MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the complaint charging ex-Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin with murder of George Floyd
27 CR 20 12646 Complaint

Read the complaint charging Derek Chauvin with murder of George Floyd
View attachment 249120

There you go. . . two things I mentioned we'd likely hear about:
"If you can talk, you can breathe"
"Underlying conditions."

I wonder, if Mr Floyd had not informed the perpetrator that he was struggling to breathe, would the perpetrator have defended his homicidal actions by saying: "he never said anything about being in distress"

IMO
edit: original message for context
MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Last edited:
I understand your emotions. Everyone here has been very emotional about George's senseless murder.

In fact since it happened I havent seen one person in the media or in my own personal life who hasn't been highly upset seeing such a terrible injustice.

All I have seen ...no matter their race or even political affiliation are sickened, and outraged by this senseless murder. Everyone who's seen it has demanded the excop be arrested, and charged with murder. Many who have proclaimed that justice must be done have been seasoned police officers themselves of all races.

However I am not ashamed I am a white woman. I have nothing to be ashamed of since I have lived a long life always being kind, and respectful to all others of all races.

No one who has never harmed another soul of any race shouldn't ever apologize simply because they happen to be of the same race as this killer excop who cruelly, and inhumanely took George's life from him. Respectfully that just doesn't make any sense. I know far more kind, good, moral, and decent people of all races than there are bad ones. Our country is filled with these kind of people of all races. Single bad acts committed by individuals of any race doesnt define all others as being the same. MLK even stressed this. He knew we are defined by what each of us do in our lives. The innocent shouldn't ever feel ashamed or quilty for something they did not do nor never would do.

It's what SillyBilly just warned us about when they cautioned painting all LE with the same wide brush accusing them all as being the same is off limits.

That would be as foolish, and baseless as me painting all AAs as the exact same or any other race for that matter. No one should ever be identified simply because of what race they happened to be or where they may live, etc.

I am very proud to be white, and how I've treated all others all of my life.

None of us are identified by race, or some imaginary identity box. We all are individuals with individual moral compasses, and each human has their own thought processes. We are as individual as all human beings are .....the way God intended us all to be. That is why we arent clones of each other.

So I'm not ashamed for my race. I have no reason to be. It is what it is. However I am appalled by the criminal behavior committed against George just like I always am appalled, and sickened when any victim's life is taken away by cruel uncaring murder suspects. Justice is for ALL, and in every case I've followed here since 2004 I have made it profoundly clear justice must be served.

I've followed hundreds or perhaps thousands of cases for decades involving murdered victims of all races, and suspects of all races. In each one I prayed for justice to be done just like I have prayed for George, and his shattered family to receive justice.

Jmhoo

Thank you OBE, and I always enjoy and respect your posts. You are right. I will try to check my emotion here. My gut reaction was that this heinous brutality and murder may have been, in part, racially motivated. But I do not know that - and it is wrong to assume so. This is not about black, white, or even blue. All humans deserve to be treated with dignity.

I appreciate your response and I considered editing or deleting mine, but I think there is more value to letting it all stand here. It’s raw and real. And together we learn.

He had aid from the EMS, information and link.

FD report: George Floyd was 'pulseless, unresponsive' in ambulance

Full report at link. This is a summary.

Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) report states that George Floyd was unresponsive and had no pulse when its crew responded to assist EMS in transporting him after his arrest.

The report states that MFD's Engine 17 was started "code-two" to assist EMS, which was later updated to "code-three," and that before arriving at the initial scene, the crew was only told Floyd had trauma to his mouth.

When the crew arrived, they attempted to locate Floyd and were unable to get clear information on his location from officers or bystanders outside, according to the report. They went inside a nearby store where an officer told them Hennepin County Medical Center medics had taken the patient in an ambulance and relocated from the scene.

Crewmembers also spoke with an off-duty firefighter at the scene who told them they had seen Floyd go from struggling to unresponsive while handcuffed and restrained by officers. They then received a notification that the medics needed them "code-three" and they met with medics a couple of blocks away.

Two MFD crewmembers went into the ambulance where medics were using a LUCAS chest compression device on an "unresponsive, pulseless" Floyd. The MFD members took over ventilation and helped prepare IV and medications, then accompanied medics to the stabilization room at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The report states that "medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor." The report indicates that Floyd's condition did not change following the shock.

MFD crewmembers then helped bring Floyd into the stabilization room and continued ventilation until relieved by ER staff.

Floyd died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police; according to the police department, he was stopped on suspicion of forgery and resisted arrest. In a widely-circulated bystander video of the arrest, an officer can be seen kneeling on Floyd's neck as he says he cannot breathe. The four officers involved in the arrest have been fired from the police department.

Floyd's death sparked massive protests, during which five people were shot, one fatally. Fires also broke out during the protests.
Thanks for summarizing all that! I was mainly referring to the officers on the scene, who did nothing to try to save his life. I had not read about the paramedics and the confusion about what was communicated to them. Sounds like they tried every attempt to save his life both in the ambulance and at the hospital.

It's unfortunate that they were told he had trauma to his mouth and were not informed that he had gone more than three minutes without a pulse. That's why I pointed out that the officers already knew he was dead. I guess I just assumed they had given paramedics accurate information about his status.

Imo

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933248/27-CR-20-12646-Complaint.pdf
[Bold and some comments/questions by me]

As Officer Lane began speaking with Mr. Floyd, he pulled his gun
out and pointed it at Mr. Floyd’s open window and directed Mr. Floyd to show his hands. When Mr. Floyd
put his hands in the steering wheel, Lane put his gun back in its holster.

[Things started off badly]

While Officer Kueng was speaking with the front seat passenger, Officer Lane ordered Mr. Floyd out of the
car, put his hands on Mr. Floyd, and pulled him out of the car. Officer Lane handcuffed Mr. Floyd. Mr. Floyd
actively resisted being handcuffed.

Once handcuffed, Mr. Floyd became compliant and walked with Officer Lane to the sidewalk and sat on the
ground at Officer Lane’s direction. In a conversation that lasted just under two minutes, Officer Lang asked
Mr. Floyd for his name and identification. Officer Lane asked Mr. Lloyd if he was “on anything” and
explained that he was arresting Mr. Lloyd for passing counterfeit currency.

Officers Kueng and Lane stood Mr. Floyd up and attempted to walk Mr. Floyd to their squad car (MPD 320)
at 8:14 p.m. Mr. Floyd stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic.

MPD Officers Derek Chauvin (the defendant) and Tou Thoa then arrived in a separate squad car.
The officers made several attempts to get Mr. Floyd in the backseat of squad 320 from the driver’s side.
Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers by intentionally falling down, saying
he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still. Mr. Floyd is over six feet tall and weighs more than
200 pounds.

While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe. The
defendant went to the passenger side and tried to get Mr. Floyd into the car from that side and Lane and
Kueng assisted.

[Are they are setting this up to be a health issue of GF?]

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd
went to the ground face down and still handcuffed. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back and Lane held his legs. The
defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck. Mr. Floyd said, “I can’t breathe”
multiple times and repeatedly said, “Mama” and “please,” as well. The defendant and the other two officers
stayed in their positions.

[If GF was IN THE CAR, why did DC remove him from the car?]

The officers said, “You are talking fine” to Mr. Floyd as he continued to move back and forth. Lane asked,
“should we roll him on his side?” and the defendant said, “No, staying put where we got him.” Officer Lane
said, “I am worried about excited delirium or whatever.” The defendant said, “That’s why we have him on his
stomach.” None of the three officers moved from their positions.

[I still don't understand what the officers were trying to accomplish here. What were they waiting for?]

BWC video shows Mr. Floyd continue to move and breathe. At 8:24:24, Mr. Floyd stopped moving. At
8:25:31 the video appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak. Lane said, “want to roll him on
his side.” Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and said, “I couldn’t find one.” None of the
officers moved from their positions.

At 8:27:24, the defendant removed his knee from Mr. Floyd’s neck. An ambulance and emergency medical
personnel arrived, the officers placed Mr. Floyd on a gurney, and the ambulance left the scene. Mr. Floyd
was pronounced dead at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd’s autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full
report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed
no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation.
Mr. Floyd had
underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The
combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any
potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

[IMO this is the key to why they have charged him with only 3rd degree - "combined effects"]

The defendant had his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total. Two minutes and 53
seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive. Police are trained that this type of restraint with a
subject in a prone position is inherently dangerous.

I anticipate were going to see contradicting stories as this goes to trial, which will take a lonnng time for them all and this will get lost if not there in a media thread.

Can someone bump the media thread for this as I cannot find... TIA

One of the early reports published was from the EMS. They moved him a couple of blocks probably because the scene where he went down was becoming unruly. One shock was delivered, if I recall correctly. He was probably down too long at that point. The killer and his team should have rendered assistance. Full Stop.

FD report: George Floyd was 'pulseless, unresponsive' in ambulance

Full report at link. This is a summary.

Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) report states that George Floyd was unresponsive and had no pulse when its crew responded to assist EMS in transporting him after his arrest.

The report states that MFD's Engine 17 was started "code-two" to assist EMS, which was later updated to "code-three," and that before arriving at the initial scene, the crew was only told Floyd had trauma to his mouth.

When the crew arrived, they attempted to locate Floyd and were unable to get clear information on his location from officers or bystanders outside, according to the report. They went inside a nearby store where an officer told them Hennepin County Medical Center medics had taken the patient in an ambulance and relocated from the scene.

Crewmembers also spoke with an off-duty firefighter at the scene who told them they had seen Floyd go from struggling to unresponsive while handcuffed and restrained by officers. They then received a notification that the medics needed them "code-three" and they met with medics a couple of blocks away.

Two MFD crewmembers went into the ambulance where medics were using a LUCAS chest compression device on an "unresponsive, pulseless" Floyd. The MFD members took over ventilation and helped prepare IV and medications, then accompanied medics to the stabilization room at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The report states that "medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor." The report indicates that Floyd's condition did not change following the shock.

MFD crewmembers then helped bring Floyd into the stabilization room and continued ventilation until relieved by ER staff.

Floyd died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police; according to the police department, he was stopped on suspicion of forgery and resisted arrest. In a widely-circulated bystander video of the arrest, an officer can be seen kneeling on Floyd's neck as he says he cannot breathe. The four officers involved in the arrest have been fired from the police department.

Floyd's death sparked massive protests, during which five people were shot, one fatally. Fires also broke out during the protests.

Thank you. Poor, George, it seems all systems failed him.

Moo...

I've only seen the one posted here
he resisted a few times according to the report posted upthread
Yes, apparantly they tried several times to put him in the police car but he told them he was claustrophobic and couldn't breathe. He apparently resisted by refusing to get in the car and by falling down.

It was at that point they should have called for medical assistance instead of forcing him to the ground, kneeling on his neck and mocking him for saying he couldn't breathe.

That he resisted several times is not the issue, what is relevant is that he was senselessly murdered.

Imo

Yes, apparantly they tried several times to put him in the police car but he told them he was claustrophobic and couldn't breathe.

It was at that point they should have called for medical assistance instead of forcing him to the ground, kneeling on his neck and mocking him for saying he couldn't breathe.

That he resisted several times is not the issue, what is relevant is that he was senselessly murdered.

Imo

I didn't say it was an issue but it's important to have the facts and some of those facts may be on unreleased video footage.

There you go. . . two things I mentioned we'd likely hear about:
"If you can talk, you can breathe"
"Underlying conditions."

I wonder, if Mr Floyd had not informed the perpetrator that he was struggling to breathe, would the perpetrator have defended his homicidal actions by saying: "he never said anything about being in distress"

IMO

RBBM: Yea, this is a fallacy.

So something else I’m not advocating:

Hypothetically, a person puts a plastic bag over their head. They can still talk, even though they are going to slowly suffocate

They can talk, even though they can’t get adequate oxygen, at least until loss of consciousness.

The carotid compression meant his blood flow was obstructed, causing low oxygen saturation, Brain death, organ failure. Etc I’m sure he was gasping for air because his body was literally dying for oxygen

The officers who stood by, watched this, and said nothing, should also be charged with something.

I am tired of people who see outrageous behavior and just ignore it. That is a cancer in our society. And demonstrated that these officers knew very well how they would have been treated by everyone, including supervision, if they had intervened.

George would be alive, and no one would have heard about this situation. But, I can tell you now, that if an officer had intervened, that officer would end up with the worst shifts, constant subtle bullying. That person's life at work would have been over.

That is the truth. Which is why they ignored the situation and said nothing.

I didn't say it was an issue but it's important to have the facts and some of those facts may be on unreleased video footage.
Yes, I'm sure there is plenty of video evidence that will support the charges. You responded to my OP answering your question about his resisting arrest pointing out that he actually resisted a few times so I thought you were questioning or pointing out a reason for how many times he resisted.

Since he wasn't aggressive or threatening, I don't think it will be a big factor in the case. It may help to show that their actions were not warranted or that they made poor choices, though.

Imo

An idea I came across on Twitter -

In cases like this where police officers have used excessive force and have caused death/injury - make the individual police officers personally responsible; no union lawyers defending them, take away their pensions, go after them financially, even if it means taking away their property, investments, savings and so on as much as possible.

It was pointed out that in the end, taxpayers often end up paying for these bad apples when cases eventually get settled and cities and police departments are sued. Go after the bad cop's assets first and make them pay for what they've done personally.

An idea I came across on Twitter -

In cases like this where police officers have used excessive force and have caused death/injury - make the individual police officers personally responsible; no union lawyers defending them, take away their pensions, go after them financially, even if it means taking away their property, investments, savings and so on as much as possible.

It was pointed out that in the end, taxpayers often end up paying for these bad apples when cases eventually get settled and cities and police departments are sued. Go after the bad cop's assets first and make them pay for what they've done personally.

It's already hard enough to find good officers because it's such a dangerous profession for such low pay. IMO, this would make it even harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand