GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone finds the May date hearing for the 3 officers - please post! TIA! :)
MINNESOTA COURT OF APPEALS
Minnesota Judicial Center
25 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, Minnesota 55155
(651) 297-1000​

[POSTAL/MAILING
ADDRESS IF
APPLICABLE]

NOTICE OF ORAL ARGUMENT
Case Number: A21-0202​

In re: State of Minnesota, Appellant, vs. J. Alexander Kueng, et al., Respondents.

This matter has been set for oral argument as follows: May 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM, via ZoomGov.

Subject to substitution, the judges assigned to hear the case are:

Judge Matthew E. Johnson
Judge Theodora K. Gaitas
Judge Renee L. Worke​

The arguing attorneys will receive additional information regarding the ZoomGov session. There will also be a test session, and you will be required to connect for the test session from the same computer and location that you will be using on the day of argument. If you are not able to connect via computer, you will be able to dial a phone number to participate (and listen) by audio alone. You waive your right to oral argument by failing to appear as scheduled.

Only attorneys for parties who filed briefs on appeal may argue. If an attorney not listed on a party's brief intends to argue, a letter identifying the arguing attorney must be e-filed and served on opposing counsel at least one week in advance of the scheduled date. Unless otherwise ordered by the court, appellant is allotted 15 minutes and respondent is allotted 15 minutes, followed by a 5-minute appellant rebuttal. If two or more attorneys will argue as appellant or respondent, they should apportion the allotted time in advance. See Minn. App. Spec. R. Prac. 2.

Recordings of oral arguments held after January 1, 2019 may be available online. Minn. App. Spec. R. Prac. 2. Attorneys are required to avoid the disclosure of confidential information during oral arguments. Minn. R. Civ. App. P. 112.03.

Postponement of oral argument is permitted only upon a showing of extreme emergency by motion filed with the Clerk of the Appellate Courts immediately after the emergency arises.

Dated: March 24, 2021

Minnesota Judicial Branch - AccessCaseRecords

BBM.

Attachments

• Notice of Oral Argument (1).pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 1
Juror 52 has come out ....

Listen: Black Juror In Derek Chauvin Trial Speaks Out [EXCLUSIVE]

No. 52: Black man, 30s

He said he works in the banking industry and is a youth sports coach.

In his questionnaire, he said he was neutral on Chauvin and Floyd. He said he had seen the video and has wondered why the other officers didn’t intervene.

Prosecutor Steve Schleicher questioned one of the juror's statements made during questioning by the defense. The man had said he didn’t think anyone had the intent to cause Floyd’s death.

Schleicher said Chauvin’s intentions will be contested during the trial and asked him if he’d have a problem setting aside his opinion.

“I don’t think it would be that difficult at all,” he said. “I think I can definitely look at it with an objective point of view.”

Interesting that he said that only one person needed to be swayed by the others.

Boy @Legally Bland - you sure were quick! :) Thanks! I'm just wondering "why" this wasn't on the court site with their other stuff....
:shrugs shoulders:
I think because the hearing is in the MN Appellate Court rather than Hennepin County Court. But I've been checking the wrong site for this hearing date too, it only occurred to me this morning.

Derek Chauvin juror says trial was like 'watching somebody die on a daily basis'

Brandon Mitchell, juror 52, said being in the courtroom for the high-profile case was like "watching somebody die on a daily basis."

"It's a historic video, unfortunately," Mitchell said. "It was probably the most important piece of evidence."

"It probably was to his detriment that he didn't take the stand because people were curious on what his thoughts were throughout the entire incident," Mitchell said.

Mitchell said the deliberations were relatively "straightforward" but that "there were a few hiccups with terminology and understanding exactly what the instructions were."

"There wasn't too much banter back-and-forth," he noted. "I think the one juror that was kind of, I wouldn't say slowing us down but was being delicate with the process more so, was just kind of hung up on a few words within the instructions and just wanted to make sure that they got it right."

I think because the hearing is in the MN Appellate Court rather than Hennepin County Court. But I've been checking the wrong site for this hearing date too, it only occurred to me this morning.

Oh really!? Do you have a link to that site? Why would it be in the Appellate court? Their case hasn't gone to trial yet...
Oh - never mind on the link - I see you have it in your post... :rolleyes:

Maryland To Probe Cases Handled By Ex-Medical Examiner Who Testified In Chauvin Trial

Maryland officials will conduct an independent review of reports of deaths in police custody during the tenure of retired chief medical examiner Dr. David Fowler, representatives from the offices of the governor and attorney general confirmed.

Fowler served as Maryland's chief medical examiner from 2002 to 2019. He was in the spotlight as a defense witness in the trial of former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin.

Fowler testified that he believed Floyd had died of a sudden cardiac event due to his underlying heart disease while being restrained by police, citing multiple possible contributing factors such as drugs in his system and potential exposure to carbon monoxide from vehicle exhaust. While the Hennepin County medical examiner concluded that Floyd's death was a homicide, Fowler argued the manner of death should be classified as "undetermined."

Derek Chauvin juror says trial was like 'watching somebody die on a daily basis'

Brandon Mitchell, juror 52, said being in the courtroom for the high-profile case was like "watching somebody die on a daily basis."

"It's a historic video, unfortunately," Mitchell said. "It was probably the most important piece of evidence."

"It probably was to his detriment that he didn't take the stand because people were curious on what his thoughts were throughout the entire incident," Mitchell said.

Mitchell said the deliberations were relatively "straightforward" but that "there were a few hiccups with terminology and understanding exactly what the instructions were."

"There wasn't too much banter back-and-forth," he noted. "I think the one juror that was kind of, I wouldn't say slowing us down but was being delicate with the process more so, was just kind of hung up on a few words within the instructions and just wanted to make sure that they got it right."
Listened to one of his interviews so far....I remember him from jury selection...he definitely wanted to get on and kept it neutral in voir dire. He called the group of jurors the "cast" and is really making the rounds. He is the only window we have into the deliberations and talks of one juror who from what he says was more process oriented and wanted to be clear on instruction wording etc. It sounds like a bit of a struggle with that one but at the end all on board. He references case making history and I think is very thrilled to be part of history. I am fairly surprised that only 4 hours as he describes for real back and forth given they needed to get from 3rd to 2nd. I wonder if that real quick unanimity of the verdict will have an impact on judge Cahill in terms of sentencing?

another thought on Brandon Mitchell...he made an excellent point about black men showing up for jury duty. Most that do come in get off for cause...some don't respond to summons etc. but he is right for juries to be balanced that needs to happen. Also another vote for Dr. Tobin...he made quite an impression in this courtroom!

Last edited:
Whatever they can throw at him to keep him incarcerated as long as possible. He deserves life.

The reason I asked, is that originally Chauvin wanted a deal, to serve his time in a nice "club fed" facility. He will more than likely be shipped out of state due to his "fame". Keeping him safe in lockup is probably a headache Minnesota doesn't want.

another thought on Brandon Mitchell...he made an excellent point about black men showing up for jury duty. Most that do come in get off for cause...some don't respond to summons etc. but he is right for juries to be balanced that needs to happen. Also another vote for Dr. Tobin...he made quite an impression in this courtroom!

When we say, "black men" that encompasses quite a few variances. I know that minorities are more likely than not to be on public assistance, and have numerous issues with moving, not getting mail. This isn't being derogatory or generalizing, it is statistically significant. And probably why fewer black men are available for jury duty.

When we say, "black men" that encompasses quite a few variances. I know that minorities are more likely than not to be on public assistance, and have numerous issues with moving, not getting mail. This isn't being derogatory or generalizing, it is statistically significant. And probably why fewer black men are available for jury duty.
Agreed....and many that do report for duty are struck for cause as they are in jobs where they will not get paid and can't sustain the loss of income. If all employers had to pay their workers for jury service we might have a different mix. That said they got a pretty good mix on the Chauvin trial where it was doubtful they could get any....but was it biased for the state..I think so.

Agreed....and many that do report for duty are struck for cause as they are in jobs where they will not get paid and can't sustain the loss of income. If all employers had to pay their workers for jury service we might have a different mix. That said they got a pretty good mix on the Chauvin trial where it was doubtful they could get any....but was it biased for the state..I think so.
Really? In Poland jurors are paid and also get their travelling costs compensated.

Really? In Poland jurors are paid and also get their travelling costs compensated.
for example here in Minnesota many employers do not pay their employees for time for jury service and court pays you about $20 for the day plus mileage...in other words almost nothing. Many people simply cannot afford to serve.

for example here in Minnesota many employers do not pay their employees for time for jury service and court pays you about $20 for the day plus mileage...in other words almost nothing. Many people simply cannot afford to serve.
I see. In Poland jurors are paid by State (Treasury) per day. It is percentage of judge's salary. Is it much? I dont know but they dont suffer.

How are they paid? If someone makes $70/hour and is self employed, do they get that reimbursement. Do they do a sliding scale down to someone who makes $12/hour? Is everyone based on their income and they have to prove lost wages?

So interesting how other countries do such. How is the Poland reimbursements done?

U.S.... it's a pittance MOO and courts depend on employers to cover ? Which most large corporations do MOO.

How are they paid? If someone makes $70/hour and is self employed, do they get that reimbursement. Do they do a sliding scale down to someone who makes $12/hour? Is everyone based on their income and they have to prove lost wages?

So interesting how other countries do such. How is the Poland reimbursements done?

U.S.... it's a pittance MOO and courts depend on employers to cover ? Which most large corporations do MOO.
Well, I dont really know the details. Granted, if sb earns a lot in his/her job, they might be at disadvantage losing a few days from work. Employers dont pay them but State does for days spent in court. Usually retired people are jurors and they are happy doing it - service for society (they feel useful) and earn some extra cash.

I am late to the thread and have not read through. I find in unusual that someone can be found guilty of murder and manslaughter. In my state I'm pretty sure it's either one or the other and it has to do with definitely being guilty of a homicide, but to what degree of responsibility and intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member