MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that DR was a victim of someone in his family church growing up. His family is very active in the church and would likely have trusted their children to be alone with one or more pedophile priests. DR may have been a victim and as such can not have a normal sexual relationship with an adult. Perhaps he is reliving his childhood trauma as so many other victims do. Maybe he fantasized about grabbing one of these boys every time they came by in the daytime and when he came upon them that night, his impulses took over. I surmise that he was just done running when he saw the flashlights coming up the street and backed into the area by the mailbox (hence the noise that Aaron heard) Were the boys talking about how their parents were not home as they passed? DR saw his chance, ran up the driveway, grabbed a dark jacket, boots and his mom's black pantyhose along with a gun or what appeared to be a gun to be able to control the boys. He approached the boys as they came over the hill. Of course he disguised his voice, asked the boys their ages, picked out Jacob, told boys to run towards the woods and don't look back or I'll shoot and brought Jacob up to his house. As he was assaulting Jacob, he saw Kevin's car tearing up the driveway with his gf in the passenger seat. He figures it was just someone turning around and continues with Jacob. When he is done with Jacob he realizes he must find a way to divert attention from himself as this happened on his property. He decides to call 911 about the flashlights by his woodpile figuring a guilty man would not call the cops to his property (even though he already knew they were there) Then after hearing from 911 a boy was abducted he does what would appear to be the act of an innocent man, he goes down to talk to cops and offers to search his outbuildings (would a guy who just abducted a kid offer to help within 2 1/2 hours of the crime?) He does an obvious look around with his flashlight waving about to show cops that he is actively looking and then he 'goes to bed.' I believe he was up all night with Jacob for one reason or another. I believe he put Jacob in an instrument box or other large box (or the bloody trunk?) and then filled car with instrument boxes to cover. In the morning he drives up to the crime scene and walks under the tape (would a guilty man go face to face again with cops in the morning?) He then drives his box filled car around the crime scene and brings his boxes (with Jacob) to the school and puts them all in a logical spot, the music room. He knows that cops will come to the house and he needed time to get rid of Jacob's body, the school seemed obvious and he couldn't leave him in the car. When cops came to the school, they just looked in the car (no dogs) and they did not search the school. He kept Jacob at the school until the house was searched. Then he disposed of his body, I believe in the firepit and burned his clothes as well. This is my theory based on the evidence and DR's own words. I don't believe that any other person was involved. This was a last minute decision and the ultimate crime of opportunity.

I wonder if cops brought cadaver dogs to the old music room if there would be a 'hit?' I wonder if there was an odor coming from that room back in 1989 or if Jacob was moved prior to that happening.

PAT BROWN, CRIMINAL PROFILER: "Oh, I think, Jean, that they are going in the right direction. As I said before, I don`t believe this person had a vehicle because if he did, it would be much easier just to drive by and just grab one of them and keep going. He didn`t have to go through all that sticking them in a ditch stuff and don`t look back. I think he had his little own special ops thing going and his little fantasy."

"He`s out there like in Vietnam doing special ops. He saw the boys coming by, said, here`s a good victim, he waited for them to return. He stood there. He got rid of the two of them because he couldn`t handle all three, brought one back to wherever, and kept them there for as long as he wanted to continue what he was doing, until perhaps, some other people would be around and would find him there. So, I think they`re looking exactly the right place. We don`t know if that man on the farm is guilty of anything, but it`s the top place to look."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/28/ng.01.html

HEY YOU, great post thank you. I tend to agree with your theory. According to Joy's blog, the only detail he was unclear about was when he returned from his jog, and he tells Joy he assumed he would have showered and gotten something to eat. I can understand someone not being able to pinpoint an exact time, but to be vague about everything after that jog is too convenient. And I agree that the 911 call could have been strategic on his part.

How many days went by before the search of the home? Was it a normal school day at DRs school, or were the kids off from school like Jacob and his friends? Jacob was about 75 lbs. That would have been a very heavy chest/box to lug into the school. Certainly possible though.

What I have seen reading about crimes on here re children, the perp is often helpful. He aids in the search or attends vigils.

The perp in Jenise Wright attended the vigil. The perp with Alanna Gallagher attended the vigil and helped with distributing fliers.

What is truly amazing reading these crime issues is how LE has so much amazing information. It is a mind blower.

I am moving on from Jacob 's Hope to the need for Jacob 's Miracle.

What will it be? An attack of conscience from someone? An accidental discovery?

We need a miracle

HEY YOU, great post thank you. I tend to agree with your theory. According to Joy's blog, the only detail he was unclear about was when he returned from his jog, and he tells Joy he assumed he would have showered and gotten something to eat. I can understand someone not being able to pinpoint an exact time, but to be vague about everything after that jog is too convenient. And I agree that the 911 call could have been strategic on his part.

How many days went by before the search of the home? Was it a normal school day at DRs school, or were the kids off from school like Jacob and his friends? Jacob was about 75 lbs. That would have been a very heavy chest/box to lug into the school. Certainly possible though.

Music teachers that travel are always lugging stuff. I am sure he had access to a dolly of some sort

Exactly...he remembers coming from his jog and getting the mail but he 'assumes that he would have showered and gotten something to eat?' I think he was getting the mail when the boys started up the street. That is why he is clear on that fact. He was also clear on seeing flashlights by the woodpile and a car coming up the driveway with a girl in the passenger side. He has been telling the truth mixed in with misinformation. He seems to not be able to acknowledge the other side of himself (the one who committed the crime) and only acts as the persecuted POI. Watch the interviews...he appears to know something and pauses to come up with a different, acceptable answer at times.

Music teachers that travel are always lugging stuff. I am sure he had access to a dolly of some sort

Good point. I suppose he wouldn't have had to use his band room, either. He could have stored a large box/chest in an outside trailer for a period of time where there wouldn't be the traffic.

Exactly...he remembers coming from his jog and getting the mail but he 'assumes that he would have showered and gotten something to eat?' I think he was getting the mail when the boys started up the street. That is why he is clear on that fact. He was also clear on seeing flashlights by the woodpile and a car coming up the driveway with a girl in the passenger side. He has been telling the truth mixed in with misinformation. He seems to not be able to acknowledge the other side of himself (the one who committed the crime) and only acts as the persecuted POI. Watch the interviews...he appears to know something and pauses to come up with a different, acceptable answer at times.

Very true. And in the KSTP interview, he states that there could be a whole host of things in that ash pile, but interestingly only mentions bones (animal) and clothing.

Very true. And in the KSTP interview, he states that there could be a whole host of things in that ash pile, but interestingly only mentions bones (animal) and clothing.

Another truth without the whole truth. And who would put a dead animal into a fire? The smell would be awful. I never heard of such a thing. His parents must know after seeing these interviews. Are they scared? Ashamed of trusting priests who molested him and made him this way? Denial in these situations is very real. I have a close family member who was molested by a trusted adult. I did a ton of research on the subject to try to be sensitive and helpful to her. Women don't often turn around and abuse children after sexual abuse has happened to them but men do at a much higher rate. I feel very bad if this is the scenario. DR had his childhood and part of his very self taken from him at a young & vulnerable time of his life. The normal part of DR can't bring himself to acknowledge the other part of himself, it is too terrifying. I wish he would to give the Wetterlings closure and get the help that he needs.

All in my own opinion of course.

No way would DR come clean of his own volition -- jail would not suit him!! He has his carefully ordered life of marathons, teaching and hanging out at the farm.

Another truth without the whole truth. And who would put a dead animal into a fire? The smell would be awful. I never heard of such a thing. His parents must know after seeing these interviews. Are they scared? Ashamed of trusting priests who molested him and made him this way? Denial in these situations is very real. I have a close family member who was molested by a trusted adult. I did a ton of research on the subject to try to be sensitive and helpful to her. Women don't often turn around and abuse children after sexual abuse has happened to them but men do at a much higher rate. I feel very bad if this is the scenario. DR had his childhood and part of his very self taken from him at a young & vulnerable time of his life. The normal part of DR can't bring himself to acknowledge the other part of himself, it is too terrifying. I wish he would to give the Wetterlings closure and get the help that he needs.

All in my own opinion of course.

I wonder about his parents, too. DR said in the Julie Nelson interview he thought his dad was going to have a heart attack (2010 dig), his father got confrontational and things got physical, his mother was dragged out of the house onto the floor....they seem to be not only scared about what they might suspect about their son, but when things got real and the cops were at their door with digging equipment, they were in an outright panic. It was fight or flight. If they were 100% certain of their son's innocence, why did they have such an intensely ugly visceral response? They must have had doubts about him.

