MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've understood, Kevin's car going into DR's driveway and then going back out obliterated the perp's footprints and just left that solitary footprint of Jacob's digging down and resisting.

shergal, that does make sense on the surface...but....Kevin's car entering the driveway would be on the right side or nearly so....and exiting the driveway would be on the right side or nearly so...most drivers naturally stick to the right side of the road by habit + rule of the road(as compared to England)....so it appears from the photograph of Jacob's footprints that HE was in the middle of the road and assuming of course the perp had a hold of Jacob that he was either leading him(pulling him) or was alongside him. In either case, is it possible that both these sets of footprints were EXACTLY run over by Kevin's car? Imagine if you will, an adult, forcibly walking a child by the elbow(or arm).....and possibly with resistance....from the abduction site to either a vehicle or physically picking him up from the road....would those 2 sets of footprints be obliterated by Kevin's car? The physical footprints of the perp and Jacob would have had to coincide with the tire tracks of Kevin's car.

LE determined that they were Jacob's footprints. I don't think the picture online is very good, but the police made castings of the footprints at the time. So they probably have better pictures and models.

"The police arrived six minutes later and went to the place where the boys had seen the man. Jacob’s footprints were on the driveway by where the man had been standing. But then they ended and his toe sort of dug into the gravel. There appeared to be some resistance at that point. There were tire tracks on the driveway."

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/med...race/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

"All that remained of him on the gravel road was a spot where Jacob's footprints seemed to show resistance. And then nothing.
"http://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators-dig-evidence-wetterling-case-mom-hopeful/story?id=11075883
The first sentence of the article states that a man stepped out of the woods....there isn't any woods near the driveway or the approach on the opposite side. These reporters use 'artistic license' or they don't pay attention to the details. I see alot of these reports misconstruing the facts for dramatic effect.

shergal, I do see your point about Kevin's car obliterating the footprints as the driver's side of the car is predominantly in the middle of the road and if Jacob's and assuming the perp's footprints were in the middle of the road it is plausible he ran right over them. However, a person's gait is anywhere from 12" to 18" apart and the only time a person would walk in a straight line would be on a tightrope or a sobriety test.

LE determined that they were Jacob's footprints. I don't think the picture online is very good, but the police made castings of the footprints at the time. So they probably have better pictures and models.

"The police arrived six minutes later and went to the place where the boys had seen the man. Jacob’s footprints were on the driveway by where the man had been standing. But then they ended and his toe sort of dug into the gravel. There appeared to be some resistance at that point. There were tire tracks on the driveway."

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/med...race/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

"All that remained of him on the gravel road was a spot where Jacob's footprints seemed to show resistance. And then nothing.
"http://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators-dig-evidence-wetterling-case-mom-hopeful/story?id=11075883

They are prints that attempt to maintain balance and control. I would need top down photographs to tell for sure. I am a little surprised there are no heel or toe dig in's unless I cannot see them from the angle of the picture.

How did the investigating officer determine they were Jacob's prints? Using another pair of Jacob's shoes and looking at the wear patterns would confirm one way or the other. If Jacobs mother knew what brand and style shoes she purchased for him, the manufacturer would know the tread pattern. There are much more sophisticated methods in use now.

shergal, I do see your point about Kevin's car obliterating the footprints as the driver's side of the car is predominantly in the middle of the road and if Jacob's and assuming the perp's footprints were in the middle of the road it is plausible he ran right over them. However, a person's gait is anywhere from 12" to 18" apart and the only time a person would walk in a straight line would be on a tightrope or a sobriety test.

The perp's prints were there, however they may have been mixed with Jacobs. I don't think the car tire print would have totally covered them. I agree with you based on gait and straddle.

Deleted "van" theory due to armed perp with mask.

I believe Boots is retired LE?

Well that idea has crossed my mind, but I would think a retired LE officer would exhibit more professionalism than this, even when using a pseudo-name. In their postings, Boots is fabricating links between people, accusing RL of being unusually familiar with DR, threatening to expose his criminal record, etc. Just does not seem to be consistent with a LE officer of good repute.

And, if we're thinking of the same person - he has a political reputation to think about as well, albeit in a very small town. Also - that particular LE detective has an alternate theory about what happened to Jacob - he theorizes he was taken by the same perps that took Johnny Gosch.

Now you all have me thinking and rethinking those prints in the picture....

The piles of dirt at the toes means the individual is being pushed or dragged forwards...or was pulling somone towards them. The perps prints should be there, even if Jacob's prints are on top of them.... Something is "off". Anyone have contact with LE that can get some top down and closer side pictures of the prints for me to look at?

And I am back to how LE determined they were Jacob's prints?

The prints look "flat" and that is unusual as I am not seeing "pressure releases" in them...possibly due to the picture.

Now you all have me thinking and rethinking those prints in the picture....

The piles of dirt at the toes means the individual is being pushed or dragged forwards...or was pulling somone towards them. The perps prints should be there, even if Jacob's prints are on top of them.... Something is "off". Anyone have contact with LE that can get some top down and closer side pictures of the prints for me to look at?

And I am back to how LE determined they were Jacob's prints?

The prints look "flat" and that is unusual as I am not seeing "pressure releases" in them...possibly due to the picture.

You could call captain Pam Jensen at the Stearns County sheriff's office at 320-251-4240, or email at sherrif@co.Stearns.mn.us

Calling may be better than emailing. I think you could be of great value to solving this case!

Left a voice message. I will update you if I get a call back.

If Jacob's footprints went all the way up to where the 2nd light pole was - that is a LONG ways. There is no way that a tire track could have covered up the perp's prints for that entire distance. Maybe the police have more footprint pics than just the one floating around online?
http://saintautumn.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/stjoe2.jpg

I tend to agree. It would be impossible for someone not trained as a tracker to obliterate their own prints and just leave Jacobs and the tire prints.

If Jacob's footprints went all the way up to where the 2nd light pole was - that is a LONG ways. There is no way that a tire track could have covered up the perp's prints for that entire distance. Maybe the police have more footprint pics than just the one floating around online?
http://saintautumn.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/stjoe2.jpg

Keep in mind the 2nd pole in 1989 is actually the first pole now. ELOCsoul established that in 1989 there was a pole right near the abduction site(east side of the road). That pole is not there today. So in 1989 that pole was the first pole and the second pole was approximately 40 yards(120') east of the pavement.

I did get a call back. Regrettably they are unable to share the print evidence, so if someone can get me a much better picture from what has been released, I would appreciate it.

If anyone has followed the Susan Powell case, I think you would be as astounded as i am with the info LE has.

I think with Jacob's case we are seeing a dot of the information that exists.

I agree Human. When LE took certain belongings from the DR farm on top of what was dug up...just imagine the info they have on all of that which we are not privy too. But we all know where they are spending the money which says alot about the info they have.

I cannot remember.

Was there any description of the clothing the perp was wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734