MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the 23rd anniversary of Jacob's abduction. I'll be thinking of Jacob and his family today and pray LE will solve this case soon.

somewhere on all of these comments is the link to the newspaper of St. John's.

Did DR go to St. John's prep or St. John's? I forget.

There is a long history with the family. I believe the father went to St. John's prep as well as other relatives

somewhere on all of these comments is the link to newspapers of St. John's which go back for decades.

Did DR go to St. John's prep or St. John's? I forget.

There is a long history with the family. I believe the father went to St. John's prep as well as other relatives

23 years ago today. Where are you Jacob?

bless the Wetterling family on this sad anniversary. Jacob is in my prayers.

Jbrown, that is the paper, but there are archives of it that go back for decades.

Leave a porch light on for Jacob tonight

kymmcd--it does. Why not send it in to LE and see what happens.

Does anybody know the name of the detective currently assigned to Jacob's case?

The current Doe Network site (http://doenetwork.org/cases/132dmmn.html) states:"The boys described the man as being approximately 40 - 50 years old and 5'8" This is a fairly detailed description that I was unaware of.

Does anyone know the basis for that description and the composites? (I was under the impression that the guy with the hat was from Jared, who was abducted but not killed, earlier in Coldsprings, MN)

One "problem" with the case is that much of the information now available is from news accounts that came after 2005 when the whole case was being "re-thought" with the basic assumption now that there was no car and Jacob was taken on foot to a local residence (i.e. DR)

I suspect that the original investigation focused on a middle aged guy with a car who was probably the same guy who did the Coldspring capper. That must have hit a dead end.

I have always felt the DETAILED account of the two surviving boys was the single most critical evidence in the case and everything else flowed from that yet I have never read a detailed account of what they said. A 13 year old is perfectly capable of a reasonable guess as to age, height, build, clothing and a description of the mask the guy was wearing.

I wonder about the description as well. In this article, Aaron is quoted saying, "I thought it was a high school kid pulling a joke on us." I realize it was dark out and the man was wearing a mask, but there is quite a gap between someone who is in high school and someone who is in his 40's or 50's. An 11-year-old is old enough to know the difference. But again, it was dark out and the man was wearing a mask.

http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=64655247

I've been thinking a lot about Jacob. It's been 23 years since a masked gunman abducted him from the ditch of a rural road in St. Joesph, MN on Oct 22, 1989. Here are some articles they ran on the 23rd anniversary. He would be 34 years old today. I am also planning to feature his case next on my Dean Marie Pyle Peters & Cold Cases Blog. God Bless his family.

*Keeping the Porchlights on for Jacob & all missing children:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/10/22/advocates-let-lights-shine-for-jacob-wetterling/

**Here is an older link from Nightline. Lots of info from an interview with his mother:
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Eli...ssing-20-years/comments?type=story&id=8874577

(So sorry if these are already posted!)

The description of the man with the mask. Now what exactly would someone base a description of a person who is wearing a mask in the dark?

When I was a junior high student and high school student, I thought some of my teachers to be olddddddddd. When I look in yearbooks, I see that they must have been in their late 20's or early thirties.

There was no 13 year old child in the abduction. The remaining boys were 10 and 11, hardly people who are able to give an accurate description of a masked gunman in the pitch dark

Hi, I have been reading all of these posts for days now and it is hard not to pull out a notebook and start writing down facts. There are a couple of odd things that just bother me. One is the guy who said he got there before the police did. If no one heard his car (except DR) than is it possible that a car was parked somewhere on the property and not heard or that the car DR heard was someone else? Did the one who got their before police actually drive down the driveway or did he stop at the end where the bikes were? If he drove down the road, why would he do that knowing that it was someones private property? Maybe the person had a car and pulled down Dale on their way out knowing that police were going to be coming, he would have avoided any traffic coming down that main road. And what evidence were they able to find, that the guy who got to the scene first was let go. Did he see any cars? I know this last question was already answered, but how sure was he that he didn't see any cars and what was the last car he did see? If there was an altercation at the second telephone pole, what caused it to stop and end the trail? How soon did they get the dogs out there looking?
They said a sock was found 100 (feet or yards), but never say from where or what direction. Nor did they ever say whether it was Jacob's or not. Was it found in the forest section of DR's property near his house or in the opposite direction (towards Jacob's house)? I think the sock would tell a lot about the direction Jacob and his abductor went.
When I first read the beginning articles, it said the one of the kids heard something to his left. That would be the opposite side of the road from DR's property. What would someone be doing over there if they were not positive the kids would be riding past there. Did they search Jacob's parents outer area of their house (for foot prints, trash, or something that show that someone was outside of their house)? How dark was it that evening? Have they ever made the kids listen to DR's voice? Years later, nothing ever came out about the search warrants. Does the sketch resemble the man who owned the barber shop (I cant find the article on him with his picture)?
The kid Jared who was taken and eventually released, did he ever explain what the silo looked like or the light? He said it was different than any he had seen, but the details never made it out. Does his description of the man match the description of the man at the store? This could mean there were more than one person involved (DR maybe just being the kidnapper, but handing kids off to someone else). If that was 9-10 months before, were their any abductions 9-10 months after Jacob anywhere in the nearby states?
This case really saddens me. I truly hope that it comes out what happened and where he is. My son is 13. We live in a smaller town surrounded by big cities and I worry about him constantly. I told him about this story and he says "Great, now your not going to let me out of the house". I think no matter how we feel about this story, we definitely learn something and teach our kids what to do if something like this happens to one of them. I really hope they find him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018