MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SBM. SAY WHAT? Other evidence that does not support a criminal charge?????? This man has a reputation as heartless some families have described. The statement is astounding. If he thinks there is evidence that doesn't support a criminal charge, I have no words.
IMO, it will all be blamed on a pre-existing medical condition that the killer could not have possibly been aware of.

How many times have we heard "if you can talk, you can breathe" as the only response to someone begging for air? Jmo imo
Edit: extra letter

There's a new name to add to this list. The list was already WAY TOO LONG. :(

Rest in peace, George Floyd.

I have privilege as a white person because I can do all of these things without thinking twice about it...

I can go jogging (#AmaudArbery).

I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson).

I can ask for help after being in a car crash (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride).

I can have a cellphone (#StephonClark).

I can leave a party to get to safety (#JordanEdwards).

I can play loud music (#JordanDavis).

I can sell CD's (#AltonSterling).

I can sleep (#AiyanaJones)

I can walk from the corner store (#MikeBrown).

I can play cops and robbers (#TamirRice).

I can go to church (#Charleston9).

I can walk home with Skittles (#TrayvonMartin).

I can hold a hair brush while leaving my own bachelor party (#SeanBell).

I can party on New Years (#OscarGrant).

I can get a normal traffic ticket (#SandraBland).

I can lawfully carry a weapon (#PhilandoCastile).

I can break down on a public road with car problems (#CoreyJones).

I can shop at Walmart (#JohnCrawford) .

I can have a disabled vehicle (#TerrenceCrutcher).

I can read a book in my own car (#KeithScott).

I can be a 10yr old walking with our grandfather (#CliffordGlover).

I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese).

I can ask a cop a question (#RandyEvans).

I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood).

I can take out my wallet (#AmadouDiallo).

I can run (#WalterScott).

I can breathe (#EricGarner).

I can live (#FreddieGray).

White privilege is real. Take a minute to consider someone else's experience today.

#BlackLivesMatter

Of the 25 largest police agencies in the country, 12 departments prohibit the carotid restraint or reserve it for situations in which lethal force is justified, and two others allow officers to use the restraint to protect themselves or others from serious bodily injury or death.
Five agencies, including San Diego, allow its use with fewer restrictions, while the remaining six didn’t clearly state their policy.
There are several reasons departments may not use the restraint, but medical risks are among the most commonly cited.
Dr. William Smock, who has evaluated victims of strangulation for decades as a police surgeon for the Louisville Metro Police Department, said even well-executed carotid restraints could result in death.
The hold can cause a tear inside the carotid artery, which may result in a blood clot that later detaches and triggers a stroke, he said. Dislodged pieces of plaque already present in the carotid artery could have the same effect.
If the tear in the artery is large enough, a blood clot can completely block the carotid artery cutting off blood flow to the brain. Smock said brain damage is also a possibility.

“I’ve seen case after case after case of people who have no marks on their neck who were put in a carotid restraint and suffered a (tear in their carotid artery) — that’s a ticking time bomb in their neck,” Smock said.
The maneuver isn’t just dangerous to suspects, Smock said. At the request of a prosecutor’s office in Indiana, Smock traveled to Fort Wayne in January to evaluate two officers who were reportedly injured during carotid restraint training earlier that month. He said both suffered embolic strokes when plaque inside the carotid artery broke off and traveled to the brain.
The Fort Wayne Police Department did not confirm the officers were injured in training, but did temporarily stop using the restraint while an investigation was conducted.
San Diego police leaders defend use of controversial neck restraint, despite continuing calls for a ban

Of the 25 largest police agencies in the country, 12 departments prohibit the carotid restraint or reserve it for situations in which lethal force is justified, and two others allow officers to use the restraint to protect themselves or others from serious bodily injury or death.
Five agencies, including San Diego, allow its use with fewer restrictions, while the remaining six didn’t clearly state their policy.
There are several reasons departments may not use the restraint, but medical risks are among the most commonly cited.
Dr. William Smock, who has evaluated victims of strangulation for decades as a police surgeon for the Louisville Metro Police Department, said even well-executed carotid restraints could result in death.
The hold can cause a tear inside the carotid artery, which may result in a blood clot that later detaches and triggers a stroke, he said. Dislodged pieces of plaque already present in the carotid artery could have the same effect.
If the tear in the artery is large enough, a blood clot can completely block the carotid artery cutting off blood flow to the brain. Smock said brain damage is also a possibility.

“I’ve seen case after case after case of people who have no marks on their neck who were put in a carotid restraint and suffered a (tear in their carotid artery) — that’s a ticking time bomb in their neck,” Smock said.
The maneuver isn’t just dangerous to suspects, Smock said. At the request of a prosecutor’s office in Indiana, Smock traveled to Fort Wayne in January to evaluate two officers who were reportedly injured during carotid restraint training earlier that month. He said both suffered embolic strokes when plaque inside the carotid artery broke off and traveled to the brain.
The Fort Wayne Police Department did not confirm the officers were injured in training, but did temporarily stop using the restraint while an investigation was conducted.
San Diego police leaders defend use of controversial neck restraint, despite continuing calls for a ban

omg. This is worse than russian roulette. needs to be banned- period

IMO, it will all be blamed on a pre-existing medical condition that the killer could not have possibly been aware of.

How many times have we heard "if you can talk, you can breathe" as the only response to someone begging for air? Jmo imo
Except for the fact there were many people who came up and said that they were killing him. Except for the fact you can literally see the life draining out of him as the cop kept his leg on him for up to NINE FRICKIN' MINUTES!

I don't blame them at all for protesting, as long as it's nonviolent. It's their city, and they are even more disgusted and outraged than we are.

They want an arrest, and they want change. They are out there supporting the victim and demanding justice. A police officer murdered an unarmed suspect, continuing to kneel on his neck for several minutes after he was already dead, while the other officers looked on and people were begging and pleading for them to stop. They never even checked his pulse or tried to save him! They put his lifeless body on the stretcher like it was just an ordinary day.

It was inhumane, and they should have been arrested for murder by now. They have video evidence, what more do they need?

Imo

I don't blame them at all for protesting, as long as it's nonviolent. It's their city, and they are even more disgusted and outraged than we are.

They want an arrest, and they want change. They are out there supporting the victim and demanding justice. A police officer murdered an unarmed suspect, continuing to kneel on his neck for several minutes after he was already dead, while the other officers looked on and people were begging and pleading for them to stop. They never even checked his pulse or tried to save him! They put his lifeless body on the stretcher like it was just an ordinary day.

It was inhumane, and they should have been arrested for murder by now. They have video evidence, what more do they need?

Imo

I was referring to the violence that is occurring and the destruction of property. There is no justification for that.

I'm not sure what these protests are even trying to achieve. The four officers have been fired and an investigation is under way. What do the protesters want that isn't already happening?

I think the conflating of the looting/burning with protesting is a mistake. There have been many peaceful protests----people wanting to signify that enough is enough. They want to let the powers that be know that firing is not enough- that the systematic issues that are not being addressed are literally killing people and creating an atmosphere of distrust, belief that killing will always been seen as justified. With two of these murderers having been singled out repeatedly for abuses, the anger is boiling over in ways that can not be quashed without serious change.

The looters and burners are not protesting. They are raging. Where the protesters are still believing in change, the looters believe that they are owed things because the system is rigged against them-- that they will never get justice. I don't agree with them but the fact that things have not changed is a major issue.

Additionally, you have a press conference where the DA says that there is evidence he is weighing that may point in the direction that the actions are not criminal will fuel more outrage. If a video that these people (and all of us) watched where we see a man begging for relief, cop ignoring him, calling for his mom, and ceasing to live doesn't have a criminal code, there will never be peace. The community deserves better. The answer of looking at all evidence is reasonable, IMO, but it would have been helpful to have Rev. Jackson or Mr. Ellison there to led credibility.

Last edited:
"Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."

-Rev. Martin Luther King Jr, March 14, 1968.

SBM. SAY WHAT? Other evidence that does not support a criminal charge?????? This man has a reputation as heartless some families have described. The statement is astounding. If he thinks there is evidence that doesn't support a criminal charge, I have no words.
Take heart that federal charges could come.

@NBCNews

Hennepin Co. Attorney Freeman: “ there's other evidence that does not support a criminal charge... I will not rush to justice.”

I’ve sat all afternoon trying to think of what kind of evidence they could possibly have that would make this less than murder. I feel like we’re already being gaslighted into questioning what I know I saw with my own eyes.

Would there be any plausible cause of death that had nothing to do with having the body weight of the officer’s knee on his throat? Let’s say the coroner comes back and says a massive heart attack is the COD. Could they reasonably argue he didn’t die because of the knee at all? What about a lethal amount of drugs in his system? It seems to me that even if something like this was true, there’s just absolutely zero doubt in my mind that excessive force was used. But I guess excessive force and murder are two very different charges.

I cannot imagine this being anything less than murder. I just can’t. And I surely pray they don’t try to sell a load of BS to the people in that community.

Take heart that federal charges could come.

I am just astonished that they have no clue as to the level of discontent and despair in this community. It goes beyond Mr. Floyd. It is steeped in the belief system based on talking head/do nothing wonks who don't have to live in fear.

Later, in the presser, the DA redeemed himself somewhat by talking about the why and referring to Rev. Jackson and AG Ellison but his indignation at compromising his ethics (I support and laud ethics!) is tone deaf to the pain of the people and Mr. Floyd's family. He needs better speaking skills ----to embrace the pain, to ensure that justice will be served, to fairness above reproach is guaranteed and to demonstrate that he has connected to the whole community rather than just when crisis occur.

I’ve sat all afternoon trying to think of what kind of evidence they could possibly have that would make this less than murder. I feel like we’re already being gaslighted into questioning what I know I saw with my own eyes.

Would there be any plausible cause of death that had nothing to do with having the body weight of the officer’s knee on his throat? Let’s say the coroner comes back and says a massive heart attack is the COD. Could they reasonably argue he didn’t die because of the knee at all? What about a lethal amount of drugs in his system? It seems to me that even if something like this was true, there’s just absolutely zero doubt in my mind that excessive force was used. But I guess excessive force and murder are two very different charges.

I cannot imagine this being anything less than murder. I just can’t. And I surely pray they don’t try to sell a load of BS to the people in that community.

You're right about gaslighting. I read that and felt anger. Nothing like tossing gasoline onto a raging fire.

While the Twin Cities region rages, a neighborhood grieves a singular loss
Beautiful mural already up at the store where George Floyd was murdered
1590708846_08-1011074586+02mvFLOYD052920.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads