MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand that I am not disagreeing with any of you, I am just pointing out the fact that 90% of the missing person "Last Place Seen" locations I have been called to were badly contaminated by Volunteer Fire Fighters, Police, Family and others. It has taken me hours in some cases to pick the proverbial "Fly S*** out of the Pepper" and find a print or a partial print that matches the shoe pattern of the missing person, then I have to do three more things, look at and measure the print to see if it is the correct size, the depth of the imprint matches the weight of the subject and that the wear patterns of the shoe shown in the print matches wear patterns on another pair of the subjects shoes. This is how I rule out that there are not more individuals wearing the same brand shoe....of course there are more things I look at, but these are the basics. I would say only in 10% or a little less, do I get an uncontaminated print field with say...only two or thee other prints from LE in it (because they know what to preserve). In 1980's, tracking was only just coming back into focus as a skill set having started back in 1975-77 or so. Most LE did not know what to look for, much less not to contaminate it. Oddly enough, they did know about tire tracks, but in general, not footprints. Sterns County LE may have known, but with the picture of the two officers (one kneeling) and looking at what is reported to be Jacobs prints, I can see a lot of tire prints and foot prints. There is another picture that stands out with plaster in a number of foot prints. It appears that some of these prints were run over by tires and there are a lot of other footprints. It's just the reality of the situation. I don't know that we can be 100% sure of what was found in that print field, what was collected as evidence by plaster and photograph and that 100% sure that Jacobs prints (if that's who's prints they are) were not faked as you aptly pointed out and forced me to reconsider as it is very unusual for someone to fake prints. I know one of the tire prints is from an older bias ply tire and somewhat narrow such as an older farm pickup, older jeep or old VW beetle and at least one heavy car with wider tires and more modern tires. I can see horse shoe prints and ATV (in this case ATC) tire prints. Without the original photographs, plaster casts and another pair of Jacobs shoes, there is little else I can do other than speculate and offer some scenarios for consideration. I wish to gosh I could do more.

My answers are based on if this happened on my street (10 houses) today. Maybe I will take a hit for this, but I'm giving an honest answer. None of the families socializes; we all have our lives and only wave at each other or infrequently have a short chat at the mailboxes.

If LE informed me a child was abducted at night from the end of my drive and the abductor had a gun, I would stay inside and lock my doors and windows. I would look out the window, then eventually go to sleep. Overhead helicopters provide light, but I would be concerned my outside presence would alert LE to my being the culprit. LE does tell persons to search their property, but not in the middle of the night, especially when LE is looking for a criminal.

This search ended around 3:00a, and the next morning all would be quiet when I left for work. Would I even know if the child had been found? How would my presence help? Should I lie and call in sick? If tape was at the end of my drive and an officer was stationed there, I would politely ask if I could be let out.

When I returned at the end of my work day, I would ask if the boy had been found but, most likely, would not go to the Wetterlings if I did not have a social relationship with them. Their house would probably be a hub of activity. (It is my understanding the Wetterling and Rassier families did not have a social relationship and probably had a waving one, as do the residents on my street.)

When LE came to my work place to question me, I would be suspicious that I was considered the abductor, and if I did not know the Wetterlings well, I would not know how they would react to me, knowing I was questioned. Maybe it would be better to stay away. I would, however, give a DNA and take a lie detector test.

If the abducted child was a son of a close friend or a close relative, I believe I would react differently, but I believe my reactions are the same as those of every family on my street. They would not go outside during an LE search, and I'm certain they would go to work the next day. They would only check their property during daylight hours.

Several years ago (suburban area), there was a criminal with a gun being chased (daylight) by LE. The culprit stole my neighbor's car from her drive, wrecked it, then fled (eventually caught). We were all told to stay inside when this was happening. The next spring I found the gun on my property. I wonder what could have happened had I had gone outside.

That was very honest of you. Taking this further, after years of not finding Jacob and Patty Wetterling hand writes and sends you a letter asking for information regarding what happened that night...would you reach out to her at that time?

