendelmanlaw
·
2m
Prosecution has now put on a witness, Dr. Jonathan Rich, that seems to contradict other experts in terms of #GeorgeFloyd's heart issues. Good strategy?

Sorry - some may be repeats - lost my place....

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
22m
Cardiologist Dr Jonathan Rich concludes #GeorgeFloyd died of "cardiopulmonary arrest" from low Oxygen levels while being restrained in prone position, leading to positional asphyxiation. Dr Rich testifies only compensation from state is $1200/day while away from work at trial.

Dr. Jonathan Rich, a Chicago area cardiologist, says in his medical opinion, #GeorgeFloyd died from a cardiopulmonary arrest caused by low oxygen levels, which were "induced by the prone restraint and positional asphyxia he was subjected to.” #DerekChauvinTrial

CARDIOLOGIST: "I can state with a high degree of medical certainty that #GeorgeFloyd did not die from a primary cardiac event, and he did not die from a drug overdose," state expert Dr. Jonathan Rich.
Show this thread

In many cases, blocked arteries don't manifest symptoms until/unless a major cardiac event occurs so it's unlikely he had an angiogram.

And I think (I know I did), it's really easy to write something off like feeling tired or breathless as something much less nefarious than heart-related. I thought my heart failure was the start of a virus for several days. One of the only symptoms of CAD (Coronary Artery Disease) is angina - imagine exercising and feeling your chest get tight and short of breath? Most people would probably think it was the exercise causing those symptoms. So imo it's really easy to write off as not significant - until it is.

JMO

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
3m

Does this testimony from state expert cardiologist conflict with Dr. Baker's testimony of 75% narrowing of arteries and heart disease?
Quote Tweet
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
· 2m

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Julie Rendelman
@jrendelmanlaw
·
2m
Prosecution has now put on a witness, Dr. Jonathan Rich, that seems to contradict other experts in terms of #GeorgeFloyd's heart issues. Good strategy?

Sorry - some may be repeats - lost my place....

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
22m
Cardiologist Dr Jonathan Rich concludes #GeorgeFloyd died of "cardiopulmonary arrest" from low Oxygen levels while being restrained in prone position, leading to positional asphyxiation. Dr Rich testifies only compensation from state is $1200/day while away from work at trial.

Dr. Jonathan Rich, a Chicago area cardiologist, says in his medical opinion, #GeorgeFloyd died from a cardiopulmonary arrest caused by low oxygen levels, which were "induced by the prone restraint and positional asphyxia he was subjected to.” #DerekChauvinTrial

CARDIOLOGIST: "I can state with a high degree of medical certainty that #GeorgeFloyd did not die from a primary cardiac event, and he did not die from a drug overdose," state expert Dr. Jonathan Rich.
Show this thread

Boy i have to agree with above posts...I am hearing contradicting evidence here. State should stop when they are ahead.

In many cases, blocked arteries don't manifest symptoms until/unless a major cardiac event occurs so it's unlikely he had an angiogram.

And I think (I know I did), it's really easy to write something off like feeling tired or breathless as something much less nefarious than heart-related. I thought my heart failure was the start of a virus for several days. One of the only symptoms of CAD (Coronary Artery Disease) is angina - imagine exercising and feeling your chest get tight and short of breath? Most people would probably think it was the exercise causing those symptoms. So imo it's really easy to write off as not significant - until it is.

JMO

From discussion on the Sidebar thread and from what I just know ... a heart problem is not a heart problem.. until it is. So thanks for giving your personal experience :)

I like this doc... I like how he is testifying, talking to the jurors, would never know this was his first time.

I will reserve judgement though, because I have thought other witnesses were good ones... until cross... :confused:

I am doubtful that Nelson has the capability and knowledge to successfully cross this witness. But man, I can imagine some Cardiologists and others doing an extreme wt* at his testimony. It's alarming to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24