MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree with 3rd degree murder.

I feel he should be charged with first degree or no less than second degree murder.

The other officer checked George's pulse, and he had none, and told the suspect yet he still kept his knee on his neck.

No way should this be manslaughter. Imo the facts as known doesnt support the lower charge.

Jmhoo

I see what you mean but would need to see the wording for 1st and 2nd degree to decide if I agree

I think it was simply the horrific video of that cop with his knee on Lloyd's neck for 9 minutes. And the cop had sort of a nonchalant look on his face while Lloyd was pleading with him.
Yes, I think this case is different because the public was able to view a man in agony, gasping for breath as he lay facedown and helpless on the ground. Then to see him keep kneeling on his neck after he appeared to be dead for another 3 minutes or so while the officers showed no concern whatsoever. They never checked his pulse or tried to resuscitate him, even with bystanders begging him to stop.

Last edited:
page 2 the statement reads Mr. Floyd said he couldn’t breathe. (This was prior to restraint)

of course it made perfect sense to further exacerbate his breathing issues by kneeling on his neck/full weight, for 8-9 minutes. (Angry sarcasm)

Especially as he had described that he was claustrophobic. They should have called an ambulance when he said he couldn't breathe when he was standing. The stress could have caused a heart attack, asthma attack, or other medical condition. It is a standard thing in NYC---you say you have a medical issue an ambulance is called. Letecia Stauch said she was having a medical issue and was transported to the hospital.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this case is different because the public was able to view a man in agony, gasping for breath as he lay facedown and helpless on the ground. Then to see him keep kneeling on his neck after he appeared to be dead for another 6 minutes or so while the officers showed no concern whatsoever. They never checked his pulse or tried to resuscitate him, even with bystanders begging him to stop.

They did check his pulse according to the warrant. HE didn't have one. But they did not move.
From the warrant:
8:25:31 the video appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak. Lane said, “want to roll him on

his side.” Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and said, “I couldn’t find one.” None of the
officers moved from their positions.

And, it is unfortunate that we don't see every situation that ends in death.

Why did this happen?

Because the video is so bad. Go to the beginning of the thread and view WSers reactions. They are illuminating to me - all the things that were wrong, just listed out, from the "triumphalism" of the officer's expression to the all sign of distress from the victim.

That video has been studied like the Zapruder film by the black community. They probably saw even more details. Plus, there are indications that the situation was exacerbated by the authorities.

It's the worse video of its kind that I have ever seen.

RSBM The NYPD alert advises officers that the Brooklyn man named Khaalid Anderson, 26, issued a threat on social media, saying, “Cop killings are gonna be a thing... somebody gotta die.”

It perhaps was an opinion, and he would have been ok if he ended the sentence with a MOO as we do?

Without context, that's how I see it... just an opinion that many have here and is not an illegal threat that he posted on social media. Again, without context I would think that comment and opinion is widespread?

MOO

Read the complaint charging ex-Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin with murder of George Floyd
27 CR 20 12646 Complaint

Read the complaint charging Derek Chauvin with murder of George Floyd
View attachment 249120
According to the report, Floyd told the police officers he could not breath two minutes before they even put him on the ground.

After he stopped breathing and they found no pulse, he continued to apply pressure to his neck for almost three minutes! After he was dead.

His last words were "I can't breathe" and he kept repeating "mama" and "please" several times.

The event lasted 8 minutes and 46 seconds.

No wonder the public is enraged! This could have been avoided. He should be charged with murder with intent and premeditation instead of third degree murder. He had several minutes to make a choice, and he chose to keep kneeling, knowing full well there was a chance he would kill him.

Imo

There is a longer video but only a screen shot at link. Click on ‘Screenshot NBC News/YouTube’ it will take you to the video.

I can't imagine being the two individuals that were with him when he was taken out of the car. Were they under arrest at the time and didn't witness such when he was taken across the street?

wow cpr for those 2 minutes could have saved him

I know, even when LE didn't start CPR, EMS should have. EMS could have assessed him, started CPR, shocked his heart, etc. I'm stunned no emergency aid was rendered by EMS.

Edited to add...not blaming or judging, just trying to figure out why no one helped Floyd.
Moo

Last edited:
Especially as he had described that he was claustrophobic. They should have called an ambulance when he said he couldn't breathe when he was standing. The stress could have caused a heart attack, asthma attack, or other medical condition. It is a standard thing in NYC---you say you have a medical issue an ambulance is called. Letecia Stauch said she was having a medical issue and was transported to the hospital.
Yes, as soon as he said he couldn't breathe they should have called for medical assistance. There is no excuse for their actions.

I know, even when LE didn't start CPR, EMS should have. EMS could have assessed him, started CPR, shocked his heart, etc. I'm stunned no emergency aid was rendered by EMS.
Moo

One of the early reports published was from the EMS. They moved him a couple of blocks probably because the scene where he went down was becoming unruly. One shock was delivered, if I recall correctly. He was probably down too long at that point. The killer and his team should have rendered assistance. Full Stop.

FD report: George Floyd was 'pulseless, unresponsive' in ambulance

Full report at link. This is a summary.

Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) report states that George Floyd was unresponsive and had no pulse when its crew responded to assist EMS in transporting him after his arrest.

The report states that MFD's Engine 17 was started "code-two" to assist EMS, which was later updated to "code-three," and that before arriving at the initial scene, the crew was only told Floyd had trauma to his mouth.

When the crew arrived, they attempted to locate Floyd and were unable to get clear information on his location from officers or bystanders outside, according to the report. They went inside a nearby store where an officer told them Hennepin County Medical Center medics had taken the patient in an ambulance and relocated from the scene.

Crewmembers also spoke with an off-duty firefighter at the scene who told them they had seen Floyd go from struggling to unresponsive while handcuffed and restrained by officers. They then received a notification that the medics needed them "code-three" and they met with medics a couple of blocks away.

Two MFD crewmembers went into the ambulance where medics were using a LUCAS chest compression device on an "unresponsive, pulseless" Floyd. The MFD members took over ventilation and helped prepare IV and medications, then accompanied medics to the stabilization room at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The report states that "medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor." The report indicates that Floyd's condition did not change following the shock.

MFD crewmembers then helped bring Floyd into the stabilization room and continued ventilation until relieved by ER staff.

Floyd died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police; according to the police department, he was stopped on suspicion of forgery and resisted arrest. In a widely-circulated bystander video of the arrest, an officer can be seen kneeling on Floyd's neck as he says he cannot breathe. The four officers involved in the arrest have been fired from the police department.

Floyd's death sparked massive protests, during which five people were shot, one fatally. Fires also broke out during the protests.

It perhaps was an opinion, and he would have been ok if he ended the sentence with a MOO as we do?

Without context, that's how I see it... just an opinion that many have here and is not an illegal threat that he posted on social media. Again, without context I would think that comment and opinion is widespread?

MOO
Absolutely, I mentioned to my husband that there’s going to be a time a bystander pulls out a gun, rather than a camera.

Note: this is the last thing I want. I’m not advocating for this. Wishing it. Etc

But it’s almost inevitable, just in light of building frustration and the overall stats on gun ownership/possession.

Anyway, it’s like when someone says “things can’t get possibly get any worse” followed by the proverbial “hold my beer” - it can indeed get worse.

edit: typo fix

George Floyd Left a Gospel Legacy in Houston
Before moving to Minneapolis for a job opportunity through a Christian work program, the 46-year-old spent almost his entire life in the historically black Third Ward, where he was called “Big Floyd” and regarded as an “OG,” a de-facto community leader and elder statesmen, his ministry partners say.
read:George Floyd Left a Gospel Legacy in Houston

Corey Paul on Twitter

Moo
I think they knew he was already dead, but the fact that not one of them did not even attempt to resuscitate him is unfathomable. I think the officer knew full well he was dead while he kneeled on him those extra few minutes. Even the bystanders knew he had killed him. Imo

wow I didn’t know that. EMS should be charged too

See my post #515. Aid was rendered. LUCAS device was being used. Shock delivered. I printed the summary but the full report is at the link. IMO, EMS did what they could as Mr. Floyd was down for more than 2 minutes with no pulse and no aid rendered by those who were there when he was rendered unconscious and non-breathing by their actions.

I think they knew he was already dead, but the fact that not one of them did not even attempt to resuscitate him is unfathomable. I think the officer knew full well he was dead while he kneeled on him those extra few minutes. Even the bystanders knew he had killed him. Imo

He had aid from the EMS, information and link.

FD report: George Floyd was 'pulseless, unresponsive' in ambulance

Full report at link. This is a summary.

Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) report states that George Floyd was unresponsive and had no pulse when its crew responded to assist EMS in transporting him after his arrest.

The report states that MFD's Engine 17 was started "code-two" to assist EMS, which was later updated to "code-three," and that before arriving at the initial scene, the crew was only told Floyd had trauma to his mouth.

When the crew arrived, they attempted to locate Floyd and were unable to get clear information on his location from officers or bystanders outside, according to the report. They went inside a nearby store where an officer told them Hennepin County Medical Center medics had taken the patient in an ambulance and relocated from the scene.

Crewmembers also spoke with an off-duty firefighter at the scene who told them they had seen Floyd go from struggling to unresponsive while handcuffed and restrained by officers. They then received a notification that the medics needed them "code-three" and they met with medics a couple of blocks away.

Two MFD crewmembers went into the ambulance where medics were using a LUCAS chest compression device on an "unresponsive, pulseless" Floyd. The MFD members took over ventilation and helped prepare IV and medications, then accompanied medics to the stabilization room at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The report states that "medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor." The report indicates that Floyd's condition did not change following the shock.

MFD crewmembers then helped bring Floyd into the stabilization room and continued ventilation until relieved by ER staff.

Floyd died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police; according to the police department, he was stopped on suspicion of forgery and resisted arrest. In a widely-circulated bystander video of the arrest, an officer can be seen kneeling on Floyd's neck as he says he cannot breathe. The four officers involved in the arrest have been fired from the police department.

Floyd's death sparked massive protests, during which five people were shot, one fatally. Fires also broke out during the protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand