MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son teaches martial arts. They learn very early this move will kill someone done improperly, so it's not allowed at all. I cannot believe this is a move approved in LE training. This needs to be banned.

I am horrified from start to finish. 4 untrained men would have done better. Wow. Smdh

I saw absolutely no reason for them to put Mr. Floyd on the ground, and I've not heard one officer offer an explanation for their actions. In the extremely unlikely event that 4 officers can't handle one man handcuffed behind his back, and in the even more remote possibility that any force needed to be applied, why couldn't that officer move his knee to the man's shoulder, anywhere but his head or neck!?!? What were they waiting for? Why wouldn't they let him and help him stand up and take him to the cruiser? I just don't understand. Why didn't one of the other 3 have the backbone to tell the officer, "Get off of him!"

My son teaches martial arts. They learn very early this move will kill someone done improperly, so it's not allowed at all. I cannot believe this is a move approved in LE training. This needs to be banned.

I am horrified from start to finish. 4 untrained men would have done better. Wow. Smdh

I saw absolutely no reason for them to put Mr. Floyd on the ground, and I've not heard one officer offer an explanation for their actions. In the extremely unlikely event that 4 officers can't handle one man handcuffed behind his back, and in the even more remote possibility that any force needed to be applied, why couldn't that officer move his knee to the man's shoulder, anywhere but his head or neck!?!? What were they waiting for? Why wouldn't they let him and help him stand up and take him to the cruiser? I just don't understand. Why didn't one of the other 3 have the backbone to tell the officer, "Get off of him!"

I have been asking the same question - what the hell were they waiting for?

News conference 11:30AM CDT per Theo Keith: Livestream | FOX 9 Minneapolis-St. Paul

"Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins and the fire and police chiefs will hold an 11:30 a.m. news conference. Live here: https://fox9.com/live The newser is pooled, meaning there's no opportunity for the vast majority of us to ask questions."

upload_2020-5-28_11-31-15.png

Year after year, unarmed black people get murdered in Minneapolis without charges brought against the "authorities" which means their actions can be seen as "authorized" in a certain light- its a pretty heinous picture.
This was all preventable if we had an emphasis on ethics in people in power. What people did to Lake Street last night is totally cringe worthy, but just a drop in the bucket compared to what communities have to deal with on a daily basis.
I do not condone violence, looting, or destruction, but that was the real and raw reaction, not the precursor and needs to be put in perspective.
All eyes are on us right now and that was the point.
JUSTICE NOW

ETA:
protests scheduled for downtown tonight, sincerely hope charges come before this.

There is no question that black communities deal with racism, including by the police. However, I take great issue with some of what you stated. You state you do not condone violence, looting or destruction but "that was a real and raw reaction, not the precursor and needs to be put into perspective". IMO you are excusing the inexcusable disgusting behavior because a man was needlessly and brutally killed by the police and because black communities do have to deal with racism. What I witnessed was what I believe thugs acting out: it has happened before in these types of situations and is never ever acceptable. That type of violence cannot ever be tolerated; it is lawless behavior. They are destroying their own city- setting cars on fire, burning buildings and LOOTING- Tell me how looting represents protesting. Beyond that, this type of behavior only reinforces what racists already think of African Americans-- nothing we say here will change that type of behavior but is in no way excusable or acceptable and never will be, no matter how aggrieved the black community is.

Year after year, unarmed black people get murdered in Minneapolis without charges brought against the "authorities" which means their actions can be seen as "authorized" in a certain light- its a pretty heinous picture.
This was all preventable if we had an emphasis on ethics in people in power. What people did to Lake Street last night is totally cringe worthy, but just a drop in the bucket compared to what communities have to deal with on a daily basis.
I do not condone violence, looting, or destruction, but that was the real and raw reaction, not the precursor and needs to be put in perspective.
All eyes are on us right now and that was the point.
JUSTICE NOW

ETA:
protests scheduled for downtown tonight, sincerely hope charges come before this.

I absolutely agree with your assessment about the people in power issues. Not enough gets done until a crisis occurs and, then, people are calling for calm. The elected and appointed officials need to do their work to make change as that would avoid the dynamic of the people are fighting against/reacting to. Time to act is now. Time for charges is now--even if they need to start with lesser charges and amend. Time to meet with community leaders is now.

There is no question that black communities deal with racism, including by the police. However, I take great issue with some of what you stated. You state you do not condone violence, looting or destruction but "that was a real and raw reaction, not the precursor and needs to be put into perspective". IMO you are excusing the inexcusable disgusting **** behavior because a man was needlessly and brutally killed by the police and because black communities do have to deal with racism. What I witnessed was what I believe thugs acting out: it has happened before in these types of situations and is never ever acceptable. That type of violence cannot ever be tolerated; it is lawless **** behavior. They are destroying their own city- setting cars on fire, burning buildings and LOOTING- Tell me how looting represents protesting. Beyond that, this type of behavior only reinforces what racists already think of African Americans-- nothing we say here will change that type of behavior but is in no way excusable or acceptable and never will be, no matter how aggrieved the black community is.

The people who looted and burned this city last night are reprehensible. The lawlessness seen last night was ignited by five or six factors. First, the attempted white-wash of the incident and the slowish acknowledgement of the issue (stemmed by the firing of the officers). Second, the firing with pay of the officers but no arrest/take into custody that would accompany any one of us who exhibited the behavior but especially people of color. Third, the speaking out of the mayor helped but there was no concerted effort to present a plan or response using community partners. Fourth, officers used tear gas and other means on Tuesday night but didn't really show up last night--the city managers/leadership knew this would come and didn't plan to stop it. Fifth, the DA has been tepid in responding to issues historically so his statement (in absence of other information) was like gasoline on the fire. Sixth, changes based on the historical aspects of the ethics of the police department and commitment for change have been woefully inadequate.

I don't think looting or criminal actions are acceptable. But, the powder keg that was last night is based on poor leadership. The actions belong to the criminals who looted and destroyed. The frustration that things are not changing in Minneapolis belongs to the elected leaders and the community leaders.

MOO.

Hoping for a peaceful night tonight.

Last edited:
Protesters descended on the home of the cop filmed pinning George Floyd down by his neck before his death — scrawling “murderer” in large letters at the end of his driveway.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/cop-who-pinned-george-floyd-has-murderer-scrawled-on-home/

minneapolis-police-death-03.jpg

minneapolis-police-death-02.jpg

A demonstrator outside the home of fired Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin.

AP

I absolutely agree with your assessment about the people in power issues. Not enough gets done until a crisis occurs and, then, people are calling for calm. The elected and appointed officials need to do their work to make change as that would avoid the dynamic of the people are fighting against/reacting to. Time to act is now. Time for charges is now--even if they need to start with lesser charges and amend. Time to meet with community leaders is now.
IMO, a leader needs to emerge. The movement is worthy of better organization. I have no clue who that will be - I know some national leaders/elders are heading to Minneapolis but there is likely an entire generation who don't know (or even care) who those leaders are. (I'm glad they are going, btw, just not pinning everything on it.)

There is someone, I have a feeling, who can handle this task and move us FORWARD as soooo many of us sincerely want to do. We don't want police brutality. We don't want two-tiered justice system. But without leadership, the message is getting lost....and this will become battle against each other rather than a battle forward together.

jmo

Live updates: Minneapolis protests over the death of George Floyd

George Floyd case: Two Minneapolis cops caught on tape have history of conduct complaints

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/28/minneapolis-protests-george-floyd-death/

• The Justice Department and FBI have pledged to undertake a “robust criminal investigation” into Floyd’s death and said in a joint statement that the inquiry is “a top priority.”
  • Floyd’s family will seek an independent autopsy of his body because it does not trust Minneapolis city officials, an attorney for the family said Thursday on CNN.
  • Floyd’s death also sparked rallies in other parts of the country Wednesday. In Memphis, a crowd gathered outside a police building and chanted “no justice, no peace.” In Los Angeles, protesters blocked a freeway and confronted a California Highway Patrol vehicle.
  • U.S. police chiefs, many of whom have been pushing their officers to de-escalate tense situations and decrease their use of force, responded with disgust to Floyd’s death and praised Minneapolis’s chief for firing the officers involved.
These are the images of George Floyd you should see - CNN

"He stood up for people, he was there for people when they were down, he loved people that were thrown away," Courteney Ross, Floyd's friend, told WCCO. "We prayed over every meal, we prayed if we were having a hard time, we prayed if we were having a good time."

-Rev. Al Sharpton is at the murder scene now, speaking at a rally.
-There will be protests again at the 3rd precinct.
-There is a protest started now in St. Paul as well
-Tonight will be a protest downtown
-And still protests at Derek Chauvin's house.

that's FIVE in the Twin Cities. hoping since they are split up that things will be more contained....
waiting to hear about imminent arrest... fingers crossed

The people who looted and burned this city last night are reprehensible. The lawlessness seen last night was ignited by five or six factors. First, the attempted white-wash of the incident and the slowish acknowledgement of the issue (stemmed by the firing of the officers). Second, the firing with pay of the officers but no arrest/take into custody that would accompany any one of us who exhibited the behavior but especially people of color. Third, the speaking out of the mayor helped but there was no concerted effort to present a plan or response using community partners. Fourth, officers used tear gas and other means on Tuesday night but didn't really show up last night--the city managers/leadership knew this would come and didn't plan to stop it. Fifth, the DA has been tepid in responding to issues historically so his statement (in absence of other information) was like gasoline on the fire. Sixth, changes based on the historical aspects of the ethics of the police department and commitment for change have been woefully inadequate.

I don't think looting or criminal actions are acceptable. But, the powder keg that was last night is based on poor leadership. The actions belong to the criminals who looted and destroyed. The frustration that things are not changing in Minneapolis belongs to the elected leaders and the community leaders.

MOO.

Hoping for a peaceful night tonight.

They are fed up. You have tagged a quote from Coretta Scott King - her husband said that "rioting is the language of the unheard."

Coming out of my cave for this one. Been trying to take as much of a media break as possible. Today I ghost lurked on Facebook (my account is mostly deactivated). I saw the horrific arrest/ death video, I watched the riot, I decided to look at both the media portrayal and what people were showing on the ground.

First off, that officer is a cold blooded MURDERER. That was racism at it’s finest. This officer needs to be in jail right now.

Second, from all the accounts I have read/ heard, this was a peaceful protest until the police started using tear gas.

Third, Americans are absolutely fed up with these racist police getting off on the murder of black and brown people. There is rarely justice in these cases. People are MAD! And rightly so.

There is talk that a building could not go up in flames in 7 minutes by the protesters. Could the police have been behind that fire? I don’t know, but I am 100% behind defending the protesters.

The systemic racism in this country is absolutely appalling. When my friends tell me they are terrified for their teenage sons to start driving, to walk down the street, to go ANYWHERE or do ANYTHING because they could be next. This is WRONG!

ETA: I have personally been involved in Black lives matter protests in Portland where the police came in and turned a peaceful protest violent.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members