And for the sake of argument, if you did run across crime scene tape at the end of your driveway with cops there the morning after the abduction, would you lift it up and cross it?

Also, let's say it was YOUR son abducted from the end of your neighbor's driveway. Would you think it strange that they just continued to wave at you and never ask about your son?

Joker

joker-card.jpg

humorist · comedian · comedienne · comic · wit · clown · card · jokester · jester · wisecracker · wag · prankster · practical joker · hoaxer · trickster

MonteCarlo-1978-400x300.jpg

The afternoon car that is possibly 100 percent responsible.

s-DAN-RASSIER-large.jpg

POI Daniel Rassier 2010 to present.

One of thr problems with this is that if DR is the culprit, his footprints would be all over and his scent would be everywhere. I am just guessing that the dogs used in the beginning were not cadaver dogs.

Jacob's footprints would stand out as they are the footprints of a child.

We do know that earlier that day there was a student that came for lessons.

We do not know if the student walked, was driven, or rode on some kind of form of transportation such as a bike or a horse. We do not know the age or sex of the student.

We know that DR has given reasons why his footprints would be fresh on the driveway. Running and getting mail.

I don't know about every teacher in the world, but I know about myself and my friends.

We care about our students deeply. There are situations we have cried about and not been able to sleep about.

DR taught students of that age.

It is hard to imagine that he could be so detached.

It also bothers me that a grown man does not have the social skills to even send a card of caring to a neighbor whose child is missing from his very driveway. Not a driveway somewhere else, but his driveway. I imagine the Wetterlings got thousands of cards.

I live in a neighborhood where most of the neighbors have lived for 15 to 40 years.

We do not socialize but wave or talk when we see each other on the road when walking.

I know if something happens, my neighobrs will help each other.

I have seen them pulling people out of the snowbank, for instance.

I continue to think of the neighbors that Sher knows that gave LE the keys to their property because they were searched so often.

That is the kind of thing that stands out to me. Those are the kind of neighbors I picture in that small area of St. Joe.

And not only that, having participated in searches, conferences and vigils, I can testify to the level of caring in the community . It was a time when people were pulling together and sacrificing time and money.

It was so intense. The billboards, the songs, the TV and radio, the newspaper articles, the vigils. The state was on the edge of our seats waiting for this child to be found and the monster exposed.

This was small town Minnesota. This simply did not happen here

Come on Trino, Shergal, thenotebook, jbrown, keephopealive, ThePhantom, Sasquatch, Camille Grace, Wisdom, Bessie and all regular posters on this forum.....what would each of you do?

I would be scared and afraid to contaminate the scene. I would stay inside and watch out the window. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep all night.

I am also nothing like DR in both personality and life circumstances. I also know what has become of this case after 25 years so I have that in hindsight as well.

I agree 100% that DR is strange and reacted strangely that night. However, I stand by my stance that the scene was contaminated and I still believe a vehicle was involved. You had dozens of people walking all over that driveway in the dark of night, most of whom had probably never been part of a scene or investigation like this one. Key evidence such as prints of both Jacob and the perp, as well as tire tracks, were not preserved. Period.

After 25 years and multiple searches of his house and property....he has not been charged or named a suspect. LE has obviously spent thousands of man hours trying to find evidence on him but nothing has come to fruition. That has to create a bit of doubt in your mind that maybe he's not the perp after all. That is why I am focusing my efforts on other potential perps. There are too many pervs that were creeping around that area at the time that seem to fit the MO much more than DR does.

Ok Websleuths posters....what would you have done if you were DR? Be honest.
I would have done much of the things that you did, except give a casserole. These parents are already suffering; they do not need to eat my cooking too.

I would not have been involved in the search unless explicitly asked by police.

Most obviously, I would have called 911 immediately if I saw anything suspicious involving a child. As soon as it happened.

I probably wouldn't have given hugs to the family -- that is just not my personality - but I would have offered support in any way that I could and the amount of involvement would be based on how well I knew the family.

I may leave my home because it would be uncomfortable there, but only after I gave the cops full access to my home.

When I was in my teens or early 20s, someone on my block heard a woman screaming. Cops came to our door and my father told them to look all around our house, basement, etc. Why? Because no one was there and he wanted to cops to confirm this so they could continue their search elsewhere. Dad didn't even hesitate. Just told the cops to look. (nothing ever came of it. we think it was a prank or maybe a family arguing and too embarrassed to admit it)

I would be scared and afraid to contaminate the scene. I would stay inside and watch out the window. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep all night.

I am also nothing like DR in both personality and life circumstances. I also know what has become of this case after 25 years so I have that in hindsight as well.

I agree 100% that DR is strange and reacted strangely that night. However, I stand by my stance that the scene was contaminated and I still believe a vehicle was involved. You had dozens of people walking all over that driveway in the dark of night, most of whom had probably never been part of a scene or investigation like this one. Key evidence such as prints of both Jacob and the perp, as well as tire tracks, were not preserved. Period.

After 25 years and multiple searches of his house and property....he has not been charged or named a suspect. LE has obviously spent thousands of man hours trying to find evidence on him but nothing has come to fruition. That has to create a bit of doubt in your mind that maybe he's not the perp after all. That is why I am focusing my efforts on other potential perps. There are too many pervs that were creeping around that area at the time that seem to fit the MO much more than DR does.

Fair enough on your probable reaction that night to stay out of cops way. But early the next morning when there is crime scene tape at the end of your driveway, would you lift it up and walk all over the scene? I am asking what YOU would do finding that a neighbor's son had been abducted from YOUR driveway...would you contact the family in any way or just go about your business as usual?

And when Patty Wetterling sends you a letter years later asking about that night that her child was abducted from YOUR driveway, would you ignore this heartbroken mother's request?

And your are forgetting one very important fact. DR is currently the only named POI. Cadaver dogs hit on a chest that LE still holds as evidence in addition to other items including newspaper clippings and videos of Jacob's case that DR kept. I find it strange that he would keep these mementos of a horrific crime that happened in his driveway and yet not reach out to the Wetterling family. By keeping these items, he acknowledges what a huge crime this was and he knows how it has affected the local community, the schools and the neighborhood...and not ONCE does he reach out to Wetterlings in any way. And yet, he seems to be just fine with TV interviews and going to a random blog to find closure for this case.

1. Named POI after third search of his farm (items collected)
2. LE accuses him of changing stories
3. No Alibi
4. No response to Pattys letter
5. Several investigators are left uneasy after questioning him
6. Lied about his mother owning black pantyhose
7. Freshest tire tracks between 915 and 945pm most likely accounted for in 2003
8. Did not become a witness until the next morning when investigators went to his place of work
9. Walks through crime scene tape
10. Doubts the crime will ever be solved, despite LE still looking at every angle.

Help us clear Daniel Rassier

One of thr problems with this is that if DR is the culprit, his footprints would be all over and his scent would be everywhere. I am just guessing that the dogs used in the beginning were not cadaver dogs.

Jacob's footprints would stand out as they are the footprints of a child.

We do know that earlier that day there was a student that came for lessons.

We do not know if the student walked, was driven, or rode on some kind of form of transportation such as a bike or a horse. We do not know the age or sex of the student.

We know that DR has given reasons why his footprints would be fresh on the driveway. Running and getting mail.

I don't know about every teacher in the world, but I know about myself and my friends.

We care about our students deeply. There are situations we have cried about and not been able to sleep about.

DR taught students of that age.

It is hard to imagine that he could be so detached.

It also bothers me that a grown man does not have the social skills to even send a card of caring to a neighbor whose child is missing from his very driveway. Not a driveway somewhere else, but his driveway. I imagine the Wetterlings got thousands of cards.

I live in a neighborhood where most of the neighbors have lived for 15 to 40 years.

We do not socialize but wave or talk when we see each other on the road when walking.

I know if something happens, my neighobrs will help each other.

I have seen them pulling people out of the snowbank, for instance.

I continue to think of the neighbors that Sher knows that gave LE the keys to their property because they were searched so often.

That is the kind of thing that stands out to me. Those are the kind of neighbors I picture in that small area of St. Joe.

And not only that, having participated in searches, conferences and vigils, I can testify to the level of caring in the community . It was a time when people were pulling together and sacrificing time and money.

It was so intense. The billboards, the songs, the TV and radio, the newspaper articles, the vigils. The state was on the edge of our seats waiting for this child to be found and the monster exposed.

This was small town Minnesota. This simply did not happen here

You hit the nail on the head. He has no social skills to reach out to the Wetterlings after all these years, not even a note when their child had been abducted from his driveway. BUT, he clearly can write letters as he did and sent his letter defending HIMSELF to 14 different LED agencies. Others say well, that is the way he is...shy and socially awkward...have you SEEN HIS TV INTERVIEWS? He clearly in not uncomfortable in front of a camera being interviewed. There is a reason why he has not reached out to the Wetterlings and it is not because he is socially awkward.

All I can say with 100% certainty is that I would not go to bed! There's NO WAY I would be able to sleep being home alone, on an isolated farm, with a gunman on the loose...possibly hiding on my property!

You hit the nail on the head. He has no social skills to reach out to the Wetterlings after all these years, not even a note when their child had been abducted from his driveway. BUT, he clearly can write letters as he did and sent his letter defending HIMSELF to 14 different LED agencies. Others say well, that is the way he is...shy and socially awkward...have you SEEN HIS TV INTERVIEWS? He clearly in not uncomfortable in front of a camera being interviewed. There is a reason why he has not reached out to the Wetterlings and it is not because he is socially awkward.

It's curious to me why someone who is socially awkward would ever want to be a teacher!

To answer the question about what I would have done if an officer came to my door and told me that a child in the neighborhood was abducted, I would ask him/her if I could help look. The officer would probably tell me "no, we're doing x, y and z" and then I would go and look anyway. And probably look all night and then ask others to look with me.

But you know what -- that's just me (and you and probably most here on Websleuths), because looking around this neighborhood, I am annoyed and disgusted to say that the vast majority of people here would not look. Why? Because a lot of people are very self involved and care primarily about themselves and their own families. It's not necessarily that they don't care about others, they just aren't comfortable getting involved with these types of situations. They could be afraid or just feel it's "police business." I am like a rogue soldier when I find out about situations -- I often involve myself, even after being told by the police "no, we got this or we think the kid went somewhere else." The last time that happened, my group found the body of Bryan Glenn in a park in Fairfax.

I know plenty of people who act just like DR -- "not my problem." What the hell. But it's true. These are the same types that don't get involved when they can clearly hear or see something is wrong.

Having said all that, it is suspicious to me that Jacob was abducted at the end of DR's driveway, DR was home alone and was probably one of the few people who would know with the most confidence whether cars would come up that street at that time. I just struggle with the fact that adequate concrete evidence hasn't (yet) been found, after all those digs, searches, interviews, etc. I agree DR's responses are strange. The fact that he chuckles at all when he answers questions is plain weird. There is nothing to chuckle about, period. To me he comes across as self focused and even disinterested about Jacob and the horrible suffering the Wetterlings have gone through. But I have seen and know people like him. Since DR is the only officially named POI in this case, I have to believe there is good reason for that.

How many murder cases do we know about in which LE says, "we're sure he/she did it, but there's just not enough evidence to charge him/her." Look at what's happening now with the Lyon sisters -- decades later, they are just now able to go to a farm in southern VA to look for evidence. It is extremely frustrating to me that so many criminals are walking free because the police couldn't find that one thing needed to definitively tie a person to a case.

Brief tangent follows:

HEYYOU, remember, we are here because we are drawn to not just the challenge of solving a case but also because we have genuine concern for our fellow human. While it is true that police can often summon the public to participate in searches, again, those people are also like you -- they are drawn to helping others because that desire is (thankfully) inherent in their nature. While I'd love to say folks living in these environs would naturally step out of their little corner of the planet and offer to assist in finding a missing child, my experience tells me some will but many more won't.

To answer the question about what I would have done if an officer came to my door and told me that a child in the neighborhood was abducted, I would ask him/her if I could help look. The officer would probably tell me "no, we're doing x, y and z" and then I would go and look anyway. And probably look all night and then ask others to look with me.

But you know what -- that's just me (and you and probably most here on Websleuths), because looking around this neighborhood, I am annoyed and disgusted to say that the vast majority of people here would not look. Why? Because a lot of people are very self involved and care primarily about themselves and their own families. It's not necessarily that they don't care about others, they just aren't comfortable getting involved with these types of situations. They could be afraid or just feel it's "police business." I am like a rogue soldier when I find out about situations -- I often involve myself, even after being told by the police "no, we got this or we think the kid went somewhere else." The last time that happened, my group found the body of Bryan Glenn in a park in Fairfax.

I know plenty of people who act just like DR -- "not my problem." What the hell. But it's true. These are the same types that don't get involved when they can clearly hear or see something is wrong.

Having said all that, it is suspicious to me that Jacob was abducted at the end of DR's driveway, DR was home alone and was probably one of the few people who would know with the most confidence whether cars would come up that street at that time. I just struggle with the fact that adequate concrete evidence hasn't (yet) been found, after all those digs, searches, interviews, etc. I agree DR's responses are strange. The fact that he chuckles at all when he answers questions is plain weird. There is nothing to chuckle about, period. To me he comes across as self focused and even disinterested about Jacob and the horrible suffering the Wetterlings have gone through. But I have seen and know people like him. Since DR is the only officially named POI in this case, I have to believe there is good reason for that.

How many murder cases do we know about in which LE says, "we're sure he/she did it, but there's just not enough evidence to charge him/her." Look at what's happening now with the Lyon sisters -- decades later, they are just now able to go to a farm in southern VA to look for evidence. It is extremely frustrating to me that so many criminals are walking free because the police couldn't find that one thing needed to definitively tie a person to a case.

Brief tangent follows:

HEYYOU, remember, we are here because we are drawn to not just the challenge of solving a case but also because we have genuine concern for our fellow human. While it is true that police can often summon the public to participate in searches, again, those people are also like you -- they are drawn to helping others because that desire is (thankfully) inherent in their nature. While I'd love to say folks living in these environs would naturally step out of their little corner of the planet and offer to assist in finding a missing child, my experience tells me some will but many more won't.

Hey PHANTOM, I totally get what you and others are saying about people not stepping up or getting involved. I am just trying to break this case down a little more by pointing out inconsistencies...Like DR did not get involved at all, no call visit or letters to the Wetterlings even after a personal note from Patty. Fine, but then he turns around and is getting interviewed on TV looking for Jacob's real abductor or Jacob himself. This is NOT consistent behavior. If he indeed felt the need to clear himself and draw more attention to the case, surely his first call would have been to a Wetterling and NOT the media. Who else would champion the 'find Jacob' cause more than the Wetterlings? And we know he is not too shy to write a letter, he did so and sent them to 14 agencies. He has also been interviewed publicly on a blog. This is NOT consistent with the 'I just don't want to get involved' personality.

I totally agree with your assessment in this case, HEYYOU. DR's behavior is odd and unsettling any way I look at it. Just have to pray that LE or someone can locate whatever is necessary to make a solid case. Very sad to think this could go another month, year, decade without resolution for the Wetterlings. Really tragic.

I totally agree with your assessment in this case, HEYYOU. DR's behavior is odd and unsettling any way I look at it. Just have to pray that LE or someone can locate whatever is necessary to make a solid case. Very sad to think this could go another month, year, decade without resolution for the Wetterlings. Really tragic.

I guess what I find most odd about DR is that a large percentage of abductors try to insert themselves into the search and investigation so that they can A) Keep track of how close LE is getting to tracking the abduction to them and B) They get some thrill out of being right under LE's nose and that they are smarter than everyone else, LE included.

DR does not appear to be doing that.

It does not mean anything...just another "odd" factoid.

I guess what I find most odd about DR is that a large percentage of abductors try to insert themselves into the search and investigation so that they can A) Keep track of how close LE is getting to tracking the abduction to them and B) They get some thrill out of being right under LE's nose and that they are smarter than everyone else, LE included.

DR does not appear to be doing that.

It does not mean anything...just another "odd" factoid.

Actually, he DID insert himself into the case but he did not do it immediately as he had to dispose of a body first. He was more focused on moving Jacob around IMO than any investigation. Once the heat was off, he disposed of Jacob and then kept his normal routine. When the cops started looking at him again, THEN he went to interviews and the media to help find Jacob. I think DR gets a kick out of the attention. I believe he knows how smart he has been and enjoys rubbing it in LE's face as to how he has outsmarted them...he kept all the news clippings, pictures and videos, typical of a guilty person.

I agree his behaviour is odd and he may well be involved. Two things that puzzle me though are: even if he didn't know the Wetterlings before, they are connected now by the abduction, so i think if he is innocent he could have reached out to them but hasn't. The other thing is that although the boys didn't see his face, is DR not quite tall and slim compared to the discription of the perpetrator?. He could have changed his voice to husky and deep but couldn't change his build. I have only seen one interview with him so maybe you guys know better what sort of build he is.

I agree his behaviour is odd and he may well be involved. Two things that puzzle me though are: even if he didn't know the Wetterlings before, they are connected now by the abduction, so i think if he is innocent he could have reached out to them but hasn't. The other thing is that although the boys didn't see his face, is DR not quite tall and slim compared to the discription of the perpetrator?. He could have changed his voice to husky and deep but couldn't change his build. I have only seen one interview with him so maybe you guys know better what sort of build he is.

He wore a dark, bulky coat. Also, this was an exceptionally warm night in October. Considering the perp had between 15-20 minutes to prepare, how did he access a bulky coat in addition to black pantyhouse?

He wore a dark, bulky coat. Also, this was an exceptionally warm night in October. Considering the perp had between 15-20 minutes to prepare, how did he access a bulky coat in addition to black pantyhouse?

From his house. Noone there to notice him do it either. DR was psycho from being alone and abandoned. The kids on bikes and a rad scooter were "the new kids" something that disgusted DR. They are the weak and he never grew up having it.

That was very honest of you. Taking this further, after years of not finding Jacob and Patty Wetterling hand writes and sends you a letter asking for information regarding what happened that night...would you reach out to her at that time?

And for the sake of argument, if you did run across crime scene tape at the end of your driveway with cops there the morning after the abduction, would you lift it up and cross it?

Also, let's say it was YOUR son abducted from the end of your neighbor's driveway. Would you think it strange that they just continued to wave at you and never ask about your son?

Would I lift up tape and cross it? Yes. If I was going to ask LE to move it so I could get my car out to go to work. Has LE ever criticized DR for doing this? I have not heard so.

I would not respond in writing. If I remotely thought I was a suspect, I would be careful of a written response. The letter from PW was more or less accusing, if I correctly recall. (It is my understanding that DR and PW have now had a conversation.)

As to asking, what would there be to ask? The media had already splashed everything across front pages and also the fact that I (meaning DR) was a POI. If it were my son, of course, I would want to talk to DR. However, it could be that LE asked me not to talk to him. (Has this been considered?) Perhaps LE told her to stay away from him, or perhaps he thought, as a POI, it was best to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024