I believe that DR was a victim of someone in his family church growing up. His family is very active in the church and would likely have trusted their children to be alone with one or more pedophile priests. DR may have been a victim and as such can not have a normal sexual relationship with an adult. Perhaps he is reliving his childhood trauma as so many other victims do. Maybe he fantasized about grabbing one of these boys every time they came by in the daytime and when he came upon them that night, his impulses took over. I surmise that he was just done running when he saw the flashlights coming up the street and backed into the area by the mailbox (hence the noise that Aaron heard) Were the boys talking about how their parents were not home as they passed? DR saw his chance, ran up the driveway, grabbed a dark jacket, boots and his mom's black pantyhose along with a gun or what appeared to be a gun to be able to control the boys. He approached the boys as they came over the hill. Of course he disguised his voice, asked the boys their ages, picked out Jacob, told boys to run towards the woods and don't look back or I'll shoot and brought Jacob up to his house. As he was assaulting Jacob, he saw Kevin's car tearing up the driveway with his gf in the passenger seat. He figures it was just someone turning around and continues with Jacob. When he is done with Jacob he realizes he must find a way to divert attention from himself as this happened on his property. He decides to call 911 about the flashlights by his woodpile figuring a guilty man would not call the cops to his property (even though he already knew they were there) Then after hearing from 911 a boy was abducted he does what would appear to be the act of an innocent man, he goes down to talk to cops and offers to search his outbuildings (would a guy who just abducted a kid offer to help within 2 1/2 hours of the crime?) He does an obvious look around with his flashlight waving about to show cops that he is actively looking and then he 'goes to bed.' I believe he was up all night with Jacob for one reason or another. I believe he put Jacob in an instrument box or other large box (or the bloody trunk?) and then filled car with instrument boxes to cover. In the morning he drives up to the crime scene and walks under the tape (would a guilty man go face to face again with cops in the morning?) He then drives his box filled car around the crime scene and brings his boxes (with Jacob) to the school and puts them all in a logical spot, the music room. He knows that cops will come to the house and he needed time to get rid of Jacob's body, the school seemed obvious and he couldn't leave him in the car. When cops came to the school, they just looked in the car (no dogs) and they did not search the school. He kept Jacob at the school until the house was searched. Then he disposed of his body, I believe in the firepit and burned his clothes as well. This is my theory based on the evidence and DR's own words. I don't believe that any other person was involved. This was a last minute decision and the ultimate crime of opportunity.

I wonder if cops brought cadaver dogs to the old music room if there would be a 'hit?' I wonder if there was an odor coming from that room back in 1989 or if Jacob was moved prior to that happening.

Well, this is an odd position for me, but as much as I feel DR was involved somehow; either knows who did it, or helped cover up after the fact, I just don't see him hauling Jacob into his home, assaulting him - possibly all night, then hiding him in his trunk and driving right past LE in the morning to go stash Jacob at school. I agree that he acts totally odd and appears guilty of hiding something in all his interviews. The inappropriate giggling and making jokes about being a packrat just seems hinky to me. I do think he has changed his stories along the way, mostly about what cars he saw or didn't see that day and night. But I just can't picture him doing the actual assault, and hiding or disposing of Jacob. I have never met or even seen DR in person, or any of his family, in spite of living in the next town. And I really don't think I'm sticking my head in the sand ;) but it doesn't logically feel like the right answer to me. I think DR is more guilty of obfuscating than anything else. (Of course, I could be totally wrong, it's JMO).

I do think he has some sort of involvement. I can visualize him covering for a close friend or sibling who had done something very wrong. Maybe to keep his parents from finding out, maybe to save a close friend's job and help protect him. Possibly creating stories to cover up the facts because, after all, the damage was already done and maybe in his mind there was no bringing Jacob back home. (I'm not saying Jacob was necessarily killed, but there could be no bringing him back home if he could identify who took and/or assaulted him.) I tend to be an eternal optimist, and like Patty, I think Jacob could still be alive out there somewhere. But I feel we are closer to the right track when we look at someone DR knew very well - whether it be someone from St. John's, a local friend, or a relative. All just MO.

I wonder about his parents, too. DR said in the Julie Nelson interview he thought his dad was going to have a heart attack (2010 dig), his father got confrontational and things got physical, his mother was dragged out of the house onto the floor....they seem to be not only scared about what they might suspect about their son, but when things got real and the cops were at their door with digging equipment, they were in an outright panic. It was fight or flight. If they were 100% certain of their son's innocence, why did they have such an intensely ugly visceral response? They must have had doubts about him.

Exactly, if it were me I would say PLEASE let's find out what happened! Let's help this family and do what we must do to get to the truth. Also, I don't see ANY possible way for another person to be involved. If the perp was DR, he had 15-20 minutes tops to prepare and get into place after seeing boys. That window shrinks as boys get closer to Tom Thumb. It couldn't be anyone they saw after they left Tom Thumb as no cars passed them. The window of time shrinks the closer they get to Tom Thumb. It was purely a crime of opportunity and DR took it. Who else had the time to prepare, the perfect location, a bulky coat handy on a warm night and a black pair of pantyhose? Who else knew to tell the boys to run to the woods in the pitch black? Someone who lived near. Who else would not have to use a car? Who else had the nerve to be on a private driveway and be comfortable enough to kidnap a child from there not knowing who would be driving or walking down at any second? Who knew that nobody would be coming down that driveway and therefore they were safe from prying eyes while they kidnapped Jacob?

Well, this is an odd position for me, but as much as I feel DR was involved somehow; either knows who did it, or helped cover up after the fact, I just don't see him hauling Jacob into his home, assaulting him - possibly all night, then hiding him in his trunk and driving right past LE in the morning to go stash Jacob at school. I agree that he acts totally odd and appears guilty of hiding something in all his interviews. The inappropriate giggling and making jokes about being a packrat just seems hinky to me. I do think he has changed his stories along the way, mostly about what cars he saw or didn't see that day and night. But I just can't picture him doing the actual assault, and hiding or disposing of Jacob. I have never met or even seen DR in person, or any of his family, in spite of living in the next town. And I really don't think I'm sticking my head in the sand ;) but it doesn't logically feel like the right answer to me. I think DR is more guilty of obfuscating than anything else. (Of course, I could be totally wrong, it's JMO).

I do think he has some sort of involvement. I can visualize him covering for a close friend or sibling who had done something very wrong. Maybe to keep his parents from finding out, maybe to save a close friend's job and help protect him. Possibly creating stories to cover up the facts because, after all, the damage was already done and maybe in his mind there was no bringing Jacob back home. (I'm not saying Jacob was necessarily killed, but there could be no bringing him back home if he could identify who took and/or assaulted him.) I tend to be an eternal optimist, and like Patty, I think Jacob could still be alive out there somewhere. But I feel we are closer to the right track when we look at someone DR knew very well - whether it be someone from St. John's, a local friend, or a relative. All just MO.

Why keep clippings of Jacob? That is really weird to me.

And I,don't think he brought Jacob anywhere.

The cadaver dogs hitting on different things tells the story, IMHO

Exactly, if it were me I would say PLEASE let's find out what happened! Let's help this family and do what we must do to get to the truth. Also, I don't see ANY possible way for another person to be involved. If the perp was DR, he had 15-20 minutes tops to prepare and get into place after seeing boys. That window shrinks as boys get closer to Tom Thumb. It couldn't be anyone they saw after they left Tom Thumb as no cars passed them. The window of time shrinks the closer they get to Tom Thumb. It was purely a crime of opportunity and DR took it. Who else had the time to prepare, the perfect location, a bulky coat handy on a warm night and a black pair of pantyhose? Who else knew to tell the boys to run to the woods in the pitch black? Someone who lived near. Who else would not have to use a car? Who else had the nerve to be on a private driveway and be comfortable enough to kidnap a child from there not knowing who would be driving or walking down at any second? Who knew that nobody would be coming down that driveway and therefore they were safe from prying eyes while they kidnapped Jacob?

Who else? That's currently what LE is trying to find out.

The only person who could guess theyre coming back over the hill by themselves is someone who saw them going over it before hand. Well thats easy because its a cul de sac dead end, and dr is on that side. He disguised himself knowing he would possibly confront all 3 on the way back. He tfreatens to shoot if they look back because thats where he is taking jacob. The boys could have seen a vehicle better from the point of the abduction then if they had ran to the woods and looked back. It makes no sense.

The only person who could guess theyre coming back over the hill by themselves is someone who saw them going over it before hand. Well thats easy because its a cul de sac dead end, and dr is on that side. He disguised himself knowing he would possibly confront all 3 on the way back. He tfreatens to shoot if they look back because thats where he is taking jacob. The boys could have seen a vehicle better from the point of the abduction then if they had ran to the woods and looked back. It makes no sense.

To my knowledge no gun has ever been traced to DR, assuming the perp really had a gun.

To my knowledge no gun has ever been traced to DR, assuming the perp really had a gun.

Not sure what that means.

People don't have unregistered guns?

And he could have had anything in his hand and said it was a gun

To summarize the most popular theories thus far:

1. DR took Jacob and he did it without help. It was a crime of opportunity with no pre-planning.
2. " " He had been waiting for this opportunity to arise and had made a plan.
3. DR took Jacob along with another person. The other person then ferried Jacob away in a car sitting in a nearby location.
4. DR had a "friend" over who liked what he saw and decided to take advantage of the opportunity. DR went along with what was happening thus allowing him to say "I didn't do it." Question: did he really pass a polygraph or was it inconclusive?
5. DR saw the kids leaving on bikes, made a phone call to a "friend" who then came over with his usual bag of tricks (because he's done this before) and laid in wait like the predator he is. This "Friend" took Jacob away but then again where were the footprints if this scenario has any plausibility?
6. Neither DR nor a sex offender from the abbey took Jacob. It was someone else altogether.

Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member