MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an attorney so am wondering....do you have any ideas what 'something' LE may have on DR? Would this 'something' be physical evidence? And if so, why is that not enough? OR...is it all circumstantial? Can they issue a search warrant on circumstantial evidence?
If there's 10 pieces to the puzzle and they have 9 pieces I can understand waiting for the 10th piece...maybe it's forensic...I don't know. Just curious why LE can't open up more after 23 years.

I think to get such an invasive search warrant, whatever they have is pretty damning, but what we see from the Casey Anthony case, it has to be a lot.

They said new technology allowed them the latest info that permitted the search warrant.

They are keeping items in evidence in case even better techology comes along. Maybe they have some kind of partial DNA from Jacob on things from DR, but the sequence could fit too many people? I have no idea if that is even possible.

Think about it. Heavy equipment digging up a farm. Evidence they get in one search gets them another search warrant.

Really?

We are talking very invasive

human,

Thank you for the info regarding DR's search warrant. Makes sense. Somewhere in these threads a former detective posted and stated that he thought LE initially botched the case and that in his opinion JW never left the area which alludes to your comments regarding digging up the yard.

human,

Thank you for the info regarding DR's search warrant. Makes sense. Somewhere in these threads a former detective posted and stated that he thought LE initially botched the case and that in his opinion JW never left the area which alludes to your comments regarding digging up the yard.

Wow, thats interesting! do you think you could relocate it and re-post?

According to a Defense Attorney I know, in California at least, getting a Judge to sign off on a search Warrant is extremely easy. "Suspicious behavior" and "evasive answers" as determined by a Police Officer are enough. This is just another reason Defense Attorneys recommend against talking to the police for any reason.

I have no idea what the basis for the search warrant was but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that there is some "compelling evidence" against DR that the Sheriff's Dept knows about but we don't.

According to a Defense Attorney I know, in California at least, getting a Judge to sign off on a search Warrant is extremely easy. "Suspicious behavior" and "evasive answers" as determined by a Police Officer are enough. This is just another reason Defense Attorneys recommend against talking to the police for any reason.

I have no idea what the basis for the search warrant was but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that there is some "compelling evidence" against DR that the Sheriff's Dept knows about but we don't.

Maybe in California it is different. That is the State that has had so many issues with crazy criminals.

The sheriff stated it was because of advances in technology. It is posted on here somewhere if you wish to find the article.

Originally Posted by cGorg
human,

Marlins, I will surely look for it...I have been reading for 1 year but just began taking notes...so will look for it again. Some quotes stick with you and relocating them can be a bit tedious but will try find it.

Marlins, I will surely look for it...I have been reading for 1 year but just began taking notes...so will look for it again. Some quotes stick with you and relocating them can be a bit tedious but will try find it.

It is somewhere in the last few threads,

Don't know where and do not know how to search for it on here.

This will sound very strange given the circumstances...just a random thought that occurred to me after listening to Sheriff Sanner say they have failed the people which is why they continue the investigation.....is it possible LE has nothing on DR? And since they have nothing....they had to DO SOMETHING. If they actually had someTHING then why not use that THING and indict him? Why wait for ANOTHER thing?

This is my opinion only, I have no information to support it. I think that Patty's conversation with DR is what led to that 2010 search warrant. DR said something like "the person in the area who probably did this could have buried Jacob in the gravel pit". By bringing dogs into the search, once the dogs found a "scent", presumably the scent of bones, that would be probable cause to expand the search. The dogs were brought in from state (Oklahoma I think, or Louisiana - not sure), so they were not just any old set of search dogs.

Again, my opinion only.

This is my opinion only, I have no information to support it. I think that Patty's conversation with DR is what led to that 2010 search warrant. DR said something like "the person in the area who probably did this could have buried Jacob in the gravel pit". By bringing dogs into the search, once the dogs found a "scent", presumably the scent of bones, that would be probable cause to expand the search. The dogs were brought in from state (Oklahoma I think, or Louisiana - not sure), so they were not just any old set of search dogs.

Again, my opinion only.

Could be. i remember thinking it was so odd that he would say that.

Could be, but for sure the sheriff said that there were advances in technology that led to the new search.

It is on here for sure

Again, my opinion only.

If the dogs hit on bones, it was not chicken bones. They would be human bones. So what the heck????

Thanks to Shergal's sleuthing skills, I learned about a book written by former FBI agent Al Garber, "Striving to Be the Best: A Memoir". Mr. Garber was the FBI Agent in Charge in St. Joseph immediately following Jacob's abduction. The following are tidbits of info from the pages related to Jacob's abduction and the early days of the investigation.

* Jerry Wetterling's calm demeanor led some people to suspect he may have had some involvement or knowledge of the kidnapping. However, he was checked out, including a lie detector test with no indication of deception. Jerry's behavior had been consistent his whole adult life - he was quickly cleared as a suspect.

* Suspects began to develop immediately. A prison inmate at Stillwater told another inmate that he cad kidnapped Jacob. A recording device was installed in the prisoner's cell and he was recorded talking about Jacob's kidnapping. An undercover agent was sent in. The suspect told the agent that he wanted to pay to have his car destroyed. The suspect's car was torn apart from bumper to bumper but no evidence was found. A search warrant served on the suspect's rural farmhouse and turned up nothing. Garber and other LE attempted to interview the suspect in prison but he was uncooperative.

* FBI investigators noted a strong possibility that Jacob's kidnapping case was related to Jared's 9 months prior. A suspect was identified and a car was found that was owned by the suspect at the time of Jared's abduction. Fibers found in the car were similar to fibers from Jared's coat. The man was arrested (I could be wrong, but I believe this is the 1st time we ever heard about someone being arrested in Jared's case?) and charged, but charges were later dropped when the man lawyered up.

* Most information that came in from psychics was recorded and acted on, because LE believed that a person may be passing on legitimate information without having to name a source.

Mr. Garber credits many family members, friends, and colleagues among those who helped guide his career and provide inspiration for the book. However, it is the inscription on the inside cover of the book that indicates where Mr. Garber's passion lies:

"This book is officially published on October 22, 2009, the 20th anniversary of the kidnapping of Jacob Wetterling"

If the dogs hit on bones, it was not chicken bones. They would be human bones. So what the heck????

The rules for probable cause are pretty loose. A positive hit from a dog has been recently upheld by the US Supreme Court as probable cause. Hard to say what was found, but it would not take much to get a warrant granted to search the rest of the property.

Maybe in California it is different. That is the State that has had so many issues with crazy criminals.

The sheriff stated it was because of advances in technology. It is posted on here somewhere if you wish to find the article.

I suspect it was something along the lines of infrared imagery. Perhaps something where one of the old outbuilding stood that some analyst thought "was consistant with" a buried body. If that was the case, it didn't pan out.

* FBI investigators noted a strong possibility that Jacob's kidnapping case was related to Jared's 9 months prior. A suspect was identified and a car was found that was owned by the suspect at the time of Jared's abduction. Fibers found in the car were similar to fibers from Jared's coat. The man was arrested (I could be wrong, but I believe this is the 1st time we ever heard about someone being arrested in Jared's case?) and charged, but charges were later dropped when the man lawyered up.

I had never heard this part about fibers being found in a car similar to Jared's coat, and someone actually being arrested for it. Kind of odd that they just dropped the charges just because the guy lawyered up. I wonder if there is any more info out there on this?

I had never heard that about Jared either.

I had never heard this part about fibers being found in a car similar to Jared's coat, and someone actually being arrested for it. Kind of odd that they just dropped the charges just because the guy lawyered up. I wonder if there is any more info out there on this?

I know - I blinked hard and read that part over again - just unbelievable that info hasn't come out before now. I had to double check to make sure I was reading in the right section of the book!

Keep digging Team! There's a lot of stuff to be uncovered out there I bet.

Well, ELOC, you seem to be the digger right now.

Did you find anything on DR sticking his head out the window that night? He was not named in the article.

Have you found out anything about the laborer on the turkey farm that was a molester? Have you found out the name od the person arrested as that would be public info?

Anyone have any ideas how we can find the name of the guy who was arrested for Jared and let go?

The info is public, but a long time ago.

So , how can we find it?

If it is with FOI, how do you do that?

FOi is not free. i wonder how much it would cost? There is a charge perhaps for a person's time and there sure is for copying. But that fee would not be much.

Who would you ask? Stearns co? Or was her arrested in another county? The one that starts with K? I am too lazy to look up the right spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState