MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this welfare state? Are you kidding?

People on the news site about the latest on DR thought his salary of $62.000 a year with 32 years experience and a Master's was way too much, So I guess they think that a teacher makes too much money as well.

People on the news site about the latest on DR thought his salary of $62.000 a year with 32 years experience and a Master's was way too much, So I guess they think that a teacher makes too much money as well.

Amazing... Maybe they don't understand that many restaurant wait staff make more money than teachers.

DR must start teacher prep today or sometime this week. It's facing his colleagues time.

I'm a little bothered at how quickly so many people are willing to "label" DR as a murder suspect. If nothing is found on his property, he will not be "exonerated"; the cloud of suspicion will remain.

As far as I can tell, the only reason he became POI is that he lived closest to the crime scene. LE is right to "check him out" but, absence of evidence to the contrary, this is hardly "suspicious".

There is the possibility that LE knows more than they are letting on. If this is the case, LE agencies that I am familiar with would generally play it down as just "routine" or "closing out some loose ends". That way, if nothing is found, no one’s reputation is damaged and if evidence is found, the issue is now settled. In this case, LE is saying very little but it has turned into a media circus and speculation is rampant. One of the local papers has suggested that the basis for this search (do we know if there was a search warrant or if the search was "consensual") is that two small out-buildings on the farm were torn down or moved and there was some sort of "altering" of the ground where the buildings stood. I don't own a farm but that hardly seems "suspicious" to me.

My guess is that this is just a "fishing expedition". Maybe they'll find something. Maybe DR will flee the country or do some equally incriminating. Maybe they will find nothing and perhaps try it again with the next POI.

It seems to me highly unlikely that DR just "happened" to be waiting at the end of his driveway with a gun and mask, that late in the evening, in hopes that some kid would come along for him to abduct. It is far more likely that someone who "happened" to have a mask and gun, noticed the boys, followed them until he saw where they were going, drove past them and hide his car in a long driveway and then laid in wait for them to pass. This doesn’t rule out the owner of the driveway but it hardly casts any serious suspicion on him.

This may have been answered already, but I haven't read ahead yet to find out... if its a repeat, then I appologize.

We DO know that there was a search warrant... AND that the warrant was SEALED so that not even the property owners are aware of what was being looked FOR.

Ugh, why does he answer questions in such strange ways?

from http://www.sctimes.com/article/2010...erns-unfold-around-teacher-in-Wetterling-case

"“I can feel for the parents. If I had small children and didn’t know the situation — they don’t know me at all. I’m just an innocent bystander witness. This has been going on for 21 years,” Rassier said."

I thought he was inside the house sleeping?

“The kids are going to be hurt by the cuts. The whole issue of who is teaching the music class, in the end, the kids have lost no matter what I turn out to be,” Rassier said."

His responses are just so creepy.

I think that if I was being unfairly suspected of being a pedophile and murderer capable of killing a small child the school district cutting some funds off the other kids' music education would pale in comparison. I'm not sure that I would be able to work the two thoughts in the same sentence because I would be too freaked out by the prospects of being falsely judged to worry about whether the children learn to distinguish their major key from the minor key and their Chopin from their Haydn.

What does he mean anyway? Is there no chance that the children could be taught music by someone who isn't being suspected of murdering a child? Is it better to be taught music by a child murdering pedophile than not be taught music? Are the funds for the music education and his being their teacher somehow connected?

No matter what I turn out to be is a strange way of putting it, as well. I can speculate like that as I don't know him from Adam. "No matter what he turns out to be, this and this will happen..." But he knows what he is or isn't, so it shouldn't be a matter of speculation for him. He knows if he is not a child murdering pedophile and doesn't have to wonder if he'll turn out to be one. If he did it he may not be sure if they'll find enough evidence to prove it or if he's innocent he may not be sure they won't find enough false leads to pin it on him unjustly. But if he is talking about a prospect of being falsely convicted it seems odd to call it a case of "what I turn out to be".

it's not just that he lives closest to the crime scene.

People think it might have been him because:
1.) he was at home that night and he didn't come out of his house to help search because he was 'sleeping', but in the same breath he says he saw/heard a car turn around in his driveway (impossible because it is really long and there is a curved bit with trees blocking the house from the road). People see this as fishy because he works with kids.
2.) he was home alone - his parents were out of the country.
3.) the cops did not search his home/property right away. They waited 5 days.
4.) He makes strangely phrased comments about the case. There was a video from a while ago where he made a bunch of hinky comments.
5.) Several other reasons.

Someone should make a better list with all the reasons that point toward him.

I'm going to add something to this list... which might not be as well known...

There have been recent media reports (July 2010) that someone who identified himself as DR's brother contacted media, but wouldn't leave his name! The details I'm referring to are quoted below, and of course, the link to the info is:
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/201...affling-details-emerge-about-unnamed-suspect/

"The man who identified himself as a brother of Daniel Rassier but wouldn’t give his own name said his parents were “pretty upset” by the latest search.

“They’ve been there their whole life,” he said. “It really bothers me because it really hurts them.”

He said police also had been to his parents’ property in 1989 and 2005. The second time, they dug and “tore the place up,” doing “a very thorough investigation,” the man said.

He noted that officials also have searched other properties in the area.

When his mother called Wednesday, the man said, and told him investigators were at the farm again, he thought she was joking.

“It’s the third time; it just won’t end,” he said. “It’s getting to the point of harassment.”
Asked why police were at his parents’ property now, the man said his family didn’t know.

“I have no idea what sparked (Wednesday’s search),” he said. “Their whole theory was there wasn’t a car there, and they think somebody did it on foot, and they keep coming back to that same thing.”

Rassier’s brother continued: “I just hope it clears his name. He’s been through the ringer.”

Yes, I realize that this could be ANYBODY making these statements to the media -- and I don't recall seeing anyone from DR's family OWN these statements as "theirs" -- but still, if its true, it is certainly interesting at the very least.

It's bothered me to know DR's home & property were not properly searched and he wasn't investigated from the very beginning ... starting with the first LE to arrive on the scene after Jacob's abduction. I base that statement on what I've read about Jacob's case.

The strange man at the Tom Thumb is often mentioned. My opinion is he may have been a traveler (a hunter?) passing thru the area that happened to have stopped in. He was all the more memorable because the timing coincided with Jacob's disappearance.

My point is, at that time, I doubt anyone believed Jacob could have been taken by one of their "own". Not only did things like this not happen in small communites, if it did happen ... only a stranger could be responsible. I do believe it's entirely possible & reasonable that the truth about Jacob's abduction lies very close to home.

I think that if I was being unfairly suspected of being a pedophile and murderer capable of killing a small child the school district cutting some funds off the other kids' music education would pale in comparison. I'm not sure that I would be able to work the two thoughts in the same sentence because I would be too freaked out by the prospects of being falsely judged to worry about whether the children learn to distinguish their major key from the minor key and their Chopin from their Haydn.

What does he mean anyway? Is there no chance that the children could be taught music by someone who isn't being suspected of murdering a child? Is it better to be taught music by a child murdering pedophile than not be taught music? Are the funds for the music education and his being their teacher somehow connected?

No matter what I turn out to be is a strange way of putting it, as well. I can speculate like that as I don't know him from Adam. "No matter what he turns out to be, this and this will happen..." But he knows what he is or isn't, so it shouldn't be a matter of speculation for him. He knows if he is not a child murdering pedophile and doesn't have to wonder if he'll turn out to be one. If he did it he may not be sure if they'll find enough evidence to prove it or if he's innocent he may not be sure they won't find enough false leads to pin it on him unjustly. But if he is talking about a prospect of being falsely convicted it seems odd to call it a case of "what I turn out to be".

The funding cuts are not connected to DR. They were simply a district money problem. That is why DR was re-assigned. He has seniority, and, most likely, programs were combined or some other person lost either a part-time or full-time position. It even sounds like some music program(s) may not be offered, which is why DR mentioned that children would be hurt no matter what happens to him.

I think perhaps DR doesn't word things as well as he could and should get an attorney or a spokesperson. However, if he's innocent, maybe he feels he doesn't need to spend $.

The funding cuts are not connected to DR. They were simply a district money problem. That is why DR was re-assigned. He has seniority, and, most likely, programs were combined or some other person lost either a part-time or full-time position. It even sounds like some music program(s) may not be offered, which is why DR mentioned that children would be hurt no matter what happens to him.

I think perhaps DR doesn't word things as well as he could and should get an attorney or a spokesperson. However, if he's innocent, maybe he feels he doesn't need to spend $.

Thanks. If the music education money is cut regardless of what happens to him why does he even bring it up here in connection with his status as a POI? What have the district money problems got to do with his personal problems with the LE?

Thanks. If the music education money is cut regardless of what happens to him why does he even bring it up here in connection with his status as a POI? What have the district money problems got to do with his personal problems with the LE?

Because he was reassigned to another school. People, obviously, wonder why he isn't back at his old school, and it's not connected to him as a POI. He would have been reassigned anyway.

I've been getting up to speed on this case and I am concerned that DR is really getting a RAW DEAL. The principle "evidence" against him is that he lived very close to where the crime occured. I suspect that they are "focusing" on him because they have nowhere else to look.

From what I can tell, the original theory of the crime was that some saw the kids, followed them and passed them on 91st and the laid and waited in DR's driveway. There was a report of a car seen in that driveway soon after the abduction.

It was also assumed that the Cold Springs abduction was by the same person since there were many similarities. (since they had "biological evidence" and a good description of the perp, I am assuming that DR was "ruled out" of this one)

in 2003, the "mystery driver" came forward and said that he heard about the crime on a police scanner and went to the scene before anyone got there. He parked in the driveway for a few minutes and left before any LE got there. Apparently this guy was credible. Based on this, they began to rethink the crime and somehow came up with the "no car" theory. If the perp had no car, he must have taken Jacob somewhere very close; and DR's house and outbuilding were the only structures that close.

What I don't understand is why the "mystery driver" makes that much difference. The perp could have left before he arrived. The "no car" theory also requires that someone (presumably DR) to to be waiting at the end on his driveway with his gun and mask on the off chance that some kid would walk by at that time of night. I don't see how he could have noticed them from the farm house since the view would be blocked by trees.

My own speculation leads me to believe that the Cold Springs case & Jacob's case are related. Due to the passage of time between the two incidents, that leads me to believe the perp was a local rather than a stranger to the area. As far as DNA evidence, I don't know enough about the science to know whether a conclusive determination could have been made after months/years.

IF DR was involved, he's known to be a runner. Maybe he was out on a run when the boys passed, maybe he was just outside checking the property. It's a reasonable possibility. As well as the fact, as a neighbor, he must have been somewhat familiar with the children in the area. I don't know for a fact he was in the house at the time. One of the boys did mention hearing a "noise" as they passed by the first time. He later indicated he thought someone could have been watching them then.

I freely admit it is all speculation on my part. Perhaps I have too much faith in LE. Many cold cases have been solved by new detectives looking over the evidence with fresh eyes. LE did obtain "sealed" search warrants. I believe they had good enough reasons to do so. How many times have we heard of cases where LE knew who was involved but didn't have enough evidence?

I also admit all my speculation about DR could be completely wrong. My gut feeling is something isn't right with that situation however. I realize that isn't evidence of anything and simply IMO.

My hopes & prayers are with Jacob & his family.

I do have one question about his case perhaps the more seasoned & knowledgable WS's can answer for me.

Over 20 years have passed since Jacob was abducted. For those who have followed the case from the beginning ... what would be done today by LE as standard procedure in a missing child case now as opposed to 20 years ago?

It may be a dumb question with no bearing. My thinking is that this case was initially handled by a small LE dept. with limited experience in such cases. So much has been learned and LE has changed in the way missing children cases are treated over all this time. I'm just wondering if we looked at from the viewpoint of what would be done today in a similar case if we can make sense of what we see happening now.

I realize I can let my emotions get the best of me but I really am trying to learn as I go. I remember Jacob's case from the day it was first reported and have followed it for years. I feel so much sadness for his family to have endured the pain of not knowing all these years.

Thank you for your help & for tolerating my comments.

I do have one question about his case perhaps the more seasoned & knowledgable WS's can answer for me.

Over 20 years have passed since Jacob was abducted. For those who have followed the case from the beginning ... what would be done today by LE as standard procedure in a missing child case now as opposed to 20 years ago?

It may be a dumb question with no bearing. My thinking is that this case was initially handled by a small LE dept. with limited experience in such cases. So much has been learned and LE has changed in the way missing children cases are treated over all this time. I'm just wondering if we looked at from the viewpoint of what would be done today in a similar case if we can make sense of what we see happening now.

I realize I can let my emotions get the best of me but I really am trying to learn as I go. I remember Jacob's case from the day it was first reported and have followed it for years. I feel so much sadness for his family to have endured the pain of not knowing all these years.

Thank you for your help & for tolerating my comments.

The case was originally handled by the FBI. They weren't small time.

the boys did not see a car pass them on the way back. We have discussed this. There is no way a stranger could know how far they were going on their way back. DR could have been out and seen the kids pass by and wait for them to return.

I think if it was today, they would have searched the DR property. The FBI did not arrive until later. The DR family is well thought of in the town and I am sure they never even considered that it could be DR until the FBI came.

the boys did not see a car pass them on the way back. We have discussed this. There is no way a stranger could know how far they were going on their way back. DR could have been out and seen the kids pass by and wait for them to return.

I think if it was today, they would have searched the DR property. The FBI did not arrive until later. The DR family is well thought of in the town and I am sure they never even considered that it could be DR until the FBI came.

I think if this were today, they'd have gotten DR in for questioning on the spot, gotten a warrant to search his home... and property IMMEDIATELY!!

They wouldn't have let him DRIVE AWAY the following morning with CLOSED BOXES in the back of his CAR without checking them out!!

:banghead:

My neighbor was one of the FBI agents assigned to the case. While he never discussed anything with me, his wife did so. Of course, at that time, it was thought a vehicle was involved, but there was no thought by the FBI that DR was involved.

I've been getting up to speed on this case and I am concerned that DR is really getting a RAW DEAL. The principle "evidence" against him is that he lived very close to where the crime occured. I suspect that they are "focusing" on him because they have nowhere else to look.

From what I can tell, the original theory of the crime was that some saw the kids, followed them and passed them on 91st and the laid and waited in DR's driveway. There was a report of a car seen in that driveway soon after the abduction.

It was also assumed that the Cold Springs abduction was by the same person since there were many similarities. (since they had "biological evidence" and a good description of the perp, I am assuming that DR was "ruled out" of this one)

in 2003, the "mystery driver" came forward and said that he heard about the crime on a police scanner and went to the scene before anyone got there. He parked in the driveway for a few minutes and left before any LE got there. Apparently this guy was credible. Based on this, they began to rethink the crime and somehow came up with the "no car" theory. If the perp had no car, he must have taken Jacob somewhere very close; and DR's house and outbuilding were the only structures that close.

What I don't understand is why the "mystery driver" makes that much difference. The perp could have left before he arrived. The "no car" theory also requires that someone (presumably DR) to to be waiting at the end on his driveway with his gun and mask on the off chance that some kid would walk by at that time of night. I don't see how he could have noticed them from the farm house since the view would be blocked by trees.

The “evidence” of his living close by with means and opportunity makes him worthy of investigation.

Do you have a link to your research that the “mystery driver” arrived before LE and left with out talking to them?

My understanding is that the“mystery driver” heard on the scanner and spoke to an officer on the scene mentioning a bike by the side of the road, which the officer indicated they knew about.

When questioned DR said he recalled a car in the driveway prior to the commotion of the arrival of LE on the scene and that the car left quickly unlike the “mystery driver” who lingered speaking to LE.

DR's car statement was suspect since as you state the end of the driveway is not visible from the house. But we do not know where he said he was when he saw the car - maybe he said he was elsewhere on the property.

IMO investigating DR is not so much an absences of a place to look but the logical start to an investigation.

DR would not have to be waiting on an off chance to abduct if he had already observed the boys heading out.

It is kind to worry that DR is getting a “raw deal” but DR himself seems less than concerned since his latest statements are verbal shrug, sort of a whatever. On the other hand as so often in cases it appears his family is
devastated.

All IMO

My neighbor was one of the FBI agents assigned to the case. While he never discussed anything with me, his wife did so. Of course, at that time, it was thought a vehicle was involved, but there was no thought by the FBI that DR was involved.

As much as I am shocked that the FBI neighbor’s wife leaked information that I would presume to be top secret and he shouldn’t be chatting about it even with her and gives some insight into the naivety, I guess is the word, of the personnel involved it is confirmation that the FBI let down Jacob.

Since the cat is out of the bag I wonder what your neighbor currently feels is the case.
A passing stranger or someone local?

Does he feel at all duped that a potential suspect pretty much said “they went that a way in car”
and they went off in the direction he pointed to flounder ever since?

All IMO

Over the last few days I have immersed myself in this case trying to catch up on the facts. This is the sort of situation that the local community finds very disturbing and the parents are effectively keeping active. It is also fife with rumor and misinformation.

Initially, it was assumed that someone with a vehicle was involved since there were witnesses who saw a red Chevette parked in the driveway "near" the time of the crime and tire tracks were found in the driveway "consistent" with that make and model and Jacob's foot print was found near the track mark. Because no one in the vicinity owned such a car, it was assumed the perp was an "outsider". Because the facts of the case were "similar" to the Cold Springs abduction of another boy in 1/89, it was assumed they were related and the composite of that perp was released as the "suspect". The composite showed an older, heavyset man who did not look at all like DR.

Although the surviving boys did not see a car, did not recall hearing a car leave the driveway after they were told to run away, and did not recall being passed on the road by any vehicle, it was assumed that the perp had a car, probably a red Chevette, and saw the boys earlier, figured out they would be heading south on 91st and "laid in wait" at the driveway. The investigation focused on sex offenders and Chevette owners throughout central and southern Minnesota.

In 2003, 14 years after the abduction, a former "art student" came forward and said that he was driving his Chevette in the area when he heard the initial report on the Police scanner. He drove to the scene and parked in the driveway and eventually "left". Trino reported in post #315 of this thread (10/6/09) that the student was there when the police arrived and they told him to leave! If this is true (and I can find no news story the either backs this up or contradicts it), this would be a MAJOR ERROR in the case and may have totally derailed it. (Either the first responder failed to mention the Chevette in his report or the detectives/FBI failed to read the report).
Trino, can you back this story up?

In 2005 (2 years after the art student emerged) there was a "re-opening" of the case with a new theory (the perp didn't have a car, he was local and this case was unrelated to Cold Springs), there was a new POI (unnamed but identified as a "neighbor") and Jacob's mother made references to "errors" in the earlier investigation. Apparently there was a search of DR's property at that time. From what I can tell, LE was not ruling out the prior theory that the perp was an outsider with a car, they were just now considering the serious possibility that he was a local without a car.

Any Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members