MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to negate the victim, or support the perpetrator.

The officer who shot and killed a disabled man, and shot both of his parents at Costco was never charged. No riots.

Ms. Justine, from Australia was shot and killed in Minneapolis. No riots.

Riots are not an effective form of getting attention.

The officer who shot and killed a man in his apartment in Dallas, TX, no riots. There were peaceful demonstrations.

Why did this happen?

Peacefully taking a knee on national tv didn't work. Just the opposite, it was vilified. So no protests don't work, peaceful protests don't work, what's left? Here we are again. What will it take?

An idea I came across on Twitter -

In cases like this where police officers have used excessive force and have caused death/injury - make the individual police officers personally responsible; no union lawyers defending them, take away their pensions, go after them financially, even if it means taking away their property, investments, savings and so on as much as possible.

It was pointed out that in the end, taxpayers often end up paying for these bad apples when cases eventually get settled and cities and police departments are sued. Go after the bad cop's assets first and make them pay for what they've done personally.
I've always wondered why taxpayers get left holding the bag when officers screw up. Why can't police be bonded and insured?

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted: Derek Chauvin: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

..,“the officer, now identified as Chauvin, has his knee on the man’s neck against a squad car, as Floyd continues saying he can’t breathe. There is a second officer standing nearby at the scene and a third next to Chauvin, and bystanders grow increasingly distressed in the video at what they are watching.

“Why you got him down, man. Let him breathe at least, man,” says one bystander to the officers.

Floyd repeats again, several times, “I can’t breathe.” He added, “I can’t move. … My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Everything hurts. Please, please.”

“His nose is bleeding, c’mon now,” says a passerby. “You’ve got your knee on his neck,” says another bystander.“...

Good lord, I can’t

Attachments

• 60D5F49B-EB7D-482E-BA84-800366B775EA.jpeg
    60D5F49B-EB7D-482E-BA84-800366B775EA.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 35
RBBM: Yea, this is a fallacy.

So something else I’m not advocating:

Hypothetically, a person puts a plastic bag over their head. They can still talk, even though they are going to slowly suffocate

They can talk, even though they can’t get adequate oxygen, at least until loss of consciousness.

The carotid compression meant his blood flow was obstructed, causing low oxygen saturation, Brain death, organ failure. Etc I’m sure he was gasping for air because his body was literally dying for oxygen
It's such a moronic, dangerous piece of conventional wisdom. Death by strangulation is more often caused by the vascular obstruction than compression of the windpipe. And its a catch 22. If you don't vocally protest then you must be fine and if you do then you must be fine as well. He was unconscious for long time before Chauvin removed his knee so Floyd talking or not had nothing to do with it.

I understand your emotions. Everyone here has been very emotional about George's senseless murder.

In fact since it happened I havent seen one person in the media or in my own personal life or here who hasn't been highly upset seeing such a terrible injustice.

All I have seen ...no matter their race or even political affiliation are sickened, and outraged by this senseless murder. Everyone who's seen it has demanded the excop be arrested, and charged with murder. Many who have proclaimed that justice must be done have been seasoned police officers themselves of all races, but the majority I've seen have been white police officers.

However I am not ashamed I am a white woman. I have nothing to be ashamed of since I have lived a long life always being kind, and respectful to all others of all races.

No one who has never harmed another soul of any race shouldn't ever apologize simply because they happen to be of the same race as this killer excop who cruelly, and inhumanely took George's life from him. Respectfully that just doesn't make any sense. I know far more kind, good, moral, and decent people of all races than there are bad ones. Our country is filled with these kind of people of all races.

Single bad acts committed by individuals of any race doesnt define all others as being the same. MLK even stressed this. He knew we are defined by what each of us do in our lives. The innocent shouldn't ever feel ashamed or quilty for something they did not do nor never would do.

It's what SillyBilly just warned us about when they cautioned painting all LE with the same wide brush accusing them all as being the same is off limits. 99% are nothing like this excop.

That would be as foolish, and baseless as me painting all AAs as the exact same or any other race for that matter. No one should ever be identified simply because of what race they happened to be or where they may live, etc.

I am very proud to be white, and how I've treated all others all of my life.

None of us are identified by race, or some imaginary identity box. We all are individuals with individual moral compasses, and each human has their own thought processes. We are as individual as all human beings are .....the way God intended us all to be. That is why we arent clones of each other. We were never meant to be the same as all other human beings.

So I'm not ashamed for my race. I have no reason to be. It is what it is. However I am appalled by the criminal behavior committed against George just like I always am appalled, and sickened when any victim's life is taken away by cruel uncaring murder suspects. Justice is for ALL, and in every case I've followed here since 2004 I have made it profoundly clear justice must be served.

I've followed hundreds or perhaps thousands of cases for decades involving murdered victims of all races, and suspects of all races. In each one I prayed for justice to be done just like I have prayed for George, and his shattered family to receive justice.

Jmhoo

Very well said.

I've always wondered why taxpayers get left holding the bag when officers screw up. Why can't police be bonded and insured?

Yes, and couldn't something be worked out where the good officers, (and most are) be rewarded - ie - lower insurance rates? (I'm just spitballing here), protect them if they're involved in a justified shooting? They have to pay for the idiots and murderers through higher union dues, their own tax dollars etc...

Edited to add - I know that in the railway industry or instance, an engineer involved in a crossing fatality isn't charged personally UNLESS he or she didn't have the headlights on, ring the bell/blow the whistle. If they followed all protocol, they can not be sued personally, but if they violated laws they can be.

Last edited:

They are. Insurance paid for Ferguson's Michael Brown settlement. That's the city, but the police are typically insured through risk pools.

Michael Brown's family received $1.5 million settlement with Ferguson

The insurance company for the city of Ferguson, Missouri, paid $1.5 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Michael Brown's parents, the city attorney said Friday.

Because the officers are public servants and it's our tax dollars paying their salaries.

I've been trying to follow this case and I can only describe it as bizarre, horrific, almost like a movie.

The only solution to the problem is to raise the bar (standards) and provide better vetting to those who enter police academy.

Because this dumbing down of police academy graduates clearly is not working.

I just saw this--it's enraging. Is this the same police force that trained Mohamed Noor?

Now, THAT was a case of justified conviction. He had no business being on the police force.

Several years ago, there was a mixed black/Hispanic police officer who fatally shot a disabled white man in his 60s, and the reason you didn't hear about it (and I can't even find a link about it!) is that this was also a justified shooting. There were witnesses, and the man was extremely dangerous.

This is so heartbreaking and devastating. Two wrongs don't make a right tho. I am devastated that people are destroying people's lives that had nothing to do with the situation. Volilent behavior is the way to respond to a heart wrenching situation. I understand that people are fed up. What did the workers at Target do him nothing but they don't have a Job to go to anymore. I believe most are outraged but I think some just want to act foolish. The voice of the masses will be heard in many different platforms. I don't understand why tearing others hard work or dreams is going to fix. How many more life's will be lost. It takes the focus off of Justice For George Flyod. The true victim is not being shown respect or his family. Me personally would much rather say Look at how everyone stood together for Justice and change. To many ways of making a difference without destroying others lives. Taking someone else child from the world through volilent crime behavior. I know that people take different views on life but I just can't grasp how this behavior is going to do nothing but cause more heartache. So saddening that now others are in danger.

Is there a source for this? It just seems odd. I know a lot of small business owners- mainly immigrants. I cant see any of them agreeing that their businesses needed to burned and looted as a form of protest.

In short, this smells like propaganda.

From KMSP-TV Minneapolis-St. Paul

Businesses dealing with aftermath of rioting, looting in Minneapolis' Uptown neighborhood overnight

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933248/27-CR-20-12646-Complaint.pdf
[Bold and some comments/questions by me]

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd went to the ground face down and still handcuffed.

^^snipped for brevity.

Now that it’s known that GF was inside the squad car, has anyone heard if there is police video from inside the car? Would that be typical?

..and thank you CrimeDawg123 for sharing the document. ETA: Looks like SDS71 shared the doc originally.. thanks to both!

Last edited:
This is so heartbreaking and devastating. Two wrongs don't make a right tho. I am devastated that people are destroying people's lives that had nothing to do with the situation. Volilent behavior is the way to respond to a heart wrenching situation. I understand that people are fed up. What did the workers at Target do him nothing but they don't have a Job to go to anymore. I believe most are outraged but I think some just want to act foolish. The voice of the masses will be heard in many different platforms. I don't understand why tearing others hard work or dreams is going to fix. How many more life's will be lost. It takes the focus off of Justice For George Flyod. The true victim is not being shown respect or his family. Me personally would much rather say Look at how everyone stood together for Justice and change. To many ways of making a difference without destroying others lives. Taking someone else child from the world through volilent crime behavior. I know that people take different views on life but I just can't grasp how this behavior is going to do nothing but cause more heartache. So saddening that now others are in danger.

someone on my FB friend list grew up there
her family have lost two small businesses

RBBM: Yea, this is a fallacy.

So something else I’m not advocating:

Hypothetically, a person puts a plastic bag over their head. They can still talk, even though they are going to slowly suffocate

They can talk, even though they can’t get adequate oxygen, at least until loss of consciousness.

The carotid compression meant his blood flow was obstructed, causing low oxygen saturation, Brain death, organ failure. Etc I’m sure he was gasping for air because his body was literally dying for oxygen
That's what I think although the preliminary findings are out but not MOD.
There is also a photo out that shows 3 police holding Mr Floyd down. Chauvin had one knee on his neck and the other on his back.
I don't think anyone suspected that he was strangled (per preliminary ME report). Personally, I was worried about compression of a knee on the carotid arteries of each side of his twisted neck while his body was in the prone position where another knee was placing pressure on his back. Pressure on the back for prolonged periods doesn't allow the chest to inflate/expand in respiration. That can cause mechanical asphyxiation. So I'm guessing that the ME didn't find bruising or abrasion to the chest/back or petechiae in the eyes/face. I'm linking an article stating that there may be absent clinical findings from certain types of mechanical asphyxia. This study used infants and obviously Mr Floyd is an adult but you get the idea. Coronary artery disease and hypertension would further complicate the situation. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11394749/
safe_image.php

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members