MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just by chance, I was watching 48 Hours, Hard Evidence programs. The case about Shawn Hornbeck was on. That FBI agent who found the boys is amazing, IMO. Several observant people who took initiative to contact authorities were the key in figuring it out--like the man who who noticed the truck details and the owner of the pizza parlor there who saw that truck and connected it with Devlin and his absence from the job.

Devlin, I believe is 45 yrs. old, so back in 1989 he would have been 21-22 yrs. old, something like that.

You do have to wonder if he was in that area driving around.

What about the guy who said he was an Art student? Any more info. on that?

With respect to Devlin, I wanted to point out some interesting things I learned today...
-> he worked at a pizza place in MO in 2007 (when he was arrested for Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby kidnappings).
-> The year before JW was abducted, a little boy named Scott Kleeschulte of St. Charles, Mo., aged 9 vanished (June 8, 1988). He had been out playing on the last day of school, and was last seen by his older sister while she was on her way to work. He has not yet been found. Devlin lived 19 miles from where Scott disappeared from. Devlin was investigated for possible involvement in Scott's disappearance, as well as several unsolved cases in Missouri and one in Illinois dating back to the the late 1980's. One of the cases listed (in the article I've linked to below) is Jacob's.
-> apparently Devlin denies any involvement in Scott's case, and took a lie detector and passed it. Devlin's lawyer has stated that Devlin was NOT involved in any of the other cases. I do not know if Devlin took lie detectors with respect to those cases.
http://www.inmytrends.com/parents-of-boy-missing-23-years-hope-for-new-leads.htm

I just found it interesting to read the article, and note that Devlin did work in a pizza shop, and was considered by LE with respect to the other cases. Interestingly too, police have still not managed to link any of the other cases together at all, let alone to one particular suspect.

I think we've seen this site before, but the 4th article down is an open letter from Patty W. to the kidnapper, and the 6th article down is the story of Jacob's kidnapping as it was printed in the Reader's Digest in 1999. The article has a lot of detail.
http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/2457

Anyone investigating may want to try emailing this Patricia woman?? Her email is listed in article. This is from July of 2010:

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/201...affling-details-emerge-about-unnamed-suspect/

Patricia on July 9, 2010 at 13:25
I need to know, whatever happened to the suspect that was seen in the Tom Thumb store the night of Jacob was taken. The older large man, wiht the scary demeanor and low raspy voice and stare. How can I find out what happened to the person in that sketch? Why do I ask? Because THAT is the man who pulled over to the side of the road the night my car ran out of gas, the night before Thanksgiving, enroute up to my daugher’s house, 2 to 3 weeks after Jacob’s disappearance. It is too long of a story to go into detail here. I already contacted a deputy “way back when” and he WENT TO THE WRONG PLACE.” This is the same man…..I got the sketch from the MPLS VA Police door while walking by, and was taken back and gasped, as this is the SAME man. It is a long story and I need to know what ever happened to that “Person in the store that night?” This man told me he lives on a farm about 7 mile OR SO back, which was just BEYOND the St. Joseph area, about 10 miles or so, and I though I would get gas in Alexander, BUT it did not work out, I miscaldulated and ran out of gas. He stated to me goes out every night driving on the “back roads” and that is how is spotted my car out of gas. I will NEVER forget how scared I was of him, well, it is a long story, but now that this has come out again, I will attempt to convey this story, again, as when I did the first time around, the deputy went to the wrong place to investigate, and I, in turn, just got caught up wiht my own personal things going on, and always had that night and event on the back burner and have always had just an awful feeling about this guy, and yes, he would have been in his late 50s to 60 years of age 20 years ago, low raspy voice, as stated elsewhere. There are a lot of other details but I need to know whatever happened to that man in the sketch? The second sketch of the man with the haunting eyes and demeanor? Who could I contact about this, and try, again, one more time to get an answer to this question of what happened to his guy?

Thanks

Patricia
Cbichonbuffy1@aol.com

LBG1 Reply:
July 9th, 2010 at 21:31

I don’t know what happened to the suspect who was seen at the Tom Thumb store. Here’s a link to a timeline of the events, which includes info on several suspects.

Jacob Wetterling Abduction Timeline

http://www.globegazette.com/article_2b0e6832-84d0-11df-85ff-001cc4c03286.html

(If you read through the timeline, the suspect sketch was changed several times. I still want to know what happened to this suspect guy from Paynesville also. (Paynesville is another small town south of St. Joe.)

"May 16, 1996: Search warrants authorities thought were sealed are released to the public. The warrants reveal three potential suspects authorities considered early in the investigation: A then 60-year-old St. Joseph-area man who confessed to the kidnapping one month after it occurred. The man was later eliminated as a suspect and moved to a nursing home because he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. A St. Cloud State University student who was committed to a mental institution one week after Jacob’s abduction. The man later was eliminated as a suspect and killed himself in another state. A Paynesville-area man who fit the description of a man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting a Cold Spring boy. Authorities searched his home three months after the Cold Spring abduction. Police then said that the man wasn’t a top suspect in the St. Joseph abduction, but at least one paragraph in the search warrant was blocked out."

there was that guy that worked at a turkey or poultry farm in Paynesvlle, it was, I believe, that molested lots of boys as well.

He went to prison, but he was found to be not viable either. I do not know why and I can't find the story anywhere.

Anyone investigating may want to try emailing this Patricia woman?? Her email is listed in article. This is from July of 2010:

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/201...affling-details-emerge-about-unnamed-suspect/

Patricia on July 9, 2010 at 13:25
I need to know, whatever happened to the suspect that was seen in the Tom Thumb store the night of Jacob was taken. The older large man, wiht the scary demeanor and low raspy voice and stare. How can I find out what happened to the person in that sketch? Why do I ask? Because THAT is the man who pulled over to the side of the road the night my car ran out of gas, the night before Thanksgiving, enroute up to my daugher’s house, 2 to 3 weeks after Jacob’s disappearance. It is too long of a story to go into detail here. I already contacted a deputy “way back when” and he WENT TO THE WRONG PLACE.” This is the same man…..I got the sketch from the MPLS VA Police door while walking by, and was taken back and gasped, as this is the SAME man. It is a long story and I need to know what ever happened to that “Person in the store that night?” This man told me he lives on a farm about 7 mile OR SO back, which was just BEYOND the St. Joseph area, about 10 miles or so, and I though I would get gas in Alexander, BUT it did not work out, I miscaldulated and ran out of gas. He stated to me goes out every night driving on the “back roads” and that is how is spotted my car out of gas. I will NEVER forget how scared I was of him, well, it is a long story, but now that this has come out again, I will attempt to convey this story, again, as when I did the first time around, the deputy went to the wrong place to investigate, and I, in turn, just got caught up wiht my own personal things going on, and always had that night and event on the back burner and have always had just an awful feeling about this guy, and yes, he would have been in his late 50s to 60 years of age 20 years ago, low raspy voice, as stated elsewhere. There are a lot of other details but I need to know whatever happened to that man in the sketch? The second sketch of the man with the haunting eyes and demeanor? Who could I contact about this, and try, again, one more time to get an answer to this question of what happened to his guy?

Thanks

Patricia
Cbichonbuffy1@aol.com

LBG1 Reply:
July 9th, 2010 at 21:31

I don’t know what happened to the suspect who was seen at the Tom Thumb store. Here’s a link to a timeline of the events, which includes info on several suspects.

Jacob Wetterling Abduction Timeline

http://www.globegazette.com/article_2b0e6832-84d0-11df-85ff-001cc4c03286.html

(If you read through the timeline, the suspect sketch was changed several times. I still want to know what happened to this suspect guy from Paynesville also. (Paynesville is another small town south of St. Joe.)

"May 16, 1996: Search warrants authorities thought were sealed are released to the public. The warrants reveal three potential suspects authorities considered early in the investigation: A then 60-year-old St. Joseph-area man who confessed to the kidnapping one month after it occurred. The man was later eliminated as a suspect and moved to a nursing home because he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. A St. Cloud State University student who was committed to a mental institution one week after Jacob’s abduction. The man later was eliminated as a suspect and killed himself in another state. A Paynesville-area man who fit the description of a man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting a Cold Spring boy. Authorities searched his home three months after the Cold Spring abduction. Police then said that the man wasn’t a top suspect in the St. Joseph abduction, but at least one paragraph in the search warrant was blocked out."
-----------------------

Wow, shergal you rock! This is exactly the place I read details about the man in the Tom Thumb who often drove around the area:

Quote from the above posting:

"He stated to me goes out every night driving on the “back roads” and that is how is spotted my car out of gas."

Sorry, to quote once again, the entire post by shergal, but it is information that hasn't been read or heard about by most people.

shergal,

What I was going to say, is that I knew that the Tom Thumb clerk story lined up with this woman's story that she ran out of gas--same recognition of the suspect in the sketch.

-----------------------

Wow, shergal you rock! This is exactly the place I read details about the man in the Tom Thumb who often drove around the area:

"He stated to me goes out every night driving on the “back roads” and that is how is spotted my car out of gas."

Sorry, to quote once again, the entire post by shergal, but it is information that hasn't been read or heard about by most people.

That quote makes me think of a local guy I knew (who is dead now, he died in 1997) who used to do nothing but drive around back roads here in St. Cloud and in neighboring towns. He looked exactly like the younger picture sketch - the one with a guy with a cap. This guy was adopted from a large family because his bio parents couldn't care for all his siblings - they had like 12 or 16 kids, as I recall. He told us once that he spent most of his time trying to find his missing brothers, and he actually found one once at a football game at St. John's. This was back in the early 70's though. So the ages would be off. This guy was already 28 back in the early 70's, and Jacob wasn't even born until 1978.

It makes me wonder though, how many other local people know someone who they have thought *may* be involved, or they thought the sketch looked like a relative, but have just never said anything, because the ages weren't right, or because they didn't want to get involved. Someone out there has to know something. Whether it's the current POI's family, or some other local - someone knows. (Or possibly it's someone who feels he's already been absolved because he "confessed it" and was forgiven.)

-----------------------

Wow, you really do rock! I sent an email to Patricia. I will let you know if I hear back from her. Do you think this guy was from Paynesville? It is hard to tell from the posting.

Wow, you really do rock! I sent an email to Patricia. I will let you know if I hear back from her. Do you think this guy was from Paynesville? It is hard to tell from the posting.

Glad to help. ;-) I'm trying to figure out.. "This man told me he lives on a farm about 7 mile OR SO back, which was just BEYOND the St. Joseph area, about 10 miles or so, and I though I would get gas in Alexander," (I'm sure she meant Alexandria here.)

Depending on which way you're heading - but Freeport and Melrose are small towns between St. Joe and Alexandria. Alexandria is west of us. It could be any farm really, there are tons of farms between St. Joe and Alexandria. I'll see if I can grab a map.

OK, not sure if this google maps link will work, but I typed in driving directions from St. Joseph, Mn to Alexandria, Mn. It's a little over an hour drive on I-94. If this map doesn't work, you can just go to google maps and type in those directions.
Google Maps
She would have likely been on I-94 unless she was driving on back roads herself. She doesn't really state where she started from. Towns between the two cities are in order; Avon (where the Quik Mart was that a clerk saw the old creepy guy staring at people like in St. Joe), Albany, Freeport, Melrose, Sauk centre, are the main towns along I-94. This is all really rural, Sauk Centre is a little larger - they have a museum with the runestone from the vikings. ;-)

If you look on the map, Paynesville is quite a ways from all these towns, it's about 27 miles from St. Joe - according to my hubby. Paynesville is further south from Cold Spring on Hwy. 23.

It will be interesting if that's still a working email and you get some info.

Please excuse my post here because it is veering away for a moment to something else.

I'm going to start by saying that this may or may not pertain to this case, or that of missing Joshua Guimond, but I felt I needed to document it:

Several people have questioned the idea that evidence may have been destroyed by incinerator, in 2 possible locations that we know of, so far. This being in the ash pile at the Rassier farm and what other people have said about an incinerator at St. John's.

Last evening I had what I would term a nightmare or a dream so tangible and immediate it was very disconcerting. It may or may not pertain to these cases as I have said; however, myself and several other people I'm sure have been praying about some resolution to these cases for a long time. It was as if I knew what it would be if a person's body were changed to ashes and that soul knowing that this had happend. Almost as if information were being supplied to me.

On the other hand, it could very well have been prompted by some television show I may have watched.

All I can say is that I woke up and had to confirm to myself that it was a dream.

Hi guys I just wanted to chime in here. I have been off these boards for a while but this case has always intrigued me. I read through this thread last night and learned some things about this case I did not know before. Whats the deal with the Bahmer brothers? Were they involved in Jacob's abduction or no? Apparantly one of them said they were but apparantly that is not true? Or the raspy voiced older man that helped a woman on this board who ran out of gas? Was that the same creepy old man seen in Tom Thumb video store? I missed the info about blood on an umbrella stand, how is this related to Jacob? If someone could answer my questions I would sure appreciate it. This is the SCARIEST missing childs case out there I wish it would be solved.

Today I've been spending some time researching the doe network... I'm checking to see if there are any unidentified remains that have been found that match Jacob's general desription (haven't found anything yet). I'm also check to see if any unidentified remains match the description(s) of the abductor!!

I'm sure these steps have been taken before (though I wonder how long ago it was last done by LE?). Today, on Jacob's birthday, I encourage you all to think a little outside the box. What can we try that we haven't tried yet, or in a long time to bring resolution to this case?

We've poured over all the material which is available to the public. We've worked over every theory we have come up with to date -- so what haven't we done yet?

Has there been any response to the person who emailed Patricia above (the person who says she saw a creepy man whilst stopped along the side of the road?).

To Jacob's Family and Loved Ones:
-> We will not give up!

NOC girl-
Most of your questions' answers are that we don't know and we are trying to figure out if the man is the same man that helped the lady who ran out of gas. I wonder if she had already contacted police and if they would take her claim seriously.
The umbrella stand among other items were taken from DR's home to look for any DNA.

concentric-
do u think the ash pile at DR farm came from the Abbey incinerator or from their own burning barrels or fire pits (if they have any).

A man's body was found on September 20, 1994 in the Mississippi River, in Jefferson County, Missouri. To my knowledge he has not yet been identified. Mr. Doe's information can be found here: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/182ummo.html

Take a look at the first image and see if you think it might resemble the sketch of the abductor? For the record, I'm not sure if they match - but this is the kind of thing that I'm working on at the moment... you never know right?

2el77ud.jpg

6hup9h.jpg

I don't think they natch. The ears are different and the Jacob suspect has a downturned mouth with pronounced nasolabial folds.

I deleted my earlier post, comparing the two sketches because when I thought about it again, I realized that my post could cause serious confusion regarding the suspect sketch -- people might confuse the sketch I compared against as being that of the supsect!!

To be clear - the post above which Shergal quoted was mine. The FIRST sketch is that of a BODY FOUND IN MISSISSIPI in the 1990's. This person was NOT considered a suspect in JW's abduction to my knowledge.

The SECOND sketch IS that of an actual suspect.

Just to clarify, DR was a student in the area whos parents were out of town right? His family owned a nearby farm?

Just to clarify, DR was a student in the area whos parents were out of town right? His family owned a nearby farm?

DR was a music teacher at Cold Spring and St. John's. He has lived with his parents his entire life except for when attending college out of state. His parents were on a trip in Europe. His family owns the farm where Jacob disappeared (right in front of their road into the farm). For more info on Jacob's case you can read a quick summary here:
http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/October-2009/Without-a-Trace/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli