MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found these photos interesting, they were published with that Minneapolis Tribune article that was linked on here earlier today. I always assumed DR's gravel/burn pit was right out behind his farm buildings, because he talked about how they tossed old clothes in there and the occasional animal that the dog would bring home from the woods. But look how far away from the house this pit is.

This photo shows the burn/gravel pit on the Rassier farm looking northwest. Their house is behind that clump of trees. It shows how far the gravel pit was from the house and the road. Also shows the downward curve of the hill in their yard and the wood pile. It's a long distance view (this is a current photo - those homes were not all over in the background in 1989 like they are now)
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/burngravelpit.jpg

Close-up view of pit showing well worn tire paths around it:
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/gravelpit2.jpg

Jacob's last footprint was 40 yards in on the driveway, just before the road starts to bend towards the buildings. The abductor could have driven Jacob straight ahead to the gravel pit and turned either way - north or south - there are well worn roads along the edges of those fields. DR said could see the gravel pit from his second floor window, (leaves were off the trees by Oct. 22) because he said he saw when the cops were down by the gravel pit with their flashlights after he went back in the house.

To me it doesn't seem likely you would walk way out there to drop an old shirt or a dead animal in there, you'd save them up on some sort of trailer or old truck bed and drive them out there once a month or so. While you'd think the dogs or LE would have searched any trucks or bins filled with garbage, who knows?

I found these photos interesting, they were published with that Minneapolis Tribune article that was linked on here earlier today. I always assumed DR's gravel/burn pit was right out behind his farm buildings, because he talked about how they tossed old clothes in there and the occasional animal that the dog would bring home from the woods. But look how far away from the house this pit is.

This photo shows the burn/gravel pit on the Rassier farm looking northwest. Their house is behind that clump of trees. It shows how far the gravel pit was from the house and the road. Also shows the downward curve of the hill in their yard and the wood pile. It's a long distance view (this is a current photo - those homes were not all over in the background in 1989 like they are now)

Jacob's last footprint was 40 yards in on the driveway, just before the road starts to bend towards the buildings. The abductor could have driven Jacob straight ahead to the gravel pit and turned either way - north or south - there are well worn roads along the edges of those fields. DR said could see the gravel pit from his second floor window, (leaves were off the trees by Oct. 22) because he said he saw when the cops were down by the gravel pit with their flashlights after he went back in the house.

To me it doesn't seem likely you would walk way out there to drop an old shirt or a dead animal in there, you'd save them up on some sort of trailer or old truck bed and drive them out there once a month or so. While you'd think the dogs or LE would have searched any trucks or bins filled with garbage, who knows?

I always thought DR saying that he burned clothes and dead animals in that firepit was super, super shady. Why not just toss the old clothes and drag dead animal into woods. Burning sounds like a very disgusting way to dispose of an animal since most likely someone needs to be on hand to maintain the fire. And that picture of the man in the library does look like Jared's guy. I wonder what Jared thinks?

The article in the STrib yesterday listed Jarrod's last name. That is the first time I have seen his full name in print.

Does the guy they arrested at the library have a prior record. He did not just get interested in children last week.....I find it interesting he has lived in both paynesville and st joe.

I would doubt you would save a dead animal in a trailer - smell. Also, I would think you could easily drive the dead animal there.

Does the guy they arrested at the library have a prior record. He did not just get interested in children last week.....I find it interesting he has lived in both paynesville and st joe.

I'm not sure if he has a prior record, but apparently there have been a lot of people coming forward about him approaching their children at the library. It really creeps me out, especially considering my wife and children were at the library the day before he was arrested.

I don't know if he actually has lived in Paynesville or St. Joe, but it would be worth looking into. It would also be interesting to see what Jared thinks about his photo.

I don't believe Jared and Jacob are connected. Different MOs and description.
There is no other POI.

How are those cases different MO's and description?!? Both had the low raspy voice. Both were sexually motivated crimes. The only difference that we can see as outsiders is that he let Jared go. However, like most criminals, perhaps he escalated to the next level by the time he got Jacob.

Also, Jared has said many times that he believes it's the same perp. And it's pretty certain to say that Jared knows details of both cases that we do not as the public, so I trust his opinion that they are related.

I wish we could spend more time sleuthing other perps besides DR. He's been analyzed to death on here. His home and property have been searched 3 times. No evidence was found, he's still a teacher of young kids (you can be damn sure if police found ANY sort of inappropriate *advertiser censored* that he'd have been fired immediately). He's never been accused of any misconduct. We know he's not Jared's perp. It just doesn't fit that he'd go out and abduct and murder ONE child, ONE time, and not leave a shred of evidence anywhere and never do anything inappropriate or abduct another child ever again.

I'm just frustrated. No new information is being released by the police. We have nothing new to work with. I truly think we need to focus our attention on the other suspects like DAH.

The general drift of things seems to say that the Paynesville attacks, Jared's abduction + release, and Jacob's abduction are connected. IMO, they seem unrelated unless the perp changed is m.o. as time passed. The Paynesville attacks are almost hysterical-a masked man on foot desperately pursuing his victims. Jared's abductor unmasked and calmly abducting + releasing him. Jacob's abductor more militaristic + pointedly determined + efficient.

I wish we could spend more time sleuthing other perps besides DR. He's been analyzed to death on here. His home and property have been searched 3 times. No evidence was found, he's still a teacher of young kids (you can be damn sure if police found ANY sort of inappropriate *advertiser censored* that he'd have been fired immediately). He's never been accused of any misconduct. We know he's not Jared's perp. It just doesn't fit that he'd go out and abduct and murder ONE child, ONE time, and not leave a shred of evidence anywhere and never do anything inappropriate or abduct another child ever again.

I'm just frustrated. No new information is being released by the police. We have nothing new to work with. I truly think we need to focus our attention on the other suspects like DAH.

I understand your position and have felt the same way for a long time. I've never been able to wrap my mind around DR as the POI....it just seems implausible and more likely that a 'scum of the earth' type like DAH would do something like this. But I've never been able to dismiss DR either as implausible as it seems. Why has LE focused their attention upon him? Are they framing him? Are they incompetent and looking for a scapegoat? IDK. Legally we have to presume he's innocent but when I watch his interviews(particularly the KSTP interview) my gut reaction is negative + suspicious. It may be that his personal nature works against him in the public relations department and anyone under a microscope is between a rock and a hard place, but still, doubts remain...unfortunately.

I'm not convinced of DR's guilt either. I agree that to carry out that level of crime there would have been something else before or after. I know the circumstances are so strange it's difficult to see who else it could be but what if there was someone stalking Jacob. He could have been staking out the house, possibly intending to try to take him at some point. He could have been doing this over some weeks and when the boys went out that night he took his chance. I know it seems over the top to think it could have happened that way but how many kids have been abducted from their houses. It has been discussed before who would use DR's driveway with the chance of the homeowner coming out but these things are always 'taking a risk'. How many kids have been abducted in circumstances which seem risky but people do get away with it. It was dark, the farmhouse would have been quiet, maybe with the lights out if DR was in bed already. He knew he was at least hidden from the road. I assume LE looked into Jacob's movements in the weeks prior to the abduction and the strange incident Jerry described at the hockey rink. I wish i knew more of what they knew.

Those are informative photos...thx. I still wonder about the 2 outbuildings that burned.....

How are those cases different MO's and description?!? Both had the low raspy voice. Both were sexually motivated crimes. The only difference that we can see as outsiders is that he let Jared go. However, like most criminals, perhaps he escalated to the next level by the time he got Jacob.

Also, Jared has said many times that he believes it's the same perp. And it's pretty certain to say that Jared knows details of both cases that we do not as the public, so I trust his opinion that they are related.

A disguised voice may sound raspy. The MO is completely different.

A disguised and masked man approached Jacob, Aaron and Trevor on foot. Picked Jacob and told boys to run. He promptly disappeared with Jacob up the DR driveway with no car in sight. We never saw Jacob again.

Jared was approached by a man in a blue sedan. No mask, and Jared was alone and after he was assaulted he was let go.

If anything, Jacob's abductor's MO was very similar to Paynesville molester.

Jared was not at the scene of Jacob's abduction. He has no idea of Jacob's perp. When Jared's perp's sketch was released after Jacob was abducted, I believe that was a big mistake. They boys did not see a face or even hair as it was covered by a black stocking.

And how do you know Jacob's abduction was sexually related?

I'm just frustrated. No new information is being released by the police. We have nothing new to work with. I truly think we need to focus our attention on the other suspects like DAH.[/QUOTE

DR is the only named POI. You are trying hard to deflect attention from that fact, why?

There IS evidence that is still being held at the Stearns County sheriff's department. A blood stained trunk, an umbrella stand, DR's collection of notes about Jacob Wetterling's abduction and other items that DR conveniently couldn't remember during the news interview.

Crimes of opportunity can happen one time. Remember Etan Patz? He went out to his bus stop alone for the first time in NYC and was taken a killed by a guy who never did anything like that again. Or perhaps DR has committed other crimes against children when he goes out of state for his 5k runs? Fact is, they have kept him named POI and do have evidence that they took from his home. He admits he was at the scene of the crime. No other tire tracks on DR driveway besides Kevin's. Nobody else home at DR farm. He had time, place and quick access to black pantyhose.

I would gladly focus on anyone else you can put at the scene at the time of the abduction.

The article in the STrib yesterday listed Jarrod's last name. That is the first time I have seen his full name in print.

His name was actually shown by accident in that one video that had the footprints. You wouldn't have seen it just watching the video, but I saw it when I was making screen caps of the footprints for my photobucket. I didn't mention it, because I figured he wanted it kept private. He's probably figured since everyone in Cold Spring knows by now who he is anyway - after him having appeared on so many TV interviews, that it no longer mattered keeping it private.

A disguised voice may sound raspy. The MO is completely different.

A disguised and masked man approached Jacob, Aaron and Trevor on foot. Picked Jacob and told boys to run. He promptly disappeared with Jacob up the DR driveway with no car in sight. We never saw Jacob again.

Jared was approached by a man in a blue sedan. No mask, and Jared was alone and after he was assaulted he was let go.

If anything, Jacob's abductor's MO was very similar to Paynesville molester.

Jared was not at the scene of Jacob's abduction. He has no idea of Jacob's perp. When Jared's perp's sketch was released after Jacob was abducted, I believe that was a big mistake. They boys did not see a face or even hair as it was covered by a black stocking.

And how do you know Jacob's abduction was sexually related?

RBBM

"This is a sexually motivated crime. Sometimes, you need to say that," Patty said. "So, it's not like we're in la-la land.
Quote from Patty taken from second page here of article in SCTimes.
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/media/SCTimes1.jpg.html?sort=4&o=35

It disturbes me that I can't easily find this information. If the FBI and Stearns County Sheriffs office could get their act together, perhaps people would be motivated to come forward. Should a giant cash reward be necessary? No. But it'd sure help to compel the person(s) who know something.
C'mon

A $200,000 reward was established in May 1990, that's $360,000 in today's dollars, adjusted for inflation. If someone other than the perpetrator knew something in 1990, I think they would have come forward.

Yes, Mossad's allusion to "pillars" was not lost on me -- the million dollar question yet to be answered is which pillars might be behind this crime and further, which pillars might be hiding behind other pillars? The sheriff, the teacher, or the possibly the preacher. If people are willing to outright lie about what they know -- whether by omission or commission, there isn't much hope we'll ever get the truth about what happened to poor Jacob.

Interesting, pillars of the community. Involved, embarrassed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho